google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Saturday, Oct 11th, 2014, Tom Heilman

Advertisements

Oct 11, 2014

Saturday, Oct 11th, 2014, Tom Heilman

Theme: None

Words: 70 (missing J,Q,X,Z)

Blocks: 29

 The last time we saw a Saturday from Tom Heilman was back in July 2013, and we ended up in an extended discussion on the difference between hay and straw....today's puzzle did look intimidating, but once again a series of WAGs got me enough of a toehold to make the necessary adjustments and finish the grid within my personal time limit.  I will admit to a keyboard run to get my "ta-DA~!" at 42a - proper noun crossing an abbreviation.  Triple nine corners, a pair of stacked tens and two 12-letter climbers;

6d. "Sit" : TAKE A LOAD OFF

21d. Person with a warped mind, in slang : ONE SICK PUPPY

Drawno conclusions....

ACROSS:

 1. Most unwavering : STRICTEST

10. "Forget about it!" : "NO HOW~!" - Started with "NO WAY"

15. Canine issue : TOOTH ACHE - CAVITIES was too short

16. Previously in print? : ABOVE - took a minute to "get" this; e.g. "see above"

17. Standing guard : ON LOOKOUT

18. Pronged : TINED - educated WAG

19. __ roast : WEENIE - meh

20. Grandstand group : ROOTERS

22. Celebrated : RANG IN - I had a great time when I "RANG IN" the New Year for 2014; I am hoping it leads to something special, still

25. "Danny and the Dinosaur" author Hoff : SYD 

26. Marathon rtes., perhaps : AVEs

30. Botched (up) : LOUSED

32. Christmas catalog item : TOY - I loved the Sears catalog this time of year - I'd sit down and make my "list" complete with page numbers for Santa - do you still have my old lists, Argyle~?

34. Restaurant convenience : MEN'S ROOM - whereas a LADIES ROOM is a necessity....

36. Evening affair : SOIREE

38. Readily assuming different forms : PROTEAN - straight up definition; Dictionary says it's from the Greek sea god Proteus, who could change form

39. Like original Matchbox cars : DIE-CAST - I still have a case full of Hot Wheels; my original Matchbox cars are long gone

40. Got a chuckle out of : AMUSED

41. Rickety : DECREPIT

42. Ruman of "Stalag 17" : SIG - Yeah, the "S" was a letter run

43. Krona : öre :: ruble : __ : KOPECK - 1/100th of a "dollar" equivalent; Swedish & Russian currency

45. __ perpetua: Idaho's motto : ESTO


46. 2008 Soderbergh biopic : CHE - I tried "ALI" first - bzzzt

48. Shooting ratios : F-STOPS - Camera settings, that kind of shooting

50. Immobilize, as with fear : PETRIFY - My sponsor's suggestion back in July petrified me; found out this Tuesday that he did NOT have all the facts, because he wasn't paying attention, so I fired him - first time in almost 9 years I had to do this; I am extremely happy I went with my gut instinct and did not follow through on the suggestion, but the issue is still unresolved.  Now I need a new sponsor to help me try again

52. First NFL Man of the Year Award recipient (1970) : UNITAS - Here's Johnny~!

57. Savannah sighting : ELAND - Total WAG, and it stayed

58. Chukka boot feature : CREPE SOLE - Learning moment for me - the Wiki

61. Actress Kemper of "The Office" : ELLIE - Did not watch much of the show; this girl


62. Small cookers : HOT PLATES

63. Enjoyed : LIKED

64. Stretch, say : STAY LOOSE

DOWN:

1. Pack : STOW

2. Mood indicator : TONE - Pondered "RING" at first


3. Something to fill : ROLE - HOLE and HOLD were not good enough

4. "Put __ my tab" : IT ON

5. Loft user : CHOIR - I had the "H" and the "R", and this was the only word that worked

7. Car starter? : ECO - eco-car

8. Moo __ pork : SHU

9. Game for shapeshifters? : TETRIS - Har-Har~!  You have to 'shift' the shapes in order to perpetuate the game - I play 3-D Tetris at UPS every morning, shifting 250+ parcels to fit in a van that only holds 200....

10. Defense gp. : NATO

11. Passing thoughts? : OBITs - This type of clue is filling in immediately for me now

12. Espionage strategies involving seduction : HONEY TRAPS

13. Goes too far : OVER DOES IT

14. Forms a union : WEDS

23. Morning's end : NOON

24. Orbit, for one : GUM - you lint licker~!


26. Oscars org. : AMPAS - New one to me; I thought "ASCAP", but that's music...then AFTRA, then the perps left me with AM-A-; I got the "P",   but....   the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

27. Food that's Italian for "little worms" : VERMICELLI - ewww~!

28. "Time to do something about this" : "ENOUGH TALK"

29. Former fliers : SSTs

31. One who acts : DOer

33. "... __ come" : YET TO

35. Really smell : REEK - There was a band that used to play the nightclub I worked at and they went by the name "REEKING HAVOC" - yes, they got it wrong, but it seemed to fit all the same....

37. Frozen treat : ICEE

39. Like New York's Chrysler Building : DECO

41. Case worker: Abbr. : DETective - that kind of case

44. Inspires, with "up" : PSYCHS

47. Orange Muppet : ERNIE - My brother is going as Ernie for one Halloween party, and then Barney Rubble for another - guess what I am going to wear....now all I need is a place to go - oh, if only someone would join me....   ;7(

49. Matt who scored the Jets only touchdown in Super Bowl III : SNELL - The Wiki

50. Spa option : PEEL - Tried PEDI first

51. Named : IDed

53. World Golf Hall of Famer Aoki : ISAO - The crossword friendly golfer

54. Movie pooch : TOTO - dah~! Not ASTA

55. Draft choices : ALES - ugh, I thought we were talking military here, and went "A ONE"

56. Zaire's Mobutu __ Seko : SESE - We have "se-seen" this before on Saturday

59. Break down : ROT

60. Flight stat : ETA

 Splynter


Notes from C.C.:

I'd like to share with you the "Border States" puzzle I made for the Chronicle of Higher Education. You can click here (the first one) for the puz file, or here to print out a PDF file. To solve on line, click here . 

I'm eager to see what area gives you the trouble and when you grok the theme. 

Spoiler alert: once you're done, you can go to Amy Reynaldo's blog for the write-up.  Those nice clues Pannonica mentioned are all the brainwork of editor Brad Wilber, our regular LAT Saturday constructor. When I first proposed the idea to Brad, the theme is quite thin. Brad helped me muscle up the core concept and build a grid I'm quite proud of.

Mark the CHE site. Next time you see my name (probably early next year), I'll be accompanying a blog regular, D-Otto (Tom), who's super efficient and fun to work with.


39 comments:

Manac said...

Must be nice for all of you to be able
to sleep in late.

Names were my only trouble spots today

Later.

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Ended up with a big ol' DNF today, but not in the spot I thought it was. After much effort, I finally filled in the the top half and ended up with RANGIN at 22D, which made no sense to me whatsoever. I knew it had to be wrong, but all the perps were rock solid. I finally turned on the red-letter help, only to be stunned to discover that RANGIN was, in fact, correct, but that I had a stupid typo in the SW corner with PEAL/ALLIE instead of PEEL/ELLIE.

And then, of course, the light bulb finally went on, the V8 can hit my forehead, the penny dropped, etc., and I figured out what RANG IN (not RANGIN) had to do with celebrating...

In the SE corner, I struggled with the unknown CREPE of CREPE SOLES crossing ROT (for which I originally had SOB) and the completely unknown SNELL. The crossing of CREPE and SNELL was a total guess, but what else could it have been?

In other news, I really liked some of the long answers such as ONE SICK PUPPY, HONEY TRAPS, STAY LOOSE and VERMICELLI. And I was proud of myself for getting KOPECK, but I only thought of it due to the fact that I was in a production of "Fiddler on the Roof" in High School and there's a scene where my character gives a beggar "one KOPECK."

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

This one produced very little on the first pass, and some of those were wrong: PEDI and ASTA (Yes, my hand's up, Splynter. Loved your "necessity" comment.) Finished in normal Saturday time, so all's well.

Don't know why but REEK brought to mind the old Chickenman radio spoof series from Chicago's WCFL: "Wreak Havoc...where have we heard that name before. Have we heard that name before? I don't think so."

The bicycle awaits...

Husker Gary said...

Putting in VERMICELLI as a WAG unlocked the last of this fun Saturday adventure!

Musings
-No one was ON LOOKOUT that Sunday in 1941
-My first date was a WEENIE roast and it was a disaster
-We RANG IN 1992 at the Orange Bowl where the Huskers were embarrassed and we ROOTERS were treated very badly
-Actual, too cute names for RESTROOMS – Hens/Drakes, Hunted/Hunters, Inboards/Outboards, Miladies/Milords, Gulls/Buoys, others…
-PROTEAN wasn’t protein or plastic
--Do I AMUSE you? (1:30)
-HOT PLATES produced “cuisine bon marché” (cheap food) in college
--STAYING LOOSE on the sidelines today
-My TETRIS game was trying to pack to go home from SF (the cranberry pancake syrup from Coos Bay didn’t make it through)
-WEDS – Our last two ceremonies were fun and secular
-Who AMPAS snubbed
-I tend to be a DOER who says ENOUGH TALK already
-Off on our annual pilgrimage to this wonderful place by Omaha on a morning where it is currently 34F but will be a glorious fall day eventually.

HeartRx said...

Good morning Saturday Stalwarts!

As usual, I got off to a very slow start. First pass yielded only IT ON, SHU (we just had Moo SHU pork on Thursday), REEK, SOIREE, DECO, ISAO and SESE.

But, those were scattered enough and solid enough to give me toeholds in all areas. I gradually worked my way back North by Northwest, and finished w/o any lookups.

I really loved TAKE A LOAD OFF, ENOUGH TALK and favorite of all: ONE SICK PUPPY! Great fill.

C.C. I did your puzzle, and you can probably guess my hardest area: 5A, 5D, 6D. Basketball team crossing a '50s TV show personality and baseball "stuff"??? Uh-oh, this doesn't look good! I finally did finish it with some WAGs, but then had to stare at the circled letters for a loooong time before the theme finally hit me. I think the thing that threw me off most was that all but one of the circled groups spell out an actual word. Very nicely done, especially the placement of the entries!

desper-otto said...

Our bike ride was abbreviated due to an impending thunder shower. So I tried C.C.'s puzzle. I was led astray by 1a GALA. I said to myself, "Aha, we're going to have state abbreviations around the border of the puzzle." Nope, as usual, I missed the theme. I did realize the circled states all bordered each other, but didn't notice the placement. I managed to find something solid in each area, so there was no particularly rough area for me. Nicely done, C.C.

Prof T said...

Had to Google a couple of the proper names SESE, SIG, SYD, but I surprised myself by finishing the rest unassisted. A first for me, I think, with a Saturday puzzle.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I sort of ambled along, slowly but surely, getting the long fill answers, which always helps but the Northwest corner stopped me in my tracks. I stayed with rest room (men's room) and smiled (amused) far too long, but, eventually saw the light and finished w/o help and a Wag on Sig.

Very enjoyable solve, Tom, and great expo, as usual, Splynter.

Have a great day.

Avg Joe said...

Crawled through this mine field a cell at a time. It kind of blossomed like a flower, and took nearly as much time. I don't time myself on paper, but I think it was around an hour. It finally came down to that cross of Sig and whatever, and I shanked it by guessing Cig. Sounded right, but no cigar! Oh well, it was a fine challenge.

Printed and solved your bonus puzzle, C.C. Very enjoyable. I had almost as much trouble with it as today's outing, but did solve it. I also failed to notice the geographical arrangement of the states, but that does add a very nice layer to it. Well done.

Irish Miss said...

CC - I did your CHE puzzle last night and completed it with no real problems, but I couldn't suss the theme for the life of me. After reading Amy's expo, I know why I was so bewildered; there were no circles. My thought was the "border states" would be in the fill around the edges of the puzzle and there were some, GA/LA for one, and some others, but with no consistency. Glad the mystery is solved. Great puzzle and terrific execution!

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

Lots of arcane stuff today making it hard to WAG well.
SIG Ruman? With only one flick in his filmography? Give me a break. But there was good stuff, too, with 9 ltr stacks, 10 ltr double downs and 2 11 ltr downs. Favorite fill after some head scratching was F-STOPS.
Don't remember having seen PROTEAN in a long time. if ever. Probably not used in conversation much.
Also liked the $:¢ clue analogs @ 43a.

Oscar - Reminded me of man-overboard drills. The dummy, Oscar, was thrown overboard, and the ship and crew would practice retrieving the "man-overboard". If you had the conn, you would execute a 'racetrack' pattern or Williamson turn to return to the spot where the man was first reported overboard.

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Slow but steady progress today. Was almost cornered by a Natick where AMPAS crossed Sig, but reasonable guesswork fixed that.

I managed to suss Protean from a story I read in grade school about Charles Proteus Steinmetz, the German electrical engineer who did so much to electric power practical in the early days. He's less well known than Edison, Westinghouse, or Tesla, but still a very important contributor to all that history. The tale is that Steinmetz scrapped his German style middle names in flavor of something more compact upon arrival at Ellis Island. Proteus had been a hurtful but fitting nickname from childhood, and he elected to keep it.

Dudley said...

Oops - left out a verb there - "to make electric power..."

Bill G. said...

Hi everybody! I enjoyed the puzzle about as much as I enjoy other Saturday puzzles...

I've seen Ellie Kemper on Ellen. She is super cute but she might be too much for some people. (Almost too much for me but not quite.)

CC, I tried your Border States puzzle yesterday. I liked the whole puzzle very much but the theme remained an enigma for me. I finally went to Amy Renaldo to figure out what I had missed. Then I missed the significance of the placement of the circles. DOH! That's what happened when a clever puzzle falls into the hands of a dolt.

Later...

EdieB said...

In the 60's on a trip from PA to CA, the restrooms were labeled pointers and setters.

Irish Miss said...

Can anyone tell me why Google keeps asking me to sign in? My Irish Miss user name is missing from choose an identity area.

Ergo said...



Wow... just wow... I could have spent all day trying to finish this one (and enjoying every minute of it) but duty calls.

Some morphing:

ONE SIDED COIN
ONE SIDED DICE
ONE SICKO UPPY?
ONE SICK PUPPY HA!!

This really led me astray on the clue "Sit." I went through contortions convinced that the last for letters were DOGS.

Eventually everything came together except for the SW. TERRIFY instead of PETRIFY was my undoing.

---> Husker Gary, I know your pumpkin patch well. When I was commuting to Omaha I enjoyed the return trip at night as I could see the endless line of headlights/taillights just off the freeway. And I knew many of those people were headed home with straw in their hair and smiles on their faces.

Big Easy said...

Uncle!!! The entire right side was fairly easy for a Saturday but I had to grind out the left side and left 5 blanks. There were clues for too many things I was unfamiliar with such as "Ruman, Chukka boot, Idaho's motto" . I also started with NO WAY, ALI, and ASCAP, along with ASTA for TOTO and HYENA for ELAND. Instead of PETRIFY I tried HORRIFY and TERRIFY, and even though I knew VERMICELLI and ENOUGH, ELLIE was unknown and I couldn't Talk TALK into my brain.

I also had a brain freeze on CHOI_ even though I solved the crosses and the missing 'R' kept me from solving RANG IN, as TETRIS was an unknown, along with SYD & SIG. I wonder if 44D should be PSYCHE instead of PSYCH ( which were the most useless courses I was ever required to take)

I thought it neat that both Johnny UNITAS and Matt SNELL were in the same puzzle with one cross. But this puzzle is one that I just LOUSED up.

This has been my musical week. Starting with last Friday we listened to Greg Allman Band & The Guess Who, Saturday was Lynyrd Skynyrd, Joan Jett on Sunday, a friend of mine's son from CA was playing in a band in town on Thursday, and last night was a friend's 50th anniversary-over 300 people with a 10 piece band and a local legend ROCKIN 'DOOPSIE, Jr. ( a Zydeco musicia showed up directly from the airport and put on a wild show. (check him out on You Tube)

My wife is at a baby shower; I am too old for these late nights and will be taking a nap today.

Adios.

Ol' Man Keith said...

Ok - not too tough for a Sat pzl. I did need to check on an athlete's name (or two) so as to get the perps rolling, but it was all fair and doable. No great revelation - except that after years of eating VERMICELLI I now know I have been ingesting micro intertebrate polychaetes. Ugh.
And again, Ugh.

Lucina said...

Greetings, Weekend Warriors!

Very nice expo, Splynter. Thank you.

WEES. I had many of the same jolts some of you did, i.e., sports names,SNELL, UITAS, ELLIE but I WAGGED SIG and was quite surprised it was correct.

The northern area fell in early on and although it was a "land mine" as Avg. Joe said, it eventually made sense. AVES were indeed what we walked on last Sunday on our marathon 5K.

TERRIFY held me up for a long while and so this took longer than it should have because of it until PETRIFY became apparent. I wanted TEMP for spa option but no cigar there and PEEL emerged.

Thank you, Tom Heilman, for a tough but doable challenge.

STAY LOOSE and enjoy your Saturday, everyone!

Lucina said...

Oops. That should be UNITAS and I know, it's Johnny. If it's from the past, I usually recognize the names.

Avg Joe said...

I had several of the erasures that have been mentioned. But had one that hasn't come up. On my first pass I very confidently entered Nat for the .....Hoff clue. I got it straightened out but it really slowed me down. Isn't there a famous Nat Hoff? And if so, what did he do?

John A. said...

good call, big easy...was hoping somebody else recognized that both matt SNELL and johnny UNITAS were prominent figures in super bowl III, one of the landmark games in pro football history which led to the merger and formed the NFL as we know it today

john28man said...

I am a Heilman, but only got about half of it before turning on before turning on RED LETTERS.

Tom, I wonder if we are related.

Big Easy said...

C.C- Downloaded the Border States puzzle. I finished it in about 15 minutes. My last fill was RED ALGAE which came completely from perps- I live in NOLA but am not a foodie. Others solved by perps were OLEN PACER OLEN ALA BIC HAAG BRAILLE & SEAGAL (whose last show (Steven Seagal-Lawman' on A&E) was with my neighbor and filmed within 10 miles of my house. He always came to our Night Out Against Crime parties and let the neighbors take pictures with him. Most people don't know, but he was a certified Deputy Sheriff in Jefferson Parish for 20 years.

As for the circles- I have spent more time trying to figure them out than I did solving the puzzle. My only writeovers were MALI for CHAD and TEL for SSN.

INKY NEMO ORCA ALGA- all marine
MARI COO VANC ARMS- ???

You have to be on Social Security to remember PINKY LEE.

Speaking of BRAILLE- why do ATMs in the drive-thru lane have BRAILLE on the buttons. Blind people don't drive, I hope.

Lucina said...

BigEasy & others:
TMI! Some of us haven't had the chance to work on the puzzle yet.

Jayce said...

Wow, what a terrific puzzle. Pretty hard for me, but chipping away at it and letting my mind go loose enabled me to figure everything out. Wonderful clues. Some great fill. I loved working it.

C.C., your Border States puzzle was also hard, I thought. Very hard. Difficult cluing. Well constructed grid. Areas that gave me trouble were the factual answers clued in a way that required one to have a lot of knowledge. And, of course, sports references.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Good one, Tom! Thanks, Splynter, I had many of the hangups you did.

I picked and pecked along with this and had lots of partial words that hung there while I moved on. Last fill was the "R" in CHOIR/RANGIN cross. I had to do a red-letter alphabet run for that. After knowing the RANGIN is right, I get the connection, but this isn't what I would call celebrate. To me it just means staying up that late on New Years. I used to sing in a CHOIR but not in a loft. Being a farmer, loft meant "Hay" and "pigeons" dwelt therein. Maybe an artist/sculptor had one or realtors sell them. I watch a lot of HGTV.

DECREPIT: shout out to those of us feeling old.

I wanted WiENIE not WEENIE. WIENIE is food, the other is little.

Didn't know TETRIS, AMPAS, PROTEAN. PROTEAN: I once bought Tony Hillerman's mystery book about Navaho witches called "Shapeshifters" and was amused to find it in the health and fitness section along with bodybuilding and yoga books at the book store.

AvgJoe: You're downright poetic today. Bravo!

Y'all were talking about the real estate market the other day. I just learned a parcel of farmland next to one of mine sold for five times what I paid for mine in year 2000. Blew my mind! It's been a good income-producing investment for me, better than expected. What really blows my mind is this piece has been mostly under water several times. I guess people pay more for water-front property.

JJM said...

Not too difficult for a Sat, just some outside the box thinking needed

Bill G. said...

I have always been a fan of Emma Watson who originally played Hermione in the Harry Potter movies. Now I see she's got one of the higher IQs in the entertainment business. Good for her.

Put me down for somebody who thought the correct answer for 19A should have been Wienie. I know WEENIE is in use too but I would use 'wienie' for a frankfurter and 'weenie' as slang for a kiss up, a wimp or a penis.

NOT yellowrocks said...

Weenie Roast vs. Wienie Roast?

GoogleFight has the answer.

PK said...

Good grief! Some of the things they put on the internet. A wienie/weenie fight? Next we'll see dueling dicks? Good grief!

Avg Joe said...

Thanks for the assist, Lime Rickey. That has to be the name that triggered my first guess. I wasn't being lazy, we had a party today and I was too busy to devote any time to Google for idle pursuits. Everyone's gone now, and nothing is broken....that I know of. I'd call that a success.

CrossEyedDave said...

Thank you Tom Heilman for a Saturday Stumper that made me stick with it. Toothache, vermicelli, on lookout etc... gave me enough foothold to keep trying, & 21D person with a warped mind made me cheat my way to the end...(I just had to know...)

Manac! Hey Buddy! Where you been!

Splynter, 3D Tetris? OMG! It's an epiphany! Where can I play!

Hmm, must keep looking, this sucks...

HG, you never cease to peak my interest! (would you believe I have never seen Goodfellas? Well I have to now...)


& Dudley, who the heck is Charles Proteus Steinmetz,? (never heard of him...) I am off to watch a 15 minute video bio of him, if I have time to finish it before I get called to dinner. If it's any good, I'll post it...

CC, I tried yr puzzle yest, but it opened on the program you gave me which also has a reveal button! I was doing the 1st acrosses when the NE corner mystified me & I started cheating on the downs. I thought THIS WILL NEVER DO! MUST SAVE IT FOR LATER! (& now I am trying to read the Blog with on eye closed in case some one reveals too much!)

Bill G. said...

CED, I've never watched Goodfellas either. It got such good reviews that I was excited when it showed up on a cable channel some years back. It quickly got so violent and unpleasant that I turned it off.

Kevin said...

Good afternoon everyone.

I had some enjoyable moments with this puzzle, but the zigzag Natick pile up in the SE corner (mainly SNELL/UNITAS/SESE) left me a bit moody. Also, hand up for struggling with SIG.

C.C. I look forward to your Border States puzzle.

Jayce said...

I learned two things today. 1000 day old Gouda cheese is awesome, and Gouda is pronounced like Howda.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Jayce et al,
That's for solving the "Border States" puzzle. It would not be possible without Brad's guidance. Making this puzzle was a transformative moment for me.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Lucina,
When is the good time for Big Easy or others report their solving experience? On Sunday when the puzzle is no longer fresh?

I or other constructors would not have got detailed feedback if every poster was afraid of spoiling the puzzle for others

Please try to avert your eyes when you read such comments.