google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday, April 6, 2008 Willy A. Wiseman

Advertisements

Apr 6, 2008

Sunday, April 6, 2008 Willy A. Wiseman

Theme: FULL CALENDAR (Pls let me know if you spot any mistake)

110A: Kevin Kline movie, with "The": JANUARY MAN

89A: Groundhog Day: FEBRUARY SECOND

1A: Step in step: MARCH

33D: Annual fall: APRIL SHOWERS

129A: Chicken Itza man: MAYAN

57A: Followup to 33D: JUNE WEDDING

23A: Summer holiday: JULY FOURTH

44D: "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" playwright: AUGUST WILSON

110A: 1980 Neil Diamond hit: SEPTEMBER MORN

79A: German-American celebration: OCTOBER FEST

48A: Walt Whitman work: NOVEMBER BOUGHS

29A: Spring Byington's TV classic: DECEMBER BRIDE

First of all, I love Sade the beautiful singer, not Sade the sadistic writer. I don't enjoy being tortured. But I was put through a waterboading this morning. It's excruciating! I am certain that some of you will breeze through the puzzle without encountering any bad weather. But for me, it was a stormy and turbulent sailing experience. Oodles of unknown terms like OLEIC, ELASTIN, TETRYL, IATRO. Loads of films, songs, singers, playwright I've never heard of. In fact, I don't remember I've ever spent such an unendurably long time flirting with Google. Painful!

Maybe I should not try Sunday puzzle. It frustrates me and robs me of the precious confidence I've built up during the weekdays. The amount of new information is simply too overwhelming.

I was flustered and paralyzed from the very beginning 1D: Fastfood position (McJOB). I've never, ever heard of this slang. I guess I could've taken a wild stab if 18A: SHANKS (CRURA) was an easily obtainable answer. Alas, it was formidably flinty. I pictured all kinds of shanks in my brain, including the shank shot that hit my right ankle by a stupid golfer. Ouch! Could not think of anything, so I limped away.

I actually figured out the theme very quickly, immediately after I got Y from 4D: Shed Tears (CRY). That enabled me to fill in the beginning MONTH part a few long across theme entries. But, what followed the months (Jan, Sept, Nov. & Dec, Nov) were impenetrable. The down clues were of no help, in fact, they only added to my miseries.

Besides, I self-inflicted myself with some near-fatal wounds. Take 66A: Manufactured baloney? (LIED) for example. I was hellbent to fill in LIES. I wanted a noun and I would not consider any other choice. Then 43D (Mathematical figures of earth) became GEOISS. I checked all the dictionary sources, and could not find any evidence to validate my fill. However, I convinced myself somehow that GEOISS was correct. I thought it was probably another made-up ATIP word by Wiseman (asa as our Editor Williams). So I decided to hammer in this last nail GEOISS on the puzzle and call it a success. Only realized that I was wrong when I tried to type in LIED for the blog entry. Stupid!

Now looking back at this puzzle, it is pretty elegant. It's not an easy task to pull off these 12-month feat in one grid. My only gripe is about the lower right corner. LEMAY (107D) and MAYAN (129A) should not have crossed each other that way. It looks very awkward to me. Besides, the month MAY could've been constructed as an independent entry (just like every other month) rather than embedded in another word.

Some of today's clues are very clever, esp those with question marks. The best is 100A: Roman Crowd?: III (Roman number three. Two's a company, Three's a crowd). Very refreshing.

Grid (21*21): Total letters filled: 369. Total blank squares: 72

Across entries:

6A: Ancient Greek portico: STOA. Plural can be STOAS, or STOAE. OK, Ancient Greek Mall: AGORA, AGORAE. Ancient Greek concert hall: ODEUM, ODEUMS or ODEA.

10A: Bub: FELLA

15A: Lowly NCO: CPL (Corporal)

18A: Shanks: CRURA. Singular form is CRUS.

19A: Greek crosses: TAUS. Greek letter T.

20A: Trojan War epic: ILIAD

21A: American Omegas: ZEES. Omega is the last letter of Greek alphabet.

25A: Stallone persona: RAMBO

26A: Asian inland sea: ARAL. Saw it clued as "Shrinking Asian Sea" before.

27A: Eng. honor: OBE (Order of British Empire). Thought Tina Brown received an OBE. Wrong. She received a CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire), which is higher than OBE.

32A: Theda of silents: BARA. Not familiar with this name. Interesting, Wikipedia says her name is an anagram of "Arab Death". No wonder she was cast as "Cleopatra".

34A: Sparta site: LACONIA

37A: Like a little Glaswegian: WEE. How so? Doesn't Wee also mean "a little bit" in American English?.

38A: Fraction of a rupee: PAISA. Well, I suppose if you are from Indian or Pakistan, this is a gimme for you. I have no idea.

40A: Pass slowly: DRAG

43A: "I Can't Make You Love Me" singer: RAITT. Not familiar with the song.

45A: Actor McGavin: DARREN. Nope. Another stranger.

53A: Acid in soap: OLEIC. No idea. Totally beyond my ken.

55A: Pigeon talk: COOING. Could've, should've got this one, but I did not. I was thinking a real noun, not a fake ING verb-noun.

56A: Window part: SILL. Put PANE first of course.

60A: Various functions: USES

64A: Collected: AMASSED. 2 other SS in today's puzzle: UMASS, PUSS.

66A: Manufactured baloney?: LIED. Couldn't believe that I was snagged here for so long.

67A: Refuges: ASYLA. Plural of Asylum. An insanely difficult answer for a simple clue.

68A: 1977-to-2005 Missouri congressman: GEPHARDT (Dick). Shouldn't the c in Congressman should be capitalized? Or is it just another Obama Democrat/democrat thing? My husband likes Gephardt a lot. Me, lukewarm toward him.

70A: Lively dance: JIG

71A: Ghostly: SPECTRAL

74A: CNN correspondent David: ENSOR. I tend to confuse him with Jamie McIntyre (CNN Pentagon reporter). They don't even look alike.

75A: Coup d'_: ETAT. I want Zimbabwe army to have a Coup d'ETAT, NOW. Mugabe has to go.

77A: Remove snarls: UNTWIST. Sounds good to me, though I've never used this word before.

78A: Goulash or slumgullion: STEW. Slumgullion sounds so unappealing to me. Slum...

84A: Former Peruvian currency: INTI. The insanity goes on! Had_ _ _ I sitting there for over 30 minutes.

85A: Slope of a rampart: ESCARP. Nope. It's "a steep artificial slope in front of a fortification''.. Derived from French "escarper" (to cut).

87A: St. Louis bridge: EADS. Vaguely heard of it.

88A: City in Scotland or Illinois: ELGIN

94A: Barrymore film, "__ Lupin": ARSÈNE. No idea.

95A: New England sch. UMASS (University of Massachusetts)

96A: Vega's constellation: LYRA

97A: Medical: pref.: IATRO. Big stumper for me. I have IATROPHOBIA. I am skeptical of most of the doctors who try to foist new medicines/procedures on patients. US Health Care system, in Dennis' military term, is totally FUBAR (Fouled up beyond all recognition). Oh, by the way, "Iatro" is a Greek word, meaning physician. Here is an example: IATROGENIC: "a disease or problem caused, or made worse by a physician, surgeon or by medical treatment or diagnostic procedures."

99A: Snoop: SPY

103A: Graphite removers: ERASERS

106A: Workers' rights. grp.: NLRB (National Labor Relations Board)

114A: Ref. set: OED (Oxford English Dictionary)

117A: Switch addition?: EROO (Switcheroo).

118A: Very, in music: ASSAI. Allegro assai is very quick.

122A: Alphabetize: SORT

124A: Saucers without cups?: UFOS. Good clue too.

125A: Noted violin maker: AMATI. Or STRAD (AMATI's student)

127A: Insinuating: SNIDE

128A: Stock shade: NUDE

Down clues:

1D: Fastfood position: McJOB. Slang for "a low-paying, low-prestige job that requires few skills and offers very little chance of intracompany advancement". Is it a gimme for you?

2D: Orangjestad's land: ARUBA

3D: Sovereign: RULER

5D: Weapon handle: HAFT

6D: Buddhist shrines: STUPAS. Did not know this word. I only knew PAGODAS. What's the difference between these two? (Update from drdad: Stupa is a mound like structure containing relics of Guatama Buddha (founder of Buddhism). Pagoda is a tiered tower found in may parts of Asia and also commonly dealing with Buddhism. I guess the mound vs. the tower is the key.)

8D: Better: OUTDO

10D: Gun: FIREARM

11D: NFL kicker Jason: ELAM

12D: Tree branch: LIMB

13D: Tag: LABEL

15D: Russian ruler: CZAR. No!! It's "Former Russian ruler". Right now, Putin is the man, as he has been since 1999, at least, until May 2008. Secondly, there should be a "Variant" mark besides the clue, as TSAR is more common.

16D: Hairpiece: PERIWIG

17D: "He __ me beside the still waters": LEADETH

24D: Singer K. T. __: OSLIN. Nope, no memory of this singer at all. Here is more information about her.

30D: Killing: suff: CIDE (Homicide, e. g.)

35D: Religious law: CANON

39D: NRC forerunner: AEC (Atomic Energy Commission). NRC is Nuclear Regulatory Commison.

41D: First letters: ABCDE

42D: Mathematical figures of Earth: GEOIDS. Another stumper. It's "an imaginary surface that coincides with mean sea level in the ocean and its extension through the continents.". "Geo" is earth earth obviously, "oid" means "like", as in ellipsoid. Factoid has the same root I think. OK, so the adjective for "Geoid" is a "Geoidal".

45D: Medicinal quantities: DOSAGES

46D: Sustenance: ALIMENT. A new word for me. But ALIMENT looks like something stunting rather than nourishing. Maybe because of AILMENT? Spelling is almost the same.

47D: Blackslide: RELAPSE. So easy to go astray in life.

51D: Silver or Wood: RON. I made a blind-squirrel guess and RON happened to the right acorn.

52D: Expansive: BIG

54D: Melville novel: "Billy __": BUDD

57D: O. T. book: JER (Jeremiah)

58D: High society: ELITE. I like of like "High Society" the movie. It's the only Bing Crosby work I've seen.

61D: Shot putter?: SYRINGE. Another stumper. I misread the clue as "Short Putter"?. So I was walking on the green of "Yip" and "Gimme", all those golf terms. When I realized it's "Shot", I marveled at the cleverness of the clue. Hope you did not go to the "Shot Put" the athletics term. But you doctor/nurse INJECTS shot, NOT puts shot into your body, don't they?

62D: Ligament substance: ELASTIN. No idea. It's " a protein constituting the basic substance of elastic tissue.".

63D: Type of cracker: SALTINE

65D: Patriotic men's org: SAR (Sons of the American Revolution). DAR is Daughters of American Revolution.

67D: Do one's part?: ACT. Act one's role. In fact, the clue is sufficient without the question mark, don't you agree?

69D: Detonator stuff: TETRYL. No idea. I was exploded at this point of my solving. The suffix "YL" looks so crazy. Oh, "yl" is a suffix used to "form the chemical names of organic compounds when they are radicals (parts of larger compounds), such as ethyl and phenyl." Who cares!

70D: Straight punch: JAB

72D: Mug or kisser: PUSS

73D: Tolkien tree: ENT. Tolkien baddie is ORC. That's all I know. Somehow "Lord of the Ring" has never caught my fancy.

76D: Electrocuted elephant: TOPSY. Was not aware of this event. A bit disturbing to me.

79D: Andean tuber: OCA. It looks like this.

82D: Wind machine: FAN. Should have a question mark after this clue I think.

83D: Jockey Arcaro: EDDIE. The Master of Triple Crown!

86D: "Calvin and Hobbes" girl: SUSIE. Another stranger. But it's inferable.

89D: Botherations: FUSSES. Does the word "bothers" bother you, Editor? Why bent so far for "Botherations"?

90D: Kind of penguin: EMPEROR

91D: Long Island hamlet: BAYPORT

92D: Recluse: EREMITE

93D: Dear Italian: CARO. OK, so it's "Dear" in Italian: mia caro, mia cara. Same with French mon chéri, ma chérie. Want to learn a bit Chinese? It's "Qin Ai De" ("亲爱的"). And it does not have femininity or masculinity difference.

101D: Mosque officials: IMAMS. I tend to confuse Somalia Supermodel IMAN with this IMAM.

102D: "Peer Gynt" dramatist: IBSEN. Got it this time.

104D: Indian golfer Atwal: ARJUN. Nope, not familiar with him. He spent way too long at the Asian/European Tour I suppose.

105D: Military muddle: SNAFU (Situation Normal, All Fouled UP). This word brings smile to my face. I remember I was very shocked when Dennis first explained the sanitized version of SNAFU on a March puzzle.

107D: Wallace's 1968 running mate: LeMAY (Curtis). A total stranger to me. But who can remember a vice presidential candidate's name? LeMay, hmm, not a familiar surname to me at all. He had to have some French heritage I suppose.

108D: Rodeo rope: REATA

109D: Nigeria's neighbor: BENIN. Porto Novo is Benin's Capital. I don't think any other Capital City in this world has 4 Os in its name.

112D: Actor Morales: ESAI. Enough said about this NYPD Blues guy.

114D: "Atlas Shrugged" author: RAND (Ayn). That's why it's so hard to parse what on earth Greenspan tried to say. He was way too influenced by RAND. So was Mark Cuban, who had a crush on Rand and her "The Fountainhead".

115D: Whiskey shot: DRAM

120D: Land of sleep: NOD. Land of NOD, the "mythical land of sleep".

121D: Singer Sumac: YMA.

C.C.

13 comments:

Dr. Dad said...

Good morning. Took me about 50 minutes with only a little bit of goodling. Most of that was to see if my guesses were correct and they were.

Stupa is a mound like structure containing relics of Guatama Buddha (founder of Buddhism). Pagoda is a tiered tower found in may parts of Asia and also commonly dealing with Buddhism. I guess the mound vs. the tower is the key.

Knew tetryl just like TNT because I am a chemist as well. Not as good at sales and marketing as many comments in yesterday's blog corrected me on my answer as to whether or not marketed could mean sold.

Don't like botherations either but it is a word.

Reata was spelled with the E this time around.

Somewhat of a struggle today (mostly checking to see if the words I had were actually correct).

C.C. don't give up on Sunday crosswords. Sometimes the frustrations are what make them fun!

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Good morning drdad,
I've added what you wrote about the difference between Stupa/Pagoda on the blog entry today. Thank you.

TETRYL is structured very wickedly. If you do not know GEPHARDT & ESCARP & LYRA, there is no way you can work it out. Thought almost every one of "?" clue was very good today.

I think out of all of the Sunday puzzles, the only one I really enjoyed was the Play Ball puzzle on March 23. All of the others are pure miseries.

Did you notice a very different style of this puzzle with Wiseman's other puzzles we've done in the past 2 months?

Anonymous said...

Today's puzzle was a stinker. Thanks to Google and this blog for help.
congressman is capitalized if used as a title. For ex.: Congressman Dick Gephardt. It was used correctly in the clue as it was not a title.
McMansions (referring to the huge homes built in America) is another example of how McDonald's has insinuated itself into our culture.

NYTAnonimo said...

Did you ever find the Sunday puzzle online c.c.? Did you try the online jumble? Hope you're enjoying the weekend!

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

i'vebeentominot,
Good to see you back. Haven't seen you for a while.

Thanks for the Congressman explanation. McMansion is a new word to me. It looks pretty crossword-friendly to me.

nytanonimo,
I've done some basic research and found that TMS Sunday is not available online anywhere. I assume that Williams is saving them for his annual Sunday crossword puzzle book.

I think you can subscribe to Chicago Tribune Sunday paper if you want to do the Sunday puzzle.

Will try Jumble tomorrow afternoon.

Dick said...

Hello cc and others. Guess Dennis is on his way home from Florida as I did not see any comments from him. This one had me stumped for awhile but the theme words were easily recognizable and put in place quickly. I also had problems with many of the same words that you included in your introduction today. I did know Lemay and he and Wallace were both rabble rouser's in the 60's. So much for today's puzzle. I am going to rest my brain for awhile and look forward to Mondays puzzle. See you Monday.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Dick,
I've also replied to your earlier comment on the Saturday puzzle (Thurible).

Dennis does not get Sunday TMS crossword on his newspaper. The majority of the solvers here only get Monday-Friday.

sallyjane said...

This was the first Sunday puzzle in quite a while to give me trouble. I figured out the theme right away with 23A. JULYFOURTH, but it didn't keep me from having a lot of fits and starts. Lots of erasing!

18A. CRURA - Never heard of it. Put it in only because I guessed 2D.ARUBA, which turned out to be correct.

15D. CZAR - Actually, C.C., I used to see this spelled with the CZ far more often than the TS until maybe the last 10 years or so.

56A. SILL - Had PANE, then SASH, then PANE again until 47D. RELAPSE finally worked its way into my brain.

64A. AMASSED - Kept HOARDED there too long.

The rest worked out fairly well until I tried to finish the right center. Had no idea who wrote "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" and finally had to Google it. Knew it was August somebody, but didn't have a clue.

107D. LEMAY - I remember Wallace's campaign well. He was shot in Laurel MD, not too awfully far from where I grew up.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend. Rainy and gray here in MN.

Dick said...

cc in response to your question Saturday yes I do get the NY Times puzzle and also one in the local paper. I do not know where the local puzzle comes from.

Dr. Dad said...

I'm still working on the authors and their themes and styles. Didn't notice any of it until you pointed it out to me a few blogs ago when you predicted the next author of the puzzle.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

sallyjane,
Finally a stumper for you!! I am so gleeful to hear it.

Dick,
Have you called your local editor yet? They should provide you with the source of the puzzle as well as the author.

drdad,
If you click on the author LABELS button under the Comments on my daily entry, you will see all the puzzles done by this particular author since Jan 21, 2008.

Anonymous said...

46D reminds me of Holmes' answer to the question "of what bodily system is the stomach a part?"

Anonymous said...

hated this one

lots of fairly obscure names and items
and mcjob?

puhlease.