Husker Gary at the humpday helm today and as you can see below in the grid the homonyms for TO, FOUR, WON, SAIL and GOODBYES are employed to make the marketing slogan you see here at the right. How cool is that? Uh, it took me a while to see it. You?
20. *More than is wise : TO (TWO) A FAULT - C'mon that's funny!
36. *Dominated the election : WON (ONE) BY A LANDSLIDE - Attributed to Joe Kennedy when he was backing JFK's presidential race
44. *Complete with ease - SALE (SAIL) THROUGH - She did!
54. Farewells ... or, homophonically and read top to bottom, what the first words of the answers to starred clues represent? : GOOD BYES
BTW, I got this TWO FOR ONE SALE - GOOD BUY last month and they are great:
Watt ells does Ed half four us two day:
1. See 1-Down : FOOD paired with 1. With 1-Across, Whoppers and McRibs, e.g. : FAST for a clever start in the NW corner!
5. Risk taker : DARER
10. Minimally : A TAD
14. He sang about Alice : ARLO - He sang about Alice for over 18 minutes
15. Ooze with : EXUDE
16. Bond's first movie foe : DR NO - You mean someone other than Ursula Andress was in that movie?
18. Lavin of "Alice" : LINDA
19. Water retainer : DIKE
22. River racers : SCULLS
24. Rose of Guns N' Roses : AXL
25. Poetic pair : COUPLET - How many times have you read these wonderful couplets to a child?
31. "__ to leap tall buildings ... " : ABLE - ...or FROM a tall building
32. "David Copperfield" villain : HEEP
33. Cain, to Abel, informally : SIB(ling)
41. Teachers' org. : NEA
43. Working hard : AT IT
48. Descends, as a rock wall RAPPELS - I'm not sure I have courage ENOW to give this a go
52. Fluke-to-be : ROE - Baby fluke eggs
53. Worried : UNEASY
59. Fly in the ointment : SNAG
60. Fly-fishing catch : TROUT - A trout going after that fly
63. Floor piece : TILE
64. "Maybe, just maybe" : I HOPE
65. Big name in furniture : IKEA
66. Clairvoyant : SEER - And now, the great SEER, soothsayer, and sage, Carnac.... the Magnificent. Johnny often called the question to this answer the funniest bit he ever did in this character. That question to this answer is at the bottom of this write-up.
67. Got by : COPED
68. See 58-Down : PENN with 58. With 68-Across, "Milk" Oscar winner : SEAN
2. Embossed cookie : OREO - Another clue for the ubiquitous OREO
3. Southwestern clay pot : OLLA
4. Remove respectfully : DOFF - Dr. Suess had a Hat DOFFING Cat as well as tales of Green Eggs and Ham
5. First-class : DELUXE
6. Armpit : AXILLA - Hey, don't look at me, I didn't know either! :-)
7. Squirt : RUNT
8. Teacher's deg. : EDD - Doctor of Education degree - usually seen as EdD.
9. Thought (out) : REASONED
10. Make sense : ADD UP
11. Composer's embellishment : TRILL - Do you have any problems with National Antems sang with "Triplets, quintuplets, mordents, TRILLS, turns, six-note slides and grace notes?"
13. Biblical verb : DOEST - Perhaps thou DOEST but shouldst thou?
21. Toy inserts usually not included : AA'S - Batteries
23. Crescent points : CUSPS
25. Either "The Man Who Wasn't There" director : COEN - My favorite COEN brothers' movie is Fargo
26. Doe's dear : FAWN
27. Wind in a pit : OBOE
28. Arm bone : ULNA - About 12" below your AXILLA
29. Bull Run soldier : REB - Johnny REB showed this would not be a quick war
30. Over-the-shoulder garb : SHAWL
33. In __: as placed : SITU
34. "Understood," in hippie-speak : I DIG
35. "Little Women" sister : BETH
37. Verbal nods : YESES
39. "The Giver" novelist Lowry : LOIS - What? Ed didn't use Superman's girl friend here?
40. Thai language : LAO - Everyone knows hello is ສະບາຍດີ
45. Entertainers on the road : TROUPE
46. Partner of hollered : HOOTED
47. Wine choice : RED
48. Reddish-brown colors : RUSTS
49. Singer Lennox : ANNIE - One reviewer's list of ANNIE'S Top 10 songs omitted my favorite - Sweet Dreams
50. "Positive thinking" advocate : PEALE
51. "Your table's ready" signaler : PAGER
54. Sticky stuff : GOOP
55. Radar dot : BLIP
56. Team connection : YOKE - A YOKED means of crossing Nebraska before I-80
57. All tied up : EVEN
61. Letter after pi : RHO
Carnac answer/question: The answer is "Sis, Boom, Bah". And the question is "What sound does an exploding sheep make?"
Weed luv four ewe two comment:
Note from C. C.:
Happy Birthday to dear Skip (Hondo on the blog), who is a huge fan of UConn women's Basketball. Skip is also an expert on vintage sports cards & attends shows often on weekends.
|Left to right: Marti, Dudley, Hondo & Montana (Sept 2013)|| |