google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 Jeffrey Wechsler

Advertisements

Jan 28, 2015

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 Jeffrey Wechsler

Theme - On EDGE in the OUTER Zone.  The word EDGE is broken to form bookends around the theme answers, thus representing the OUTERmost letters of the fill.

17. Fraternal meeting place : ELKS LODGE.   From their website:  Elks invest in their communities through programs that help children grow up healthy and drug-free, by undertaking projects that address unmet need, and by honoring the service and sacrifice of our veterans.

27. "The Cask of Amontillado" writer : EDGAR ALLAN POE.   Certainly not his most famous work.   Nice to see the entire name spelt out, though

41. Where to read candidate endorsements : EDITORIAL PAGE.   And those hilarious letters to the editor.

54. Periphery ... and, literally, the periphery of 17-, 27- and 41-Across : OUTER EDGE.   As far out as you can get without leaving, spilling out or otherwise departing.

 Hi Gang, JazzBumpa here.  There are 3 ways to break EDGE and Jeffery found them all.  Are you on EDGE?   Let's see how edgy the rest of this puzzle is.

Across

1. Help for Holmes : CLUE.  A hint to help Sherlock crack the case, when the game is afoot.

5. All hands on deck : CREW.   A description, not a command.   First big misdirection of the day

9. Baby food, usually : PUREE.   A food substance chopped and mashed into a smooth consistency.

14. "Can you give me a __?" : HINT.   No, Sherlock.  You're on your own.

15. Bass' red triangle, e.g. : LOGO.   Like this, having nothing to do with fish:



16. Dove rival : IVORY.   Bath soaps.

19. Sense & Spray air freshener maker : GLADE.   Replace odor with fresh scent.

20. "Here are the facts," briefly : FYIFor Your Information.

21. Garden outcast : EVE.   After the sneaky snake did his work the garden was uninhabited.

22. Dark suit : SPADES.  Another misdirection, clothed in wordplay.  But we won't be fooled.


23. Central church area : NAVE.  Where the congregation congregates.  Where do the knaves go?

25. Pacific Northwest capital : SALEM.   Oregon

31. Reduced in number : FEWER.   Not as many as there used to be.

32. Track tipsters : TOUTS.      A person who "professes to have, and sells, advance information on or betting selections for a race. Tip Sheets are also sold at the track which are published by these touts."

33. Train cos. : RRSRail Road companies. 

35. Yankee nickname since 2004 : A-ROD.   Alexander Emmanuel "Alex" Rodriguez (born July 27, 1975) is one of the greatest Baseball players of all time, and one of the most despised of our time.

36. Asparagus, mostly : STEMS.  As you can see.


37. Nemesis : BANE.  A ruinous person or thing.

38. ENE or WSW : DIR.  Abbreviated DIRections, without misdirections.

39. Set straight : ALIGN.   To arrange things in their proper positions.  Another misdirection

40. Golfer Palmer, to fans : ARNIE.  Arnold Daniel Palmer (b. Sept. 10, 1929) was a well known professional golfer.  Once many years ago, I played at his Bay Hill course in Florida, and killed a squirrel with a worm-burning drive.  Caught that poor little fella right square in the head.  Also, I once had lunch with Arnie.  True, he was across the room at a different table, but we were both having lunch.

44. Much of the time : OFTEN.  More frequent than now and then.

45. Kitchen add-on? : ETTE.  A cleverly clued affix fill.  Kitchenette. MEH!

46. Yemenis' neighbors : SAUDIS.  They have a new King.

49. "__ been thinking ..." : I'VE.



50. NASA thumbs-up : A-OK.   All systems are go.

53. Acme's opposite : NADIR.    Extremes of ups and downs.

57. Most clubs in a pro's bag : IRONS.   ARNIE tells me this is about golf clubs.  I wonder if Jeremy Irons and Tiger Woods ever played with Mr. T and Lucille Ball?  

58. Scott Turow memoir : ONE L.   The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School

59. Vulcan mind __: Spock's skill : MELD.   A telepathic link allowing individuals to share thoughts and be of one mind, so to speak.  In this sense, the word is a portmanteau of melt and weld that originated in the late 30's.  It's also the reason why nobody ever wanted to play canasta with Mr. Spock.

60. Principle : TENET.  Typically the principles of a belief system.

61. Superstorm response org. : FEMA.   Federal Emergency Management Agency.   They do a heckuva job.

62. Functions : USES.  Purposes.

Down

1. "Cutthroat Kitchen" competitor : CHEF.   Who decided that cooking is a competitive event?

2. Easter bloom : LILY.

symbol of purity, hope, innocence and peace
symbol of purity, hope, innocence and peace
symbol of purity, hope, innocence and peace

3. Critical comment : UNKIND WORD.  Evidently not constructive criticism.

4. Aliens, briefly : ETsExtraTerrrestials.

5. Prosperous, after "in" : CLOVER.   Well off, perhaps even set for life.  The turncoat Max Scherzer comes reality to mind.   This expression alludes to cattle happily feeding on clover.

6. Took the bus : RODE.

7. Fabergé creation : EGG.


8. Reason for hand-wringing : WOE.   Alas and a lack.

9. Sloppy farm digs : PIG PENS.  Go hog wild.

10. Tanning booth light, for short : UV LAMP.    Emitting Ultra-Violet rays to promote tanning, wrinkles, premature aging and possibly skin cancer.  The things we generally call lights should properly be called lamps.

11. Freeway, e.g. : ROAD.    

12. Earth, to Hans : ERDE.   The German word for earth.

13. Windows to the soul, so they say : EYES.  Poetic.

18. "Reading Rainbow" host Burton : LEVAR.   No idea.

22. Mattress supports : SLATS.   Actually these wooden boards support the box spring upon which the mattress sits.

24. Matured : AGED.   My motto: what I lack in youth, I make up for with immaturity.

25. Liqueur in a fizz : SLOE GIN.  Typically made from grain neutral spirits, which is not gin, and the sloe plum, which is not a plum.   In other news, the Battle of Bunker Hill was not fought on Bunker Hill.

26. Barnard grad : ALUMNA.  A female graduate from a traditionally all female university.

27. Like 27-Across' work : EERIE.  Strange, weird, disturbing.  Ravens, anyone?

28. Clothes : ATTIRE.


29. Fruity drinks : ORANGEADES.  Analogs to lemonades, not to be confused with either our resident Lemonade nor benefit concerts for needy Oopaloompas.

30. Bert's buddy : ERNIE.  Muppets.


31. Fleeting fashion : FAD.   Muppets have been around for 60 years.

34. "Get it?" : SEE?.  With your EYES?

36. Schedule openings : SLOTS.  A few free moments.

37. Sassy tyke : BRAT.  

39. Initially : AT FIRST.   In the beginning.

40. More fitting : APTER.   With a little bit of luck, you will never again see this collection of letters.

42. Salt additive : IODINE.  Valuable micronutrient.

43. Low parking garage floor : LEVEL A.  Ground floor, probably

46. Bad mood : SNIT.

47. Bern's river : AARE.    Map.

48. Noodle bar order : UDON.   Per Wikipedia:  Udon (饂飩?, usually written as うどん) is a type of thick wheat flour noodle of Japanese cuisine.

49. List component : ITEM.

51. Gawk at : OGLE.

52. Classic sneakers : KEDS.


54. "That knocked the wind out of me!" : OOF.  Onomatopoeia for the sound of forced exhalation.

55. Sorbonne one : UNE.  The French unit.

56. Aussie runner : EMU.  This flightless bird has absolutely nothing to do with Eastern Michigan University, whose mascot is an eagle.


Well, there were a couple of clunkers that put me on EDGE, but over all, a fine offering with a well executed theme and some nice long verticals.  Hope you enjoyed it.

Cool regards!
JzB

37 comments:

George Barany said...

Nice tight and well-executed theme by Jeffrey Wechsler, and hilarious writeup by JzB.

I've enjoyed "meeting" a number of regulars on this blog over the past year, and appreciate your kind thoughts. Today, I'm excited to share with you the news that this coming Friday's Chronicle of Higher Education crossword, called "Karat Shtick," is by myself and Marcia Brott (edited by Brad Wilber). The puzzle is already on the CHE webpage and we hope you like it.

TTP said...



Good morning all.

Nailed it, but not without a wee bit of difficulty. Nice puzzle Jeffrey. Excellent write up JzB !

Got EDITORIAL PAGE first, and OUTER EDGE shortly thereafter. That helped with EDGAR ALLEN POE. Wouldn't have known that based solely on the CLUE.

Speaking of CLUE, can you give me a lIfT ?. That NW corner was my toughest area, and here are the facts, briefly. I had LILY, ETS and the ELKS part. But couldn't see CHEF and CLUE and UNKIND because I first thumbed a ride at 14A with lIfT, and Instead of FYI, I had SYN, as in synopsis, for facts briefly. But I didn't trust SYN and CHEF soon came to the rescue.

Never heard, or heard and forgot the expression "In CLOVER." With the perps that were present at the time, I typed CLOVES. That kind of occasional wrong answer can be a BANE for someone that doesn't always read the CLUEs before filling in answers. As in ALUMNA. Didn't look at the clue, other than a glance on the first pass, as Barnard meant absolutely nothing to me. I can't imagine sleeping in a bed of CLOVES.

No idea on LEVAR Burton, unless he was a guy on SNL.

Didn't know ERDE. A family friend works for FEMA. Had APSE before NAVE. Still haven't ever heard of NABE. I'll keep listening and looking for it.

IVORY, because Palmolive and Jergens wouldn't fit.

Time to go make coffee.

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Zoomed right through today's Jeff Wex, nary a speed bump in sight. Admired the cleverness of finding theme words that broke up "edge" each of the three ways.

I'm not familiar with Reading Rainbow, but Levar Burton is known for his Star Trek TNG role as Geordi LaForge, the sightless Engineering officer. He wore a visor which generated synthetic vision cues, which were fed to his brain via portals in his temples.

Morning JzB, always enjoy your sense of humor. Whereas I know nothing about sports, I wonder: why is ARod despised?

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Still digging out from yesterday's storm, still struggling with Bill G's sorrow. I wish I could say I can't imagine what it would be like, but I can imagine it all too well.

No major speed bumps today. In CLOVER was completely unknown to me, but the perps were completely solid. Knew Levar Burton from his Start Trek days and remembered what he did before (and after). Also knew who EDGAR ALLAN POE was and what he wrote. I even knew how how to spell ALLAN.

Lemonade714 said...

What a fine midweek puzzle from the prolific JW, with the nice symmetry JzB elucidated in his amusing write up. I particularly enjoyed the use of EAP' s full name.

LEVAR BURTON burst on the acting scene as Kunta Kinte in the mini-series ROOTS his first professional job. He am a has a recurring role on TBBT playing himself.

I hope all in the snow are ok. 33.5 " where I grew up.

Be well all

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Jazzbumpa and friends. I found this to be a very easy Wednesday puzzle. Everything just fell in place for me. My only misstep was to think a COIL supported a mattress instead of a SLAT.

I was amused that ERNIE crossed with ARNIE.

As Lemonade noted, LaVar Burton played Kunta Kinte in Roots.

FEMA is a 4-letter word in many disaster areas. We are still fighting with FEMA in the 10-year aftermath of Katrina.

Although it seems that the New York area was able to avoid the blizzard, it certainly hit parts of New England.

QOD: Total absence of humor renders life impossible. ~ Colette (née Sidonie-Gabrielle Collette, b. Jan. 28, 1873 ~ Aug. 3, 1954)

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Wow, JzB, you were in fine form this morning! Your "They do a heckuva job" comment is reminiscent of what John Hartford said about the Peasall sisters (who sang the part of the little Wharvey girls in O Brother): "They can flat sing."

Remember LEVAR Burton (but wanted to spell it LEVON for some reason). Also spent some time wondering what a "Barnyard grad" could be. But for the most part, today's puzzle was a speed run. No over-writes.

HeartRx said...

Good morning!

Fun write-up, Jazzb! I loved your comment at ATTIRE. (^0^)

I really enjoyed the puzzle, and when I had the first three theme entries filled in, I looked it over and realized that they all began and ended with "E." Then the light went on and I saw EDGE, broken up in different ways. So the last theme entry had to be OUTER EDGE, right? Bingo!!

Like TTP, I wanted "lift" for "Can you give me a ___?" I made it doubly difficult by thinking that 1-D would be "cook" instead of CHEF. I finally got the HINT and moved pretty quickly through the rest of the puzzle.

ERDE was a gimme. There is a dish called "Himmel und ERDE" ("Heaven and Earth") that is pretty common in western Germany. It's made with potatoes, apples, onions and ham. Yumm.

Now to go out and finish the cleanup of the 30+ inches of snow and six foot drifts. Ugh!

thehondohurricane said...

Good morning,

Nice offering from Jeffrey and write up by Jxb. Thank toy both.

Mt biggest issue today is 18D. Is it LEVAR or Lavar? I wanted Lavar but EVE forced the E. It was so long ago, but I thought his name in the Roots credits was spelled Lavar.

Otherwise, straight forward finish today. I'm in CLOVER, an expression I've known since childhood.

I've procrastinated enough, time to face the music and finish the clean up, including another two inches dumped last night. Not looking forward to the zero degree or less wind chill either.



Madame Defarge said...

Greetings!

According to the Chicago Tribune, it seems, by the numbers posted, that Massachusetts (NH, VT, and ME at the back end?) took quite a hit. Hope you are all well, and do remember--no heroics with the shovels. The snow is going nowhere, so take your time. It's an easy way to hurt something, including the onboard pump.

I didn't find the theme right away except for the bookend E's of EDGAR ALLAN POE and EDITORIAL PAGE That made guessing the theme entries easy; I didn't see the EDGE until the periphery clue. I only know meld from cards and cooking, but the telepathic aspect was new to me. I don't follow science fiction. (Not a judgement--glad it's there for those who do.)

JW--thanks for the Wednesday workout, and JzB, thanks for the explications and the great photos--especially the EMU.

Have a cozy day. Hot chocolate or hot toddies to all the snow bunnies!

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, Jeffrey Wechsler, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Jazzbumpa, for a fine review.

Went through this quickly. Amazed myself!

Theme was fine. Finally we get the word LODGE with ELKS (which we get a lot). I am a forty something year member of the Lodge in Erie.

ARNIE was good. I never are lunch with, or near Arnie, but I gassed up his airplane once in Erie. He was not in it at the time.

I worked at Katrina rebuilding a couple years ago in New Orleans and heard some FEMA comments while there.

Did not know LEVAR for 18D. Perps to the rescue.

We have had ONE L before. It is in my head.

Off for a blood test today, per my fourth doctor and his nurse.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

CrossEyedDave said...

Being

On the

edge

can be stressful,

So hang in there...

P.S. Anonymous T Yest 11:04
Any heads up on what we should not click on? The edge link above was originally a "do not hotlink" but I found another copy elsewhere. It worked on my PC as a single pic, but I am afraid that using an Ipad might take you to the website, which was not what I intended...

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was a fun, pretty straightforward offering from JW with, as JzB pointed out, a couple of clunkers but, overall AOK. Didn't catch the theme until the reveal. Thanks, Jeffrey, and thanks, JzB, for the amusing and informative write.

Dudley, ARod is despised because he is an arrogant liar who cheated on his wife and cheated on his team and fans by using illegal substances to enhance his performance in his quest to break Barry Bond's (another cheater) home run title. Unfortunately, he will be back with the Yankees in Spring training, although I'm not sure he'll get much playing time.

Have a great day.

OwenKL said...

A few minor stumbles, but pretty easy. Masons meet in a LODGE HALL, and LEVAR Burton (Jordie on Star Trek:TNG) pronounces the name as LAVAR. Also put PIG STYS at first, even though I knew it should be sties.

Jazz: I'd argue in favor of Amontillado being Poe's most famous story, though The Raven is certainly his best known poem.

There are not just 3 ways to "cut" the EDGE, there is also the default of the cut being after the final or before the first letters, and Jeff used them all:
. EDGE.
.E DGE.
.ED GE.
.EDG E.
.EDGE .

Surprised no one has yet mentioned CLUE & HINT being on top of each other. Nice positioning, always nice to start a puzzle with a HINT to the CLUEs!

The links and your commentary were particularly good today Jazz (they've delayed my posting this by about 2 hours so far). One costume in particular had me puzzled until I got the pun. Gross!

The NAVE at the heart of the church went to steal some tarts. Probably from NEVE yesterday.

CED: here's a better view of that third pic. The second pic neither my 'puter nor I couldn't figure out how to open.

JD said...

Good morning all,
This was lots of fun, and the smoothest Wed for me in awhile.Enjoyed the write up,Bumpa, and the emu. I thought I saw the theme, but I was only half way there . I still was able to fill outer edge just seeing the 2 e's.

had to laugh at the attire. Did anyone else wear a similar Halloween costume in the 70's? We were the king& queen of hearts one year. Poor Bob, each year it was a different pair oF tights.

I don't usually watching cooking shows anymore because the chefs are quite mean, but I DO watch Master Chef Jr. Those kids are amazing.. And the 3 chefs are very complimentary most of the time.

oc4beach said...


A nice Wednesday puzzle. Didn't really try to figure out the theme because everything mostly filled in with wags and perps.

Hand up for "Give me a HAND" vs. hint. Also, most 4-letter European rivers give me a fit.

In today's paper, I read that the NY Yankees are considering not paying ARod $6 million if he hits six more home runs and ties Willie Mays at 660 HRs for fourth place on the career list. This was part of his $275 million contract that he signed in 2007 plus a marketing agreement that pays him $6 million for up to 5 milestones. I don't feel too sorry for him, though, because he still has $61 million in guaranteed money remaining in his contract.

I hope everyone takes it easy in digging out from this storm. More snow is coming.

Barry G. said...

Finally finished tunneling out the driveway. My son didn't help much, but I let him pose in the picture anyway:

Snowpocalypse 2015

Rainman said...

AOK for a Wednesday. Enjoyed it very much but not much of a learning day for me. Thanks Jeffrey and Jazzy. Lots of clever clueing for midweek.

LEVAR Burton has been around for decades... wasn't he in the Roots series?

Thanks, Barry G for the photo. So happy the NE made it through this... coulda been worse. (Snow fooling?)

Yes, our hearts are still with Bill G. So terribly sad.

Lucina said...

Hello, Puzzlers! JazzB, you are in good form today and had me laughing throughout your commentary.

And a jiffy Jeffrey puzzle is an awesome feat as his weekenders are cruel.

WEES. What most of you said. I loved seeing HINT/CLUE astride one another.

Before I saw UVLAMP my soap was CAMAY but IVORY slipped through in the end. FEWER is so seldom used these days and it drives me crazy; less is not a synonym for it.

APTER? That's no better.

If you have young children they might watch Reading Rainbow which is hosted by LEVAR Burton on PBS to encourage reading.

IRONS reminds me of Jeremy on whom I've had a long and unrequited crush.

Have a happy day, everyone, even the snowbound ones of you!
I'm thinking of you, BillG and can't imagine your sorrow.

Dudley said...

Lucina - I'm with you! Less and fewer are not interchangeable, but today's lazy world doesn't seem to care.

Also hand up for Camay before Ivory.

Montana said...

I did this puzzle last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I even suspected the theme at the second EDGE.

I am not handling Bill G's news well at all. When he told us, I absolutely relived the sheriff telling me my son had unexpectedly passed away. It's been 3 months. I should be better. Can't seem to concentrate on anything.
BUT the weather here is incredibly nice, so something is pleasant.

Avatar is our highway home when my 3rd son was born in 1973.

Montana

Misty said...


A wonderful Thursday speed run! Thank you so much, Jeffrey! Loved starting out with HINT (after getting rid of HAND)and then finding CLUE right on top of it! Clever, clever way to start a puzzle.

I was also so happy that I knew EDGAR ALLAN POE and remembered LE VAR Burton from "Roots." Enjoyed the crossing of ERNIE and ARNIE (and sorry to hear A ROD is a jerk, Irish Miss).

Anyway, delightful puzzle, and JazzB, your pics of ATTIRE and EMU cracked me up!

Have a great Thursday, everybody.

Anonymous said...

This was an easy Wednesday workout. Thanks, Jeff W. Enjoyed the write-up,JzB.

Hand up for lIfT before HINT. Also read BARNyARD GRAD so that answer made no sense.

I liked the reference to Eastern Michigan University. I attended there and DH got his MBA there. The urban legend is: if a virgin ever graduates from E.M.U., the water tower will crumble. Ypsilanti Water Tower

Have a nice Wednesday.

Pat

Ergo said...


Thank you Jazz and Jeffrey.

Cruised through this Wednesday grid with hardly a pause. It has been some time since we last saw TOUT and that one was the last to fall. KEDS however seems highly familiar (Monday's puzzle?).

Glad the storm didn't bury the NE as much as predicted.

Magilla Go-Rilla said...

Re-entering my comments that got lost.

18D: Levar Burton played the young Kunta Kinte in the TV miniseries "Roots". Later he did "Star Trek: The Next Generation". Now he does the PBS children's educational show mentioned in the clue.

52D: when I was growing up in the 40's the sneakers were known as U. S. KEDS. my younger cousin called them "us kids".

Jazzbumpa said...

Hi gang -

I had fun with this one. Looks like most of you did too. Thanks for the kind words

pje - my daughter, her husband, my son's wife, one of my step sons and his wife are all Eastern grads.

The Ypsi water tower is an infamous DF landmark.

I didn't make it here Yesterday or Monday, so i missed Bill's post. So tragic. A very dear fiend of mine lost his son several years ago in a very similar accident.

Bill - I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. My deepest condolences.

Namaste
JzB

coneyro said...

Extremely enjoyable puzzle today. I also thought 14A was hand at first, but since 2D answer was lily, knew letter "a" was wrong. So hint it was.

Lavar Burton has been an outspoken proponent of child literacy for decades. My son, who is 37, watched Reading Rainbow as a young boy. To this day, he still devours books. That show helped a generation to appreciate the written word.

Loved seeing Cutthroat Kitchen reference. Cooking shows are the rage now. Masterchief Junior and Chopped are also two others I never miss.

I read that NYC didn't get as much snow as expected. Now the politicians are getting yelled at for being "too prepared" and scaring everyone and wasting/losing money. It's ridiculous.

That's enough ranting for today. Happy Hump Day.

desper-otto said...

Pat@11:41 -- There's a similar legend that the Lincoln Statue on Bascom Hill at the University of Wisconsin campus will stand up if a virgin ever walks past.

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Easy Wed. puzzle. Thanks, Jeffrey! Thanks Jazz for cool review!

Hand up for camaY before IVORY.

We had all of the LEVAR info twice. Read the blog, people!

Cheers!

CrossEyedDave said...

OwenKL @9:52

I would love to know how you found a clear copy of pic#3. While I thought I found one, it reverted to the non full resolution version once I exited & returned. Strange...

I always have trouble, & try not to use anything from TheMetaPicture website. But if another site is using the same pic, I must assume there are no restrictions on it. That is what happened to pic#2. My Windows PC using Chrome shows that pic just fine, but if I use an Ipad using Safari, it cannot be found.

Here is pic#2 again from a 3rd site: Testing.

Misty said...


No wonder I thought this was a speed run--it's only Wednesday, and this was a Wednesday not a Thursday puzzle. So much for thinking I was so smart today!

I too have been thinking about Bill G. and his tragic loss. We had close friends who lost a wonderful daughter some years ago when her bicycle was hit by a car. What sadness for parents.

Montana, my heart goes out to you in your grieving too.

Lime Rickey said...

CED@1:23: "if another site is using the same pic, I must assume there are no restrictions on it."

I'm not sure that's a reasonable assumption.

Spitzboov said...

Good afternoon everyone.

What JzB said in his closure: fine offering, theme, and a couple nice long verticals. Only clinker was LEVAR. Paused briefly with FYI, but CHEF made sense.

ERDE - Hans Brinker would have said 'aarde'. We've all heard of aardvark. Aardvark means 'earth pig'. Guess they're raised in aardvark pens. (Don't know how neat they are. "-) )

Have a great day.

CrossEyedDave said...

Lime Rickey @ 1:57

You are correct, I misspoke.
What I meant to say is that if 500+ other websites are using the same pic, I must assume it is not license restricted as per Google search tools...

But I should not have assumed in the 1st place...

Chickie said...

Hola Everyone,
I must have been on Jeffrey W's wave length today, because I filled in the puzzle about as fast as I could write. That isn't always the case with a JW puzzle.

I liked the "edge" clues and thought this was a very clever and thought out puzzle.

Thanks JzB for the writeup and insight into some of the answers.

I had one place where I goofed and that was Aspe before Nave. I knew better, but didn't read the clue correctly.

Levar Burton was a gimme as I took my class to see his TV presentation on children's books every single week for about two years. He did a fabulous job with the Children's literature and we really looked forward to our half hour with Levar B.

Our grandson in Boston had tons of snow these past two days. The picture of his car was just one big lump in a line of lumps on the street.

Have a great evening everyone.

OwenKL said...

CED: Tried it again, telling it to open in Chrome, and it came up fine after crashing once. The photo is Trolltunga (Troll's Tounge) Norway, and there are photos of groups of people jumping on it, a trapeze set up to hang over the edge of it, basejumpers dropping from it, or a guy doing a handstand on the tip - naked! Depending on your browser, you should have either in your right-click menu or available as an add-on/app/plug-in something called image search. Tineye is a dedicated search engine, and sometimes gives the best results, but Google (and probably Bing or Yahoo) is usually better.

Anonymous T said...

HI All!

ONE Lousy square in 58a (OrEL?) gave me the DNF, but otherwise I was totally with Jeffrey - every answer just popped upon reading the CLUE (with the exception of Barn(y)ard and both rivers).

Favs - CLUE over HINT, PURE(E) over IVORY and both RO(A)D(E)s

Thanks JzB for the fun write-up. Look with your eyes, that ERNIE.

CED - mostly I'm talking about ones in your email. "You got a fax!", "Is this Invoice paid?", etc If you are not expecting a .zip, don't click.

You know how they always tell you the "benefits of your credit-card", but you didn't want the UVLAMP or what ever crap? I finally got a "benefit" (I hope!) - I got to pre-purchase tix to my fav band (Rush) before they go on sale Friday! I've got floor seats in both HOU (with the kids) and CHI (w/ my bros). I've had this card since '90 and it's finally paid-off.*

Cheers, -T
Well, it's always paid-off in balance - er, until right now.