Theme: SILENTS (37A: Many Greta Garbo films, and what you'll find at the intersections of four pairs of answers to starred clues) - Parse it as SILENT S. The four intersecting S'es are all silent.
16A. *Sargent Shriver was its first director : PEACE CORPS. Crossing 8D. *Rank below earl : VISCOUNT
60A. *Aptly named New York region : LONG ISLAND. Crossing 47D. *We, to Monet : NOUS
10D. *Driving hazard : ROAD DEBRIS. Crossing 45A. *See 36-Across : MOINES
26D. *Theater guide : AISLE LIGHT. Crossing 36A. *With 45-Across, Iowa's most populous city : DES
Happy New Year, everyone!
C.C. here, filling in another blog gap. When I submitted this puzzle, the four intersecting S'es are circled. You can click here for my original clues and grid. Rich probably thought they're unnecessary. As usual, lots of clue changes.
1. Tail end : REAR
5. Airing, as a golf tournament : ON TV
9. Spoiled kid : BRAT
13. "Splendor in the Grass" author : INGE. I liked the movie, though it's a bit heavy.
14. Premier Zhou who hosted Nixon's 1972 visit : ENLAI. The most beloved figure in China. He could have done more and protected more during the Cultural Revolution.
15. Lauderdale neighbor : BOCA
18. Go-__: small racer : KART
18. Go-__: small racer : KART
19. Dry gulch : ARROYO
20. Wite-Out maker : BIC. Spitzboov uses Wite-Out.
21. Mind flash : IDEA
22. Move, to an agent : RELO
24. Seemingly forever : NO END
26. Doing the math, in a way : ADDING
28. Top-priority : URGENT. I don't think Argyle or the few friends I have on the blog like email from me with the subject line "Olio". It's normally trouble. Yet they always give me quick & honest opinions. Feels good to be prioritized.
31. National rival : AVIS
33. Supreme Court justice Kagan : ELENA
35. Dark horse : BAY
39. Runway disaster : RIP. No disaster here. Just a selfie from Gisele with a hashtag #multitasking.
41. Fireplace bit : EMBER
42. Ill humor : BILE
43. Caroline and Maria, to Ted Kennedy : NIECES
48. Some cosmetic surgeries, for short : LIPOS
50. Midday : NOON
51. Fail to mention : OMIT. Welcome to the blue world, Buckeye Bob!
53. Classic Pontiac : GTO
55. Crunchy snack : NUT BAR
59. Gift-bearing trio : MAGI
62. Longing : ACHE
63. Company removed from the Dow 30 in 2013 : ALCOA. So were HP & Bank of America. Goldman Sachs, Visa and Nike were in.
64. Sicilian resort : ENNA. Learned from doing Xwords.
65. Fish catchers : NETS
66. Scout's good work : DEED
67. Positive votes : YEAS
1. Strahan co-host : RIPA (Kelly)
2. Nuke-testing dept. : ENER
3. Petri dish gel : AGAR
4. Audiophile's collection : RECORDS
5. Artist Yoko : ONO. I used a quote clue. Too long.
6. Workers' rights gp. : NLRB (National Labor Relations Board)
7. Six-inch putt, say : TAP IN
9. Beale Street blues legend : B B KING
12. "Ciao!" : TA TA
14. Food recall cause : ECOLI
17. Watched : EYED
23. Deli counter qty. : ONE LB
25. Times in history : ERAS
27. Procter & Gamble toothpaste : GLEEM
29. Polish target : NAIL
30. Prepare a blog post, say : TYPE. What I'm doing now.
31. Yemen's Gulf of __ : ADEN
32. Part of a memorable boast : VENI. "Veni, vidi, vici".
34. "Conspiracy of Fools" company : ENRON. Thought of Husker Gary's uncle, who lost all his fortunes with Enron.
37. Drain slowly : SEEP
38. "That makes me happy" : I'M SO GLAD
42. U.K.-based luxury automaker : BENTLEY. Do you dream of owning one? I couldn't care less about cars.
44. Two in a Dickens title : CITIES
46. Ancient region of present-day Turkey : IONIA
49. Lifted or boosted : STOLE. I did not know "boosted" can mean "stole" also. Rich's clue of course. Great one!
51. Neighbor of Saudi Arabia : OMAN
52. Defensive spray : MACE
54. "The Raven" opening : ONCE
56. Downfall cause : BANE
57. "Breaking Bad" Emmy winner Gunn : ANNA.
58. Old cereal box stats : RDAS
61. Mars, e.g. : GOD
This blog will turn 6 years old on January 21, 2014. Tell me in the Comments section: How long have you been reading our blog? If you've been just lurking, delurk today and say "Hi" to our regulars.