Theme: Three Italians - An adjective for three Italian cities begin these phrases.
20A. Christian led by the Pope : ROMAN CATHOLIC. Rome
39A. Equine that originated in Italy's Campania region : NEAPOLITAN HORSE. Naples (Wikipedia - Neapolitan horse).
55A. Slatted window treatment : VENETIAN BLIND. Venice.
Argyle here. I am not sure of the intent of the theme today. Based on three Italian cities, Venice in northern Italy, Rome in the middle and Naples in the south, but not presented that way in the grid. Any ideas? Love to hear them.
1. Ginger cookies : SNAPS
6. Take down __: humble : A PEG
10. 1040, for example : FORM
14. Stand-up in a club : COMIC
15. Close by : NEAR
16. Ireland's best-selling solo artist : ENYA. SailAway.(4:28)
17. Plentiful : AMPLE
18. __ Bell : TACO
19. Sinister look : LEER
23. Passionate : FIERY
24. "Amadeus" subject : MOZART. Amadeus Trailer.(2:24)
27. Paper with NYSE news : WSJ. (New York Stock Exchange / Wall Street Journal)
30. 300, to Caesar : CCC
31. Federal agency support org. : GSA
32. Michele of "Glee" : LEA.
33. Lotion ingredient : ALOE
35. Road for Caesar : ITER
37. Brook or lake fish : TROUT
42. Iraqi currency : DINAR
43. "Pleeeeeease?" : "CAN I?"
44. Wedding cake level : TIER
45. Part of USDA: Abbr. : AGR. (agriculture)
46. RR depot : STA
48. Big name in kitchen gadgets : OXO. Mid-range prices. (OK, desper-otto?)
50. Harris and McMahon : EDs
51. 1862 Tennessee battle site : SHILOH. Also known as the Battle of Pittsburg Landing. Map.
53. Dolly the sheep, e.g. : CLONE
60. Tiny dog biter : FLEA. My first thought was of those little ankle biters.
62. Balkan native : SERB
63. Eagle's dwelling : AERIE. Can we get an update?
64. Nerd : DORK
65. Machu Picchu resident : INCA
66. Boa or mamba : SNAKE
67. Like an optimist's point of view : ROSY
68. Big Dipper component : STAR
69. Facilitated : EASED
1. Capone facial mark : SCAR
2. Pitcher Hideo : NOMO. Hideo Nomo was the first Japanese-born Japanese major leaguer to permanently relocate to MLB when he joined the Los Angeles Dodgers in 1995.
3. Clock radio letters : AM/PM. Ha! I was looking for the switch from AM/FM this time.
4. Seasoned rice dish : PILAF
5. Like many postcard photos : SCENIC
6. Continent with penguins : ANTARCTICA
7. Like bogs : PEATY. And some single malts, eh Tinbeni?
8. Apiece : EACH
9. Cleans and brushes, as a horse : GROOMS
10. __ Navidad : FELIZ. (Merry Christmas) Written and sung by José Feliciano in 1970.
11. Diet soda claim : ONE CALORIE
12. Deli bread choice : RYE
13. Fold, spindle or mutilate : MAR
21. Director DeMille : CECIL. Are you ready for your close-up?
22. Disinclined : LOATH
25. Acted in an environmentally conscious way : REUSED. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
26. Spuds : TATERS
27. Comedian Sykes and a fish : WANDAs. The movie, "A Fish Called Wanda" came out in 1988. Cleanest clip I could find for Sykes.
28. "... in a one-horse open __" : SLEIGH
29. "Can We Talk?" comedienne : JOAN RIVERS
31. Nature Valley snack : GRANOLA BAR
34. Govt. antipollution org. : EPA
36. Inbound flight approx. : ETA
38. Decay : ROT
40. Welles of "Citizen Kane" : ORSON
41. Watergate president : NIXON
47. Grad student's paper : THESIS
49. Having just hit a double, say : ON BASE. Not the daily kind.
52. Like a faulty pipe : LEAKY
53. Approximately, in dates : CIRCA
54. Supreme Court justice Kagan : ELENA
56. Camping gear : TENT
57. Some nest eggs, briefly : IRA's
58. Swoosh logo company : NIKE
59. Accomplishment : DEED
60. WWII leader : FDR
61. Brit's bathroom : LOO