21A. Good name for a Gateway City gun dealer? : ST LOUIS ARMS
26A. Good name for a Windy City nudist festival? : CHICAGO BARES
43A. Good name for a Motor City butcher shop? : DETROIT LOINS
50A. Good name for an Empire City comedy club? : NEW YORK JEST
figuring out the clever theme helped a lot with this one.
1. Harebrained prank : CAPER. that's a great word.
6. Casino freebie : COMP. complimentary.
10. Slow-cooked entrée : STEW. it's that time of year again.
14. End of a series : OMEGA. last letter of the greek alphabet.
15. Away from the breeze : ALEE
16. The gallbladder is shaped like one : PEAR. did not know that.
17. Noted storyteller : AESOP. wikipedia: Although his existence remains uncertain and (if they ever existed) no writings by him survive, numerous tales credited to him were gathered across the centuries and in many languages in a storytelling tradition that continues to this day.
18. Circulate, as library books : LEND. i think it was crockett who first linked this:
19. Like some borrowed library books : LATE. another great library tune:
20. Blast cause : TNT
24. Slugging pct., e.g. : STAT. baseball.
25. Be ready (for) : GET SET
31. Air traffic control device : RADAR
32. Thing : ITEM
33. "Holy Toledo!" : WOW
36. The Bard's river : AVON
37. Dig (into) : DELVE
39. Andean capital : LIMA
40. Actress Harris of "thirtysomething" : MEL. fiftysomething now.
41. Stink : REEK
42. World Series game : POKER. tricky.
46. Certifiable : INSANE
49. Civil disturbance : RIOT
53. Geologic time frame : ERA
56. Colorless : DRAB
57. Fall from above : RAIN
58. Swinelike beast : TAPIR. strange looking creature, below is a brazilian tapir.
60. Just sitting around : IDLE
61. Hamburg's river : ELBE. see?
62. Are : EXIST
63. Didn't let out of one's sight : EYED
64. They're below average : DEES. grades, not cups.
65. Floors : DECKS
1. Winter wear : COAT
2. "You said it, sister!" : AMEN
3. Crop threat : PEST
4. It might need a boost : EGO
5. Andre 3000, for one : RAP STAR. no idea.
6. Beckon : CALL TO
7. Pats on pancakes, maybe : OLEO. yuck.
8. Array of choices : MENU
9. Dog's breeding history : PEDIGREE
10. Impact sounds : SPLATS
11. Result of a sad story? : TEARS
12. Invitation on a fictional cake : EAT ME. alice in wonderland.
13. Take forcibly : WREST
22. Place for a price : TAG
23. Appear to be : SEEM
24. Read quickly : SCAN
26. Pull an all-nighter, maybe : CRAM. doing that a lot lately.
27. Contain : HAVE
28. One put on a pedestal : IDOL
29. Sitcom noncom : BILKO. non-commissioned officer, in the sitcom sergeant bilko.
30. Off-rd. conveyance : ATV. all terrain vehicle.
33. User-edited site : WIKI
34. Broken mirror, say : OMEN
35. Serious hostilities : WARS
37. Dissuaded : DETERRED
38. Racket or rocket extension : EER. racketeer, rocketeer.
39. Booty : LOOT
41. Gambling town on I-80 : RENO
42. Schemed : PLOTTED
43. Convertible sofa : DAYBED
44. Castle and Cara : IRENES
45. "Whether __ nobler ...": Hamlet : 'TIS
46. Many a low-budget film : INDIE. independent.
47. Totally square : NERDY
48. Low, moist area : SWALE
51. Leafy veggie : KALE. in season, having this often lately.
52. Correspond : JIBE
53. Many a high-budget film : EPIC
54. Game of world domination : RISK
55. Skills : ARTS
59. Cut from the staff : AXE.