20A. 113-gram sandwich, more or less : QUARTER POUNDER
24A. About 1.8 meters deep : SIX FEET UNDER
46A. 37.9-liter topper, roughly : TEN-GALLON HAT
54A. Proceed another 1.6 kilometers or so : GO THE EXTRA MILE
C.C. here. Argyle is sick. I'm going to just put the skeletal entries here. Will fill in more later.
Looks like this is a debut from Rich Proulx. Congratulations! He gave us 72-worder today. It's in the themeless territory.
1. Kind of guitar : BASS
5. Foul-smelling : FETID. This word looks dirty too.
10. Bouillabaisse, e.g. : STEW
14. Where the Jazz play : UTAH
15. Dodge : EVADE
16. Weighty book : TOME
17A. Signed up, as to vote : REGISTERED. We also have 60A: Double-checked before cutting: REMEASURED. Often constructors avoid long Across entries for fear solvers will think they're themers, but today the clues make the theme clear.
19. Military group : UNIT. Tiny clue/answer dupe: 35. Mall unit : STORE. Did you go to the Fashion Show Mall last week, Big Easy?
22. Sleeping woe : APNEA
23. Like Oberlin College since it opened in 1833 : CO-ED
31. Watch pocket : FOB
34. Approaches : NEARS
36. Word after New or teen : AGER
38. Hidden drug supply : STASH
40. Big gulp : SWIG
41. Insurance case : CLAIM
43. TV ex-military group led by Hannibal Smith : A TEAM. Only know Mr. T was in it.
45. Mario Bros. console : NES
49. Fatty liver spread : PATE. Have some!
50. Hybrid pack animals : MULES
59. Christmas tree topper's topper : HALO
61. Congregation's "I agree!" : AMEN
62. Geometry calculations : AREAS
63. Track assignment : LANE
64. Arnaz with two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame : DESI. I just learned that Gene Autry had five stars.
65. Toy truck brand : TONKA
66. Old Russian leader : TSAR
1. Traditional Islamic garment : BURQA
2. Thoroughly delighted in : ATE UP. Nope, Picard, I did nothing special for Chinese Spring Festival. I did treat myself with a bag of Chinese dumplings. As for places in China, I suggest Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Xi'an (my hometown), Hangzhou and Tibet.
3. Cosmologist Carl : SAGAN
4. Counties across the pond : SHIRES
5. Lavish party : FETE
6. At any time : EVER
7. Firewood protector : TARP Also 18. Wood finish : STAIN
8. Logical beginning? : IDEO. Ideological.
9. Subtract : DEDUCT
10. They often have class : STUDENTS
11. Softened, as rhetoric : TONED DOWN
12. Kuwaiti leader : EMIR
13. Rainy : WET
21. We, to one who says "oui" : NOUS. Just French "we".
25. Ballot markings : Xes
26. Deadly : FATAL
27. Muse for Shelley : ERATO
28. German industrial city : ESSEN
29. Cleveland's lake : ERIE. How long have you been with Amazon, Abejo?
30. Govt. agency rules : REGS
31. Something known to be true : FACT
32. Eye rudely : OGLE. Also 47. Eye rudely : LEER AT
33. Tall, skinny sorts : BEANPOLES. Great fill.
37. Tubular pasta : RIGATONI
39. "So there!" : HAH
42. Course with squares and cubes : MATH
44. What babies create, and vice versa? : MAMAS. I got via crosses.
48. Ruckus : TUMULT
51. Turkish coins : LIRAS
52. Kagan of the Supreme Court : ELENA
53. Meal where the 10 Plagues of Egypt are recalled : SEDER
54. Mario Bros., for one : GAME
55. Architect Saarinen : EERO
56. Magneto's enemies : X-MEN
57. Hardwood prized for outdoor furniture : TEAK
58. Tabula __ : RASA
59. Owned : HAD
Updated at 11:15am:
Santa was admitted into the Saratoga hospital last night. His friend Jennifer said he was dangerously sick yesterday. He'll be in the hospital for a few days.
Please send him your positive thoughts. Keep him in your prayers.
Thank you! Get well soon, Santa!
|Argyle our Santa|