google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, September 11th, 2026 ~ Jeff Stillman

Gary's Blog Map

Sep 11, 2026

Friday, September 11th, 2026 ~ Jeff Stillman

REAR ADMIRAL~?

Arrgh Matey
'Talk like a Pirate' Day is next Saturday, Sep 19th

Jeff Stillman is a prolific puzzle producer - ten NYT crosswords, and today's LA Times makes sixty by my count.  My last blog of his was also his last post - January of this year, where he added a "B" sound to the themers, almost in reverse of what editor Patti gave us three weeks ago.  Today we have a redefining of clue words with a 'sound-alike' description in the answer using the first letter of the clue as a "homophone" - at least that's how I can try to explain it.  I caught on at the centered "eye doctor", which was good, since there is no 'reveal' in this construction.  ALOT of two-word/Twurds today, a handful of names; no circles, no 'outlier' squares, no expanded grid, and just 13 3LWs.  The themers;

17. Copperhead?: SEA SERPENT - "C" serpent (e.g. snake), Copperhead begins with a "C"

25. Timeout?: TEA BREAK - "T" break, Timeout starts with a "T"

35. Immunologist?: EYE DOCTOR - "I" doctor, Immunologist starts with an "I"

49. Parkas?: PEACOATS - "P" coat, Peacoats starts with a "P"

58. Xylophonist?: EX-MUSICIAN - "X" musician, Xylophone starts with an "X"

But Wait, There's More;

Brodeur~? = Beekeeper ( NJ Devils goalie )

Gyroscope~? = Gee Whiz

Oh boy~? = Oliver

Quill~? = Cue stick

Umbilical~? = YouTube

Vault~? = Vee formation (OK, meh.)

Yourself~? = Why me


ACROSS:

1. Per person: A POP - ugh.  Starting with one of the worst Twurds - not "EACH"

5. Hall of Fame pitcher Satchel who said, "If a man can beat you, walk him": PAIGE - Name #1, but I knew this one

10. Rope tow successor, at some ski resorts: T-BAR - it sounds "wrong" to call it a "rope tow", and not a tow rope, but they are 'different'

Still going in VT after 85 years - the website

14. 007 foe: DrNO - James Bond in his first film, name #2

15. Sleep clinic study: APNEA

16. No more than: MERE - There were a "MERE" two comments last Friday - I thank the Cornerites for the FLN addtions on Saturday ( Happy B-day HuskerG~! ), and the email thread, too.  

19. Large amount: SCAD

20. Official order: EDICT

21. "Rubbish!": "PISH~!" - Meh.  It's "BOSH~!" in my part of the world . . . but it is a word

23. Potato-peeling GIs: KPs - Kitchen Patrol

24. Grab: SNATCH

27. Become peeved: GET SORE - Twurd #2

29. Like a wide grin: TOOTHY

30. Green Day drummer __ Cool: TRร‰ - I know him too, still a name, #3

31. Tolkien forest creatures: ENTs - Lord of the Rings "Tree People" - A I calls them humanoids . . .

34. Spanish cat: GATO - Italian Gatta is for nylons . . .

. . . uh, OK, it's for "cat", too ๐Ÿ™„

38. 1952 Winter Olympics site: OSLO - Geo name #4

40. Trade punches: SPAR

41. Coral isle: CAY - of course, I put in KEY - at least it's derived from the same root word


44. Chip in, in a way: ANTE UP - Poker #1, two words #3

46. Squalid digs: RAT HOLE - Two words #4


52. Like some transfers: IRON-ON . . . not a Twurd due to its hyphen

53. Be decisive: OPT

54. Cap site: KNEE - not HEAD - that's a different kind of 'cap' . . . 

55. Tally mark: NOTCH - "Before I put another notch in my lipstick case . . ."

Pat Benatar, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Lyric @ 3:12

56. Glorify: LAUD

61. Turkey bacon?: LIRA - didn't fool me; the moola/bread/dough in the country of Turkey

62. Put in more chips, say: RAISE - Poker #2

63. Words before a start date: AS OF - Two words #5

64. Mine finds: ORES

65. Job candidate's talking point: ASSET - I tried FORTE

66. Part of an Instagram feed: REEL


DOWN:

1. Pitches: ADs - the noun, not the verb; Friday vague

2. One who hogs the mirror: PREENER - My first thought, but hesitated

3. Looking for sparks, perhaps: ON A DATE - Thwurd, and Hahtoolah hit the mark on Tuesday~!

More like IN a date . . .

4. Puts forward: POSITS - I tried OFFERS

5. Short hole on a golf course: PAR THREE - Good fill, still two words, #6

Leif Olson wins a BMW

6. Android download: APP - if you're an Apple advocate, you are apt to add an app as well; 's a lotta a's

7. Bungling: INEPT - as in averse to being able . . . more of them a's

8. Disney character who is blue most of the time?: GENIE


9. Vexes: EATS AT - Two word #7

10. Protected IDs: TMs - I had no idea; did a Google search, found out it's for Trademark identification when filing for a patent . . . oof, that's Friday for you - the website

11. "Waiting for Godot" playwright: BECKETT - Name #5

12. Great Plains people: ARAPAHO - name(ish)

13. Morning omen for sailors: RED SKY - "Red sky night, sailor's delight; red sky morning, sailor's warning" - my mother used to say it this way all the time

Still a two word, #8

18. Danish footwear brand: ECCO - I always think it's MCAN, but that's an American brand - and - when I looked on the Wiki page for those shoes, discovered the company was founded by J. Franklin McElwain along with Ward Melville - I went to the high school named after him . . . still a name, #6

22. Video-on-demand service phased out in 2020: HBO Go - Twurd, #9.  The Wiki

24. Mil. rank: SGT

26. Laugh good and hard: ROAR

28. Brings to a close: ENDS

32. Best: TOP - Funny - "TOP" was the "addition" in last week's theme

33. Lasting effect: SCAR - I know it's Friday, but is it an 'effect'~?

35. Monthly util. bill: ELECtric

36. "Is everything all right?": "YOU OK~?" - Twurd #10 - we're into double digits now

37. Purchase for which it's important to consider tracking?: TRAIN SET - I still have plans to build a model railroad in my house some day . . . still  two words, #11

The spectacular and tragic story of the Gorre & Daphetid model railroad

38. Paltry poker holding: ONE PAIR - Poker #3, still two words, #12, and I tried TWO PAIR to start

39. Prominence: STATURE

41. Short and sweet: CONCISE - like these last two clues/answers

42. Song written by Queen Lili'uokalani: ALOHA 'OE - Two words~?  the Wiki

43. Desire: YEN - I had a desire to try playing a double-neck guitar left-handed, and it worked

At $400, this Epiphone 6 & 12 string guitar was a no-brainer
because the bolt-on necks allowed me swap them -
the bridges are fine, the knobs, not so much . . .
send me an email LA Darren~!

44. Twin of Artemis: APOLLO - Greek gods AND Moon Missions

45. Bakery-cafe chain with Salad Stuffers: PANERA - Monday dupe, along with KEY

47. "Star Trek: TNG" counselor Deanna: TROI - name #7, but I am a Next Generation Trekkie


48. Chop shop wheels: HOT CAR - Twurd #13

50. State that joined the union in 1845: TEXAS - Duh - I could only think of MAINE as a five-letter state, and I knew IDAHO was too far west for 1845 - that state joined the union in 1890

51. Rounds in tourneys: SEMIs

57. Govt. prosecutors: DAs - Meh.  I tried AGs for Attorney Generals . . .

59. Consume: USE - I used C.C.'s suggested recipe and made Kung Pao chicken . . .

. . . and then consumed some - it's got some zing~!

60. Commanders' org.: NFL - The National Football League's Washington team, nรฉ the REDskins, are now "PC" . . .

Grid Flow 19.3

9/11, 25 Years Later

I was watching on TV only sixty miles away when I saw the second plane
enter the frame, and knew that we were no longer witnessing 'an accident'


The Memorial website of this image
Splynter
 
 
Notes from C.C.:

Happy birthday to dear Husker Gary, our wonderful Saturday Sherpa! Thank you for guiding us through the Saturday puzzles with your wit, warmth and good humor. Wishing you a fantastic day and a happy, healthy year ahead!

Left to Right: Boomer, Gary, C.C. & Joann (August 2014) 

26 comments:

  1. I DID end up
    understanding the reveal, but it took me a minute.
    Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

    And Happy Birthday, Husker Gary!
    Your Saturday commentary is invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!

    This was a cute sounds-like-a-letter theme. Got 'er done in ten minutes -- pretty good for d-o. Thanx, Jeff and Splynter. (Are you sure Ward is the Melville that was your school's namesake?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIW with INaPT x SEA SERPaNT. Untie squared! Also, act->OPT, inane->INaPT, trail gps->TRAIN SET, and eat->USE. Didn't get the theme until Splynter 'splaned it.

    Yeah, if you drink too much alcohol, it will affect your body. The effect might be cirrhosis.

    Thanks to Jeff for the Friday challenge. I'm less than gruntled about the theme, but the rest was mostly fun. And thanks to Splynter for another fun rundown. Yes, your GATTO wasn't what was required, but it was a pretty good miss. (See what I did there?)

    Looks like I might be blue again, from no action by me. Blogger works in mysterious ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not Blogger. It is your browser

      Delete
    2. You sure 'bout that Jethro? Seems like a lot of other folks have had more problems since the new Blogger format was introduced. Blogger may be demanding different behavior from the browser now, and if that causes a systemic problem, I would point the finger at Blogger even if Blogger is working as designed. Is there a Win 12-compatible browser that doesn't have this intermittent operation?

      Delete
    3. Yes, I am positive. You have to allow 3rd party cookies to get consistent results. It works consistently for me on Firefox, Chrome and Edge.

      What browser are you using?

      Delete
  4. FIR.
    Never forget 9/11. A truly sad day even 25 years later!
    I had a struggle with today's puzzle. And I'm not exactly fond of TMs as an answer for protected ID's. But persistence paid off.
    I stared at the long answers trying to "sea" a theme, but I could not. I had to come here to have it explained to me. Frankly it still puzzles me.
    But overall an enjoyable puzzle.


    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning:

    I had a lot of trouble in the SE corner but eventually saw the light and FIR. The write up confirmed my vague idea about the theme. No strong feelings about the puzzle either way, just that I still miss the challenge and satisfaction of the long ago Friday offerings.

    Thanks, Jeff, and thanks, Splynter, for the candid review and for the easy to understand pluses and minuses of the grid’s fill.

    Happy 80th Birthday to our wise and wonderful Saturday Sherpa, HG. Enjoy your very special day and important milestone.๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽˆ๐Ÿ’•

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Took 8:17 today to drink my Johnnie Walker (jay walker) and drive my T-bird (turkey).

    Unknowns for me today were "pish", "Troi", "Tre", & "aloha oe".

    I had "hot rod" before "hot car" and "each" before "a pop." Otherwise, smooth sailing, despite the red sky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Musings
    -In the movie , Henry Fonda was asked to give a speech about turning 80. He said, “I’m surprised it got here so fast!” I echo that sentiment and am thankful for the warm wishes from my second family.
    -I enjoyed today’s solve and teetered on the edge of getting the gimmick but came here as I knew Splynter would have it and I have a busy day.
    -I saw my “I” doctor yesterday and she said my second cataract is not yet “ripe enough” to be removed
    -An Omaha dentist has a phone number that ends in 2323 (TOOTHY TOOTHY)
    -When Turkey is in the clue as the first word, you must expand all that it could denote
    -I have several APPS that help me find an item in my box stores
    -TROI is one obscure “seen only in cwds” (for me) name I remember

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday, young man. If you had watched TNG you'd remember TROI vividly.

      Delete
    2. Gary, could you please email me re: cataract surgery.

      Mark S msk566@protonmail.com

      Delete
  8. I had to read the summary twice to understand the reveal. This puzzle was much more fun than Wednesdays or Thursday puzzle, neither which I finished. I had a bit of a problem in the NE as I initially put in SSN and nothing was working.

    ReplyDelete
  9. if you haven't already, check out the pat benatar and martina mc bride video of independence day! crank the volume!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this puzzle. Maybe because I detected the theme at TEA BREAK.

    I did have a few erasures: each >A POP, on a dare > ON A DATE, act> APT, key> CAY, eat > USE. Also quite a few unknowns taken care of by perps like: TROI, ECCO, TRE, GENIE, HBOGO. PAR THREE was a WAG.

    Thank you Splynter for keeping track of names and twurds. ๐Ÿ˜œ

    Happy birthday to our Saturday Sherpa, as C.C. calls him. ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ‚๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽˆEnjoy your special day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Jeff and Splynter.

    Happy Birthday, Husker Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Husker Gary!
    Forgive the rosemary, but at least it's got the eightieth right...

    ReplyDelete
  13. After taking a long look at TEA and SEA filled by perps I could C what was happening. The I doctor only confirmed my suspicion. Was the T-BAR fill for 10A a hint?

    PISH was all perps; never heard of that.
    TRE & Green Day- no kowledge of either.
    One night a few years back we went to a comedy play at Le Chat Noir and went to eat at El Gato Negro afterwards.
    KEY or CAY- fill a Y and wait for a perp to complete
    Turkey bacon and Turkish lira ($ .02); both near worthless if you've ever tasted it.
    The soles on my ECCO dress shoes disintegrated after about 5 years. I might have worn them 10 times.
    The men's SEMIS for the US Open start at 3pm today on ESPN.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Frantic Friday. Thanks for the workout, Jeff and Splynter.
    I required a couple of Google helps (ALOHAOE and HBOGO) to finish, but I did C the alphabet theme early in the solve.

    Plenty of inkblots.
    Hand up for Each before A POP, Key before CAY, Head to KNEE, Act before OPT, Eat before USE (we had
    EATS AT 9D which made me change the dupe).
    I had SmileY before TOOTHY perped.

    We had ANTE UP and RAISE, plus a ONE PAIR poker holding.
    I liked the clues for TRAIN SET, and KNEE.

    Happy 80th Birthday HuskerG.

    Wishing you all a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. “Twenty-five years on, our grief has not faded – and neither has our resolve to stand against hatred and terrorism. Today, we remember every life that was taken and those whose lives were changed forever.
    Canadians stand with our American neighbours in mourning, remembrance, and solidarity.”
    (Part of a message from Canadian PM, Mark Carney)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Took 19 minutes to FIR due to the 15 names, of which I DNK 6.

    EACH/APOP, KEY/CAY, SSN/TMS. I did figure out "TM" was "trademark" after a bit of forehead wrinkling. "LIRA" looked to be quite a stretch for "Turkey bacon"; then I thought of "Bring home the bacon" where "bacon" means money.

    I did get the theme but only after completing the CW and looking it over. Clever. Thanx JS, a difficult but fun Friday offering. I might pick a nit with "Peacoats" being "Parkas". A parka has a hood. Peacoats do not. Still several really clever clues like 52A, 61A, 10D, and winner-of-the-day, 37D. I enjoyed working your creation today.

    Thanx too to Splynter for the dependably terrific write-up. I especially liked your inclusion of the science behind the "Red Sky" saying for sailors. Very, very nice legs pic today.

    HBD HG! A milestone BD, too. Just like you said, when I turned 80 almost two years ago (I turn 82 Oct 24) I thought, "Wait! WHAT? What happened to 28? How could I have been 28 yesterday and be 80 today??" Anyway, enjoy your big day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hola! First, happy birthday, Gary! And happy birthday to my granddaughter!
    I thought this was more of a Wednesday puzzle. But I finished in good time with some bad ink blots where USE replaced ATE and TRAIN SET went in where TRAINERS were. I never would have known SEMIS in that context, but TEXAS came to mind immediately.
    ALOHA OE used to be the welcome song when we arrived in Hawaii.
    For some reason I can't immediately recall if APOLLO has two P's or two L's.
    Yes, Big Easy is right; for $2.00 U.S, we got one million LIRA in Turkey!
    Enjoy your day, everyone and let us keep 9/11 in mind today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rather easy for a Friday…this is not a complaint

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaargh, matey — APOP again?? ๐Ÿคฎ (๐Ÿคฃ). But other’n that, a pretty straight-on puzzle for a Friday. I finally grokked the theme hook with EXMUSICIAN; it was an “ahah!” moment, I guess, to C it. One I don’t buy is MERE for “No more than”…pretty weak (the only reason I got it was because I know TMS are protected). But the rest of the clueing was enjoyable, and the FIR wasn’t too hard to get, so kudos to Mssr. Stillman for the fun cruise.

    Speaking of fun — thanks for all the giggles again, Splynter! Nice kitty you posted, along with the Pat Benetar vid — great song, she’s one talented writer. Plus I love the shot of that doubleneck, and yeah, I get how you’d “flip” it to RH play — will you just have the 12-string neck on the bottom or are you going to switch bridges too? I’ll try to find your email contact here on the blog.

    Even after 50+ years as a skier, I still remember my first experience with a rope tow; it did not go well…and t-bars were not much better for this tall skinny dude. Poma lifts were much easier.

    ALOHA O’E was a gimme from my years living over on The Rock. Queen L. was quite the lady (and today that moniker would probably ID her as a rapper!).

    Happy Birthday, Husker G! ๐ŸŽ‚๐Ÿ™๐ŸผThe big Eight-Oh, huh? You’re looking remarkably well-preserved, my man — keep on truckin’! I’m chasing ya as fast as I can, but somehow I’m still 5 years behind you ๐Ÿคฃ

    Thank you for that, Canadian Eh! Never forget. And as an American, I apologize to you and your countrymen for all the idiocy being foisted on you AS OF late; not very neighborly, is it ๐Ÿ˜–

    ====> Darren / L.A.

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.