theme: a dime a dozen
17a. 12 : BIG TEN TEAM COUNT. Big Ten has 12 teams.
30a. 12 : NOTES IN AN OCTAVE. here's a visual, from C to C (little shout-out to CC):
maybe some of our musical musical commenters will chime in here with more info, my head was spinning reading about the technicalities.
49a. 12 : CENTURY BEGUN MCI. 1101.
62a. What this puzzle's three identical clues can represent : DAY MONTH AND YEAR
i am reminded of this august puzzle. except, to make it even better, today is 12/12/12, i love timely puzzles! i wonder how long this has been in the pipeline? and how lovely to see our own marti and don hard-g team up, another dynamic duo, congratulations!
finals week for me, so i'm gonna knock this out and get back to it ...
1. Life and Risk : GAMES. board games.
6. Pkg. markings : UPC'S. universal product codes.
10. Yoda trainee : JEDI
14. Lacking a point : INANE
15. __-dieu : PRIE. french for pray to god, which is what this kind of bench is called:
16. Nativity scene animals : OXEN
20. ID theft target : SSN. social security number.
21. __-Aid : KOOL. ew.
22. Memo lead-off : IN RE. latin for in the matter of.
23. Our Gang word spoken with a hand signal : OTAY. the little rascals.
25. Garage type : TWO CAR
28. Spring growth : BUD
33. Detective Wolfe : NERO
34. Room with a remote : DEN
35. Yet again : ANEW
36. Norwegian throne name : OLAF
39. Color like aqua : TEAL
41. 1990s Expos manager : ALOU
44. __ long way: help considerably : GO A
46. Shooter ammo : PEAS. haha.
54. Pointe balancing point : TOE. ooch.
55. Versatile veggie : POTATO
56. Go another way : TURN
57. Set up a Titleist, say : TEED
59. "Vamoose!" : SHOO
61. Collector's objective : SET. anyone else watch market warriors?
66. Ex-Dodger Hershiser : OREL
67. Revival meeting shout : AMEN
68. Prefix in skin care brand names : DERMA
69. Rapids phenomenon : EDDY
70. Cool one's heels : BIDE. wait.
71. Full of spunk : SASSY
1. Martini with a onion : GIBSON. gin martini for me, please.
2. Cox sitcom co-star : ANISTON. courtney and jennifer, from friends.
3. Influential businessperson : MAGNATE. "an entrepreneur who has achieved wealth and prominence from a particular industry."
4. Tolkien creature with branches : ENT. lord of the rings.
5. Car radio button : SEEK
6. City area associated with affluence : UPTOWN
7. Install beforehand, as software : PRE-LOAD
8. Org. with moles : CIA. a mole is an informant within an organization.
9. Th.D.-issuing school : SEM. a doctorate of theology is issued from a seminary school.
10. "Benny & __": Depp film : JOON. sweet movie.
11. Like many commuter towns : EXURBAN.
12. "Indochine" Oscar nominee Catherine : DENEUVE
13. QB's flub : INT. interception.
18. Innocent's claim : NOT I. said the fly.
19. Publication sales fig. : CIRCulation
24. Bad news upon arriving at home? : YER OUT. hee.
26. Website with gadget reviews : C-NET
27. Super-duper : A ONE.
29. Morning moisture : DEW
31. South-of-the-border sun : SOL. spanish for sun.
32. Gift : TALENT
37. Soil-related prefix : AGRO. agrochemical.
38. Racer A.J. : FOYT
40. Kwik-E-Mart proprietor : APU. the simpsons.
41. Do one's part? : ACT. great clue.
42. Bodysuit named for a trapeze artist : LEOTARD. made famous by french acrobatic performer jules leotard.
43. Like the jack of hearts : ONE EYED
45. Chagrined : ABASHED
47. Ones who make you chuckle : AMUSERS
48. Ones who make you guffaw : SCREAMS. scream in the sense of something funny - a guffaw is a hearty laugh.
50. Prom hairstyle : UPDO
51. Natural gas component : ETHANE
52. "Continue ..." : GO ON
53. Where work piles up : IN TRAY
58. "Little" girl in "David Copperfield" : EM'LY. playmate of david copperfield.
60. Vegas figures : ODDS
62. Fawning critter : DOE
63. Catch red-handed : NAB
64. "I didn't need to hear that," in texts : TMI. too much information.