Theme: Give me some skin, bro - One word that can be patched to the start of the entry phrases.
66A. Medical adhesive strip ... and a hint to what can precede the first word of 17-, 25-, 40- and 52-Across: SKIN PATCH
17A. Filled light pastry: CREAM PUFF. Skin cream.
25A. Gronk's position on football's Patriots: TIGHT END. Skintight.
40A. Magician's hand movement: FLICK OF THE WRIST. Skin flick.
52A. Like some pizzas and apple pies: DEEP DISH. Skin deep.
Argyle here, plus Gail with Bruce today. No "B" in this naughty blue Monday. The pics I could have posted boggles the mind but you already have been boggled enow if you watched the Oscars.
1. Seaweed wrap resorts: SPAs
5. Peaceful: CALM
9. Dozed: SLEPT
14. Small chess piece: PAWN
15. Baseball's Moises: ALOU
16. Flooring specialist: TILER. A tiler earns his pay putting tiles around pipes and the edges of the room.
19. Like good gossip: JUICY
20. Expand, as a collection: ADD TO
21. San __, California: MATEO
23. Comic Margaret: CHO. "I love drugs, but I hate hangovers, and the hatred of the hangover wins by a landslide every time." - Margaret Cho
30. Spiro ran with him: RICHARD. Late-’60s Maryland governor, Spiro Agnew, served as Vice-President under Richard Nixon.
34. Baby's bodysuit: ONESIE. Standard baby shower present.
35. Comm. system with hand motions: ASL. (American Sign Language)
36. Slowly withdraws: WEANS
39. Tablet downloads: APPs
44. RPM gauge: TACH
45. Unifying idea: THEME
46. Pierced body part: EAR
47. Moral values: ETHICS
50. Mob witness' request: AMNESTY, and entry into the witness protection system.
55. Purported UFO fliers: ETs. (Extra-Terrestrial)
56. Bond portrayer Daniel: CRAIG
58. "__ directed": medication warning: USE AS
62. Magna __: CARTA. Runnymede, 1215. It will be on the quiz.
68. Graceland idol: ELVIS
69. Military medal earner: HERO
70. Ivy League school: YALE and 11D. 70-Across collegian: ELI
71. Hosiery thread: LISLE
72. Hullabaloos: ADOs
73. Upright wall timber: STUD
1. Pet lovers' org.: SPCA. (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals)
2. Western chum: PARD. 1840-50, Americanism; by alteration and shortening of partner.
3. Left dumbstruck: AWED
4. Grab quickly: SNATCH
5. Bottle topper: CAP
6. University supporter, briefly: ALUM. An alumna or alumnus.
7. Lite, dietwise: LO-FAT. Both words are adspeak.
8. Civilian attire: MUFTI. Origin.
9. Virgin Islands isl.: ST. JOHN
10. Lucy of "Elementary": LIU. Holmes and Watson
12. Ab neighbor: PEC. Muscles, abdominals and pectorals.
13. Give it a whirl: TRY
18. Mostly shaved-head style: MOHAWK
22. Bigheadedness: EGO
24. Double Delight cookie: OREO
26. Hazmat suit problem: TEAR
27. Glimpses: ESPIES
28. Tries to bite, puppy-style: NIPS AT
29. "__ Rides Again": 1939 Western: DESTRY
30. Shot the rapids, say: RAFTED
31. Arrives after the bell: IS LATE
32. Overused expression: CLICHÉ
33. Bonkers: DAFT
37. To the __ degree: NTH
38. Mets' old stadium: SHEA
41. Greenside golf shot: CHIP
42. Plus-size supermodel: EMME
43. Ascended: WENT UP
48. Jewel box: CD CASE
49. Title for Connery: SIR
51. Emerson works: ESSAYS. Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 – 1882)
53. Recent White House daughter: SASHA. Malia Ann and Natasha Obama.
54. Walked in the woods: HIKED
57. Early whirlybird, for short: GIRO. Autogiro, originally a trademark of Cierva Autogiro Co., is also known as gyro, autogyro, gyroplane, gyrocopter, or rotaplane.
59. Coup d'__: ÉTAT
60. Bill of Rights-defending org.: ACLU. (American Civil Liberties Union)
61. Lawn mower holder: SHED
62. Animation still: CEL
63. "Aladdin" prince: ALI
64. Homes on wheels: Abbr.: RVs. (recreational vehicle)
65. Shop __ you drop: 'TIL
67. Discouraging words: NOs
Owen inspired addition.
Owen inspired addition.