An Odd Flush.
![]() |
| Hearts SUIT Flush |
In poker, a flush is all cards of the same suit. Today, we have postfixes that uses SUIT in different contexts.
Good morning solvers! And welcome to another Janice Monday.
Let's start w/ the reveal:
57. Do the same, and what the ends of 17-, 25-, and 42-Across can do: FOLLOW SUIT.
17. "Just act naturally!": BE YOURSELF. SUIT YOURSELF.
Suit Yourself
25. Vietnam War film directed by Stanley Kubrick: FULL METAL JACKET. SUIT JACKET.
42. Quickly resolved legal matter: OPEN AND SHUT CASE. SUITCASE.
Pretty simple gimmick but cute nonetheless. Let's see what else suits Janice's puzzle...
Across:
1. Dot-__: online businesses: COMS. Another financial bubble that pop'd.5. Capital of South Korea: SEOUL.
10. Clever remark: QUIP.
14. Shape of many a car logo: OVAL.
15. Inner circle: CADRE.
16. Caterer's coffee servers: URNS.
17. [See: Theme]
19. AirPods holders: EARS. Ha! I kept trying to think if there was a name for their little recharger pods.
20. Chocolaty treats that may have walnuts: BROWNIES.
21. Portable device with a touchscreen: TABLET.
23. Baby bear: CUB.
24. __ farewell: said goodbye: BADE.
25. [See: Theme]
33. Between ports: ASEA.
34. Second-string players: B-TEAM. Ask ChatGPT to produce an image...
![]() |
|
36. Sow's opposite: REAP.
37. Renewable energy option: SOLAR.
38. Safari park roarer: LION.
39. Gloomy __: pessimistic sort: GUS.
40. Comedian Wyatt: CENAC. Wyatt Cenac was a writer and correspondent for The Daily Show with Jon Stewart from '08 to 2012. He continues to do standup and other projects.
![]() |
| Wyatt Cenac |
42. [See: Theme]
46. Finishes up: ENDS.
47. Part of FTW and BTW: THE. For THE Win & By THE Way #TextSpeak
48. Talks back to: SASSES.
51. Morton who plays Circe in "The Odyssey": SAMANTHA.
![]() |
| Samantha Morton |
56. Help in wrongdoing: ABET.
57. [See: Theme]
59. Genuine: REAL.
60. Face-to-face exams: ORALS.
61. Prefix with skeleton: ENDO.
62. Like a couch potato: IDLE.
63. Move, as a root-bound houseplant: REPOT.
64. Consider to be: DEEM.
Down:
1. Salad with bacon and eggs: COBB.![]() |
| Yummers |
2. "Back to you," in radio lingo: OVER.
Oveur Over
3. BLT spread: MAYO.
Two Airplane! clips FTW!
4. Insincere round of applause: SLOW CLAP.
![]() |
| Colbert is not impressed |
5. Book copier of old: SCRIBE.
6. Loosen (up): EASE.
7. Poems of praise: ODES.
8. Address that often starts with "www": URL. Technically, it starts with the scheme which, nowadays, is most oft the protocol HTTPS. I have, however, used ftp:// and gopher:// .
![]() |
| The URL Format |
9. Not quite closed: LEFT AJAR. When is a door not a door? When it's AJAR! *rim-shot* 😄
10. Montreal's province: QUEBEC.
11. Eurasian border river: URAL.
12. Memo heading: INRE.
13. Soft "Hey, you!": PSST.
18. E pluribus __: UNUM. Latin.
22. Singer Lambert: ADAM.
24. Laundry whitener: BLEACH.
25. North Dakota city: FARGO.
26. Spend all of: USE UP. No more. It's gone.
27. Rental contract: LEASE.
28. Govt.-issued investments: T-BONDS.
29. Book of maps: ATLAS.
30. Knightley of "Bend It Like Beckham": KEIRA.
![]() |
| Keira Knightley |
31. Furry "Star Wars" creatures: EWOKS.
32. Uptight: TENSE.
37. Summons: SENDS FOR.
38. Officially permitted to drive, say: LICENSED.
40. Walking stick: CANE.
43. Big name in milk chocolate: NESTLE.
44. Ultimate: UTMOST.
45. Melt: THAW.
48. South Asian silk dress: SARI.
49. Tucked in for the night: ABED.
50. Barking marine mammal: SEAL.
51. Smack: SLAP.
52. French greeting: ALLO.
53. Song: TUNE.
54. Keep out of sight: HIDE.
55. Tiny particle: ATOM.
58. Mine yield: ORE.
The Grid:
![]() |
| The Grid |
WOs: N/A
ESPs: SAMANTHA, KEIRA, ALLO
Fav: SLOW CLAP
Cheers, -T
The turkey just needs to be himSELF. R.I.P. Mitch











A couple of the proper
ReplyDeletenames were unknown, but that was the only “blip” in this otherwise Monday-easy puzzle.
FIR, so I’m happy.
I
Good morning!
ReplyDeleteNever noticed the theme. No matter. This was a nice early week romp. Thanx to Janice for the amusement and to Dash-T for subbing today.
Forgot to select my identity again...
DeleteI knew it was you.
DeleteFIR, but ecto->ENDO.
ReplyDeleteBefore the internet age, were EWOKs just WOKS?
The only "singer Lambert" I know is Miranda, the country star.
The only Mortons I know are the salt people and (crossword favorite) Sahl.
The first KEIRA role I remember seeing was in the 2001suspense film The Hole.
I noticed clues lamb and Lambert. I don't usually see those until coming here.
Thanks to Janis for another fun Monday eyeopener. And thanks to Bayou Tony for another successful pinch hit. I liked The B Team, and wondered if Mr T would now say, "I feel for the uninformed person that...." Also, my first email address started "Country=USA" some 40 years ago.
Good Morning:
ReplyDeleteWhen I see Janice’s byline, I know I’m in for a pleasant and enjoyable solve. She always manages to present us with a simple, yet creative theme and a squeaky clean grid. If there are any unknowns or head-scratchers, such as today’s Samantha and Cenac, helpful perps will be there to support and guide you. Monday puzzles are sometimes too easy and offer little interest or challenge to the more seasoned solver, but Janice seems to have a talent for composing a fresh and enjoyable solve that appeals to veterans, as well as newbies.
Thanks, Janice, and thanks for pinching hitting once again, Anon T. Loved the lost passenger comic!
Have a great day.
Simple and smooth puzzle this morning. I knew none of the people named here, but no problem, perps took care of them. The only erasure was T bills for T BONDS.
ReplyDeleteALLO is a French greeting only for answering the telephone.
Thank you A-t for the fun review. Lost passengers. 🤣🤣🤣
FIR. Once again we have arcane proper names like Cenac (?). And in a Monday puzzle. That's so wrong.
ReplyDeleteI got the theme with the help of the reveal. I'm not fond of suit yourself, but, oh well!
Overall a doable puzzle.
Good morning. I couldn't figure out the theme, thinking with SUIT (filled by perps) and JACKET might make it a clothing theme. I hadn't read the FOLLOW SUIT clue, as I tried to do as much of the puzzle as possible using only down clues.
ReplyDeleteA Rich Norris No NO-multiple A words in the same puzzle ASEA, ABET, AJAR. I guess Patti doesn't give A-DAM (Lambert). ALLO, ATOM, ATLAS.
Wyatt CENAC, SAMANTHA Morton-thank you perps for those unknowns.
B-TEAM player described my abilities in most sports. Remember when you had try out to make the team? Unlike most who tried out, I never got cut. I was better than the average person in almost every sport (except bowling) but not good enough to start consistently.
Marvellous Monday. Thanks for the fun, Janice and AnonT.
ReplyDeleteI FIRed in good Monday time (with a little slowdown at two spots) and got the SUIT theme with the reveal.
I had LEFT open at 36D, but needed AJAR. (OPEN was needed at 42A).
Then I fell into the heteronym (from yesterday’s CW) trap with Boar before REAP.
Big Easy beat me to all the A words (I noted ABET crossing ABED) (and REAL crossing SEAL).
I missed Jinx’s lamb and LAMBERT. I did note the animals - bear CUB, SEAL, EWE (and sow doesn’t count!).
Hand up for needing perps for SAMANTHA, CENAC.
I’ll take a Canadian CSO for QUEBEC.
But i spell LICENSED with two C’s (licenced).
Wishing you all a great day.
Took 3:46 today to paint a coat.
ReplyDelete(Or to see Judy Blue Eyes, kind of).
I knew One of the Actresses of the Day (Keira, not Samantha), but I didn't know Cenac or the French lesson (allo).
Monkey, why is there a separate greeting in French for answering the phone?
It’s an adaptation to the English greeting “hello” which occurred when telephones first arrived in France.
DeleteExcept that that CS&N song is Suite:,/b> Judy Blue Eyes. But SUIT yourself, I guess it could be "kind of." At first I thought it was "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes."
DeleteSo Monkey, you're saying it's cultural appropriation?
Crumb. Didn't get my closing tag for bold typed correctly. Oh well, Blogger seems to handle it better now.
DeleteAgree with everyone that posted that this was an enjoyable puzzle. Didn't know two names, but got them right anyway. Thankfully, no WNBA clues and foreign languages.
ReplyDeleteHola! It seems that I have to first sign on to my GMail for my name and photo to show here. Weird! The puzzle was as easy as Monday gets. Thank you, Janice Luttrell and AnonTony. Along with coffee it helps to wake me up.
ReplyDeleteSEOUL is tricky to spell and CENAC is unknown to me. And though I saw the Odyssey, I don't recall SAMANTHA Morton's name. I hope to see it again some time.
Have an awesome start to your week, everyone!
When I saw Janice Luttrel was today’s constructor I made a fresh cup of coffee knowing that this puzzle would be a fun and enjoyable solve.
ReplyDeleteFull Metal Jacket remains one of my fav war movies. A poignant, somber, and memorable film.
I liked Keira Knightly in Bend It Like Beckham and Love Actually.
Thanks for the thorough recap.