Theme: "Say Cheese" - Phrases with photographic term in are re-interpreted as if they're related to the specific photographer in each clue.
24A. The old-time photographer preferred the __ : NEGATIVE ASPECT. Now all digital.
31A. The IndyCar photographer used __ : ZOOM LENSES. Zoom Zoom!
52A. The fashion photographer worried about __ : MODEL BEHAVIOR
66A. The dating service photographer was happy when __ : EVERYTHING CLICKED.
84A. The arctic photographer had to consider __ : EXPOSURE TIMES. Cold temperature exposure.
104A. The dessert photographer took a set of __ : JELLO SHOTS
112A. The stressed-out photographer __ : FINALLY SNAPPED. I like this as the final theme answer.
I know Lemonade remembers this fact: Pancho Harrison was our very first LA Times constructor when the Tribune Media dropped Wayne R. Williams edited daily crosswords.
Can you believe our local Star Tribune still carries the Williams puzzle? Same byline every day.
1. Thingamajig : DOODAD. I even nailed OEN (3. Vintner's prefix). Constructing crosswords sure makes me a better solver.
7. Toronto team, familiarly : JAYS
11. Schnauzer of fiction : ASTA
15. Jack Jones' record label : KAPP. Never heard of it. EMI (38. U.K. record label) was a piece of cake.
19. Place for an ace? : SLEEVE
20. Sitting on : ATOP
21. Stock holder? : BARN. Also, STY or PEN.
22. Jai __ : ALAI
23. #1 hit song from "Flashdance" : MANIAC. Got via crosses.
27. Foals' fathers : SIRES
29. Last Supper question : IS IT I? God I'm sure glad this question was asked. Very crossword-friendly combo.
30. A dog, or a little hoarse : HUSKY
35. Unassertive type : DOORMAT
39. Stuffed : SATED
40. Chorus : REFRAIN
41. "Suits" network : USA
44. Sea dog : SALT
46. Article 1, Section 3 constitutional subject : SENATE. Did you learn this in school?
48. Fair subject : SCIENCE. Subject clue echo.
50. Play area : THEATER
56. When tripled, and so on : YADDA
57. Smack, maybe : KISS
59. __ tai : MAI
60. Ortega's "other" : OTRO. No OTRO/OTRA confusion this time.
61. Stan Lee superheroes : X-MEN
63. Support bar : RAIL
64. Some coins : TOKENS
71. Finally : AT LAST
73. The last Mrs. Chaplin : OONA
74. "I'm buying!" : ON ME. We also have A MOI (125. Michel's "mine")
75. Gardener's choice : LOAM
76. Here-there connection : NOR. Neither here nor there.
77. Dazzles : WOWS
79. Star athlete in Archie Comics : MOOSE. Also new to me.
89. Lao-tzu followers : TAOISTS
91. Meat-filled pastry : RISSOLE. I forgot. We had this before. Wiki said it's just small croquette.
92. "Help me out here, bud" : BE A PAL
94. ER command : STAT
95. Single : ONE
96. Barenboim is its current music director : LA SCALA. Easy crosses. I have no idea who their music director is.
100. Modesto vintner : GALLO
102. Prior to, in poems : ERE
103. Peso part : CENTAVO
106. Arcade pioneer : ATARI
109. Mead milieu : SAMOA. Margaret Mead. Not the drink. Speaking of drinks, look what Steve sent to me. I never had Rooibos or the other 7 teas before (Jasmine is my go-to tea). I'm now like a kid at toy stores. Different tea every morning.
111. Computer acronym : ASCII
116. Passionate : ARDENT
120. Envelope abbr. : ATTN
121. Canter, for one : GAIT
122. Garr of "Tootsie" : TERI. Who's your favorite actress, D-Otto?
123. In layers : TIERED
124. Investment factor : RISK
126. Norse god of war : ODIN
127. Pope works : ESSAYS. Not Alexander Pope. Pope Francis, correct?
1. Mil. decoration : DSM
2. Motor extension? : OLA. Motorola.
4. Ben Franklin's belief : DEISM
5. Is of use : AVAILS
6. Downward movement : DECREASE
7. Star of TV's "The Fugitive" : JANSSEN (David). Thanks crosses. I've only seen Harrison Ford's "The Fugitive".
8. Supped : ATE
9. Hindu mystics : YOGIS
10. White-robe providers : SPAS. Marti told me she prefers massages over facials. How about you?
11. Not much : A BIT OF
12. Oskar Schindler, to many : SAVIOR. Indeed.
13. Half of sei : TRE
14. California's Santa __ Mountains : ANA
15. Done for : KAPUT
16. Pub offerings : ALES
17. Prepare for a trip : PACK
18. "That's rough" : PITY
25. Word with pool or table : TIDE
26. Twain of country : SHANIA
28. Shift neighbor : ENTER KEY. Of course I looked at my keyboard.
31. Piquant : ZESTY
32. Fred Astaire's birthplace : OMAHA. I thought he was born somewhere in Kansas, Gary/ Avg Joe.
33. Quieted, in a way : OILED
34. Dutch cheeses : EDAMS
36. Bulldoze, in Bath : RASE
37. St. comprised of two peninsulas : MICH. I had ???H earlier on and I knew it's not UTAH.
40. Cab in a bottle, say : RED. Wine.
41. Southwest competitor : UNITED. Steve's airline.
42. Disdain : SCORN
43. AHL's Iowa Wild, when they were in Houston : AEROS. Iowa Wild is an affiliate of the Minnesota Wild. They were called Houston Aeros before 2013.
45. Skosh : TAD
47. Set-__: arguments : TOs
49. Bring to mind : EVOKE. I tried to mimic Argyle, but I forgot he really reached out for Mr. John Deere.
51. Makes serious demands on : TAXES. Not an easy clue.
|Minnesota State Fair, August 26, 2014|
|Spitzboov & Argyle, Washington County Fair, August 23, 2014|
51. Makes serious demands on : TAXES. Not an easy clue.
53. Webzine : EMAG
54. Not of the cloth : LAIC
55. Puff up in the breeze : BILLOW
58. Chant : INTONE
62. "Rocky III" actor : MR T
63. Genetic letters : RNA
64. Airer of many RKO films : TCM
65. Vermont ski resort : OKEMO. I can only think of STOWE.
66. Slip by : ELAPSE
67. Luis' "Let's go!" : VAMOS. Learning moment for me.
68. Laugh-a-minute : HOOT
69. Calvary inscription : INRI
70. Prepares for use, as software : INSTALLS
71. 1999-2004 Olds : ALERO
72. Snake venom, e.g. : TOXIN
77. Like an Aberdeen newborn : WEE
78. Siouan language : OSAGE
80. Grafton's "__ for Outlaw" : O IS
81. Bone: Pref. : OSTEO
82. Get underway : START
83. Bass-baritone Simon : ESTES. Never heard of the guy.
85. Cirque du __ : SOLEIL
86. __ Bator : ULAN. The Chinese for Ulan Bator sounds very pretty.
87. Staff notation : REST
88. G.W. Bush is the only president who earned one : MBA
90. Dole out : ALLOCATE
93. Old TV's "knight without armor in a savage land" : PALADIN. "Have Gun, Will Travel" . I drew a blank.
97. Othello's lieutenant : CASSIO
98. Forward, to Fellini : AVANTI
99. __ Linda, Calif. : LOMA
101. Underworld god : OSIRIS. Isis's husband/brother. Do you know who his father is? Nut!
103. Ill-tempered type : CRANK
104. Made fun of : JAPED
105. Conceals : HIDES
106. At a distance : AFAR
107. South American monkey : TITI
108. Farm workers : ANTS. Ant farms.
110. Vision: Pref. : OPTO
113. NYC traveler's option : LGA
114. Holiday veggie : YAM
115. Verdi's "__ tu" : ERI
117. Victorian __ : ERA
118. Marshal under Napoleon : NEY. Wish Bob Ney still served in the Congress. We'd have a good clue for NEY. He was once so powerful, but so corrupted.
119. NFL scores : TDs