google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, April 16, 2024 Ricky Sirois

Advertisements

Apr 16, 2024

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 Ricky Sirois

Going Dutch:  I found a couple of theories on how the term Going Dutch came into existence.  It is believed to have entered English at the time of the eastern trade route rivalry.  England and the Netherlands fought constantly over trade routes.  The phrase to go Dutch is a a contraction of In the Dutch fashion, meaning, To pay ones share.  The phrase today is used to mean paying one's way.  Not necessarily  Splitting the Check evenly at the end of a restaurant meal, but it could be.  

18-Across. *  Game timer that may implement the Fischer method: CHESS CLOCK.

24-Across. *  Choose selectively: CHERRY PICK.

52-Across. *  Rock & Roll Hall of Fame band with the hit "The Flame": CHEAP TRICK.  [Name # 1.]

61-Across. *  Silverado, for one: CHEVY TRUCK.

And the unifier, which includes 31, 41 and 45-Across:

31-Across. With 41- and 45-Across, go Dutch, or what the answers to the starred clues do?: SPLIT.

41-Across. See 31-Across: THE. and 45-Acorss. See 31-Across: CHECK.  No circles in today's puzzle, but they weren't needed.  The word CHECK is split in each two-word theme answer with the first word beginning with CHE and the second word ending in CK.

Across:

1. Has finished making payments on: OWNS.

5. NYC cultural institution redesigned by architect Yoshio Taniguchi: MOMA.  Yoshio Taniguchi (b. 1937) is a Japanese architect.  He is best know to Americans for the re-design of the Museum oModern Art.  He was hired in 1997 to expand the Museum's space.  He is known for his fusion of traditional Japanese design with Modernist aesthetics.  [Name # 2.]


9. Made fun of: JAPED.

14. Dance for seniors: PROM.  Seniors in High School, not the retirees.


15. Dove calls: COOS.

16. Main artery: AORTA.


17. Weight adjustment button on a deli scale: TARE.

20. "Cleared for takeoff!": IT'S A GO.


22. Acorn dropper: OAK.

23. "Eureka!": AHA.

27. Wound memento: SCAR.
28. E __ elephant: AS IN.
29. Bedframe board: SLAT.

35. Sci-fi extras: ETs.  As in ExtraTerrestrials.

37. Still in contention: ALIVE.

40. Brother's daughter: NIECE.

42. The "N" of USNA: NAVAL.  As in the United States Naval Academy.


43. River mammal: OTTER.


44. Casual affirmative: YEP.

46. "No __, no fuss!": MUSS.

48. Get up: RISE.

50. Shed tears: WEEP.


58. German pronoun: ICH.  Today's German Lesson.

59. British lav: LOO.  The word “loo” is derived from the French phrase "guardez l'eau", meaning "watch out for the water!"


60. Certain Honshu resident: OSAKAN.  A person from Osaka would be called an Osakan.  Osaka is a large port city and commercial center on the Japanese island of Honshu. The city is known for its 16th-century shogunate Osaka Castle.


65. Actress Neuwirth: BEBE.  Bebe Neuwirth (née Beatrice Jane Neuwirth; b. Dec. 31, 1958) is primarily a stage actress and has won two Tony Awards.  She is probably best known to non-theater people for her role as Dr. Lilith Sternin on Cheers, where she played the wife of Dr. Frasier Crane.   She also had a recurring role in Frasier.  [Name # 3.]


66. Oscar winner Firth: COLIN.  If you watched The Middle, you know that Colin Firth (né Colin Andrew Firth; b. Sept. 10, 1960) was Frankie's favorite actor and secret crush.  [Name # 4.]

67. Back of the neck: NAPE.


68. Flake (on): BAIL.

69. Colorado ski locale: ASPEN.


70. Watery expanses: SEAS.


71. "__ it obvious?": ISN'T.

Down:
1. Related to the eye: OPTIC.


2. Ire: WRATH.

3. Like the deities Odin and Freya: NORSE.  In Norse mythology, Odin is the god of war and death.  Freya is the goddess of love, beauty, youth, and fertility.  [Name adjacent, Mythological.]

4. Makeup slip-up: SMEAR.

5. Clan that feuded with the Hatfields: McCOYS.  The Hatfield-McCoy feud revolved around two Appalachian families that apparently went on for decades and the legal issues involved ultimately ended up at the United States Supreme Court.  The actual start of the feud has been lost to history.  [Name # 5, Real.]

6. "Look, fireworks!": OOH!

7. "The Simpsons" tavern owner: MOE.  And a shout-out to our Chairman Moe.  [Name # 6, Fictional.]


8. Professional org.: ASSOC.  As in Association.

9. Tire changer's need: JACK.  Could be a name, but isn't.


10. Hotmail alternative: AOL.  As in America OLine.

11. Like someone who takes the initiative: PROACTIVE.

12. __ Sketch: art toy: ETCH-A-.


13. Capital of Senegal: DAKAR.  The official name of Senegal is the Republic of Senegal.  It is the westernmost country in continental Africa.  Dakar is a port city and the largest city in the country.


19. Fifth Avenue retailer: SAKS.  The history of Saks Fifth Avenue. [Name adjacent.]


21. Cheese gadgets: GRATERS.

25. Devoutness: PIETY.

26. Right over the plate, as a pitch: IN THERE.  Meh!

27. Egyptian soccer superstar Mohamed: SALAH.  His full name is Mohamed Salah Hamed Mahrous Ghaly (b. June 15, 1992).  In 2019, he was named as one of the 100 most influential people in Time magazine.  [Name # 7, Real.]

30. Little needles in some medical tests: LANCETS.  Also the name of a medical journal.  The Lancet, which was founded in England in 1823, is one of the oldest medical journals.


31. Hostess __ Balls: SNO.  They now come in all sorts of "fun" colors.


32. Fire place?: PIT.




33. "You shouldn't have to do it all alone": LET ME HELP.

34. Frost over: ICE UP.

36. Retro tint for photos: SEPIA.  On your smart phone, you can probably "sepia" all your photos. 


38. Rug cleaner, for short: VAC.  As in a Vacuum Cleaner.


39. Large deer in the Rockies: ELK.

47. Glaswegian, e.g.: SCOT.  [Name adjacent.]

49. Bike wheel parts: SPOKES.

50. Neopagan religion: WICCA.

51. Amazon smart speakers: ECHOS.

53. Prominent feature of a mountain goat: HORNS.

54. Religious leader in many a Chaim Potok novel: RABBI.  Chaim Potok (né Herman Harold Potok; Jan. 17, 1929 ~ July 23, 2002) is one of my favorite authors.  [Name # 8, Real.]

55. Furniture stores that sell meatballs: IKEAs.  [Name adjacent.]

56. Log home: CABIN.


57. Got down to propose: KNELT.

59. Country singer Loretta: LYNN.  Loretta Lynn (née Loretta Webb; b. Apr. 14, 1932 ~ Oct. 4, 2022) had a music career that spanned 6 decades.  The movie Coal Miner's Daughter was based on her life.  [Name # 9.]

62. Compete: VIE.

63. Abu Dhabi's fed.: UAE.  United Arab Emirates:  A federation of seven kingdoms on the Persian Gulf coast of the Arabian Peninsula, bordered to the east by Oman, the south and west by Saudi Arabia, and the northwest by Qatar.

64. Audit firm pro: CPA.  As in a Certified Public Accountant.  I bet they are glad that Tax Day is over and they can take a well-deserved vacation.

And here's the Grid:



חתולה

Passover begins with the first Seder Monday night.  Happy Passover to all who celebrate:



28 comments:

Subgenius said...

I’m trying to think of something clever to say about this puzzle but I’m drawing a blank. The only thing I can think of to say is that it was definitely at Tuesday-level difficulty. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

The Wite-Out got a rest today. Suits me. Didn't notice the theme until I went looking to see if I'd missed a reveal somewhere. Yep. Don't know why, but "split the check" evokes Vlad the Impaler. Fun diversion this morning. Thanx, Ricky and Hahtoolah. (You outdid yourself with the cartoons this morning. Really liked your Passover illustration.)

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR. Solved online for a change, because my RDS* was acting up and I went downstairs until it got better, and didn't have access to a printer. But didn't get my TADA for the longest time, until I finally figured out that I had typed "0" instead of "o" at MOMA. My pencil and paper don't care about such things.

Today is:
NATIONAL BEAN COUNTER DAY (and we have CPA as fill today! ‘Course, we get CPA about every third day…)
NATIONAL WEAR YOUR PAJAMAS TO WORK DAY (please do. One less person competing for my promotion)
NATIONAL HEALTHCARE DECISIONS DAY (I just changed plans within my HMO, and now I get $115 for groceries every month. I’m such a “working girl”)
NATIONAL EGGS BENEDICT DAY (not eggsactly the healthiest choice)
NATIONAL ORCHID DAY (the nation’s busiest airport was once called Orchard Field, AKA ORD)

Don't know much about the Hatfields v. MCCOYS, but my little home county was the site of the Rowan County War, a feud between the Tollivers and the Martins. It has a Wikipedia page if you're interested.

Thanks to Ricky for the Tuesday-easy fun. And thanks to Ha2la, but I think that your spell checker maimed your explanation of OSAKAN. (Look at ME, pointing out a mispeled word!)

* I occasionally suffer for RDS, or Restless Dog Syndrome. Last night it was brought about by a combination of thunder and construction noise. Fortunately, the lightening wasn't close enough to endanger us when she had to go out.

Anonymous said...

Took 5:15 today for me to get my chef back.
[Yeah, I should stop.]

I didn't realize Cheap Trick was in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Thanks to the perps, I didn't get to the clue for today's actress (Bebe). I wonder if I would've remembered her from "Cheers." I didn't know "japed."

Decent Tuesday puzzle, with the exception of the ugly row of German pronoun, a British lav, and a certain Honshu resident.

When my first child was born, we received a new onesie as a gift. The onesie was printed with various animals and the letter they started with: A for Alligator, B for Bumble Bee, ... and "F for Elephant." I think something was lost in translation.

KS said...

FIR. Not just an easy Tuesday puzzle, but a truly simple endeavor. The only odd part was Salah, which was totally unknown.
The theme was clever, and I got it early enough to throw down the reveal, no problem. Overall very enjoyable.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I really liked the way the reveal, Split The Check, was also split into three words and staggered for even more emphasis. The themers were strong, solid phrases and even though I didn't know Cheap Trick as a band name, it was easily parsed. Props to Patti, et al for wisely deciding against circles which, IMO, would have weakened the solving satisfaction greatly. Salah was the only other unknown but perps were fair throughout the grid. I believe this was an above average Tuesday in both cleverness of a theme/reveal and execution.

Thanks, Ricky, come back soon and thanks, Hahtoolah, for an excellent review and commentary. You outdid yourself today with so many numerous comics. I loved them all but I think the top two are the ones for Graters and Vac. And your closing TP Sons depiction is hilarious. Thanks for the time and effort you spend keeping us entertained and enlightened!

Have a great day.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Anon @ 7:34, isn't "funt" kidspeak for elephant?

Yellowrocks said...

This was even easier for me than yesterday's puzzle. The only fill new to me was SALAH, all perps, and COLIN, a male name easily wagged from a few perps. I think most Americans have heard of LOO and ICH. Dakar and OSAKA(n) required just a little familiarity with geography. I knew BEBE from Cheers. IMO, JAPED is more common in writing than in everyday conversation. It helps to be a reader. I needed the reveal to split the check.
I am well acquainted with lancets for my daily glucose check.
I like to solve my puzzle in the Bistro here over coffee so I print it out. I don't like solving on my phone. Some early mornings my internet signal is spotty which messes up my printer. Even when the signal steadies, the printer remains dysfunctional. I have to turn off the router, the computer and printer, turn them back on, and then wait for 15 minutes or so for the system to recover. GRR! Thankfully, most days there is no problem.
The paperwork for all three of my volunteer positions was very heavy this week while I have sinusitis. The antibiotic the doc prescribed didn't help like it usually does. This must have been viral. Finally today I am almost back to full steam ahead.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Thanks Ricky for the puzzle. You had me at CHESS CLOCK.

Wonderful comics (and expo) today, Hahtoolah. Thanks so much for putting a smile on my Tuesdays.
Also, thanks for parsing 26d. I wanted IN THE zone or somesuch. IN THE RE made absolutely no sense. #V8Slap

WO: started ocular @1d (has D-O ever said...)
ESPs: SALAH, COLIN
Fav: CHEAP TRICK

Which reminds me, thanks for NOT embedding The Flame (I hate "power ballad"s). Instead, what about Surrender? [lyrics here].

Enjoyed reading y'all but... Gotta run. I'm leading the next meeting.
Cheers, -T

RosE said...

Good Morning! Nice puzzle & clever theme. Thanks, Ricky.

JAPED doesn’t sound like a nice word, but then making fun of someone isn’t either.

I never saw SALAN, all perps, but I wouldn’t have gotten it any other way.

Jinx, I had a chuckle and fond memory of your RDS. Been there!

Thanks, Hah2Lah. You put the fun into Tuesday. Happy Passover to you.

Parsan said...

Clever puzzle, RS and thank you for the informative and funny cartoons, Hahtoolah.

I like to put in answers without reading crossing clues just to see if they are correct. Todays errors — beard/HORNS, irate/WRATH, godlyNORSE. In many schools juniors also have a PROM. ISN’T ASSN more commonly used than ASSOC?

Remembered CHEAP TRICK but did not know SALAH (Salam, Salah?). My NIECE has a son at the NAVAL Academy.

A fun Tuesday!

Happy day, all!


Charlie Echo said...

Slipped through this one even quicker than yesterday. Had to get to Ha2la's recap, on which I spent more time than I did on the puzzle! Great 'toons, loved the crop circle explanation.

Monkey said...

Nice, easy puzzle today. I enjoyed the solve.

The only unknown was SALAH, and apparently I’m not the only one not knowing that name. That makes me wonder how TIME magazine could have listed him among the 100 most influential people.

I used to enjoy BEBE’s performance in CHEERS and FRASIER.

Hahtoolah thanks for all the fun and info. I loved the TP sons.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A glorious rain cancelled golf for today
-What a fun gimmick. Getting “SPLIT THE CHECK” early in a meal can lessen or increase tension
-One airline is asking passengers to be weighed before takeoff
-20 of the 30 NBA teams are still ALIVE for the playoffs starting Sunday
-These playoffs will have a hard time beating the NCAA Women’s Basketball ratings
-In Spanish, gato is the word for a car JACK and a cat
-Umps like Angel Hernandez may be a reason robots will soon say if a pitch is IN THERE
-ICH was never more powerful
-I might have put a Mickey Mantle rookie card in my SPOKES
-Fun write-up Hahtoolah with a hilarious finish!

Tehachapi Ken said...

Ricky produced a straightforward puzzle appropriate for Tuesday. The NE got slightly crunchy with answers like JAPED and SALAH, but helpful perps were never far away to save the day.

Ricky, good job, and I hope we see you again soon!

CrossEyedDave said...

Chess clock reminded me of Netflix's The Queens Gambit. Not only an enjoyable binge watch, it will get you thinking.
(About all sorts of things.)

It even made me look into Chess again. If you want to play, you're need to know things like The Queens Gambit, 3:00. and many many other pitfalls and traps in just getting a chess game started.

In the spirit of "split the check,". can you explain this confusing scenario?

CrossEyedDave said...

HG @ 10:25

I dunno,,,

I don't want to start a brewhaha, and I don't give a diddly about baseball...

But all this guy keeps griping about is where the catcher caught the ball!

Where he caught the ball is not where the ball passed over the plate.
It looks like 3 perfect bag edge tips to me...(as the ball curved across the plate...)

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends. Jinx, you certainly have your eagle eyes on today's puzzle. I think I corrected the error, but with this high-tech spellchecker, who knows!


QOD: Without lies, humanity would perish of despair and boredom. ~ Anatole France (né François-Anatole Thibault; Apr. 16, 1844 ~ Oct. 12, 1924), recipient of the 1921 Nobel Prize in Literature

desper-otto said...

Husker, after getting $3 back, they'd each paid $9 for a total of $27. The hotel got $25 for the room, and the bellboy got $2, for a total of $27.

desper-otto said...

Oops, should'a addressed my comment to CED, not Husker.

Lucina said...

Hola!

It's a terrific Tuesday puzzle thanks to Ricky Sirois! I don't recall seeing that constructor before today.

MOMA recalls one of my visits to New York and a tour through the museum. We also went to the Guggenheim Museum.

SALAH is completely foreign and unknown to me.

Now, COLIN FIRTH is well known and one on whom I've had a crush since I first saw him many years ago.

One of my NIECEs graduated from the NAVAL Academy in Chicago and she had a short career in the Navy.

BEBE Neuwirth was spectacular in "Chicago"; my daughter and I saw her there when we visited New York for her 20th birthday which was in 1997.

Thank you, Hahtoolah, for the fun and the entertaining cartoons!

Have wonderful day, everyone!

NaomiZ said...

One of the things I liked about today's puzzle was that filling in the reveal answers helped me see the split check in the first two theme entries, and reproduce the split in the second two theme entries to help solve them. Nicely done.

DNK BEBE (should have) or SALAH (not my bailiwick), but FIR and liked it.

Hahtoolah, the illustration of the four sons (who are discussed at the Passover seder) was wonderful. I'll have to share it with my RABBI.

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Ricky and Hahtoolah.
I FIRed and saw the theme. Like Naomi,the reveal in the middle allowed me to go back and see the CHE - CK split, and also fill those in for the last two themers. No circles needed.
But this Canadian must remind you that we spell the bank document as Cheque not CHECK (that word is reserved for either examining or slowing down something).

Hand up for not knowing SALAH, but perps were fair.
Yea changed to YEP.
My first thought at those fireworks was Wow, but OOH fit.
I debated between a K or P until PROACTIVE gave JAPED.

I noted OOH, LOO and COOS.

Wishing you all a great day.

Misty said...

Delightful Tuesday puzzle, many thanks, Ricky. And always enjoy your cartoons and commentary, Hahtoolah, thanks for those too.

Well, looking over this puzzle, a story sort of popped up out of the words. It started out with a couple at a PROM, sharing smiles and COOS, and deciding IT'S A GO and time to get married. But before long all sorts of problems and conflicts arose, and there was WRATH and anger that eventually produced a SCAR, and even some blood from the AORTA, and made them WEEP, and the couple had to SPLIT. But fortunately someone said LET ME HELP, and it turned out to be a RABBI who taught them to pray and resume their PIETY. They KNELT and then did RISE and were able to resume a much happier marriage in the next phase of their LIVEs.

Have a great day, everybody.

unclefred said...

fun Tuesday level CW that I (HEAVENS!!) actually saw the theme. I did FIR, but both yesterday and today were slow solves. I hope it's just a couple days of not being very sharp, and not the onset of dementia. Part of my slow solves may be my worsening eyesight, but I worry when I can't think of something that I should know. Anyway, thanx RS for the clever and fun CW. Thanx Hahtoolah for the as always fun write-up. So many grins today from the cartoons. I especially liked the Etch-A-Sketch cartoon.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

pretty good prose today, Misty. Thanks for the giggle.


I know we aren't supposed to discuss politics, but I just have to get this off my chest.

Cheap Trick is in the HOF, but Boston, REO Speedwagon, Grand Funk Railroad, Alabama, .38 Special and Steppenwolf aren't? That's like inducting Mario Mendoza into the MLB Hall, but leaving out the Cincinnati Reds #14.

Jayce said...

Cool puzzle. Like -T, I couldn't figure out what IN THE RE meant.

I learned that JAPE can also be a verb. I also learned the interesting origin of the word "LOO".

I'm too lazy to look up what the Fischer method is.

I laughed out loud when you wrote "split the check" evokes Vlad the Impaler, desper-otto.

I used to work for a boss who would often BAIL on us. One of his favorite sentences was "You're on your own now."

One of my favorite cheeses (there are many) is Monterey JACK. Also "Colby-Jack" which is a blend of Colby cheddar and Monterey jack. My wife often uses the word when she notices how the stores have "jacked up the prices" so much.

Interesting that a person from Osaka would be called an Osakan, a person from Glasgow would be called a Glaswegian, and a person from Manchester would be called a Mancunian. And yes, a resident of Frankfurt, Germany, is called a Frankfurter.

Good reading you all.

sumdaze said...

Thanks, Ricky! I liked your SPLIT THE CHECK theme.
FAVs Makeup slip-up and CHERRY PICK.

JAPED is new to me.
Hand up for wondering about IN THE RE

Thank you, Hahtoolah, for all the info. & fun!
FAVs: Etch-a-sketch and Dog Halloween costume comics

Jinx@7:05. I've had that zero/letter o thing happen to me, too. Haha!