google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, Sep 25th, 2026 ~ Rebecca Goldstein

Gary's Blog Map

▼

Sep 25, 2026

Friday, Sep 25th, 2026 ~ Rebecca Goldstein

 IF THE CLÜE FITS . . .

The full line of Diane von Furstenberg's crossword fashions clip

Rebecca Goldstein returns with a Friday foray into fashion - Five fills framed as (out)FITs, with their associated attire in the answers ( see what I did there~? ).  This is Ms. Goldstein's sixth puzzle this year, and I blogged a streak of her constructions on Wednesdays in, Jan, Feb, and March of 2025.  I found today's puzzle less difficult than yesterday's.  For a change, we had no add-in/on letters as a theme, a standard grid - which is unusual for Rebecca - no 'outlier' squares, just a handful of names ( but a crossing pair, thus a Natick ), no circles, and 17 3LWs, one more than the 5-letter word count.  The themers, with 38A. at the center, and no reveal;

17. Fit to eat?: LOBSTER BIB - You can eat the lobster, but not the bib

38. Fit for a king?: PAJAMAS - A king-sized bed, very clever

62. Fit for work?: SUIT AND TIE - Thankfully, I've never had to wear a suit & tie for work

11. Fit to a tee?: GOLF SHIRT - Not the "T" shirt, the "tee" prop of a golf ball

34. Fit for service?: CHOIR ROBE - Here's Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture
with a full, robed choir and pipe organ ( in the background )

Perhaps you prefer a choir with real cannons - this one

But Wait - Get Dressed - There's More~!

 

ACROSS:

1. Diminish: WANE - Think the Moon, and thus - 32D. 1-Across opposite: WAX - now makes sense

5. "Too rich for my blood": I'M OUT." - Poker reference, but the "catch phrase" of Shark Tank, too

10. "My word!": "EGAD~!"

14. Fusses: ADOs

15. Bay area on the East Coast: TAMPA - Kinda vague, kinda Friday, Geo name #1

16. Olden times: YORE

19. Enthusiasm: ELAN - "E"lliteration . . . 🙄

20. Uno e uno e uno: TRE - Español:  English - 1 and 1 and 1 is three - I only saw "uno" = Italian 😜

The Beatles, lyric @2:42

21. Arabian aristocrat: EMIR - we're "A & E"ing all over this blog . . .

22. Hurled: LET FLY - e.g., insults

24. Nintendo princess: ZELDA - the original video game is now 40 years old; name #2

26. Archrivals: NEMESES - the plural spelling

28. __ Minor: URSA

30. Event that may have drawings: ART SHOW - very clever clue / answer; LOTTERY fit, too

33. Single ant, say: SCOUT - I tried DRONE to start - had just the "O", but "totes" correct . . . 🙄

35. Hon: BAE - cringe.  I don't care for this abbr at all, even IRL, not just crosswords . . . 😖

OK, the Shein "Bae" outFITs are pretty attractive . . . 

36. "Proud Mary" singer Turner: TINA - name #3

37. "Don't think so": "NAH."

41. Nero Wolfe creator Stout: REX - I read the whole series, have a boxful of the paperback books I am still waiting to display, as the shelves I have planned still need to be built; name #4

42. Book jacket blurbs: BIOs - a biography, in a few words 

44. Lip-smacking word: YUM~!

45. Air ways: DUCTS

47. Masterful demonstrations: CLINICS - typically related to sports professionals, musicians, etc.

49. Capital city with a Museum of the Viking Age set to open in 2027: OSLO - I'd like to visit that kind of place - still, a geo name, #5

50. Home body?: REALTOR - Har-har

52. Diving aquatic birds: LOONS

56. One sister in "King Richard": SERENA - The "S" being a Natick crossing with another name, #6, I had no clue, was thinking Shakespeare's "Richard III", then King Lear, but no - this is the story of "Richard", the father of sisters Venus & Serena, and his drive for making them successful tennis pros

58. Treadmill setting: PACE - I finished 45mins at level 5 on the Stairmaster; this week I started level 6

60. D.C. MLBer: NATional

61. The whole shebang: A TO Z

65. Broccoli __: RABE

66. Law of __: trigonometry equation: SINES - for the math geeks; for the Law(yer) of SIGNS . . .

And many more, here

67. Mud: JAVA - coffee slang

68. Sudsy mugfuls: ALES

69. "Tough crowd!": "YEESH~!" - I usually spell it "SHEESH" in my journal

70. Zoomed: SPED


DOWN:

1. Flounce: WALTZ - "you think you can just come ___ing in here dressed like that~?!?"

2. Be wild about: ADORE

3. Prize first awarded in 1901: NOBEL - name(ish) - the 'explosive' & tragic life of  Alfred Nobel

4. Slow start?: ESS - metaclue, "S" starts the word sLOW

5. Object: ITEM - nailed it, but wondered if it might be the legalese verb, "I object, your honor~!"

6. Yacht spot: MARINA - and SERENA, look at us rhyming~!

7. Color gradient technique: OMBRE - never heard this term, usually related to hair, and of Frawnche origin, meaning "shadow"; I found this "Fire" version, and while I've not seen it IRL, it's mesmerizing. . .


Here's a YouTube clip on how to D-i-Y

8. News initials: UPI - United Press International, and it's American, too . . . 😁

9. Rehearsals a cast generally won't stand for?: TABLE READS - made me think of a Family Guy episode; Seth MacFarlane and cast have done live ones at Comic Cons, but they're definitely NSFW

10. Reason to look one's best?: EYE TEST - very clever, that kind of "look"

Can you read line seven~?

12. Central Asia's North __ Sea: ARAL - Geo name #7

13. Say "It wasn't me," say: DENY

18. Start to cry: TEAR UP - start to cut a rug; TEAR it UP~!

Gramatik, Tearin It Up

23. Rough fig.: ESTimate

25. Pair: DUO - Dah~!  Not TWO

27. "M'lady": MA'AM

29. Sarcastic response to rude behavior: STAY CLASSY - Yeah, or Meh~?

31. Individuals: ONES

33. Travel as the wind blows: SAIL - ah, another good clue / answer; if you're on a submarine, does one still "set sail~?" - I'm reading a book that involves U-Boats, and I thought this description a bit odd . . .

35. Comic book onomatopoeia: BAM~!


37. "SVU" network: NBC - the Law & Order "Special Victims Unit" spin-off

39. A second ago: JUST - We missed it~? When~?

"Just now~!" @ 1:40

40. Morose: SULLEN

43. Seasonal allergy symptoms: SNEEZES

46. Murmur: COO

48. "What We Can Know" novelist McEwan: IAN - name #8

49. Pontificates: ORATES - AND . . . 

51. Pontificate: OPINE - nearly a pure clecho
                                                             
53. Ready to pour: ON TAP - not Spïnal Tap - but speaking of umlauts . . .

54. Inexperienced: NAÏVE - from the Frawnche - and another umlaut

The ümlaut bänds wëbsite

55. Place: STEAD

56. Singer-songwriter Bareilles: SARA - the crossing "S" name, a bit harsh, but guessable, name #9

Written to appease the recod label, it's a clever NOT "Love Song"

57. Bibliography abbr.: ET. AL. - Latin et alia(i) - and others

59. Paper money: CASH - couldn't be ONES, that was up at 31D.

63. Driver's one-eighty: UIE - U-Turn abbr.; got burned by this in a recent puzzle

64. Turntable pros: DJs - and now, it's time for "PJ"s . . .

Splynter

Grid Flow 35.2

33 comments:

  1. Well, it was a bit of a
    struggle, but in the end, I got it.
    FIR, so I’m happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FIR, but ease->WANE, not me->IM OUT, and nines->SINES. Waited for uey / UIE.

    The horrible Nor’easter that Norfolk has been experiencing is supposed to begin to WANE tomorrow. Storm surge has been closing several major streets at every high tide for days now. It only affects me because I wanted to go to Costco yesterday, but didn’t because I’d have to drive through some leftover salt water puddles even at low tide.

    TEAR UP – The cheerleader started to tear up when she realized that her team would lose in the tournament’s first round.
    TEAR UP – The coach was confident that his team would TEAR UP the tournament and win it all.
    (Kind of reminds me of Norfolk’s Lead Street, Is it Lead, as in “get the lead out,” or as in “Lead the way?” After 25 years I still have no idea.)

    Just before Covid 19, restaurants around these parts were starting to charge extra for paying in CASH. They saw CASH as a temptation for theft, both from robbers and from untrustworthy employees. Now many are charging credit cards fees.

    I saw Rebecca’s name without a co-constructor and was tempted to skip the puzzle, but I’m pleased that I didn’t. I thought is was a fun challenge, just right for my mediocre Friday puzzling ability. My only nit is that TAMPA Bay is on the Gulf Coast, not East Coast. Better clue: "bay area not on the West Coast." And thanks to Splynter for another fun tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking of CASH, our local MUD (municipal utility district) recently provided a pay on-line option instead of mail-in or drop through the mail slot on the door. But they tack on a $1 convenience fee if you pay on-line. Nope. It's not the $1, but I object on principle.

      Delete
    2. I don't blame you, D-O. It's also stupid on their part. Paying online puts the money directly into their bank account, while paying with a check means they hafta pay someone to handle the check. They should want everyone to pay online, directly from their bank account to the utility's bank acc't.

      Delete
  3. This was another cute theme from Rebecca. My employer dropped the SUIT AND TIE requirement thirty years ago. That's the last time I wore one. Jinx is right. Florida is on the U.S. east coast, but TAMPA Bay is on Florida's west coast. YEESH. (Hi, Jayce.) Our radio station's wire service was provided by UPI. The AP wire was written for newsprint, not to be read aloud. It all finally came down to the spelling of UIE (Uey Uee). Guess who got it wrong? I understand "sine" (opposite over hypotenuse) but don't think I've ever heard of the "Law of Sines." Bzzzzzt. Enjoyed your expo, Splynter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uie for Uey. not in my vocab for a uturn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I'm guessing that a "jughandle turn" isn't in your vocab either. Other Northeast lingo I had to learn is that "regular coffee" (which I think of as not decaf) comes with cream and sugar. Blech!

      Delete
  5. Took 10:11 today to wade through this one.

    I didn't know today's foreign language lesson, but I disagree that "tre" is Spanish. I think Spanish's 3 is "tres" and it uses "y" instead of "e" for addition. I'm sure someone else here will set us straight.

    Like the others, I've grown accustomed to spelling it "uey." "uie" looks wrong, but again, I'm sure somewhere it's a legit alternative spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun theme that I detected at LOBSTER BIB. My only real unknowns were ZELDA and SARA. Now, TAMPA is a real head scratcher. Rebecca needs to explain it.

    I loved the clues for SERENA and PAJAMAS. All in all, I really liked this CW and found it easier than most Friday fares.

    Thank you Splynter for this nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you heard that folks are trying to establish 9/25 (nine t(w)o five to recognize the contributions of Dolly Parton? I'm all for it, as long as it doesn't become yet another paid holiday for government workers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab Friday. Thanks for the fun, Rebecca and Splynter.
    I almost FIRed, but needed a Google search to get SARA and open up that SW corner. Like Splynter, I was thinking of Shakespeare and didn’t get SERENA I’m not familiar with broccoli RABE, and I had trouble parsing A TO Z. I had a CHOIR gown before ROBE.

    BUT I DID GET THE FIT (appropriate wardrobe) theme early in the solve. The clue for PAJAMAS (I spell it Pyjamas so that held me up too) was my favourite.
    This was a good reprieve after the last two days.

    I have seen Uey and UIE in CWs. I always wait for perps to decide.
    Orate changed to OPINE
    Second fav was the clue for SAIL.

    Wishing you all a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. FIR. There were way too many proper names for my liking. Even two crossing with Serena and Sara. That particular spot took a WAG to get the win.
    I enjoyed the theme and solving each answer was fun.
    But overall a so-so puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw her name I knew it would be a Friday worthy puzzle. I didn't notice the 'fit' connection because I was concentrating on filling every square correctly, which I finally did. I made it hard for myself, not noticing the clothing theme. Duh!

    My biggest struggle was getting the side-by-side OPINE & ORATE and trying to figure out which had the 'S'.

    TAMPA Bay is on the WEST Coast, if you are in FL. Or the GULF Coast.
    ZELDA and SARA- didn't know them but I knew SERENA,
    I wasn't familiar with the word 'flounce' and the perps filled WALTZ.
    OMBRE- is that a mean Mexican? I've never heard of it.
    STAY CLASSY- I always say "take the high road and let others stay in the gutter" or " don't lower yourself".

    "A second ago" and JUST- it's missing 'now' or 'then'.
    KOO earlier this week and COO today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting to add my name BEFORE my first comment. Old habits die hard and you can't easily teach this old dog new tricks.

      Delete
  11. It has been a tough week for me. Kudos to all of you that do a lot better than me and thank you for the blog write-ups each day. First, I finished Weds., but had a lot of errors.. Thursday I gave up with about 50% filled, and then I saw Rebecca's name today and knew I didn't have a chance. I struggled in the NE and SW corners. Still, I did better than expected and got about 85% done. Guess I'm done for the week and will start over on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning:

    This wasn’t all that difficult for a Friday offering, let alone a Friday Rebecca offering, but I did hit a few snags: Enemies/Nemeses, I Pass/I’m Out, Uey/Uie, all corrected by helpful perps. I found the cluing on the right side of clever vs too cutesy and my favorite was Home body=Realtor. Also liked the Opines/Orates Clecho clues. Overall, a surprisingly enjoyable solve from RG.

    Thanks, Rebecca, and thanks, Splynter, for the detailed and informative analysis. Your nuts and bolts breakdown of the puzzles features is always interesting and adds to our understanding. All set for your upcoming Cooper-sitting duties?

    Have a great day.
    I

    ReplyDelete
  13. Musings
    -Yet more rain!! Record books here we come.
    -Unlike my friend Irish, I did not find this so easy but had a nice time solving.
    -Rebecca used a lot of cluing language that FIT pretty close but took some imagination to suss.
    -My first year of teaching required me to wear and a suit and tie and not remove the jacket, no matter how hot it got in my un-airconditioned room on the west side of the building.
    -We did have horrible BAE but did not have YEETED at LET FLY
    -A horrible record set by the NATS this year
    -When the Seinfeld cast showed up for the TABLE READ for The Contest, they had no idea of the, uh, controversial topic
    -DENY seems to be the theme song for some insurance companies
    -STAY CLASSY
    -I am in Mr. Larson’s STEAD as a substitute today

    ReplyDelete
  14. Quite the workout today! When I saw the Z, X, and J, I thought it might be a Pangram.
    (A to Z clue might have triggered this thought...)
    But I'm lazy, and thought, " I'll just let Splynter tell me..."
    When Splynter did not mention it, I thought, "what the heck is missing?"

    After going thru every letter in the puzzle, I found there is no "G" or "'K", very unusual...
    (There is also no "Q." Why the heck I didn't look for Q first i don't know...)

    All this fashion reminded me of how ridiculous some of the clothes look on those fashion show catwalks. until I saw this...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the review, Splynter, and especially for the Space Balls clip. That film had several lines that are often quoted by yours truly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Almost packed it in. The SW corner was a road block till I finally figured out CHOIRROBE and CLINICS for the win. Interesting theme. The PAJAMAS reveal was kind of out there as well as the REALTOR clue “home body”

    Shirt AND TIE wouldn’t fit. Liked the TABLE READS clue which gave me DUCTS not vENTS

    “uno Y uno” is Spanish e is Italian for “and”. In strictly proper Italian it should be “Uno ed uno” since “uno” starts with a vowel.

    Inkovers: raab/RABB, enemies/NEMESES, nines/SINES, (hated trig)

    Will smith slapped Chris Rock across the face and for this performance and “King Richard “ he won an Oscar

    BAE, UIE, YEESH 😝

    “I reckon that cowboy is one baaaad “____ OMBRÉ
    Relating to Sheriff Taylor’s son: _____ OPINE
    Was doing poorly in trigonometry. If only I’d seen the ____ SINES.

    After 46 years officially retired today. Was considering it for a while, but the MVA injuries and frequent surgical appointments convinced me. Sometimes things happen for a reason. 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your retirement.

      Delete
    2. Congrats on retiring, Ray-O! I made the move about four years ago, at age 71, and am lovin’ it!

      ====> Darren

      Delete
  17. A clever and straightforward offering from Rebecca today. A nice surprise.

    I F.I.R. but my wite-out was working overtime again. It’s been a few days since I’ve managed to complete a puzzle without erasures.

    I liked the “reasons to look ones best/ eye test” and “ home body/ realtor”

    So many variations of yuey/uie/uye but I guess a little poetic license is acceptable.

    Thanks Splynter. Always look forward to your recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  18. FIR in 16. Last cell to fill was the "S" where Serena and Sara cross. Both DNK names, but the "S" seemed to make sense. Overall, 14 names, DNK 4.

    Also DNK "OMBRE".

    As several mentioned, I, living in SOFLO, do not think of Tampa Bay as being on the East coast of the USA. That's because it is NOT on the East coast of the USA, which runs from Key West to Maine. Tampa Bay is not there.

    BAE= still have ONLY seen it in CWs, never heard anyone actually say it.

    LOONS = CSO the C-Eh!

    Could not remember what "onomatopoeia" means. Needed perps.

    I got the theme early, but it didn't help much. Favorite clue: 10D.

    Thanx for the fun, RG. I found this CW, although not easy, easier than yesterday.

    Thanx for the terrific write-up, Splynter. I must be denser than usual today because I don't get the cartoon with the bibs. Are those supposed to be lobsters sitting at the table? Lobsters don't have segmented bodies. Thanx for the funny sign link, well worth a look. You commented about the use of the word "sail" as a verb. I cannot imagine why they say things like, "The aircraft carrier sailed out of San Diego yesterday". No, it definitely did not SAIL. It STEAMED out of San Diego. Aircraft carriers have never "sailed". Same applies to most other ships. Sheesh! (Not "Yeesh").

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BAE= still have ONLY seen it in CWs, never heard anyone actually say it.

      I hadn't either, UNTIL my granddaughter moved into a house that was about 50 yds. away from a bakery named "Bae's Bakery" in Gretna, LA.

      Delete
    2. The dictionary definition of the verb sail is broad, it means: To travel by water in a vessel.

      Delete
  19. You can drive a team of oxen but you can’t really drive a car.

    ReplyDelete
  20. No comments on the brid…but if youre working a Stair-master, try setting the angle to 3° before increasing the pace, if you havent already done so.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I liked this puzzle. It had just the right amount of difficulty and easiness to match my level of solving skill. And frankly I very much enjoyed the "Fit" theme. Some good fill.
    (I think I became known for uttering "Sheesh!" not "Yeesh" but either way is okay by me, even though "Yeesh" makes my nose wrinkle. [As does "bae", big time!])
    Yes, Splynter, I saw what you did there :)
    Good reading all your comments.

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.