google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday June 2, 2013 Mark Bickham

Advertisements

Jun 2, 2013

Sunday June 2, 2013 Mark Bickham

Theme: "Hair Majesty" - The first word in each theme entry is a hairstyle.

24A. Leader of the Wild Bunch gang : BUTCH CASSIDY


26A. Plush floor covering : SHAG CARPET


53A. Greet from a distance : WAVE HELLO


93A. Dreaded musician? : BOB MARLEY. Dupe with 4D. Hopes it never happens : DREADS THE DAY

118. Low-altitude delivery agent : CROP DUSTER


122. Fetal metaphor : BUN IN THE OVEN


17. One way to decide : FLIP A COIN


40D. Scenic Massachusetts route : MOHAWK TRAIL. Remember the NASA Mohawk guy?


68D. Four Corners nickname : BEEHIVE STATE
  
84D. Rams : BANGS INTO. My ex-boyfriend is crazy about Jane Birkin. She has the most famous bangs in the world.


Amazing grid design. Loved how MOHAWK TRAIL crosses two Across theme entries in the grid. The four other pairs intersect as well. It really takes luck and skill to make this work.

Across:

1. Profitable venture : GOLDMINE. Great start. We don't often see a 8-letter 1-Across.

9. Bombay bigwigs : RAJAHS

15. Fox role : MCFLY (Marty).  "Back to the Future". Michael J. Fox,

20. "My pleasure!" : I SURE CAN

21. Region north of Morocco : IBERIA

22. Finnish architect Alvar __ : AALTO. Stranger to me. Eero Saarinen is Finnish too. So many vowels in their names.

23. Punkish accessory : NOSE RING. Boomer's daughter-in-law Sherie has a nose ring.

28. Asian region, with "the" : EAST. "The East is Red" woke me up every morning in my childhood. Our reveille.

29. Lhasa __ : APSO

30. Wilmington's st. : DEL

31. Short : SHY

32. "Silent Spring" subj. : DDT

33. "Bossypants" writer Fey : TINA. Someday she'll change her mind and host the Oscar.

35. Loses one's cool : SEES RED

39. She played Molly in "Ghost" : DEMI. Oh, I loved "Ghost".

41. Ready to shoot : IN FOCUS

44. Contact, nowadays : TEXT

45. Walton of Walmart : SAM. Say what you want about Walmart. They've always paid their taxes, unlike Apple (!!!), Microsoft & Google.

47. Two bells, in the Navy : ONE AM. Got it, Dave?

50. Old pool ball material : IVORY

51. Oahu's __ Stadium : ALOHA

56. Hotel team : MAIDS

57. Apportioned, with "out" : METED

58. Nickname for Margaret : GRETA. Wow. I thought it's Meg or Peggy.

59. Start of something big? : MEGA

61. Devotee : NUT

62. Safari sightings : PRIDES. Lion packs.

64. Is aware of : KNOWS

66. Star : CELEB

69. Notes comprise them : SCALES

71. It's over a foot : ANKLE. Clever clue.

73. Amazingly enough : NO LESS

76. Mythical giants : YETIs

78. Newspaper section : STYLE. And 95. Common newspaper name : TIMES

80. Hardly a guffaw : TEE HEE

82. Graceful male swimmer : COB. Male swan. I can't swim. You?

85. Aware of : IN ON

87. Double-check : RE-ADD

89. Burns a bit : CHARS

90. "Our Gang" series creator Hal : ROACH. New to me as well.

96. Bother : ANNOY

97. Video game pioneer : ATARI
 
98. Site of heavy traffic, with "the" : NET

100. Wind indicator : VANE

101. City on the Tigris : BAGHDAD

103. Acronym that includes middle sch. : EL HI. It just won't go away. Too useful a letter combo.

106. Tinactin alternative : DESENEX. For Athlete's Foot.

108. Evidently are : SEEM

109. Engine housing : POD

111. Takes too much : ODs

113. Xi preceders : NUs. Not An.

114. "Madama Butterfly" wardrobe items : OBIs

116. Did perfectly : ACED

125. Uncommon thing : RARA AVIS

127. Playground rejoinder : IS TOO

128. Company promoted by a nine-month-old financial wizard : E-TRADE. The E-Trade Baby has his own Twitter account.

129. Theft target : IDENTITY

130. Beach shoe : THONG. The Bikini wear is more appealing than a single shoe.

131. Pastry-making aid : ZESTER

132. Like some loafers : TASSELED

Down:

1. Sling ingredient : GIN. Singapore Sling, right?

2. Zoo animales : OSOS. Bears.

3. Like some lawns : LUSH

5. Big deal : MERGER. So simple in retrospect.

6. Winter spikes : ICICLES

7. "Peter Pan" pooch : NANA

8. Many Caltech grads : ENGRS. Both Spitzboov & Splynter graduated from RPI.

9. Outback order : RIB EYE

10. Be next to : ABUT

11. Fast flier : JET

12. Like a parabola : ARCED

13. Percussion kit item : HI-HAT

14. Egg holders : SACS

15. Parental nicknames : MAs

16. Eponymous 18th-century adventurer : CASANOVA. Womanizer.

18. Old Fords : LTDs

19. Toy on a string : YO-YO

25. Envelope abbr. : ATTN

27. Postgrad degree : PhD

32. More than just eat : DINE

34. "__ any judge of character ..." : IF I'M. Sometimes partials are not easy for me to see.

35. Philatelist's find : STAMP

36. Catchers with pots : EELERS

37. Strikingly strange : EXOTIC

38. "Hi and Lois" pooch : DAWG

41. Daughter in Shakespeare's "Cymbeline" : IMOGEN. No idea.

42. Pakistani language : URDU. Still waiting for Anony-Mouse (aka Vidwan) to answer my Urdu question.

43. Part of CBS: Abbr. : SYST

46. Blemish : MARK

48. Lumber tree : ELM. Hard to clue ELM in a new way.

49. Blind-from-birth pianist Templeton : ALEC. Never heard of him

52. British singer with the age-related albums "19" and "21" : ADELE. Pure talent.

54. __ cava : VENA

55. Berkshire jackets : ETONs

60. Almost all the time : A LOT

63. "The X-Files" org. : SETI (Search for ExtraTerrestrial Intelligence)

65. More sneaky : SLYER

67. Put in power : ELECT

70. Sailor from Basrah : SINBAD. I always use Basra.

72. It has both Hebrew and English letters on its planes : EL AL


74. Medicine man : SHAMAN

75. Still : SERENE

77. Stains on a red suit? : SOOT. Santa!

79. Perfect place : EDEN

81. Cambridgeshire neighbor : ESSEX

82. Grump : CRAB

83. O'Neill's daughter : OONA. Long time no see!

86. Pistons' org. : NBA. Detroit Pistons.

88. Added highlights to, in a way : DYED

91. Strong team quality : COHESION

92. Stevenson villain : HYDE. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

94. TV role for Bamboo Harvester : MR. ED

99. Grants academic security to : TENURES

102. Latin trio member : AMAT. Amo, amas, amat.

104. Good boy of verse : HORNER. Little Jack Horner. "What a good boy am I".

105. Response known to preclude its question : I DO.

107. Lazy __: trays : SUSANs

109. Golfer Calvin : PEETE. He cleared the fairway for Tiger Woods. Golf pioneer.


110. Reasons to clean : ODORS

112. Sail-extending pole : SPRIT. New word to me.


114. Late notice? : OBIT

115. Foundation plant : BUSH

117. Stylish eatery word : CHEZ. I bet it's all tasty Chez D-Otto's. He seems to be a great cook.

118. Give up : CEDE

119. Anti-art movement : DADA

120. Bad doings : EVIL

121. Altar event : RITE

123. Holiday quaff : NOG

124. Piece of winery equipment : VAT

126. Guitarist Barrett : SYD. Pink Floyd.

C.C.


43 comments:

Argyle said...

C.C. had to leave early this morning and was having trouble getting published. I an suppose to correct what I can, here in the comments section.

First I'll find the missing do's.

DREADS

FLIP

And my fave:

BEEHIVE

Argyle said...

And the BOB.

PK said...

Good Morning, Argyle & C.C. Thanks for all you do.

I liked the flow of this great puzzle, Mark Bickham. I had to look at it awhile afterwards to see all the hairdos, but I found them. I wondered why they weren't starred.

Natick for me was the POD/PEETE crossing. Never heard that word for engine housing. Never heard of the golfer. The "P" took a red-letter run to get. Other names I didn't know were MCFLY, ROACH, IMOGEN, AALTO. Perps took care of them.

How does "bamboo harvester" relate to MRED? Is this MR. ED, the horse or am I parsing this wrong. Never knew of a horse to eat bamboo, so I was trying to name a panda bear.

C.C.: I took swimming lessons as a kid and used to swim, but haven't been in many years.

Wahoo, no storms here this night for once this week! Still didn't sleep because I'm so used to being awake all night. Will post this and try to ZZZZ!

HeartRx said...

Good morning C.C. et al.

I loved all your hairdo pics, especially Agyness Deyn. She is a cutie!

I didn’t even look for a theme while solving, and had to go back and look at the symmetrical long entries to find it. It would have been fun to see the entry “Hair” clued as the 1979 musical, and the theme of the puzzle.

Some cute clues, like “Stains on a red suit” for SOOT and “Late notice?” for OBIT. SETI crossing YETIS was cool.

In the southwest, I had ButtS INTO. I was really getting ANNOYed that I couldn’t figure out the city on the Tigris and was turning into a real CRAB. Once I filled those two, my butt changed to a BANG, and Hal ROACH, OONA and Mr. HYDE arrived to give me BAGHDAD. Whew!

PK, “Bamboo Harvester” had caps. It is the name of the horse that portrayed “Mr. Ed” on TV.

Another hot one here, but at least we will get some relief with thunderstorms this evening. Have a great day everyone!

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Only complete unknown for me today was PEETE. Almost a "Natick," except that I have vaguely heard of an engine POD before and PEETE looked more reasonable than, say HEETE.

Lots of other slowdowns due to tricky or obscure cluing, of course. I know what an ETON jacket is, for example, but had no idea it was at all related to the Berkshires. Similarly, I had no idea that SINBAD came from Basrah.

And would somebody PLEASE tell RICH that SETI has nothing to do with UFOs and was never featured prominently in "The X-Files" (although it may have been mentioned tangentially). SETI is strictly concerned with radio telescopes to listen to the night sky for evidence of distant alien civilizations. No UFOs, no little green men, no alien abductions.

[tstemso]

desper-otto said...

Good morning, Sunday soldiers!

I confidently entered RUM at 1D, and most of the northwest remained blank until the very end. I found several ways to go wrong elsewhere: PEGGY/GRETA, ONTO/IN ON, I AM SO/IS TOO.

Argyle, this was BEEHIVE in my mind's eye.

C.C., thanks for the shoutout, but I'm not a very good cook. I cook, not because I like to, but because DW is a vegetarian. We eat together, but separately.

As I write this there's a raging thunderstorm outside. Love it. We're about 8 inches behind in rainfall.

Yellowrocks said...

SHAG revealed the theme and helped A LOT (two words,pet peeve with students.) I knew Hal ROACH. P for POD and PEETE was a total wag. I guessed MC FLY and AALTO. In HS we studied POD, problems of democracy.
Interesting theme and expo.

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, Mark Bickham, for a swell puzzle. Thank you, C.C. And Argyle, for the swell review.

Bounced around and got many of the gimmies. That gave me several footholds. Caught the theme after a couple long answers. Very clever construction.

Remembered Hal ROACH from old movie credits. A Hal Roach production.

I also had BUTTS INTO for a while. Hal ROACH fixed that to BANGS INTO.

MOHAWK TRAIL came with some perps and a wag. I am reading a book entitles A Nation Rising. Just finished a section about how we, as a country, treated the American Indians. It was pretty bad.

Liked BEEHIVE STATE.

Tried SILENT for SERENE at first. A couple perps fixed that.

RIBEYE reminded me I have a couple in the fridge. I think I will cook those tonight for my wife's cousin and myself. We eat together each night while I am here. Good food and Yuengling Beer.

Was raining this morning. Stopped. I have much to do. See you tomorrow.

Abejo

(phshere)

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Found I had to chip away at this one. Ran into a bit of a Natick where Cob crosses Oona. Resisted Eton because that's usually connected with collars, right?

The Mohawk Trail is the pretty end of Route 2, an old road that crosses the whole state of Massachusetts up near the northerly border. Once you get west of the compact industrial city of Greenfield, it's all quite scenic. The Trail crosses the Berkshires - though I don't recall seeing anyone wearing an Eton jacket there. :-)

Cheers All!

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

A little crunchy going through, but eventually got it all without lookups. PEETE was an unknown, but POD, E-TRADE, et al made it clear. Paused @ 68d, but looming BEEHIVE equated with Utah, one of the four. At 47a, ONE AM, the only other two choices were five and nine, one more letter. Still needed to guess am or pm.
58a, GRETA. Our late daughter's name was Gretchen, a diminutive of Margaret or Greta.
Good puzzle; thanks for an informative intro, C.C.

Have a great day.

Husker Gary said...

Theme was incidental and not helpful and READD was my only AHA moment.

Musings
-I don’t know if any poster made as big a stir as Farrah’s
-Those wheels on the CROP DUSTER almost touch the TASSELS on the corn
-BUN IN THE OVEN
-It seems the whole world went nuts over Michelle’s BANGS
-The first MCFLY movie and Ghost still entertain
-“Gary, will you please [insert chore]?” Best answer, “I SURE CAN”.
-The DDT vs. malaria debate still rages
-Who knew TEXT would become a verb?
-Anyone else ever bought way too big of a quantity at SAM’S?
-I told my Fla. kids to tip the Disney MAIDS $1/kid/day. The result was some fun “towel animals” when we got back that night.
-One of my favorite pieces of prose contains, “You are a child of the universe, NO LESS than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here”
-The MERGER of small schools that were former athletic rivals can cause some to SEE RED
-Furniture from ELM?
-The first half of Contact is a fun movie about SETI before it goes off the rails
-O’Neill disowned OONA after she married Chaplin
-I have seen TENURE protect some really lousy teaching

JeanLaFeet said...

No one has yet pointed out that "O'Neill's daughter" is an invalid clue for "Oona" -- one being a last name and the other a first name.

Argyle said...

But O'Neill's daughter would O'Neill, before she was Chaplin.

Yellowrocks said...

Eton is a town and also a college in Berkshire county, England. The jacket was worn by boys at Eton, hence it's name.
Not the Berkshires in MA.

Irish Miss said...

Hi Everyone:

I found this to be a tad crunchier than a typical Sunday, but finished w/o help. Thought the theme and many clues were very clever. Nice job, Mark, and thanks to CC and Argyle for the neat expo.

Marti, I, too, am looking forward to some relief from this terrible heat and humidity; I just hope the T- storms are not dangerous or damaging.

For fans of The Killing, the season premiere is tonight at 8:00 on AMC. It'll be interesting to see what direction it takes with a brand new story line.

Have a nice, relaxing Sunday.

Lucina said...

Warm greetings, C.C. June temps are always over 100 in AZ, one of the four corners states. Colo. and New Mex. are the others.

Thank you for the enlightenment, C.C. as my morning solve was decidedly frustrating, not the puzzle, my newspaper printed the wrong puzzle and luckily some people here have mentioned the Mensa site and I was able to print it from there. Thank you for that info.

The puzzle itself was lovely and fun to sashay through once I started. Some long forgotten knowledge creeped out of my recesses, namely, MCFLY and PEETE from when I watched sports with my late DH.

In other spots I could not decide between BAHGDAD or BAGHDAD until BANGS INTO affirmed the latter.

I enjoyed the clues for ANKLE and ICICLES. Clever!

Thank you, Mark Bickham, for a good time today.

Have a delightful Sunday, everyone!

Jayce said...

Hello everybody. I enjoyed working this puzzle today. Until coming here, I didn't see all the different hair styles, just some of them. A very intricate construction. I couldn't parse IDO until coming here, either. I kept thinking it was a variation on 'ideo' or 'idea' because I was thinking of a technical, logical, term for knowing what the question is by knowing its answer. Sheesh, talk about over-thinking!

I have fond memories of going to Boston Symphony concerts at Tanglewood, MA, in the Berkshires. A heck of a long drive from New Haven, CT, though. I'm not sure, but I think we probably stayed overnight somewhere; I really only remember the concerts and seeing Erich Leinsdorf conduct. I can't believe how unobservant and naive I was at that age.

Best wishes to you all.

Anonymous said...

Usually when I think of Butch I think of this:
http://menshair.about.com/od/celebrityhaircutsstyles/ig/David-Beckham-s-Haircuts/Butch-Haircut.-2Ta.htm

So many nicknames for margaret, with many that had 5 letters: peggy, margo,madge, marge, maggi ,meggi,

River Doc said...

Happy Sunday everyone!

What a difference a day makes! Took a while, but was able to slog through to the end without any help today….

Of course, there were stray moments, like PASHAS for RAJAHS, RHINOS for PRIDES, CAFÉ for CHEZ, OAK for ELM, SST for JET, SINS for EVIL, MASS for RITE, and BUMPS INTO for BANGS INTO….

Oh, also MARGE for GRETA. Margaret is one of those names that begets a virtual slew of nicknames, but Greta was a new one for me. And here I thought Peggy was a reach….

Up top, for some insane, unknown reason, NOSE RING and BUTCH CASSIDY filled immediately, which was a great help….

Favorite answer - “BUN IN THE OVEN” You just gotta love the mental imagery….

The only regret? Not seeing Bouffant somewhere in the puzzle…. Don’t know if they qualify as bouffants, but the girls from The B52’s had some pretty serious hairdos goin’ on….

Finally, from yesterday Lucina and Bill G. had a fairly serious dialogue about a broken dishwasher, which immediately brought to mind the following skit from the Bob and Tom radio show…. It’s a little long, but worth the time….

Qli said...

Had a lot of fun with this one; I would have ACED it, but I put PASHA instead of RAJAH, since I had SST and not JET...but I did have a great time.

Gotta finish pulling weeds before it rains again. Finally got the garden in yesterday; it's been too cold or too wet until now. and more rain the next two days....but I'm not complaining.

Jerome said...

But Oona is O'Neill's daughter.
"Eugene's daughter" would be pretty vague.

Bill G. said...

Wow, this one took me a while and it was satisfying to finish. Thanks Mark, CC and Argyle.

I didn't much care for ELHI of course. I figured out TENURES but I've never seen it used that way before. I guess the constructer needed both of them to make the grid work. And I agree with Barry that it's hard to see an authentic connection between The X Files and SETI. For a while, I had a SETI screensaver on my old iMac that was sifting through a small bit of the data from SETI looking for patterns in the signals.

Doha Doc, I enjoyed the dishwasher clip.

It looks as if Barbara is OK to drive according to her doctor and the PT. I will have to help her with the stairs from the house to the driveway. We will have rails installed sometime in the next week or so.

Lucina said...

DohaDoc:
LOL! Fortunately that is not my problem! There is no dead body in my kitchen although for a time an acrid smell pervaded the sink area, presumably from the water puddled underneath.

I meant to comment that my sister Margaret is called Marge by family and friends and I had not realized that GRETA also meant Margaret.

Pookie said...

Thank you C.C. for your review and pix and the Crossword Corner.
Too many blanks. 14 unanswered clues
One nit.
ZESTER why "Pastry-making aid?
It's just a tool to remove zest from citrus for ANY recipe, not JUST pastry-MAKING.

PK said...

I knew a woman called Reta with a long "e" which her family shortened from Margareta. Learned her real name only from reading her OBIT.

Thanks, Marti, for the horse info.

Very cool, damp and gloomy here, for you folks having heat waves. Nothing like what is usually June. We need some sunny, windy days to bring the wheat to maturity and dry enough to harvest in three weeks time what hail storms leave.

My hair style is usually "shag" no matter what my hairdresser intended. I remember during the Farrah craze days, I wanted one of those backwards upwards flip done with a curling iron. I managed to burn my hair so bad it broke off so my bangs were a crew cut for a few weeks. LOL! Wasn't funny then.

Lucina said...

Except for the MOHAWK, I've had every one of those dos. In the 70's buns were stylish and my very long hair was piled on top in a smart (I thought) bun. Shag was my choice for a long time because of the thickness of my hair. Now it's usually a bob or very short crop. It's now time for a haircut and that will happen Wednesday.

61Rampy said...

ran into the same problem as Lucina- the AZ Republic printed the right clues, wrong puzzle. I looked on the blog and saw Lucina's mention of the Mensa site. While I was there, I took their 30q test, scoring a ho-hum 76%.
How do you people do the puzzle online???? What a pain! Only good thing I saw was that you can actually read the clues.
I cheated a bit, because I looked at the answers to verify that I did indeed have the wrong puzzle. So, I saw GOLDMINE. Only problems with the puzz was SST for JET, and I had iONA instead of OONA.
As a total aside, has anyone here heard a Mighty Wurlitzer Pipe Organ in person?? We took my Mom to Organ Stop Pizza in Mesa last night for her 88th b-day. They have a fully restored/operational Wurlitzer Organ, played by a couple of really good organists. It is not possible to describe what it sounds like. This was my third time, and it is just incredible. There are a handful of such organs around the country. Put it on your bucket list. The Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar CA.

Argyle said...

If you ever drive the Mohawk Trail, you won't forget this turn.
hairpin turn

Java Mama said...

Good afternoon, everyone! I don’t usually get around to the Sunday puzzle (or I leave it half-finished), but had a little down time today. Thanks, Mark, for a fun outing. And thanks for an entertaining expo, C.C. I loved all the pictures of hairstyles. Mary Tyler Moore as Laura Petrie helped make the “flip” quite popular. Also, she could sure rock those capris.

Dreaded Musician = BOB MARLEY made me laugh – very clever. I get a kick out of those E-TRADE commercials with the spokes-baby. Ran into trouble when I entered SMEE for the Stevenson villain (????? I know Barrie wrote Peter Pan, Duh!), which messed up that entire section. Still a fun solve.

Abejo, pop open one of those Yuengling beers for me; they’re my new favorite.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, all!

Bill G. said...

61Rampy, Could you send a link to the 30 q test you took at the Mensa site? I looked around and didn't see it.

I've been to Sylmar to see the Neathercutt collection and their Wurlitzer organ. The whole museum is great including a beautiful classic car collection. It's all free.

CC, I know how to swim but am a crappy swimmer. I guess I've never put in the necessary practice and effort to become competent. If you toss me into the middle of the deep end of a pool, I won't drown. I can maybe swim two lengths before giving up my feeble attempts.

61Rampy said...

BillG, try this: Link . You do not need to log in, just run thru the 30 questions. When you get back to Q1, click on "grade". Funny, I did well on math stuff, but I rarely get your math posers. I did poorly on the anagrams. :(

Stefen said...

This blog is never about the same puzzle that I get with my L.A. Times.

Argyle said...

On Sundays, we blog the LAT online crossword puzzle. The LAT Sunday paper runs a puzzle by Merl Reagle. We don't know why.

fermatprime said...

Hi, all!

Thanks for fun puzzle and expo, Mark and CC!

No cheats, but several lucky WAGs. Had the usual initial errors. Took awhile to get rid of PEGGY! Took more time than usual for a Sunday.

Stefan: you get the Merl Reagle puzzle in Sunday Times. You must go on line to get the syndicated puzzle. (I work Merl's too, which one can get from the Washington Post site.)

The older generation here must know that I swim almost everyday (in my heated pool in a super-expensive pool house), as long as my girlfriend Christine can make it. (She, too, has multiple physical problems.) It is the only exercise I can endure with my back. I learned at age eight.

Have a great Sunday evening!

Yellowrocks said...

Maggie Smith of Downton Abbey gave an interesting interview on 60 Minutes tonight. I had no idea she had many acting credits.Perhaps you who live farther west will still be able to see it. I am thinking of you especially, Ferm

PK said...

YR, I saw and enjoyed the Maggie Smith interview. I also watched a PBS special on Jewish Broadway musical composers & lyricists. Very interesting.

Manac said...

Bill G.
Re: yest. @ 10:29
You started it!
Wait! I meant This
But all in all..
Friends

Bill G. said...

YR, thanks for the Maggie Smith heads up. It just came on.

61 Rampy, thanks for the quiz link. I enjoyed that. Some seemed surprisingly easy, there were lots of medium ones and some were beyond tough for me.

Manac, hey good buddy!

Bill G. said...

I am watching 60 Minutes. Some parts of it seem to be repeats but I'm enjoying them all over again anyway. That woman with the computer-aided arm can do things that are hard to believe.

I just came across the old "Robin Hood" with Errol Flynn. It was already about half over but it's my favorite version. I've watched it completely four or five times and bits and pieces of it more still. I'm enjoying the second half of it all over again.

I got some more peonies for Barbara at the supermarket. I realize that I never saw them growing up. Is it a west coast only flower? I know some east coast flowers aren't found here such as forsythia, lillies of the valley, dogwood, etc. I wonder why? The climate isn't that different.

Lemonade714 said...

The means test felt like a primer for crossword puzzle enthusiasts. Thanks, it was not easy but fun

fermatprime said...

Thanks for mentioning the Maggie Smith interview, YR!

I picked it up on the internet!

Lucina said...

Thank you,YR, Bill and Ferm for citing the Maggie Smith interview. I had seen the original but it's worth seeing it again. I love her!

I was at my daughter and SIL's for dinner so would have missed it all.

JeanLaFeet said...

For Argyle: I guess I was too subtle.

A valid answer to "O'Neill's daughter" would be "Chaplin."

A valid clue for "Oona" would be "Eugene's daughter."

The name order has to match.