google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Partials in Crosswords

Advertisements

Sep 9, 2018

Partials in Crosswords

Lemonade just asked if OF A (32. __ sort) in last Friday's puzzle was a partial. Yes, it is. Little multi-word entries with Fill-in-the-Blank clues are called partials.

In this Sunday September 9, 2018 puzzle, there are three:

44. "... but maybe I'm wrong": OR NOT.

82. "Are you __ not?": IN OR

33. "Can __ now?": I GO
  
"Long, long ___" for AGO is not a partial, though it has a Fill-in-the-Blank clue, but "Give it ___" for A GO will be a partial. Just remember "multi-word", normally less than 5-letter long.

Rich allows four partials in a 21*21 grid. Two for a 15*15 grid.

C.C.

2 comments:

OwenKL said...

I don't think 44 is a partial.
"That's what will happen, but maybe I'm wrong."
"That's what will happen, --or not."

Maybe I'm wrong, --or not." is a valid sentence, but I don't think that's what this clue is about.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Thanks for the examples, Owen, you're right. OR NOT in this case is not a partial.