Now THAT'S a pinwheel ~!!!
Now THAT'S a pinwheel ~!!!
Triple 8's and 6's going counterclockwise around a "cross" - I love the pure symmetry. As for the solve, well, that was not as pretty. I have to admit, I needed to look up two locations to get me to completion, but in my defense, I do not live in California - or the Bible; namely -
1D. City where a Pauline letter was received : PHILIPPI - so I did not know my Paul epistles, and I went searching for a list, here - I had "-PPI", so I figured it out from there
and from the other quadrants, for no particular reason;
18A. Clancy's Jack Ryan, e.g. : CIA AGENT - I liked Alec in "Red October"; and Harrison in "Patriot Games"
36D. Japanese restaurant order : TERIYAKI - also a wings flavor at Buffalo Wild Wings, #2
59A. Regularly monitored, in a way : ON PAROLE - I was going for "ON PATROL", but my 40D was definitely right - and then the V-8 can...
1. Human mind : PSYCHE - argh~! I knew this...
7. Petty disagreement : SQUABBLE - Great word
15. Show whose original house band was The Buckaroos : HEE-HAW - too young to know this one
16. Shoe parts : OUTSOLES - well, sure, if there's an IN sole, there must be...
17. Phrase that gets a caller's attention? : I RAISE - ah, not "FREE ME", but a poker 'call'
19. Closer : LATCH - not really a closer, more like a "keeps closed" device - and I wasn't sure if this was cloZer or cloSer, like "not far", or 'a near'
20. Round Stic maker : BIC - disposable pen
21. Frond part : PINNA
22. __ jure : IPSO - legalese, right Lemon?
23. Nut crackers : BEAKS
25. Modify : EDIT
26. 21st Greek letter : PHI - well, I can never remember the order; PHI, CHI, PSI - hey, the "I" is always right....
27. Hairstyles like MacGyver's : MULLETS - sorry, not linking an image...
29. Understand : SEE
30. Upright citizen? : PIANIST - upright piano, and its player
32. Meshed dividers : NETS
34. Words from the head of a line : I'M NEXT
35. Kind of justice : POETIC
39. Work that can't be done alone : DUET - unless you're this "guy"
41. Undermine : TORPEDO
42. Wagner's "__ Rheingold" : DAS
45. Pump pick : PREMIUM - not REGULAR
47. Rabbit friend : ROO - From Winnie the Pooh
48. Marine predator : ORCA
50. Leg strengthener : SQUAT - Two "Qs", one "Z" and "X", but no F and J in today's grid
51. Streamlet : RILL
52. City in Florida's horse country : OCALA
54. Carrier letters : USS - was SO wanting this to be uPs, but it's aircraft carrier, not parcel carrier
55. Enter : KEY IN
56. Home entertainment piece : WALL UNIT
58. Delivery class? : LAMAZE - About the only thing we DON'T deliver at UPS...
60. Brings out : EVOKES
61. City near the Khyber Pass : PESHAWAR - geography lesson
62. Shooting locale? : RAPIDS
2. Ranking angels : SERAPHIM - just had this as "9D. Celestial creatures : SERAPHS" yesterday
3. Reminiscent of the 1919 poem "The Second Coming" : YEATSIAN - having to do with poet YEATS; is this poetic justice?
4. City with a California State campus : CHICO - My other "cheat", found the list here
5. Dish of leftovers : HASH - OLIO, STEW, SLOP, ah, yes....
6. Lea bleater : EWE
7. Talkative : SOCIAL
8. Popular financial software : QUICKEN
9. Hagen of the stage : UTA
10. "Immediately!" : ASAP - I prefer this A.S.a.P. - Adrian Smith and project - Zak Starkey on drums
11. "I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history" speaker, familiarly : BOGIE - Humphrey BOGART
12. Homogenizes : BLENDS
13. "Of Mice and Men" rabbit lover : LENNIE
14. Impressive spread : ESTATE - not pâté, more like this
20. Middle manager? : BELT - very good - my middle section needs more than a belt lately
23. Raid squad : BUSTERS
24. Run an errand, say : STEP OUT
27. Error : MIX UP
28. It's often preceded by a warning : STORM
31. "Pushing Daisies" pie maker : NED - never watched the HBO show
33. Ninth in a series: Abbr. : SEPtember
37. Adored : IDOLIZED
38. Hipster's trait : COOLNESS
40. Only word heard in a 1958 song of the same name : TEQUILA - Not Wipeout
41. Reunión attendees : TIAS - the accent denotes a foreign word, this time Spanish
42. Genre characterized by nonsense syllables : DOO-WOP - link away ~!
43. Recherché : ARCANE - that F-F-French again
44. Works near an arena, perhaps : SCALPS - sells tickets "illegally" at a higher price, hence....
46. Assemble, as troops : MUSTER
49. To whom many pray : ALLAH
51. Clean again : RE-MOP
53. Vibes : AURA
55. Island brew : KAVA
57. "Immediately!" : NOW - ASAP didn't fit; oh wait....
58. The Once-__: "The Lorax" character : LER - The Wiki