Theme: INTERMEDIATE CAR (55A. Type of auto found in the three other longest puzzle answers) - SEDAN is hidden inside each theme answer.
1A. Buried the hatchet : KISSED AND MADE UP
25A. Got on everyone's nerves : CAUSED A NUISANCE
42A. Showed disapproval : RAISED AN EYEBROW. Hiding "SEDAN" in the answers got me fooled. Intermediate car sounds like a rental. I prefer full size.
Bowling season has begun. We used to wait until after Labor Day but not anymore. The Minnesota State Fair is also in full swing with a bridge club theme this year. NoTrump.
1. Pervasive clown : BOZO. Most clowns not named Emmett Kelly or Ronald McDonald are named BOZO. Just like most butlers are named Jeeves.
5. You, in Peru : USTED. Never heard this word. Put an "H" in front of it and you have Pro Bowler Dave.
10. ABC drama about plane crash survivors : LOST. There's a new film coming out directed by Clint Eastwood "Sully" where the plane landed in the Hudson and all were saved.
14. Footnote notation : IDEM. Another curve ball clue that I missed
15. Nary a soul : NO ONE
16. Stuff in a dump : AMMO. I first thought of TRASH but that was too many letters
20. Leafy Tolkien creature : ENT. My spellcheck is underlining in red.
21. Boomers' kids : XERS. Ditto - It would be nice to have real words
22. Round gaskets : O-RINGS. If the O stood for onions - taste buds watering.
23. Steely Dan album pronounced like a continent : AJA - Dan is not of my generation.
24. Move with effort : PLOD
33. Let in or let on : ADMIT
34. Man with a code : MORSE ... ._ __ .._ . ._..
35. Prohibit : BAN
36. They may be black or green : TEAS
37. __ Waldo Emerson : RALPH. My father and one Grandfather were named Ralph. However when "The Honeymooners" became popular on TV, people stopped naming their sons Ralph. "Bang Zoom - to the Moon".
38. Ask for proof of age : CARD. If you did not understand my comment on 37A, you may need to show your card to buy smokes or booze.
39. Street in "Freddy vs. Jason" : ELM O, tickle me.
40. __ colony : PENAL
41. With "en," hot, in sports slang : FUEGO. Another spellcheck red line.
45. Western tribe : UTES. Mostly found in Utah
46. Remote cells : AAS. Got me again ???
47. Evening get-together : SOIREE. Not sure about the get-together, I thought this was a battle. Like between the Cubs and the Mets.
50. Venus de Milo knockoffs? : ARMS. Never did like that statue.
52. Stat for Chris Sale : ERA. Complete game loss last start.
58. Fine spray : MIST
59. Meathead's '70s TV mother-in-law : EDITH. Jean Stapleton - great! Carroll O'C0nnor - So so.
60. Scintilla : WHIT
61. Bump on a lid : STYE. I thought this was an eye problem.
62. Tony of "Who's the Boss?" : DANZA
63. Seemingly forever : EONS. How long it took me to solve this puzzle.
1. Kid's wheels : BIKE. Schwinns were the best - and most $$$$
2. Ruler of the Valkyries : ODIN. Who the heck were the Valkyries. Biker dudes??
3. Get-up-and-go : ZEST. Get up and go get some soap
4. Mantra sounds : OMS
5. Like zombies : UNDEAD. Never liked this term
6. Rise dramatically : SOAR
7. Oodles : TONS. Exactly what is an OODLE? Can you just have one of them ?
8. Word with tight or loose : END. Tight end is a football player, Loose end is a defensive end who took PEDs.
9. Reduce to rubble : DEMOLISH. How a drunk pronounces "Demolic.
10. Pretentious : LA- DI- DA
11. Writing on the wall, so to speak : OMEN. An OMEN is a Twilight Zone happening or occurrence. I have never seen one written on a wall.
12. Complacent : SMUG
13. Bikini parts : TOPS
18. Joe Namath, notably : EX-JET Also Brett Favre qualifies.
19. Came up : AROSE. A rose by any other name still smells the same.
23. Without warranty : AS IS. Do not buy it. There must be something wrong.
24. Flowery, as prose : PURPLE. Prince's Rain, Also Minnesota Viking's color.
25. Provide fare for an affair : CATER - I remember one of Buddy Hackett's routines about confession. "Rabbi I had an affair." "Really? how many people, Who catered it?"
26. "A Passage to India" heroine : ADELA
27. Savory taste : UMAMI. Another low and outside clue and word.
28. Some refrigerators : AMANAS. I believe Amana appliances come from Iowa. And you thought all Iowa had were pigs and corn. Shame on you.
29. "Interstellar" director Christopher : NOLAN. I prefer 7 no hitters ___ Ryan.
30. Mav or Cav : NBAer
31. Things in a hold : CARGO. John Cena had too many letters
32. Fund, as an academic chair : ENDOW
37. Got money for : REDEEMED. Never got money, Redeemed S & H Green Stamps for Stuff.
38. Team that hasn't won a World Series since 1908 : CUBS - Well some blame Steve Bartman for catching a foul ball. But give credit to the old man and the goat in 1945.
40. Fizzle (out) : PETER
41. Elaborate spread : FEAST. On a good old fashioned Norwegian Smorgasbord.
43. French police force : SURETE. Never heard of it.
44. Steinway competitor : YAMAHA. Also maker of Motorbikes if it's the same company.
47. Virtual citizens in a video game : SIMS
48. Doing the job : ON IT
49. Teeny : ITSY. Yeah I know - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie yellow polka dot bikini.
50. Deuce follower, in tennis : AD IN. I believe that the tennis scoring system was created by five drunk hockey players in a revolving door.
51. Cracker brand : RITZ. My favorites - add peanut butter.
52. Chamber effect : ECHO. I prefer Swiss yodel effect effect effect.
53. Drops from above : RAIN - Prince's Purple stuff, see above.
54. Part of MFA : ARTS
56. Writer LeShan : EDA
57. Farm female : EWE