google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, October 4th, 2026 ~ Zhouqin Burnikel

Advertisements

Oct 4, 2026

Sunday, October 4th, 2026 ~ Zhouqin Burnikel

RANGE OF MOTION

Good morning Cornerites. You got the Big Dash T here coming to you on the Corner's frequency.
Do you copy? Over.

Now y'all respond with "That's a big 10-4 good buddy" and we'll kick off National CB Radio Day just right.

Hi Y'all!
Today we get another beauty from our fearless hostess, C.C.. And this one's a doozy of a thinker - I'm not even sure how she came up with the concept. I'm going to start with the reveal just so the themers make a bit more sense:

106 Down. Wyoming range, or when read as three parts, how the answers to the starred clues were formed?: TETONS.

If you solved this puzzle with no idea of the goings on, consider parsing 106d as "TE" TO "NS" (TE -> NS).

It's really just a two letter substitution puzzle in common phrases turning them whimsical but, it's so cleverly done, I didn't notice until after a brief study post solve.

Let's review the themers:

22. *Motto of a calligraphy enthusiast?: FOR THE LOVE OF PENS. "[Oh,] For the love of PETE" is the common phrase.

34. *Transgressions included in textbooks?: HISTORIC SINS. Many texts omit the SINS of the winners 'cuz the winners write the history. Proper tellings include those SITEs' sins.

52. *Devoted followers of painter O'Keeffe?: GEORGIA STANS. Georgia STATE is a .edu but super-fans (STANS) of Georgia O'Keeffe enjoy her suggestive(?) flowers.
 
Flower Abstraction, 1924

71. *Timepiece worn by a "Star Wars" pilot?: HAN'S WATCH. A HATE WATCH is viewing a despised show or movie to mock it. I'm sure they made Harrison Ford remove his wristwatch after the test episode.
// j/k -- HAN was the Pilot of the Millennium Falcon

92. *Dropping hints about the release of a director's cut, perhaps?: TEMPTING FANS. Only true FANS TEMPT FATE & watch the director's cut. Oy! there's a reason those scenes are not in the movie.

107. *Blueprints for a new wardrobe?: FASHION PLANS. A FASHION PLATE is an illustration of a clothing style. I, of course, had to look that up.

123. *Like a sawmill without disposal facilities?: ALL BARK AND NO BINS. LOL! Once the logs are milled with the BITE of the saw, sans BINS, there's nowhere to put the leftover BARK. My fave of the themers. *chefs kiss*

Across:

1. Beauty entrepreneur Elizabeth: ARDEN.

Her WikiP

6. Resort near Snowbird: ALTA.

10. 28-Across flow: [28. Sicilian peak: ETNA] LAVA.

14. Captain with an ivory leg: AHAB. I didn't recall it was ivory.

18. Frisbee maker: WHAM-O.

19. Like samosas and wontons: FRIED.

20. Vein contents: ORES.

21. Spanish "nothing": NADA.

22. [See: Theme]

25. Turning point?: KNOB.

26. Mono- kin: UNI.

27. Brand of kitchen gadgets: OXO.

28. Sicilian peak: ETNA. 10a told us it flows LAVA.

29. Locale for clam diggers: SEASHORE. Beach was too short.

31. Weapon in Clue: LEAD PIPE.

Upper Left

34. [See: Theme]

36. Second chance for a student: RE-TEST. Did y'all ever get these? I had profs that would 2x test you and then give you average of grades but never a "try again, dummy." //oh, I take that back - one prof would give you a second chance but you'd get worst of the two grades - that's so you couldn't boost your score.

38. Canonized Mlle.: STE. A Holy Lady of France.

39. In the style of: ALA.

40. Like much music of the 1990s: ON CD. I was looking for Grunge (#Nirvana) but ON Compact Disc works.

43. Jaguar's roar: VROOM. Har, har.

45. Inexact no.: EST. Estimate

47. Birds similar to crows: ROOKS.

Rook v Crow v Raven

52. [See: Theme]

56. Dessert that may have a lattice crust: PEACH PIE.

Yum!

58. Alfa __: sports cars: ROMEOS.

Obligatory

59. Cause of a quick blessing: SNEEZE. Cute.

61. College official: REGENT. Dean was too short and NCAA Ref too long.

62. Chemical suffix: ENE.

63. Scratchy sound: RASP.

66. Most twisted: WRIEST.

68. Indoor rowers: ERGS.

69. Part of LGBTQ+: GAY. #2 in the list.

71. [See: Theme]

74. Actress Arthur: BEA.

She refused Comicus his Vnemployment Insvrance

75. Video file format: MPEG.

77. Country that borders 14 other countries: RUSSIA.

78. Jekyll's counterpart: HYDE. Robert Louis Stevenson's Strange Case of those two.

80. __-pitch softball: SLO.

83. Off the mark: ASTRAY.

85. Sudden bursts: SALVOS.

88. 46-Down deliverer: [46. Public address: SPEECH] ORATOR.

90. Trial version of a puzzle app, e.g.: GAME DEMO.

92. [See: Theme]

95. Take the wheel: STEER.

Dare ya' to STEER this STEER

96. Hill worker?: ANT. Is a "?" needed?

98. User without an account: GUEST.

99. Small ensemble: TRIO.

100. Assn.: ORG.

102. Hard water?: ICE.

105. Backspace over: DELETE.

107. [See: Theme]

113. Nonconformist: MAVERICK.

James Garner as Maverick

117. Invisible ink?: UV TATTOO. A tat with specialized fluorescent inks that glow brightly under blacklight or UV. Huh, new to me.

118. "This instant!": STAT.

120. Accessory for a fish tank: NET.

121. Versailles monarch: ROI.

122. Rotary phone part: DIAL.

123. [See: Theme]

127. Walking pace: GAIT.

128. Piece in Azul or mahjong: TILE.

129. Patronage: AEGIS.

130. Spanish boys: NINOS.

131. Concludes: ENDS.

132. Sunrise locale: EAST.

133. "Hey, c'mere!": PSST.

134. Like a haunted house: SCARY.

Down:

1. Just terrible: AWFUL.

2. River past Arles: RHONE.

3. Classmate of Beavis: DARIA.

4. AED-trained pro: EMT.

5. Zero chance: NO HOPE.

6. __/ace: LGBTQ+ orientation: ARO.

7. In real time: LIVE.

8. Saw things?: TEETH.

9. Lover of Aphrodite: ADONIS. Greek mythology.

10. Chop (off): LOP.

11. Playground retort: ARE SO.

12. Put on a pedestal: VENERATE.

13. Criticize harshly: ASSAIL.

14. Symbols in Egyptian iconography: ANKHS.
Symbol of Life


15. Capital city that's home to Turtle Tower: HANOI.
It's Turtles All The Way Down

16. Embellish: ADORN.

17. Naive ones: BABES.

19. Series of setbacks, in slang: FLOPERA. A portmanteau of FLOP and OPERA #S***Show

23. Travel permit: EXIT VISA.

24. Like sprinters: FAST.

30. In short supply: SCARCE.

32. Hip-hop pioneer from Compton: DR DRE.

33. Those, in Tijuana: ESOS.

35. Support for a driver: TEE.

37. Little ones: TOTS.

40. Fantasy monster: OGRE.

41. Very bright: NEON.

42. "I need a ride home": COME GET ME.

44. "I'll be!": MAN.

46. Public address: SPEECH. An 88a, ORATOR, delivers these.

48. "I'll be!": OH GEE.

49. Marian Anderson, for one: OPERA STAR I doubt she was in any FLOPs.

Her WikiP

50. "It's Too Late" singer Carole: KING.



51. Scenographer's designs: SETS.

53. Like many horror films: GORY.

54. Genre for Talking Heads: NEW WAVE.

55. Repeated word in a Doris Day classic: SERA.

57. Works in a gallery: ART.

60. Concealer target: ZIT.

64. Moo __ shrimp: SHU.

65. Relay: PASSON.

67. Hesitant around strangers: SHY.

70. Reach consensus: AGREE.

72. Govt. intel org.: NSA. No Such Agency.

This sign made me giggle when I saw it in the 2000's

73. Bank deposit?: SILT.

74. North Atlantic hazard: BERG.

75. GQ and Cosmo: MAGS.

76. Exam for HS jrs.: PSAT.

77. Reuben bread: RYE.

Kenny & Ziggy's Rubin

79. "Stop right there": DONT EVEN.

81. "The Real" co-host Love: LONI.

82. Approximately: ORSO.

84. Deft: ADROIT.

86. "R u kidding!?": OMG.

87. Root veggie: SPUD.

89. Subsequently: AFTER.

91. Flower on Mississippi's state quarter: MAGNOLIA.
Yep, there it is.

93. Swarm (with): TEEM.

94. Christmas and Easter: ISLANDS. Nice misdirection.

97. "__ we meet again": TIL.

101. Take turns: ROTATE.

103. "Mi __ es su ... ": CASA.

104. Catch in a snare: ENTRAP.

106. [See: Theme]

107. Sundae topping: FUDGE.

108. Like swifts, but not Swifties: AVIAN. Cute clue.

109. Prim and proper: STAID.

110. Hits the brakes: HALTS.

111. Matters of opinion?: POLLS.  Nice.

112. Sushi bar bottles: SAKES.

114. Supermodel Shayk: IRINA.

115. "The Weir" playwright McPherson: CONOR.

116. __-face: smooching: KISSY.

119. Social media labels: TAGS.

124. Get in a pool: BET.

125. Trivial complaint: NIT.

126. Shaving brand: BIC.

The Grid:

Range of Motion

Y'all have a great Sunday!
Cheers, -T

14 comments:

  1. I didn’t understand
    the theme at first, but after the reveal I got it. I guess they don’t call it the “reveal” for nothing!
    Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!

    Yay, d-o read the full reveal clue. Boo, d-o kept trying to put "tet" on "s". D'oh. Got 'er done -- well, almost. I had DARLA where DARIA needed to go -- UNI/UNL, tomato/tomahto. The STEER visual reminded me of this week's news story of an elk attacking a sedan in Estes Park. Never heard of a FLOPERA, but it makes sense. Not knowing IRINA and CONOR made BINS slow to appear. Finally got it. Thanx, C.C. and Dash-T. (Do you suppose C.C. knew you'd be blogging today when she included those Alfa ROMEOS?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meh. FIR but didn't enjoy this one

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIR, thanks to the theme. I wouldn't have had a chance w/o IRINA and CONOR without it. Also, asian->FRIED, errata sheets->HISTORIC SINS, eerie->SCARY, add to->ADORN, cia->NSA, and lori->LONI.

    I knew ROOK from playing cards with the fam as a kid. The game was considered to be a stepping stone to contract bridge.

    Waait a doggone minute. I thought we were taught at Crossword U that STAN means "stalker fan." She died before the term was coined, so I don't think she and any of them.

    If you find yourself in Atlanta, don't miss The Varsity, a fast-food joint near GEORGA STAte University.

    The only Bevis cohort I know is Butthead.

    Never heard of FLOPERA, but I like it.

    I also like Talking Heads' Once in a Lifetime. DNK they were NEW WAVE.

    PASS ON is so versatile. It can mean relay, say no to, or die.

    FLN - TTP, how could you forget Stephan Foster's My Old Kentucky Home?

    Thanks to CC for the fun Sunday challenge. I'm assuming that it's Patti's work for at least one of the LGBTlasdfuygaiuyweflikuk;junasdf+ BS. And thanks to Bayou Tony for another terrific tour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CB Radio Day? Breaker 19 good buddies. I didn't catch the TE replacing the NS until the end.
    I'd never heard FOR THE LOVE OF PE-TE; only FOR PETE'S SAKE. But the puzzle was a very doable Sunday.
    HATE WATCH, as described by Tony, is another. Why waste your time. Find something else to do.
    Just a few unknowns- UV TATTOO, CONOR, DARIA, ARO/ace, (Patti won't give up), FLOPERA, LONI, IRINA. Perps took care of them.
    EXIT VISA-China comes to mind on that one.

    You know you're getting old when you have two good friends die on the same day (yesterday) and a third in the hospital getting a pacemaker after she flatlined after getting a hip replacement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear about the loss of your buddies, BigE. Peace to you.

      Delete
  6. Took 17:31 today to scale the Teton Range.

    I had "Darla" before "Daria," didn't know the "opera star," "turtle tower," and a few others.

    The theme played no part in my solve, but I appreciate the explanation by A-T.

    Grand Teton National Park is beautiful. I consider it a mistake that so many people go to nearby Yellowstone (also beautiful) but don't try to get to Grand Teton.
    Please don't be one of them, for your "sakes."

    ReplyDelete
  7. My youngest was a big fan of DARIA which gave me a leg up on this beautiful Sunday. I can solve C.C. puzzles but would never have recognized the TE to NS concept without her presenting it. I did not know UV TATTOO LONI as clued CONOR as clued and never heard of FLOPERA . A very fun Sunday. Thanks -T and C.C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FIR. There were a whole lot of learning moments for me, too many to mention, but the perps were there to help as needed.
    After finishing the puzzle I spent a great deal of time staring at the reveal, and the long answers, and came away totally baffled. I guess the theme was way above my pay grade. I had to come here to have it explained, and still it took a while to sink in.
    Overall an enjoyable puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Solved without groking the substitution. Brava, C.C. Thanks, -T.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed this puzzle by our leader Zhouqin. Sometimes I am not happy with her over use of crossed proper names, but this time it was all fair. The theme really helped. I love the TETONS.

    AnonT I think it is FLOP ERA. We have seen this before. An ERA of one's life where there were FLOPs.

    Learning moment about ROOK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, and learning moment about TURTLE TOWER. Way cool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The theme was a bit convoluted for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got the theme after looking at the reveal three times. My only hang up was an alphabet run to finish around lgbts "aro," never hearing of "flopera," and the killer, thinking a Samosa was a cocktail! Fried was the last thing to come to mind...

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.