google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, October 7, 2026 - Robin Stears

Gary's Blog Map

▼

Oct 7, 2026

Wednesday, October 7, 2026 - Robin Stears

 

Theme:  DAMAGE CONTROL (clued as: Jeopardize Maxwell Smart's organization?)

 

 

Puzzling thoughts:

My good friend and former crossword constructor mentor, Robin Stears, came up with a silly, yet clever way of cluing a quartet of non-related entries; non-related in their meaning but strangely related in their context 

When closely examining each of the four entries you find that not just the answer contains a synonym for the word "DAMAGE" but so does the clue:

17. Ruin the Olympic Games?: SPOIL SPORTS.

27. Destroy casual chitchat?: TRASH TALKING.

46. Wreak havoc on origami supplies?: BUTCHER PAPER. 

60. Lay waste to a dairy product?: CREAM CHEESE. 

To comment any further (on my part) about each of the entries would just be a disservice - you all should be able to figure out Robin's tomfoolery ðŸ˜œ

However ... if I were to nitpick just a little ... the second entry uses a present participle form of the verb "TALK" as opposed to the other three entries which use a noun to support the "theme".  Could Robin have used the word TALKERS instead and maintained the symmetry?  🤷 After checking that part of the grid, the answer is, "yes".  She could change IS SO to ESSO; NAIL to RAIL; and GYRE (not one of my favorite words today) to SYNE (as in Auld Lang); and SIR to SIN.  There! Done!! 😉

(maybe I should apply to one of the publishers as an assistant editor ...??) 

Anyhow, I am happy to provide a recap because honestly, this puzzle scored very high for me.  ⭐⭐⭐⭐ and 1/2⭐!  Congrat's Ms. Stears for a well-done job

 

Here's the grid and then off to the rest of the puzzle!

(Note:  You can see my final entry letter filled in; the red highlight of the letter Y in GYRE ...)  

Across:
1. Built (on): BASED.  As opposed to Spread (on): BASTE

6. Many an A-lister: ACTOR. Somewhat of a clecho to (65-across. A-list): ELITE.

11. Swing's path: ARC.  Moe-ku:

        Paris sports car buff
        Drove his TR-6 under
        The ARC de Triumph [sic]
 
14. Cartoon canine who speaks with an "R" consonant mutation: ASTRO.  George and Judy Jetson's pet dog (surprise ending)
 
 

15. Level: PLANE.  

Leveling Tool Cartoons and Comics - funny pictures from CartoonStock

16. "Argo" org.: CIA.

[theme entry]

19. Every last bit: ALL.

20. Tammy Duckworth's title, briefly: SEN.

Image of Tammy Duckworth | Biography, Political Party, & Facts | Britannica

21. Merry-go-round music: LILT.  This "rendition" is hardly a "LILT" - and doesn't feature any horses going up and down - I am sure that some of our younger Cornerites who might be Mötley Crüe fans can shed some light on this.  Or not




22. Bas-__: RELIEF.  The word "Bas-" is pronounced "bah" (as in Bah, humbug!) but its meaning is oddly similar (to what those who would mispronounce it) to what's seen in this video!
 




24. Like many dirt roads: ONE LANE.  May I see a hand up for anyone else - like me - who tried UNPAVED first?

26. Home of Hawaii's Merrie Monarch Festival: HILO.  All you need to know about this annual event

[theme entry]

32. Tennis great Andre: AGASSI.  He and his wife (former tennis great Steffi Graf) will celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks

[per Wikipedia] - Agassi's record as a tennis player includes: 

Career Milestones
  • Career Grand Slam: He is one of a select group of men to win all four major singles tournaments.
  • Career Golden Slam: He won the Career Grand Slam plus an Olympic gold medal (1996 Atlanta Olympics).
  • Finals Record: 8 wins and 7 losses in Grand Slam finals (53.3% win rate) 

35. Georgia airport code: ATL.  Technically, it's the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport

36. "If you ask me ... ": I SAY. Pip, pip and cheerio!

37. Massage: RUB.  Moe-ku:
 
        A massage client
        Refused to leave tip when they
        Were RUBbed the wrong way  

38. Super vision?: ESP.  How did I know that this would be the answer?? Must be psychic

39. Polite title: SIR.  MA'AM was too long to fit

40. A in geometry: AREA.  At first I tried SIDE (as in the sides of a right triangle, e.g.) thinking it was referring to Area = ab/2.  But a capital "A" does mean AREA

42. French wine classification: CRU.  CRU wine refers to a legally defined vineyard, group of vineyards, or village officially recognized for producing wine of superior quality based on its unique terroir (soil, climate, and topography) - Oh, and a Moe-ku:
 
        Heavy-metal band
        Owns a Napa winery
        Called "The Motley CRU" 
         

43. Annette of "Virgin River": O'TOOLE.  A bit of information about her 

Portrait photo of Annette O'Toole

[theme entry]

49. Forever and ever: EONS.

50. Repeat for emphasis: ITERATE.

54. "Who __!": DOESN'T.  "Love pizza!!"

57. Burlesque bit: SKIT. One of my all-time favorites!
 




58. Light touch: TAP. Second clecho du jour, with (66-across. Light touch): PAT.

59. Sometimes called, for short: AKA.  I am sometimes called MOE but don't call me short!! 😀

[theme entry]

63. Virginia Woolf's "__ Dalloway": MRS.  This is a 1925 modernist novel that chronicles a single day in the life of Clarissa Dalloway, an upper-class London hostess preparing for an evening party

64. "__ mañana": HASTA. "Until tomorrow"

67. Elizabeth who plays the Scarlet Witch: OLSEN.

Elizabeth Olsen Scarlet Witch (26) by CatNadian on DeviantArt
For my buddy, Splynter (IYKYK)


68. Trig ratios: SINES.  Geometry AND trigonometry in the same puzzle!  Robin, were you by any chance into mathematics as a high schooler?

Down:
1. Common voice for an opera villain: BASSO.  Nothing villainous about this Christmas carol rendition by one BASSO who is singing all 5 parts

 


 

2. Colorado town near Snowmass: ASPEN.  One of our regular Cornerites (MalMan) is staying in a condo, very close to ASPEN, as we speak (the view he gets to see is pictured below)

12 Reasons Crested Butte Is Colorado's Coolest Mountain Town

3. Curling piece: STONE.  Actually, BROOM fits, too

 




4. "__ tu": Verdi aria: ERI.  A snippet

 




5. Brunei money: DOLLARS. [per Wikipedia] "The Brunei dollar, is the currency of Brunei Darussalam since 1967. It is normally abbreviated with the dollar sign $, or alternatively B$ to distinguish it from other dollar-denominated currencies. The currency is divided into 100 cents and is issued by the Brunei Darussalam Central Bank"

6. Orchard fruit: APPLES.  PEARS, PEACHES, PLUMS, APRICOTS are also orchard fruits; they unfortunately won't fit into this "bushel basket"  

7. Congeal: CLOT.  Here is a link to a recipe for CLOTted cream

8. Viscous goo: TAR.

9. Having one's day in court?: ON TRIAL.  You don't like this clue and answer?  Then sue me!

10. Deal in, as vintage clothing: RESELL.  Clothing items such as these are found at places like Goodwill and Salvation Army stores, as well as on Etsy

11. Breakfast bowl berry: ACAI.  BLUE was my first thought - that's what Ms Margaret and I have in our morning breakfast bowl

12. Annoy but good: RILE.

13. Baby camel: CALF.  A few fun facts about camels

18. Africa-to-Asia land bridge: SINAI.



23. Trickster in Norse mythology: LOKI.

25. Jr. officers: LTS.  Abbr. for Lieutenants 

26. URL starter: HTTP.

28. Invites to one's apartment, say: HAS UP.  ASK UP fits, too, and is probably the more recognized phrase

29. Childish comeback: IS SO.  This was the area of the puzzle that had me flummoxed for the longest time.  I could have bet money that this was AM SO but then again, it's been a long time since I have been a child ... 

30. Get just right: NAIL.  I did "nail" this one but it looked odd next to AM SO

31. Giant oceanic surface current: GYRE.  Total swing and a miss - I want to say that I had to Google this to finish solving the puzzle

32. Part of UAE: ARAB.

33. Hindu mentor: GURU.

34. Lie for, say: ABET.

38. Goes astray: ERRS.

41. Las Vegas WNBA team: ACES.  Fun Fact:  Former NFL QB Tom Brady is a part owner

42. Primary: CENTRAL.

43. __ nerve: OPTIC.

44. Shows signs of growth?: TEETHES.  Clever enough clue - core definition of TEETHE is: The process of baby teeth pushing through and emerging from the gums.  This occurs, generally, as a baby reaches 6 months of age

45. Hockey Hall of Famer Bobby: ORR.

47. Top dog: HONCHO. Moe-ku:
 
        An alpha male dog
        Sported a slicker. It's called
        A HONCHO poncho  

48. Three-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Troy: AIKMAN.

troy aikman (@troyaikman) • Instagram photos and videos

51. Saved on supper, perhaps: ATE IN.  With today's higher grocery prices, it doesn't always "feel" like we are saving anything when we dine; IN or out.  Remember these days?

Grocery Prices from the 1960s

52. Sample size?: TASTE.  This term (TASTE) doesn't always mean something that is consumed orally.  Our summer vacation this year was a guided tour called TASTE of Portugal; and it was just that.  We stayed in one hotel for 7 nights and took short bus hops to several touristy areas.  It gave us a good TASTE of the country - we stayed another week, though, as we wanted more than just a "sample"

53. Stage combat props: EPEES.  Huh!  First time I think I've seen THIS clue used for the fencing sword.  "Curses, foiled again!"

54. Not quite dry: DAMP. A rare sighting here in Arizona - although our Monsoon this year provided us with more rain than I recall in the seven years I've lived here

55. Sticky pod: OKRA.  My favorite way to prepare it - and always one of the side dishes I order when eating at a Cracker Barrel

Southern Fried Okra

56. From Perth to Sydney: EAST.  Geography lesson.  Perth sits on the far western coast of Australia on the Indian Ocean whilst Sydney is on the east coast (Pacific Ocean).  Visiting Perth is on Moe and Ms. Margaret's bucket list of places, as there is a wine region to the south of Perth that lies along the Margaret River!  Few folks know of how wonderful these wines are.  Here is a link

57. Make full: SATE. Do you feel SATEd from solving today's puzzle and reading Moe's blog?  Hope so

61. Curvy letter: ESS.

62. Yale grad: ELI. 

For those keeping "score":  I think ELI was the 18th 3-letter word used in today's puzzle; I counted just 7 abbr's; and 4 proper names - I know that this statistic has to please many of our solvers!  Please stop by and say "Hi!" Robin

15 comments:

  1. Hmm…I would expect a
    Wednesday puzzle to be slightly more challenging, but no matter. It was still fun.
    FIR, so I’m happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!

    Zipped through this one unimpeded. The Wite-Out got a rest. Cute theme. Thanx, Robin and C-Moe. (It couldn't have been UNPAVED -- "many" would have been "all." We used to have a local Food Fair. We called it the Food's Fair.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIR but had to pause a few times, walk away, and come back. Not sure why it is, but I have more trouble with Wednesday puzzles than any other day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIR, but imho_>I SAY, am so->IS SO, and acia->ACAI (I blame decaf.)

    I always thought HASTA meant "see you," as in HASTA luego, "see you later."

    I think AIKMAN is the best retired NFL player for doing play-by-play on TV.

    I knew ERes tu, but not ERI tu.

    Thanks to Robin for the fun humpday puzzle, and to our Chairman for another interesting review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HASTA means until. So until we see each other again.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. That makes sense.

      Delete
  5. FIR. For the most part this was an easy Wednesday offering. I was zipping through it until I got to the right side. I had gyre (?) and just stared at it thinking there had to be something wrong. After second guessing myself for a bit I finally went with it and got the win. The best part of today's presentation however was the very clever theme.
    Overall an enjoyable puzzle.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi to all - just got back from a fun and interesting 2 week trip to the southern part of Eastern Europe, not much time or WIFI access to do the puzzle while we were gone.
    And now adjusting to a 7-8 hour time difference.

    Amusing theme- and Robin is an experienced constructor - CM- when TALK adds the -ING - it becomes a gerund and thus a noun like all the other theme answers!

    Elizabeth OLSEN is a wonderful actress - I enjoyed seeing her last year in "Eternity".
    Much more attractive IRL than the AI generated caricature
    https://fandomwire.com/elizabeth-olsen-returning-to-mcu-rumored-scarlet-witch-movie-gets-the-update-weve-all-been-waiting-for/

    Thanks CM for the blog and Robin for the puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was an easy CW with a fun theme. Just a few names I didn’t know like ASTRO, as clued, AIKMAN, OLSEN, and OTOOLE, WAGged that one. Gel__>TAR, which allowed me to get PLANE.

    MRS Dalloway is a near perfect novel.

    Thank you C-Moe for the neat review. I like the HONCHO poncho Moe-ku.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FIR in 13. My usual Wednesday time is 15, so this CW went well. By my count 17 names, DNK 5. What I call names: 14, 16, 26, 32, 35, 43, 63, 67 Across; 2, 4, 18, 23, 32, 41, 45, 48, 62 Down. I count all names (brand names, place names) as names, not just proper names.

    IS TOO is far more common than IS SO, but...

    36A I had to wait on perps: IMHO/ISAY.

    Interesting to have camels as part of the CW on Wednesday, AKA hump day. The link C.Moe provided to the company selling camel milk provided interesting info. I wonder how long my brain will remember the names for one-hump and two-hump camels?

    Overall a fun and Wednesday appropriate CW, thanx RS.

    Thanx too to C.Moe for the always interesting, informative and fun write-up. The end of the Astro toon was frustrating, though. And wherever did you find that old newspaper with those prices? What year would that have been?

    I went to see a second doctor yesterday about my cold/flu which has progressed to bacterial pneumonia. This doc finally recognized that fact and Rx two antibiotics and a Medrol dose-pack (steroid). She said if I'm not better in a few days I should check into a hospital. Oy. But the antibiotics seem to be helping. My usual doc was "completely booked up into next week. Can you come....let's see....next Tuesday?" I told her I would be dead by next Tuesday. So I found an out-of-network doc that would see me immediately. I've had medical treatment in Brazil, Portugal and Spain, as well, of course, as the USA. USA is HANDS DOWN the worst. In Brazil, for instance, I managed to give myself a severe 3" gash on my left shin, went to an ER, where the ER physician immediately (not an hour later) took me into a room, cleaned, sewed up and bandaged my leg. He then gave me his cell number and said if there are any problems I should call him, he'd come to me and have a look at it. Cost of that hospital visit and treatment? $28. That was in 2008, it might be a bit higher now, but not $450. (End of rant).

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Upon dredging my memory a bit, that cost was $58, not $28. And the $450 yesterday was NOT an ER visit, like in Brazil. Had I gone to the ER yesterday, I'm sure the charge would have exceeded $1,000.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning:

    I thought the theme was clever and well-executed, with Spoil Sports being my favorite themer. I had trouble in the Is So, Nail, Gyre area because I had Am So and IMHO, for I Say and Gyre, being a complete unknown, never materialized. I wasn’t fond of some of the cluing, e.g., the clues for Teethes and Taste.

    Thanks, Robin, and thanks, Moe, for the detailed explanation and commentary and the always welcome and appreciated fun Moe-kus.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Above is me. Google is up to its old tricks again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought it was tough for a Wednesday. It didn't help that I put Hilo as 26 down, instead of 26 across. After a lot of white out, I did finish it right, even getting gyre.

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.