google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Saturday, September 26, 2026, Adrian Johnson

Advertisements

Sep 26, 2026

Saturday, September 26, 2026, Adrian Johnson

 Saturday Themeless by Adrian Johnson


  
Our Wyoming native who went to college in Minnesota is now doing greatwork for a startup group called BetterFi, a nonprofit working to end predatory lending in Tennessee.

I made great progress and soon had the NW to SE swath done and then had to go in to finish off the other corners which was a fun challenge with a lot of international cuisine and filmakers. 

Across:

1. Releases: EMITS.

6. Ardent supporter: MEGAFAN - This Raider fan qualifies


13. Island country that changed the shape of the International Date Line by skipping December 30, 2011: SAMOA.


14. "Anything you say": SURE SURE.

15. Guttural sound: CROAK.

16. Outermost meningeal membrane: DURA MATER.


17. Hot: IN DEMAND.

19. "Bad idea": DON'T.

20. High return: LOB.


21. 41-Across teacher: SENSEI and 41. Dojo discipline: KARATE.


23. Army __: ANTS.

24. Double-reed woodwind related to the shawm: OBOE - Adrian muddied the waters by adding a shawm in the clue 


26. Seldom seen: SCARCE.

28. Racing headgear: CRASH HELMET - 76-year-old comedian Andy Huggins says at his age he worries about falling and so he wears a HELMET. To keep from looking foolish, he also carries a skateboard.


30. Tailgating area: LOT.


33. Angiogram image, perhaps: AORTA - It kinda stands out, doesn't it


34. "__ bien": MUY.

35. Durable fabric: CHINO.


37. Drug featured in the Dock Ellis biopic "No No: A Dockumentary": LSD.


38. "How's it hangin'?": WHAT'S SHAKIN'


42. Bernie Sanders' mittens, for one: MEME.

What's shakin' Bernie?

43. Singer known as the "Goddess of Pop": CHER - Depends on who you ask. 

  

47. Harsh critics: HATERS.

49. PC IDs: IPS.


50. Martinican poet Césaire who helped found the Négritude movement: AIME 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


51. Dessert often made with espresso: TIRAMISU.


53. "Chocolate in every bite" cookie maker: CHIPS AHOY.

56. Sonicare rival: ORAL B.

58. Herb in fines herbes and herbes de Provence: TARRAGON - Fines Herbes (fēnz erbs - literally fine herbs): Made with a specific combination of four fresh herbs in equal parts: parsley, chives, tarragon, and chervil.


59. Bring up: RAISE.

60. Welcome words?: IT'S OPEN.


61. Wrapped: ENDED.


Down:

1. Key hit in panic: ESC.

2. Platform game that debuted in 1983: MARIO BROS - I loved playing their lo-res game on my Apple IIe


3. "You sold me": I'M ON BOARD.

4. Bufotoxin source: TOAD - Bufotoxin is a milky, poisonous defense chemical secreted by the skin and parotoid glands of true toads in the genus Bufo.


5. Array at an izakaya: SAKES Izakaya (居酒屋) are casual drinking establishments, similar to tapas bars, where customers order a variety of small dishes of food that can be shared at the table. 


6. Genre in which readers are clued in to the plot?: MURDER MYSTERY.

7. Time to study: ERA. 

8. Beaut: GEM.

9. Taqueria option: ASADA - When you're done at the izakaya, you can drive on over to a taqueria for some carne ASADA (grilled meat) food.

 

10. Guest room fixture: FUTON.

11. "__ you sweet!": AREN'T.

12. "Aw, phooey": NERTS.

14. Vinyasa sequence also called Surya Namaskar: SUN SALUTATION ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  - 
Vinyasa is the movement between poses. This slowly revealed itself.

16. Event one must prepare for exhaustively?: DANCE MARATHON - A DANCE MARATHON was the subject of this movie 87% on Rotten Tomatoes. The trailer


18. Vibe well: MESH.

20. Word in many union names: LOCAL - Hormel's LOCAL 22 Union has sponsored champion softball teams here in town for years.

22. Halo-halo base: ICE - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ More exotic food! This is a Filipino shaved ICE treat.


25. Part of i.e.: EST.

27. Make a lasting impression?: ETCH.

29. Skateboarding star Tony: HAWK - Tony now "hawks" Qunol products


30. "This bears repeating ... ": LIKE I SAID.

31. Instinctively: ON IMPULSE - I bought a Mazda Miata on impulse many years ago and regretted it. It always needed repairs and wouldn't handle snow.

32. Hues: TONES.

36. Muffuletta ingredient: HAM ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ More unknown (to me) food. The classic New Orleans sandwich combines a homemade olive salad with layers of thin-sliced Italian cold cuts. Man it looks so good!


39. Derisive laugh: HAH.

40. "Buona __": SERA.

43. Tacos de nopales need: CACTI - Our buffet continues: 


44. Percussion set: HI HAT.

45. Dubai rulers: EMIRS.

46. High-quality proof, for short: REPRO - Repro stands for reprographics (or reproduction), but in publishing, printing, and design, a REPRO specifically refers to a high-quality proof of text and images. It is used as the final checkpoint to verify that everything looks perfect before the final print run.


48. Camping treat: SMORE.

52. Home country of filmmaker Asghar Farhadi: IRAN. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 


54. Chump: SAP.

55. Sit in a cellar, perhaps: AGE.

57. Sack: BED.


12 comments:

  1. I thought this was a
    very fair puzzle. It helped that I had some familiarity with yoga, and had done the “Sun Salutation” many times in earlier years.
    The rest of the puzzle then fell into place from there.
    FIR, so I’m happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!

    Nope. Not a chance. I would just like to add that in Husker's SUN SALUTATION illustration #3 and #10 look more like moon salutations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finished a Saturday! Finished it wrong, but I finished! Didn't even know I was guessing at TeRAMISU x SUNSALUTATeON, which I failed to parse. In my defense, I was pretty much over the puzzle by the time I got to that point. Also, eases->EMITS, fetus->AORTA, tre->MUY, adel->CHER (at least I didn't try Sade,) egg->HAM, and drums->HI HAT.

    Cornerites just finished griping about "unlocked" for "IT'S OPEN," and here it is again.

    I knew Tony Hawk only from those pain reliever ads he does on TV.

    I worked with an IRANian named Asghar, so that was an easy guess.

    Thanks to Adrian for the Saturday special, and to H.Gary for another fine review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A really neat triple stack, nut way too easy IMO (though I knew MARIO BROS and only needed DUR- for DURA MATER, your mileage may vary). When a Saturday hands you a bunch of easy clues like OBOE, CHER, EMIRS, KARATE/SENSEI... you know it's not going to feel very Saturdayesque. Yesterday's puzzle actually took me longer, which is very rare given the typical jump in difficulty from Friday to Saturday.

    TOAD crossing CROAK was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FIR. This was not as much of a workout as some Saturday puzzles, but nevertheless it had the difficulty to be expected for the day. I had such high hopes when I threw down crash helmet without a thought. I was to be soon to be disappointed at what I thought was an easy day.
    The crossing of sun salutation and dura mater required a WAG to get the win and was my very last entry.
    But overall this was an enjoyable puzzle.


    ReplyDelete
  6. FIW. I had nono for DON’T. I knew ASAnA was wrong. but NERTS is not in my wheelhouse. When ICE filled, I assumed Halo halo was a base in Antarctica. 🤣

    The rest filled slowly but surely. Having done the SUN SALUTATION over the years, that filled quickly. I love TIRAMISU, muffuletta is very popular in New Orleans where it was created. Central Grocery seems to be the place to get them.

    I had rATERS for critics (HAr made sense). This is the second time we see HATERS as critic in a CW. I DON’T get it.

    Thank you HG. Another great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only through perseverance with perps and WAGS and, was I able to FIR today in spite of many unknowns. I really DNK MARIO BROS, MURDER MYSTERY, SUN SALUTATION, CACTO, ASADA, ICE, DURAMATER, MEME, AIME, IRAN, or TARRAGON but somehow, I got 'em onto the grid.

    Muffuletta- salami, ham, cheese, olive condite, and sometimes carrots on round, sliced Italian bread coated with sesame seeds. Always wrapped in multiple layers of paper, heated in an oven, and cut into fourths. Roll up your sleeves because the olive oil will drip over the paper. We always split one. Strictly NOLA because you won't find that type of Italian bread made by a French bread bakery elsewhere. Spoiler alert! All those 'French' bread loaves in NOLA are from German bakers. Leidenheimer, Reising, Bender brands.

    The best description of CHIPS AHOY I ever heard was that it was a 'flavored poker chip'. OREOs also fit that description but at least, they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good Morning:

    The NE corner did me in thanks to not being able to come up with the type of fan, the mysterious membrane, the literary genre, or the salutation. I found the entire solve challenging and not in a pleasant way. There were too many obscure clues and too many foreign words, and not enough helpful perps, IMO. Kudos to those who solved successfully.

    Thanks, Adrian, and thanks, HG, for the review and commentary. Apparently, you and I weren’t anywhere near the same radar this morning!

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After three solid weeks of traveling (2 for work sandwiching 1 week vacay), I finally got to sit back in my favorite chair and relax with a crossword. Yep, old-fashioned pencil and paper for me!

    A nice challenge from Adrian. Best clue was "A time to study."

    Bofo toads are nasty down here in Florida. One of our dogs (pre-Buster) bit a toad in the yard and was soon spasming and foaming at the mouth. A quick trip to the vet saved him.

    Great job, HG, as always. Andy Huggins is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Finally! An enjoyable Saturday suss fest!
    Even the Naticks were sussable! Lots of unknowns and learning moments, quite the workout!

    I think it was Anarkie in yesterdays late night comments questioned scout as an answer for lone ant. If you ever see a lone ant, and he finds some food, he (or it.) will leave a scent trail back to the nest, and in no time you will have hundreds of the little buggers...

    down in Florida, we have fire ants, and these teeny tiny no see-em thingies they call ghost ants...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The number of unanswered clues I pass by before reaching one I’m am reliably sure of can predict whether I’ll finish a Saturday. So today was suprised to FIR after so many blanks. Plethora of unusual clues, Adrian must have made frequent Google visits, called upon Alexa/Siri or simply has encyclopedic “Jeapardy!” like knowledge.

    Without some awareness of Neuro-cerebral anatomy DURAMATER likely perped (“hard mother” tough outer membrane as opposed to the pia mater “soft tender mother” around brain folds) as in subdural hematoma.

    Inkovers: wool/MEME

    IPS VRs IDS? wha? REPRO?

    Almost filled “Army” BRAT…. even worse: MAGAFAN, yikes! NERTS? Tacos from CACTI?!🌵 Ouch

    Just put “They Shoot Horses Don’t They” on my bucket list. Unlike a MARATHON I was in a frosh HS Twist dance contest where couples were sequentially eliminated. We were the last dancing, so won. Prize? 50 cents. Seriously, but the price of a movie ticket in 1964

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend. 😀🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.