google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, September 9, 2026 Rena Cohen

Gary's Blog Map

Sep 9, 2026

Wednesday, September 9, 2026 Rena Cohen

 

Theme: Soccer positions.

I tried out for Soccer once,
They gave me this T-Shirt...

20 Across. Soccer player who shares every little detail online?: PUBLIC DEFENDER.

A defender is an outfield player whose main job is to stop the other team from scoring goals. 
Types of Defenders
Center-backs (CB): Play in the middle of the defense right in front of the goal. They win high balls and block shots. 
Full-backs (LB/RB): Play on the left and right sides of the backline. They stop opposing wingers and run up the sidelines to help on offense
Wing-backs (LWB/RWB): An aggressive type of full-back. They focus heavily on running up and down the field to support attacks
Sweepers (SW): A rare, deeper defender who plays behind the main defensive line to clean up loose balls. 
Key Skill
Tackling: Winning the ball cleanly from opponents
Positioning: Standing in the right place to block passing lanes
Aerial ability: Heading away crosses and long balls
Communication: Organizing the backline and talking with teammates.

38 Across. Soccer player from a Florida archipelago?: KEEPER OF THE KEYS.

A keeper (short for goalkeeper) is the designated player on a soccer team whose primary job is to stop the opposing team from scoring by preventing the ball from crossing the goal line.
Key Responsibilities and Rule
Handball Privilege: The keeper is the only player on the field allowed to use their hands and arms, but they can only do this inside their own designated penalty area.
Last Line of Defense: They act as the final barrier against shots and direct the outfield defenders during plays and set pieces.
Distinct Uniform: To easily tell them apart from everyone else, the keeper must wear a jersey color that is different from both teams and the referee.
Starting Attacks: Beyond stopping goals, modern keepers often use kicks or throws to launch fast counter-attacks for their team.
51 Across. Soccer player who doesn't pull their weight?: CARRIED FORWARD.


A forward in soccer is an outfield player who plays closest to the opposing teams's goal with the primary job of scoring and creating goals.
Main Roles of a Forward
Center Forward / Striker: Plays through the middle as the main goalscorer and focal point of the attack.
Winger / Wide Forward: Plays on the left or right side to stretch the defense, dribble past defenders, and cross the ball into the penalty box
Second Striker: Plays just behind the main center forward to link the midfield and attack
False Nine: A forward who drops backward into the midfield to pull defenders out of position and create open space for teammates. 
Core Responsibilities
Finishing: Shooting and heading the ball into the net to score goals
Creating Space: Making smart runs off the ball to open passing lanes for teammates
Holding the Ball: Using physical strength to keep possession under pressure from defenders until help arrives
Pressing: Applying early pressure on opposing defenders when the other team has the ball.
Onward! To the coin toss, and kickoff!

Across:
1. Insensitive: CRASS.

6. Not out: SAFE.

10. Apple variety: GALA.

14. __ Productions: media company founded by Oprah: HARPO. (Oprah backwards.)

15. West Coast sch. that joined the Big Ten in 2024: UCLA.

16. Team with a lot of pull?: OXEN.

17. All over: AGAIN.

18. Birds whose oil is used in Aboriginal medicine: EMUS.

19. Super Serum seller: OLAY. (Note: Olay does not sell Emu Oil...)

20. [Theme.]

23. __-di-dah: LAH.

24. Blubber: FLABEmu oil is made by harvesting, melting, and refining the thick layer of fat found on the back of an Emu.

25. Accident report?: OOPS. 😬 

28. "What a gimme!": EASY.

31. Mail: POST.

34. King topper in a game of war: ACE.

35. Singer Halliwell: GERI.
Also known as Ginger Spice...

36. Leave in a fit?: CLOTHE. (To make sense, you must read this 3 times...)

38. [Theme.]

41. Like steak, but not cake: SAVORY.

42. Reasons to go to extra innings: TIES.

43. Jazz (up): AMP.

44. Rookie gamer: NEWB. Also Newbie, or Noob...

45. Speck on a map: ISLE

46. Sign: OMEN.

47. Long fish: EELS.

49. "Truthfully" initials: TBH. (To Be Honest.)

51. [Theme.]

58. Lean: THIN.

59. Within reach: NEAR.

60. Eaglet home: AERIE.

61. Avant-garde style: DADAExamples can be found here...

62. Small bird of prey: KITEAgain, examples can be found here...

63. "You almost guessed it!": CLOSENo examples here,  because you missed it...

64. Staircase part: STEP.

65. "Now!": STAT.

66. Respected leader: ELDER

Down:
1. Fella: CHAP.

2. Robusto! sauce brand: RAGU.

3. Many an Eid celebrant: ARABMore info here...

4. Lets the cat out of the bag: SPILLS

5. Ketanji colleague: SONIA
Clue/answer refers to these guys.
Since there is no politics on the Blog,
I will not be naming them...

6. Sought compensation: SUED. (See below:)

7. Height: ACME
A scene from Coyote Vs Acme.

8. Nickname for comedian Gabriel Iglesias: FLUFFY

9. Stand for artistic freedom?: EASEL. 😀

10. Bible: GOOD BOOK.

11. Wheel spinner: AXLE.

12. Father of Goneril, Regan, and Cordelia: LEAR. William Shakespeare wrote the tragedy King Lear. 
Quick Facts:
Written: Between 1605 and 1606
First Performance: December 1606
Plot: An aging king divides his kingdom among his daughters, leading to tragic consequences and madness.

13. Flexible amount: ANY.

21. Joyful: CHEERY.

22. Italy's third-largest city: NAPLES.

25. National trees of the United States: OAKS.

26. Place where people cruise through life?: OCEAN.😏

27. Get to: PEEVE.

29. Preferring platonic relationships, for short: AROAro is short for aromantic, which describes a person who experiences little or no romantic attraction to others.

30. Searches (through): SIFTS.

32. Iron output: STEAM.

33. Herb in jerk seasoning: THYME


35. Company with an annual search for a spokesbaby: GERBER.

36. Flamin' Hot puff: CHEETO
People are serious about their Cheetos...

37. "College GameDay" network: ESPN.

39. Short time out: POWER NAP.

40. From dawn __ dusk: TIL.

45. Finder's cry: I SEE IT
Finders cry: Mine!

46. "Such is life": OH WELL

48. Spot for a tee party?: LINKS. ❤️

50. Knee protector: BRACE.

51. Small talk: CHAT.

52. Deputy: AIDE.

53. Spreadsheet input: DATA.

54. Guitar ridge: FRET. My 50 year old guitar is getting worn grooves in its frets.
(I fret about my frets...)

55. Yankee nickname of the 2000s: AROD.

56. "__ and shine!": RISE.

57. Lots of bucks: DEER


58. Some 37-Down highlights: Abbr.: TDS. (Touchdowns.)

The Grid.
7 three letter words, 6 people names, and only one abbreviated school name. Not bad!

Describing this lovely Constructor...

Sorry for the deep dive into splainin' Soccer positions, but I know little about the game and had to do much research to do this write up, and, you know I hate to suffer alone...

CE:D out...
≽^• ˕ • ྀི≼

28 comments:

  1. I have very little knowledge about soccer, so I didn’t pick up the unifying theme at all. And certain clues were
    tricky, such as “.leave in a fit” but I got them, eventually.
    FIR, so I’m happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!

    Today was a perfect day to ignore the theme and let the perps unveil a common expression. Done. DW likes to watch soccer matches. I find them excruciating -- worse than American football (which I also don't watch). Thanx, Rena. Nice expo, CE:D, even though you went overboard on the soccer lingo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TIL that you can spell NOOB as NEWB.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It filled easily until I reached the SW and was stuck for a while. TBH (I've never seen that abbr. except in a crossword), I almost threw in the towel. I changed NOOB to NEWB and It took an alphabet run to get PEEVE, a word that I've only heard with 'pet'. FLUFFY was the only other unknown today.

    CED- you know more about soccer than me, which is zero.

    A pair of Mississippi KITEs would nest in an oak tree in my yard until hurricane ZETA and termites toppled the tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting to get the first step right.

      Delete
  5. FIR, but had to fix six wayward entries, which is a lot for a Wednesday puzzle.

    HOF catcher Johnny Bench used to hawk Blue EMU cream. I suspect that he raised the birds in his native Oklahoma, or at least had investments in the industry.

    It's nearing the end of 2026. I think we can refer to any member of the Spice Girls as "Old Spice."

    My response to ARO is TMI. I don't give a rat's patooie who you are (or are not) attracted to. (Except Sydney Sweeney.)

    I know more about cosmetics than I know about soccer, except that in soccer if a player needs a short time out and can't POWER NAP, (s)he falls down in feigned agony and waits for a trainer to apply a little ointment. Then (s)he pops back up, all rested and as good as new.

    Thanks to Rena for the humpday challenge, and to CED for another fun review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday was Windows patch day, so I'm no longer blue.

      Delete
  6. I forgot until just now. A few days ago, some Cornerites opined that tug boats aren't ocean-going vessels. I was down on the farm that day, and internet is spotty to be generous. I wanted to point out that there ARE ocean-going tugs, including one that moved the USS Cole from Yemen to the (crossword favorite) Gulf of Aden following the terrorist bombing in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. But the clue was "Place for tugs," not ocean-going tugs. If
      there was a clue "Place for a Cessna," LOS ANGELES INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT would not be a particularly appropriate answer.

      Delete
    2. I'll have to remember not to land my Citation at LAX.

      Delete
  7. FIR. I have very little knowledge about soccer, or interest for that matter, so the theme was difficult for me.
    But I was cruising along without trouble until I got to the SW. I threw down noob before newb, so that area had me perplexed. All was well once "power nap" arrived.
    Overall an OK puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning:

    I know nothing about soccer so this theme wasn’t my cup of tee. I also found some of the cluing way too cutesy for my taste and I have no idea about the clue for Clothe.

    Thanks, CED, for the review, although I skipped over the soccer terminology. Loved the (Th)In/(St)Out trays comic.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee should be Tea, of course. Autocorrect or typo? No idea. Sorry.

      Delete
    2. Or you were thinking of 48D “tee party”.

      Delete
  9. I’m afraid I too know nothing about soccer, or other team sports, so I filled the theme answers without understanding them.

    I agree with Irish Miss☘️, some of the clues were too cutesy for my taste, so, TBH, I found this CW a little irritating. And then I’ve never heard of this fella FLUFFY.

    I liked the clues for GERBER, LINKS, and OOPS. And the clue for EMUS was fresh.

    Thank you CED. Now that you put it this way, I’ll forgive you the soccer glut of info. 😜

    ReplyDelete
  10. Come to think of it, the only reason I came up with CLOTHE was due to helpful nearby perps, not because I knew the clue, "Leave in a fit?". Could someone explain that clue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took it at face value -- the person was fit for a new set of clothes...and then left.

      Delete
    2. I think it’s more like a tailor leaves a customer in a “fit” of new CLOTHEs

      Delete
    3. In today's slang "fit" is short for an outfit

      Delete
    4. Thanks Inanehiker. That makes more sense. We ELDERs don’t know today’s slang.

      Delete
  11. Seems like everyone that has posted on the blog did better than me. I did not finish, as I left the NW pretty much blank. I did not like the clues and for me, it was more like a Friday or Saturday puzzle. .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Musings
    -This puzzle was infinitely more interesting than any soccer game I’ve ever seen. An attempt to watch such a game results in a POWER NAP for me and then I leave the room in a fit.
    -The only soccer game I’ve ever watched to the end involved my then 10-year-old grandson.
    -Apple variety was not an iPad, iPod or iMac.
    -Hercule Poirot often asked Miss Lemon to POST some letters. We mail them on this side of the pond.
    -This ball has the DATA for a college FB game that had 7 TIES in overtime. I watched the entire game.
    -NAPLES is Italy’s third largest city. Napoli è la terza città più grande d'Italia.
    -Was Barney Fife the most entertaining deputy in TV history?
    -TMI on the soccer terms Dave, but I enjoyed your write-up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, TMI on terms. Should have concentrated on injury theatrics...
      When I researched, I found I had no idea about all these "positions." So I assumed others would be equally in the dark.

      and the Oscar goes to... (4:42)

      Delete
    2. We go to the POST Office to MAIL things, or we used to.

      Clueless deputy? Barney Fife has competition.
      How about ENOS from the Dukes of Hazzard, or
      Jackie Gleason's son in "Smokey and The Bandit'. or
      Festus Haggen (but not Chester) in Gunsmoke

      Delete
  13. Rena’s offering is a lil bit late for the FIFA tournament but was challenging for a Wednesday.

    First off …. Thank you CE:D for the detailed info about soccer. So much work went into your recap.

    I thought the puzzle had a few clever twists…
    “Spot for a tee party”

    Puzzle answers APO and TBH are just nose wrinklers.

    I keep forgetting HARPO as Oprahs production company but perps helped.

    Thanks again CE:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Addendum
    Yesterday, Ed from Ohio, wrote to say he reads our blog almost every day and would like to be included on our map. I just put Ed on our map and if you would like to see our map, just go to the link at the top of the page and click on

    Gary's Blog Map:

    https://crosswordcorner.blogspot.com/2020/07/2020-l-times-crossword-corner-map.html

    I would be glad to include any other names on the map who would like that done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hola! I have to say this was one of my worst outcomes in solving puzzles. First, my mind was not entirely on it since I have a problem with a tree limb that landed on my roof and I'm waiting for someone to remove it. Second, some of the clues were really obscure. I might need a POWER NAP! Also, I had NOOB and could not finish that section. Of course not! Thank you, C:ED for your detailed explanation and you can certainly be forgiven for any mishaps, which I don't see. Count me as one who has no interest in soccer and know nothing about it. Have a great day, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Took 5:10 today to go full time.

    Seemed themeless, but too cutesy. I knew "Fluffy," but that it was obscure.

    "fit" is now used for "outfit". So, if you clothes someone, you leave them in an outfit (or fit).

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.