google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Newsday Crossword Puzzle, Have a Look

Advertisements

Feb 4, 2008

Newsday Crossword Puzzle, Have a Look

Orange advised me to try Newsday crossword last week. You can see her reason here on my Jan 30 entry.

She is an expert solver, and respected by so many constructors and editors and other expert solvers. So when she says Jump, I just... jump, with some hesitation and resistance.

This morning I did their Monday puzzle by Gail Grabowski.

Do you want to know the result? I almost finished the puzzle. Only one blank left, but I also made one mistake. I put CRANK JOKE instead of CRACK JOKE for 11D Make someone laugh. So for 23A: Anklets and argyles, now I have _ONKS. I did not know the meaning of argyles, and I always thoughts anklets are those pretty ankle bracelets. Socks! I also had difficulty to think a word for 22D: Musical number. I was really thinking of number. The answer is SONG.

The whole solving process was very smooth. The clues felt very natural, and the answers were words I actually use in daily life. Nothing strained. It felt like making putts on a well-kept green with no breaks, just straight.

The Star Tribune green sometimes feels like a newly aerated one, you know, so grainy, and the ball runs amiss from time to time. But it's my home course. I guess I will stick with it for a while. In the meantime, I am starting my journey with Newsday.

C. C.

1 comment:

Orange said...

Yay! I'm glad it went smoothly for you.