C.C., our leader here at Camp Crossword, has presented us with a lovely Sunday puzzle where nine theme entries are two word phrases where the first word starts with a T and the second with an M. Therefore her reveal also had this characteristic:
108. Corporate identifier whose symbol is common to nine other puzzle answers : TRADE MARK - with the themed TM on the symbol
Here are C.C.'s nine TM entries
23. Alternative to Samoas : THIN MINTS - All right, Morgan, you know we're taking 5 boxes of THIN MINTS. What else ya got?
25. Model S automaker : TESLA MOTORS - Plug and go! Founded by 48. 25-Across CEO Musk : ELON
36. Where many races are run : TRACK MEET - Usain's going about 28 mph! He'd give that TESLA a race for a while!
54. Hunting guide of a sort : TREASURE MAP - You can buy a replica of the TREASURE MAP and the Emerald from Romancing The Stone online.
73. It starts at love : TENNIS MATCH - Gotta love this clue! Omahan Andy Roddick's 150+mph serves got the match off love (zero) quickly!
90. Flier with striped wings : TIGER MOTH - Also see 21 Across below
105. Place for emoji : TEXT MESSAGE - Mom might have to look for an I'm Sorry emoji for her last entry
38. "Utopia" author : THOMAS MORE - Some say Sir Thomas's book of this mythical island was a prototype for a communist society with no private property or competition. Others think it was a satire of 16th century society.
43. "Now!" : THIS MINUTE - A handy parental phrase
Here is the rest of C.C.'s TRADEMARK sparkling fill:
1. "I Am __": recent Jenner documentary : CAIT
5. Parlor order : MALT
9. Home of Spaceship Earth : EPCOT - The ® means it is a registered ™
14. Choker part : CLASP
19. Hanging out, say : IDLE
20. Many a Jordanian : ARAB
21. Touches the clouds : SOARS - de Haviland's TIGER MOTH as it SOARS into the sky (alt. for 90 Across theme answer)
22. Constraint : LIMIT
27. Fights : GOES AT IT - There was a lot of pain for those who chose to GO AT IT with with 81. Legendary fighter : ALI
28. "__ do it!" : LET'S - I had to abandon Nike's JUST
29. Online handle : USER ID
30. Anxious med. condition : OCD
31. Coffee shop amenity : FREE WIFI
33. Flower from the Greek for "star" : ASTER
35. Overtime causes : TIES
38. Vocal syllable : TRA
41. Madness may involve one : METHOD
44. Bread sometimes dipped in dal : NAAN - NAAN and Dal Nirvana
45. Hit the runway : LAND - Sully tells the story where the plane did LAND but, uh, not on LAND
46. China problem : CHIP
47. Cookout leftovers : ASHES
48. Gobbles up : EATS
49. Complete : END
50. Ice cream alternative, casually : FROYO
52. Snow house : IGLOO
57. Sound of disapproval : HISS - A melodrama staple
59. "Take your time" : NO HURRY - NO HURRY, Mom!
61. __ spray : NASAL
62. Versace headquarters : MILAN
64. Equine color patterns : ROANS
66. Tips that are often dropped : HINTS
67. Bathroom fixture : BIDET - Tired on waiting for my SIL, my BIL brushed his teeth using water from one in Assisi!
68. "Four Quartets" poet : T.S. ELIOT
70. Blue books? : SMUT
77. "The Princess Bride" co-star : ELWES
79. Nebraska native : OTO - Bronze statues in Ft. Calhoun, NE commemorating the 1804 Council between Lewis and Clark and the OTO people
80. Flu symptoms : AGUES
82. Bass part : GILL
83. "We'll always have __": Rick, to Ilsa, in "Casablanca" : PARIS
85. Shame : PITY
86. Stud starter : ANTE - If you're gonna play stud poker for money, ya gotta ANTE!
87. Exercises on a path : JOGS
88. Holey bread : BAGELS
89. Dallas-to-Memphis dir. : ENE
92. Barcelona-born surrealist : MIRO and 37. Bauhaus artist : KLEE - Artistic members of our group will immediately know which man painted Harlequin's Carnival
93. "King Kunta" rapper Kendrick __ : LAMAR - I googled the lyrics...
94. Reaction to an insult, maybe : ICY STARE
96. See 35-Down : ACT 35. With 96-Across, bad thing to be caught in : THE
99. Remington of '80s TV : STEELE
102. "My Way" lyricist : ANKA - Paul said he was moved by the depth Elvis brought to this song
103. Newspapers, radio, etc. : OLD MEDIA - Now it's http://www.zip recruiter.com and others
109. Peace Nobelist Root : ELIHU
110. Unexpected, in a way : EARLY
111. __ Alto : PALO
112. Click sources : MICE
113. Dished (out) : METED - In Thomas More's UTOPIA, all were METED out the same amount
114. Uses a keyboard : TYPES
115. Layered haircut : SHAG
116. Many are named for presidents : ERAS
1. "Fueling Good" gas brand : CITGO
2. For a specific purpose : AD HOC
3. Ashamed admission : I LIED
4. Column of numbers : TENS
5. Bistro bigwig : MAITRE D'
6. __ Army: Palmer's fans : ARNIE'S
7. Starbucks offering : LATTE - It's not a MIRO or KLEE, but it looks pretty!
8. "Full Frontal With Samantha Bee" channel : TBS
9. Gloria of pop : ESTEFAN
10. Like some justice : POETIC - In Shawshank Redemption, innocent Andy Dufresne escapes after 20 years in prison and gets the corrupt warden arrested for money laundering. Yay!
11. Mama of pop : CASS
12. Magic, on sports tickers : ORL
13. PreCheck org. : TSA - With TSA Pre√, you can avoid this
14. Place for skeletons? : CLOSET - They won't stay there if you run for office!
15. Fanta size : LITER
16. Don Juan's love : AMOR
17. Microsoft : Cortana :: Apple : __ : SIRI
18. Combat vet's affliction : PTSD - It was probably Post Traumatic Stress Disorder that greatly changed my grandfather after service in France in WWI
24. Family members? : MAFIOSI
26. Not bright, as colors : MUTED
28. Istanbul coins : LIRAS
32. Serena Williams has been its year-end #1 player since 2013 : WTA TOUR - Women's Tennis Association Tour
33. Name on the range : AMANA
34. Ships : SENDS
39. Saudi money : RIYAL - A Whopper meal costs SR20.00 in Jeddah
40. Per unit : A POP
41. "Do the __!" : MATH
42. Morales of "Criminal Minds" : ESAI
44. Lye, in the lab : NAOH - Sodium Hydroxide or NaOH
46. Wave parts : CRESTS
50. "Social Studies" author Lebowitz : FRAN
53. Pesky swarm : GNATS - They've been terrible this summer and seem to like OFF
54. Odor source : TRASH
55. Ex-Cub Sandberg : RYNE
56. Get together : UNITE - Haley Mills sang Let's Get Together in the cheesy Disney movie Parent Trap in 1961. I had such a crush on her!
58. Oscar winner Poitier : SIDNEY
60. Campus cadets' org. : ROTC
63. Fragrant necklaces : LEIS
65. Where to see runners : SLEIGHS
66. Call of the wild : HOWL
67. Get going : BEGIN - The hardest part of some projects
69. Societal problems : ILLS
71. Elec., e.g. : UTIL - I wonder what Clark Griswold's Elec. Util. bill is in December
72. Eighty-six : TOSS - There are many fun ideas about the origin of this phrase
73. Crime scene barrier : TAPE
74. Comics read vertically : MANGA - Japanese comic form traditionally read right to left. Now found all over the world.
75. Crop in a lab, say : ALTER
76. Stadium section : TIER
78. "Oh, puh-leeze!" : SPARE ME
82. Prankster's cry : GOT 'YA
84. "A long time __ in a galaxy ... " : AGO
86. Rock singer Mann : AIMEE
87. Burdens for horses : JOCKEYS - This is where you guys get off!
88. Spaniel, for one : BIRDDOG - Also a fun song by the Everly Brothers
90. Yeshiva reference : TALMUD
91. Work the crowd : MINGLE
92. Youngest ever Nobel Prize laureate __ Yousafzai : MALALA - If you need a hero, may I offer this young woman who stood up to the Taliban in Pakistan for the right to educate women
93. Underworld river : LETHE - A tributary for the Styxx?
95. Yeshiva reference : TORAH
96. Storied firefighter Red : ADAIR
97. Roughly : CIRCA
98. Viewpoints : TAKES - Brilliant SNL parody
99. Cherry throwaway : STEM
100. Cast lead-in : TELE
101. Way out : EXIT
102. Group concerned with aging : AARP
104. Palindromic plus-size model : EMME - EMME Aronson
106. Prepared : SET
107. For example : SAY
108. Pulls a Charmin shenanigan, briefly : TPS
Feel free to contribute to the electronic TOWN MEETING that is TAILOR MADE for wit and wisdom
Notes from C.C.
1) Thanks for the fantastic wrap-up, Gary! You added so much sparkle.
2) Boomer and I met with long-time blog reader Jim Bordoni and his lovely wife Diane yesterday. It's fun talking with Jim about our blog and the regulars. Jim keeps track of his solving time for each LAT puzzle. He has met Garlic Gal and Chickie in person. Chickie knows Diane's mother, small world!
Jim used to have his own winery and gifted me and Boomer this special bottle of wine. Now he coaches high school cross country running. Their son (graduate student at Georgia Tech) was here in Minneapolis running the Roy Griak Invitational (cross country meet). Both Jim and Diane are avid runners. Diane runs 5 times (3 miles minimum) a week!