Words: 70 (missing X )
We last saw today's constructor on a Saturday way back in January; I mention this not only because it's true, but I had just returned from upstate NY where my friend Garry has his wind- and solar-powered cabins - and this weekend I move into his house in Flanders. As for the puzzle, I was hoping it would not be too much of a brain-drain. Gave myself a pat on the back for getting thru most of the gird, but it was a WAGfest in the NW. Triple 9's crossing triple 7's in the corners are make for one of the worst kinds of grid - it usually means proper names/two-word answers/extreme vagueness;
1. Reaction to a piece of cake : NO PROBLEM - I seriously considered "YUM YUM YUM" because I had the "M"; I also pondered "LET THEM", as in "eat cake"
29. Amazon visitor's need : WEB ACCESS - hmmm, which Amazon~? The River, or the "go-to" online site for shopping~?
46. "Sure, let's!" : "I'M UP FOR IT~!"
60. Attempt : HAVE A GO AT - user-friendly vowel/consonant grouping; have a "goat~?"
10. Ustream offering : NET TV - oops, not VIDEO
15. Hyperlink feature : UNDERLINE - frequently seen in email addresses, between parts of names; firstname.lastname@example.org
16. Missouri River city : OMAHA
17. Qatar-based broadcaster : AL JAZEERA - the Wiki (From C.C.: I think this underline is what 15A refers to, right, TTP/D-Otto?)
18. Equate : LIKEN
19. Org. concerned with pedagogy : NEA - $2 word for the method of teaching
20. Parliament : London :: Storting : __ : OSLO - sounded Scandinavian
21. "As if I care!" : "BITE ME~!"
22. Blending aid, briefly : CAMO - short for camouflage, Frawnche for "smoke in the face"
24. Not high : SOBER - 3,949 days and counting
26. Some univ. proctors : TAs
27. Balances (out) : EVENS
32. Make easier to eat, as fruit : DESEED
34. Noted source of rubies and sapphires : SRI LANKA
35. French vineyards : CRUS
37. Rank quality : ODOR - my first thought was about smell, but I ended going with ONE-A....bzzzt~!
38. Like some courses : REQUIRED
42. Cannonball consequence : SPLASH
49. "'I __ you liked your drink,' sez Gunga Din" : 'OPE
50. Confines : CAGES
52. Farm food : SLOP
53. Ford model : TAURUS
56. Senate minority leader : REID
58. Otolaryngologists, e.g.: Abbr. : DRs - long word for a short abbr.
59. Patronized, in a way : ATE AT
62. It's open at the end of the fall : CHUTE - ah, parachute - at least you hope it's open at the end....
63. Cattle site : OPEN RANGE
64. Works with keys : TYPES
65. Microbrewery product : WHEAT BEER - ooh, I was close with CRAFT beer
1. Far from clear-cut : NUANCED
2. Like some new mothers : ON LEAVE
3. "Death Comes to Pemberley" author : P.D. JAMES - utter WAG from mostly perps; a link to her website
4. "In Dreams" actor : REA - we saw him last week
5. Ingredient in some Italian wedding soup : ORZO - the little bits of pasta; I like the little bits of meatball; interesting fact about the soup's name origin here
6. Approve : BLESS
7. Hide : LIE LOW - oops, not LAY low
8. Covers up, in a way : ENROBES - I like when confectioners "enrobe" their treats in chocolate
9. Word of apology : MEA - we also saw this last week
10. __ me tangere : NOLI - Latin for "touch me not" - new to me - some history
11. Put out : EMIT
12. Stop for a bit : TAKE TEN
13. 1994 Jim Carrey film : THE MASK
14. Samuel Barber opera : VANESSA - WAG
21. Intertwines : BRAIDS - pondered SPOONS first
25. River from Cantabria to Catalonia : EBRO - ha-HA~! Nailed it from crossword experience~!
28. Finishing stroke : SERIF - TAP-IN (golf) fit, too, but it wasn't working for me
30. Old cobblestone road sounds : CLOPS
31. Mexican novelist Fuentes : CARLOS - WAG and perps
33. Large pigs : DUROCS - new to me; I only know this Durock
38. Babysitter's reading, at times : RIOT ACT - LULLABY and WANT ADS fit, too
39. Therapist's asset : EMPATHY - I pondered "GOOD EAR" to start
40. What waiters often do : QUEUE UP - those who wait; I spent 90mins in DMV to register my van yesterday - with no signal for my cell phone
41. The "rh" in "rhapsody," e.g. : DIGRAPH
43. Wrapping words? : "ALL DONE~!"
44. Cloud function : STORAGE - the web-based servers kind of cloud; RAINING did fit, tho
45. Cool cat : HIPSTER
47. Tube : TEE-VEE
51. Italian town with a biannual horse race : SIENA - perps
54. Give stars to, say : RATE - OK, how would you rate her~!?
57. Dash : DART
60. wiki__: collection of online manuals : HOW
61. Jaw : GAB
Note from C.C.:
Crosswords LA puzzles are available here. $8 for the whole pack plus some bonus puzzles. All proceeds go to Reading for Kids charity.