Happy Friday the 13th.
Mr. Quinlan is back for his 4th LAT and second Friday. I had the pleasure of blogging the debut of this middle-school teacher here in April 2015. He quickly had his first NYT that May. His most recent here was last October which featured controversy about his fill FIVE-O and the introduction of a celebrity solver RB. Jim who has been kind enough to stop by and clarify his work, uses a Friday staple - add letters. Today the trigram UPS, which is confirmed in a reveal. With 63 letters in the theme, there was not much room for long sparkly fill but I SAY SO, IT IS SO (?), ODD LOT, TEE HEE, BEER CANS and UNLISTED added to the challenge.
I hope none of you all (Y'awl?) have ever had a package stolen from your porch; as Splynter was wont to say, ON*WARD*
18A. Calendar model's argument?: PINUPS POINT (11). I doubt that it is easy to pinpoint an argument a calendar model was putting forth.
24A. Ones who curry favor in Cannes?: FRENCH KISS-UPS (13). French kissing is nice, but ass kissers are not.
41A. Booms in the poultry industry?: CHICKEN UPSWINGS (15). Thank Buffalo for the modern importance of the lowly chicken wing.
51A. Northern New York gallery, say?: UPSTATE MUSEUM (13). The TATE is a CSO to our British brethern.
And the reveal:
61A. Package on the porch ... or what's been brought to 18-, 24-, 41- and 51-Across: UPS DELIVERY.
1. Adobe extension: PDF. Portable Document Format is a keystone to all modern law work, for saving, transmitting, and studying documents, eliminating the incompatibility of word perfect (the favorite of legal writers) and word.
4. Food: EATS.
8. Formal affirmation: IT IS SO. This must be the appropriate response to Captain Jean Luc Picard.
14. Amazement: AWE.
15. "Logan" superheroes: X-MEN.
16. Bib, essentially: NAPKIN. One I would not have thought of, but it is true.
17. Cooking acronym: PAM. Learning moment! PAM is a cooking spray currently owned and distributed by ConAgra Foods. Its main ingredient is canola oil. The name PAM is an acronym for Product of Arthur Meyerhoff. Wiki.
20. First word of The Beach Boys' "Kokomo": ARUBA. The first stanza.
Aruba, Jamaica, oh I want to take ya
Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama
Key Largo, Montego, baby why don't we go, Jamaica...
22. David Caruso starred in the Miami version: CSI. It crashed and burned after 10 seasons and 232 episodes. Before that, in 2006, BBC News published an article stating that CSI: Miami was the world's most popular television series, featuring in more countries' top ten rankings for 2005 than any other series. BBC online.
23. __ periculo: at my own risk: MEO. This is inferable from the clue, sort of. Just Latin- periculum = danger. Friday challenge.
29. Jackie portrayer on "Nurse Jackie": EDIE.
30. Spike TV, once: TNN. The Nashville Network.
31. He finished hosting "The Tonight Show" 12 years before Fallon was born: PAAR. Jack.
34. Tool points: NIBS. I think of pens not tools.
37. Long past: OLDEN.
44. Wrap label: SARAN. When we were kids we had Alcoa Aluminum foil, Cut-rite wax paper and Saran. In 1949, it became the first cling wrap designed for commercial use. It was sold for household use in 1953. SC Johnson acquired Saran from Dow in 1998. SC Johnson had some concerns about the safety of PVDC and subsequently took steps to eliminate it from Saran's composition. The popularity of the product, as well as sales, suffered as a result. If you’ve noticed recently that Saran isn't much different than Glad or Reynolds products, that’s why.
45. Isaac's eldest: ESAU.
46. Extended tale: SAGA.
47. "Just joking!": NOT. Popular response for while.
49. Narrow cut: SLIT.
57. Latin lover's word: AMO. I love you.
58. Cup holder?: BRA. Cute, and then 66A. Main man: BRO.
59. Seller of spots: ADREP. Advertising Representative. Like Mad Men.
67. Snicker: TEE HEE.
68. Anticipatory times: EVES.
69. Beauty preceder?: AGE. Age before beauty. The phrase is often given as part of a supposed exchange between the U.S. writer, politician and diplomat Clare Booth Brokow, who later became Clare Boothe Luce, and Dorothy Parker. It is said that, in the archetypal circumstances for uttering the phrase, that is, while holding a door open for Parker, Brokow said "Age before beauty". Parker's reply was "Pearls before swine".
70. Small stock purchase: ODD LOT. Mulitples of 100 shares of stock is the normal lot.
71. Pudding starch: SAGO.
72. Amount realized: NET.
1. Smurf with a red hat: PAPA. I think he was a derivative from the seven...
2. Fictional miner: DWARF.
3. Longest human bone: FEMUR.
4. Open a satellite shop, say: EXPAND.
5. Bizet's buddy: AMI.
6. Base __: TEN.
7. Moved furtively: SNUCK.
8. Demand: INSIST.
9. One in a pub lineup: TAP. 21D. Six-pack makeup: BEER CANS.
10. Google's was in 2004, briefly: IPO. Initial Public Offering.
11. Be very thrifty: SKIMP. Skimp and save or is it SCRIMP?
12. Trig functions: SINES. So many and so far in the past in my life.
13. In the know about: ON TO.
19. Penultimate Greek letter: PSI. Which leads me to...
25. Picture at Cannes: CINÉ. From the Greek κῑ́νημα (kī́nēma) which means movement from which we also got kinetic.
26. "Die Lorelei" poet: HEINE. Heinrich - born Harry. The first stanza-
Ich weiss nicht, was soll es bedeuten,
Dass ich so traurig bin;
Ein Märchen aus alten Zeiten,
Das kommt mir nicht aus dem Sinn.
27. __ day: school contingency: SNOW.
28. Not in the book: UNLISTED.
31. Cubicle fixtures: PCS.
32. "I got it!": AHA.
33. It's all around you: AIR. I always say money is like air, it really only is important when you have none. I am not sure who I stole that from.
35. School __: BUS.
36. Unavoidable jerk: SPASM. I always wondered what that guy's name was.
38. What might reveal the answer to "Who's your daddy?": DNA.
39. Custard base: EGG.
40. Org. that abhors leaks: NSA.
42. Windsor, for one: KNOT. I learned this STYLE before my teens.
43. "Star Trek" lieutenant: SULU.
48. Smartphone alternative: TABLET. We are a two tablet family; Oo seldom leaves home without hers.
50. Parental words of finality: I SAY SO. But why? Because...
51. Decided on a diamond: UMPED. A baseball clue for C.C.
52. Sat: POSED.
53. Start to cycle?: TRI.
54. Wasp nest sites: EAVES. I am allergic to bees but I was more afraid of the damn wasps.
55. __ Dictionary: URBAN.
56. Road sign with a double-tailed arrow: MERGE.
57. One on a driveway: AUTO.
60. One who works with feet: POET. I am an Iambic pentameter fan.
62. FedEx alternative: DHL.
63. Want ad abbr.: EEO. Equal Employment Opportunity.
64. Actress Gabor: EVA. Green Acress is the place to be...
65. Gas pump spec.: REG.
Tough day at work yesterday; I hope you enjoy this effort and have a great weekend. Thank you JQ and all of you. Lemonade out.