google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, Oct 2nd, 2026 ~ Norman M. Aaronson

Advertisements

Oct 2, 2026

Friday, Oct 2nd, 2026 ~ Norman M. Aaronson

 LABYRINTH


Holy Family Passionist Retreat Center - their labyrinth website page

Author Norman M. Aaronson had an LA Times crossword back in July on a Wednesday here.  Today he returns with a puzzle that was, for me, not a very challenging Friday foray, despite a dozen names and a Natick.  Four themers with 'a twist' in the clue, and nothing obscure in the answers; I don't know how this one got published so late in the week; perhaps the oversized 15x16 grid~?  Not likely - or maybe I was on his wavelength, and most of the fill was in my wheelhouse; YMMV.  ALOT of Twurds & names, not so many 3LWs, no circles, no outliers.  Four themers, none spanning, no reveal;  

18. Story told with a twist: MYSTERY NOVEL - I am currently reading the "Exoskeleton" series from Shane Stadler, an odd horror/sci-fi/existential series, but I am sticking with it

29. Party gift created with a twist: BALLOON ANIMAL

Bah-dum-tiss

50. Cocktail served with a twist: VESPER MARTINI - Ha~!  I wondered if this was the James Bond drink, ordered in the 2006 Daniel Craig 007 movie Casino Royale - and a gratuitous scene for our C.C.

My friend, bring me one as well, keep the fruit . . ." - Felix Leiter

66. Feat performed with a twist: PLATFORM DIVE - but can you do the Triple Lindy~?

 

ACROSS:

1. Big horn: TUBA - "it's not a TUBA~!"

AAAAhnaaald~!

5. "Scoot!": AMSCRAY - Pig Latin for Scram - the 'language' formation "rules"

12. Winery tub: VAT

15. Human rights lawyer Clooney: AMAL - I know who she is, could not recall the spelling, went with AMAN - Bzzzzt~! - name #1


Hey, I think I know that guy with her . . .

16. Bacon strips: RASHERS

17. Kerfuffle: ADO

20. Replayed tennis serve: LET

21. Gnats, termites, and the like: PESTS

22. River deposit: SILT

23. Timothée Chalamet trilogy set on a desert planet: DUNE - Tried reading this Frank Herbert novel back in middle school, but I just couldn't get into it, and I'm a Sci-Fi guy; I did watch some of the "new" series featuring this actor - and I like the dragonfly things . . . name(ish)


More here

24. Like some elephants: ASIATIC - comparison to African elephants here

27. "Golly!": "OH GEE~!" - "Oh, Twurd~!"

34. Tolkien monster: ORC

37. Shuts with force: SLAMS

38. Food package phrase: USE BY - Two words #1

39. Speak highly of: LAUD

41. Gaps: SPACES

44. Like many supermodels: TALL


They all look to be at least 6ft tall . . .

45. Dizzy: AREEL - "a" Twurd #1

47. Simply must: HAS TO -Two words #2

49. Filmmaker Spike: LEE - knew this one, name #2

54. "Pagliacci" clown: TONIO - CE:D blogged his insight on the play here; the Wiki, name #3

55. Carriers of raw metals: ORE CARS - Two words #3

59. Fail to mention: OMIT

61. Hopper on a pet: FLEA

64. Orange __ tea: PEKOE

65. Ballpoint brand: BIC

69. Large deer in the Rockies: ELK

70. Barbecue spot: TERRACE

71. Tabloid duo: ITEM

72. Golf hole meas.: YDs

73. States as fact: ASSERTS - and you know what happens if you ASS-U-ME . . . 

74. Reseals, as a road: TARS


DOWN:

1. Third-largest city in the Sunshine State: TAMPA - Two weeks running on Friday, Geo name #4

2. "Uh, I think so": "UM, YES." - Er, Twurd

3. Low choir voices: BASSI - in the Latin/Italian plural

4. Window-switching shortcut: ALT TAB - Two 'words', learning moment, and a Natick crossing for me


5. Flight board abbr.: ARRivals, not "ETA", Monday dupe #1

6. Star Wars Day month: MAY - the Fourth Be With You

Tuesday in 2027

7. Figs. targeted by phishers: SSNs -Social Security Numbers

8. Kenneth of "9-1-1": CHOI - no clue, more here, name #5

9. L'Oréal rival: REVLON - cosmetics companies

10. "Think" singer Franklin: ARETHA - Friday cluing, still a name, #6

11. French fashion letters: YSL - crossword staple, abbr name Yves St. Laurent, #7

12. Fast-food combo: VALUE MEAL - hey - a solid two-word clue/answer

13. Yemeni port: ADEN - Geo name #8

14. Handy bag: TOTE

19. "¿Cómo __?": ESTAS - Español lesson #1

23. Believer in a noninterfering god: DEIST - I believe in "The Force" - I was on a 12-step spritual retreat this past weekend, and I walked the labyrinth pictured at the top on the grounds Sunday morning - now I want to make one in my back yard~!

25. Woes: ILLS

26. Thunder sound: CLAP - what's the sound of ONE thunder bolt clapping~? 🙄

One week to "Cooper"town, Irish Miss~!

28. Wild beast also called a wildebeest: GNU

30. Largest city in the Cornhusker State: OMAHA - Geo name #9, and a Saturday sherpa shout-out

31. Sesame Street's resident Grouch: OSCAR - name #10

32. Fit: ABLE 

33. Country singer Lovett: LYLE - name #11, knew it

34. Patron saint of Norway: OLAV - name #12, knew it two ( too )

35. Uncommon: RARE

36. Pool equipment: CUE STICKS - Ah, that kind of  pool . . . not the Monday one

40. Railroad station: DEPOT

42. This, in Spanish: ESTO - Español #2

43. Mix: STIR

46. "Blue Bloods" actor Cariou: LEN - I remember he played a role on Law & Order, still, name #13

48. Early afternoon hr.: ONE PM - this, or TWO

51. Rummages (through): RIFLES

52. Big grinders: MOLARS - dental, not deli  . . .

53. Sealed the victory: ICED IT - Two words #4

56. Japanese dog breed: AKITA - name(ish)


57. Mars exploration vehicle: ROVER - could be your Akita dog's name, too . . . 😁

58. Comes across as: SEEMS

59. Toe the line: OBEY

60. Tame: MILD

62. To be, in French: ÊTRE - Frawnche

63. Way out there: AFAR - "a" Twurd #2

66. Sch. supporter: PTA - abbr, Parent / Teacher Assoc., Monday dupe #2

67. Halloween mo.: OCTober, the month we just crossed into

68. Hi-__ graphics: RES

Splynter


Grid Flow 16.8

32 comments:

  1. The crossing of “Len”
    and “Tonio” wasn’t really fair, in my opinion. And I have other little nits like that.
    Nevertheless, FIR, so I’m happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning!

    Um, no. D-o went with Uh, YES. Hey, that lady lawyer could'a been named AHAL. That was the beginning and ending of the mystery on this one. But that was enough. Bzzzzzzt. Thanx, Norman and Splynter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FIW. I was so focused on VESPER MARTINI, TONIO and LEN that I forgot to revisit mALL x DEISm. I erased several entries trying to cram in an african elephant. ALT TAB disabused me of that notion. Also use me->USE BY (I really wanted eat me,) and esta->ESTO,

    Never heard of a VESPER MARTINI, but I do remember VESPER Lynd from Casino Royale.

    Luckiest man alive: LYLE. (He bagged Julia Roberts.) Luckiest woman alive: AMIL. (She bagged George Clooney.)

    Thanks to Norman for the Friday special, and to Splynter for the fun review.

    ReplyDelete

  4. If there was a 'twist' in this puzzle I never noticed it. I had to take a long look at the VESPER MARTINI after OLAV (or OLAF-wasn't sure) finished it. The rest of the puzzle was a Monday level one, with only CHOI and TONIO as unknowns.

    AH YES-okay. That's what people say. UM YES- I would say UM NO.

    AMAL- I wish the media would quit touting people as activists, influencers, rising stars, podcasters, protestors, human rights this or that and just report the news. With that thought, I'll AMSCRAY.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You nailed your summary, Splynter, this was the easiest Friday in memory. I just had a different Natick at LEN crossing TONIO, but I guess N was the only real choice. And thanks for the balloon animal toon!

    I spent a little time at the end trying to discover the theme until I realized it was outside the grid and in the clues.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning:

    The puzzle itself was fine but was by no means a Friday theme or challenge. Choi and Vesper Martini were the only unknowns but easily sussed. Omaha is becoming a fairly regular entry. Does anyone know why bacon portions are referred to as rashers? Overall, an easy solve but a disappointing Friday offering.

    Thanks, Norman, and thanks, Splynter, for the detailed review and commentary, especially the breakdown of the various pluses and minuses of the cluing and fill. Enjoy your Cooper-sitting duties.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Took 6:09 today to finish with Chubby Checker.

    I didn't know the Actors of the Day (Choi & Len) and I struggled with the foreign language lessons (estas, esto, & etre). "Rashers" was also a learning moment.

    I miss the old Friday-level crossword puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, pretty easy for a Friday. The theme was evident at MYSTERY NOVEL. The V of unknown VESPER was the last cell to fill. It sounded better than fESPER. One other unknown CHOI.

    I don’t guess people use pig Latin today. TERRACE SEEMS odd for a bbq locale.

    Thank you Splynter for a fun and informative review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The V was also my last fill. I can never remember if it's OLAF or OLAV.

      Big Easy

      Delete
  9. FIR. For a Friday I found this to be fairly easy. For the most part the cluing was quite fair.
    I got the theme early on and that helped a lot. I'd never heard of a vesper martini, but since I don't drink it's not surprising. I'm lost when it comes to mixed drinks.
    Overall an enjoyable puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last week I did really bad from Wednesday on, so I was happy to finish today's, even though I FIW. Always like it when I read comments here, that mirror my own. Crossing an unknown clown, with an unknown actor was my downfall. I guessed Lou because for me, there was no way to even come close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Failed at Len-Tonio natick. And Pagliacci was the one opera my opera-loving dad got my to watch all the way through. I'm so ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably cuz it’s a short opera limited to just two acts.

      Often performed with another short opera “Cavelleria Rusticana” (Rustic Chivalry)


      Delete
    2. The aria always makes me cry.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fastest Friday I can remember. More early-in-the-weekish easy clues/theme.

    The OLA F/V debacle but only VESPER made sense. (So a MARTINI shot back after evening prayers?) ASIATIC 🐘 Not Asian? who GNU?

    If ESTO is “this” in español is ESTAS “those”, feminine case? “ÊTRE ou ne pas ÊTRE” says Hamlet touring France. Are Spanish and French CWs challenged with English clues and answers?

    “AMSCRAY”: How ‘bout a CW with a Pig Latin theme! C’mon somebody.

    …LAUD
    Mancave : ADEN
    Academy award for grouchiest actor: OSCAR

    Gloomy rainy Friday 😟

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Second time what is printed cut off what I cut and pasted. A MYSTERY!) 🤔

      Delete
  14. Hand up LEN/TONIO unfair and unnecessary. Even Google has no idea about this TONIO.

    Not fond of this kind of theme. It does not help at all with the solve. Managed to FIR.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Natick was RASHERS & CHOI
    Rashers must be a geographic thing
    cause I never heard of it, and I'm from Natick,MA

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ack! Whoa, whoa, back up the boat! What's goin' on here?
    I seem to remember writing about I PAGLIACCI, and it wasn't Tonio, it was Canio! Who's messin' with the letters here...

    Just a non-update, I sent an email to the school website, to ask them to forward our existence to our new constructor, and have him read our Blog if he wants feedback. I have'nt heard (bupkiss?). Possibly because they thought I was Spam... (they might not be wrong...)

    Hmm, after a deeper dive (re reading wiki) there was more than one clown in that Opera?
    (Is this Where "send in the clowns" comes from?)
    Sheesh! Some day I am going to have to get past that one aria...

    Re: Dune
    Don't get me wrong, I love SciFy! But I never really got into Dune...
    It could be that I made a mistake, and read book two first, the. Book one, then book three, and never noticed the mistake until years later....

    Oh, almost forgot...
    I wouldn't be CE:D if I didn't post something silly...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with the "Easy for a Friday" comments. FIR in 17. 18 names, DNK 6. As others, "V" was the last cell to fill. Never heard of a "vesper martini".

    Tolkien monster: ENT/ORT/ORC/ Oy.

    Thanx for the fun CW, NMA. Best clue: Big grinders.

    Thanx too to Splynter for the terrific write-up. Whenever I see pictures of women wearing those ridiculous high-heel shoes, I always think, "They are ruining their feet!"

    I struggling through my third day with a miserable cold. Going back to bed now, hope to get some sleep, which has been scant the last three nights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find sleep is one of the best remedies for colds.

      Delete
    2. Be careful, Unc — I just had the same thing…and it morphed into pneumonia. Put me in hospital overnight. If you get worse, don’t mess with it — go directly to the ER.

      ====> Darren / L.A.

      Delete
  18. Hola! Easy Friday puzzle. I'm surprised because I expect more challenge on a Friday. I've never heard of a VESPER MARTINI though I'm very familiar with VESPERS as an evening prayer. Does anyone remember the Christmas movie, AMAL and the Night Visitors? That's what I always think of when I see AMAL.
    Kenneth CHOI was the only unknown for me and I always wait to see if it's OLAF or OLAV.
    ADEN has seen a lot of action lately.
    CSO to Gary at OMAHA.
    Have a wonderful day, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Musings
    -OLA(F OR V) and a drink I have never heard of was my last stop. LEN and TONIO made the section even more challenging but it all worked itself out.
    -OMAHA has been a frequent destination for Patti and the constructors recently. That city is still drying out after horrible flooding on Wednesday.
    -A hilarious AMAL Clooney introduction
    -Cell phones rob you of the satisfaction of SLAMMING down the receiver.
    -My DW does not differentiate between USE BY and BEST WHEN USED BY dates
    -Milk and bananas take care of themselves when you know how long they are usable.
    -The Mars ROVER Opportunity was designed for a 90-Day mission. It lasted for nearly 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Len/Tonio, Tonio made the most sense for an Italian name. Otherwise I had no idea. Vesper sounded better to me than Fesper. Way easy for a Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous Friday. Thanks for the fun, Norman and Splynter.
    I FIRed in very good time, but was looking for more of a “twist” theme in the themers.

    Several inkblots.
    ASIoTIC made no sense for an elephant, but forced me to the plural BASSI not BASSo.
    I filled in DEISm without reading the clue fully. (Hi Jinx)That gave me “mALE” models until LYLE showed me the error of my ways. DEIST is the believer.
    Hand up for hesitating between OLAf and OLAV. Although I am not familiar with a VESPER MARTINI , it sounded better than a fESTER one.(hi Monkey)

    I noted AREEL and AFAR.
    We had Spanish ESTAS, ESTONIAN and the French ETRE. Plus the Spanish HASTO - whoops, it would be HASTa. LOL

    OMAHA has been a popular city in CWs this week.
    PEKOE tea is Red Rose for this Canadian.
    Wishing you all a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. AAARGH…14+ proper names (depending on how y’count ‘em) with a couple of crossings; words in 3 foreign languages (plus pig Latin?) and stuff like AREEL (a-really?!?). If this hadn’t been inordinately easy for a Friday, I’d have been even more peeved. Starting with the wrong kind of “Big horn” didn't help (tusk>TUBA) as didn’t tout>LAUD. Being a Mac guy, I had no clue (pun intended) about ALT-TAB; luckily, once I got my horns tuned, between perps and WAGs (would those be “pergs”?) things worked out and I got the ol’ FIR.

    Most of my entertainment came from your review, Splynter. The Triple Lindy! Inflation! 007’s new martini! Fun stuff, thanks dude! That all eased the pain 🤣

    ====> Darren / L.A.

    ReplyDelete

For custom-made birthday, anniversary or special occasion puzzles from C.C., please email crosswordc@gmail.com

Her book "Sip & Solve Easy Mini Crosswords" is available on Amazon.