Theme: Owies - The answers to the starred clues each contain two "OW"s.
18A. *In Hades, euphemistically: DOWN BELOW
30A. *Puffy Chinese dog: CHOW CHOW
49A. *Bovine yogurt brand: BROWN COW
3D. *Auto feature that doesn't need a crank: POWER WINDOW
27D. *Head rest on a sofa: THROW PILLOW
60A. Pained expression, and a hint to two cries hidden in each answer to a starred clue: THAT HURTS
Argyle here. C.C. has given us a neat Tuesday puzzle. The reveal may have not given actual answers but may have disproved an answer already entered.
1. __ New Guinea: PAPUA
6. Closest buddies, for short: BFFs. (Best Friends Forever)
10. Cleaning cloths: RAGS
14. Three through nine, in many golf club sets: IRONS
15. On the sheltered side, at sea: ALEE
16. Old flames: EXes
17. "The Daily Show" regular Black: LEWIS
20. Back to square __: ONE
21. Ballet skirt: TUTU
23. Every bit: ALL
24. Béarnaise sauce herb: TARRAGON. Edible leaves with a distinctive anise or licorice flavor.
26. Pearly whites: TEETH
29. Escorted by: WITH
33. Where to find a sleeper hit, perhaps: B SIDE
35. Lascivious look: LEER
36. "Good point!": "TRUE!"
37. "Raggedy" doll: ANN
38. 601, to Seneca: DCI
40. Obstinate mount: ASS
42. East, in Essen: OST. Essen, Germany.
43. Fishing poles: RODs
45. Leave out: OMIT
47. Actor Cary __ of "Kiss the Girls": ELWES
51. Part of a process: STEP
52. Adjust just a bit: TWEAK
53. "Way to go, sister!": "ATTA GIRL!"
57. Hook shape: ESS
58. "Very cool!": "NEAT!"
59. Where bovines graze: LEA. Cows, cattle, kine.
64. Makes angry, with "up": RILES
66. German automaker: AUDI
67. Commuter's choice: RAIL
68. Popped up: AROSE
69. Fountain of jazz: PETE
70. Poet St. Vincent Millay: EDNA
71. Poked at, cat-style: PAWED
1. First sitcom episode: PILOT
2. Hockey venue: ARENA
4. College, to Aussies: UNI. (University)
5. Per what was previously mentioned: AS STATED
6. Mistreating: BAD TO
7. Frilly addition to a skirt: FLOUNCE
8. "A __ Good Men": FEW
9. Capitol Hill lawmakers: SENATORS or 28. Lawmaking body: HOUSE
10. Put back in office: REELECT
11. Rock singer Rose: AXL
12. Prefix with political or logical: GEO
13. NNE opposite: SSW
19. Failed, as a fuse: BLEW
22. "That's awful!": "UGH!"
25. Divested (of): RID
31. Oil or gas follower: HEAT
32. Dampens: WETS
33. Stinging remark: BARB
34. Stifled laugh: [SNORT!]
35. Long ride, for short: LIMO
39. Intolerably confident: COCKSURE. Does the name, Anonymous, come to mind?
41. Put out bait, say: SET A TRAP
44. Beau or boo: SWEETIE
46. "Sign me up!": "I WANT IN!"
48. Relay race part: LEG
50. Trio member with Crosby and Stills: NASH. The lyrics can be found on the YouTube site.
51. Metro stop: Abbr.: STA. (station)
54. Electrical pioneer Nikola: TESLA. Old friend!
55. Dodger Pee Wee: REESE. He made the move from Brooklyn to Los Angeles.
56. Zapped with a beam: LASED
60. Activate, as a phone app: TAP. Beyond my ken.
61. Tint: HUE
62. Home security giant: ADT. Founded in 1874; 143 years ago, as American District Telegraph.
63. "Cool!": "RAD!). My comment about the above entry.
65. Nest egg initials: IRA. (Individual Retirement Account)