google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday January 29, 2017 Robyn Weintraub

Advertisements

Jan 29, 2017

Sunday January 29, 2017 Robyn Weintraub

Theme:  "Nowhere"- Parse it as No W Here. W is removed from each theme entry.

23A. Black kitten crossing your path? : LITTLE WOMEN. Little Women.

34A. Transgressions timeline? : THE WAGES OF SIN. The wages of sin. Not a familiar phrase to me.

49A. Matching food containers? : IDENTICAL TWINS. Identical twins.

64A. New England proceedings concerning allergic reactions? : SALEM WITCH TRIALS. Salem Witch Trials.

86A. Cheating millionaire? : WHEEL OF FORTUNE. Wheel of Fortune.

99A. Tony Soprano's quilt? : DOWN COMFORTER. Down comforter.

14A. Wrigley's in-house hip-hop group? : GUM WRAPPERS. Gum wrapper. 

There are no stray W's in this whole grid. Very nice.

I think this is Robyn Weintraub's first Sunday puzzle. Congratulations, Robyn! It's a beauty. Only 138 words. No cheater squares. In a grid like this, you'd expect a few obscure abbrs or boring EST/ER ending fill, but all her long fill (8+) shine, some intersect or parallel another long fill, or both. Just amazing.

Across:    

1. Where there's smoke : FLUE. Not FIRE.

5. Happy, in Juárez : FELIZ. Happy Año Nuevo! Any of you were born in the Year of the Rooster? (1921, 1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981, 1993, 2005...). This site says "Rooster is almost the epitome of fidelity and punctuality." True for Argyle (1945), who's a Rooster.

10. They go with the flow : RAFTS. Nice clue.

15. Misplace : LOSE

19. Ninth Greek letter : IOTA. I used to have a cheat sheet.

20. Girl who obeyed 4-Down : ALICE. And 4. Fictional words written in currants : EAT ME

21. Courtier in "Hamlet" : OSRIC

22. Gem for some Libras : OPAL. I'm not into this birthstone thing.

25. Wedding registry category : CHINA

26. Old TV knob : VERT. Don't feel TV is enough of an Abbr. hint.

27. Aftershock : TREMOR

28. Exhilarating : BRISK

30. Princess Peach creator : NINTENDO. Needed crossing help.

32. Words often etched in stone : HERE LIES

36. Villain Luthor : LEX

37. "Boston Legal" co-star : SHATNER (William)

38. Name change indicator : NEE

39. It's done in Paris : FINI

43. Superfund agcy. : EPA

45. Clears : RIDS

46. Bad-mouthed : DISSED

53. Summer getaway : COTTAGE. Nice and quiet.


54. Worked one's fingers to the bone : SLAVED

55. One may be jam-packed : JAR. So simple in retrospect.

56. Angler's shout : GOT ONE. Also 39. 56-Across object : FISH. We used to catch carp in the small lake near our home. Carp is a popular dish in Asia. We steam it. Then sprinkle with slices of green onions & ginger, which are marinated in a sweet soy sauce.

58. Dept. head : MGR

59. Straight : HETERO

60. Biblical prophet : AMOS. Got via crosses.

62. Medium power? : ESP

63. It feels like forever : AEON

69. Indication to stop playing : REST. Musical rest.

72. Letters for 94-Across : AKA. 94. Crook's creations : ALIASES
 
73. Get the message : HEAR

74. Brand whose ads feature alpenhorns : RICOLA

78. Pipe plastic : PVC

79. Arms treaty subjects, briefly : N-TESTs

82. 2001 boxing biopic : ALI

83. Went on and on : DRONED

84. Places for reflection : MIRRORS. This clue makes me smile.
 
89. Doc's pal : SLEEPY. Seven Dwarfs. Same letter count as SNEEZY.

90. Kings, e.g. : BEDS

91. TV's "Science Guy" : NYE

92. Go across : SPAN

93. Canal site : EAR

96. Gardner of old Hollywood : AVA
 
102. Emergency supplies delivery point : DROP ZONE. Followed by another 8: 107. Area of severe industrial decline : RUST BELT

108. Brainless : INANE

110. Like typical laundromats : COIN-OP

111. First century Roman emperor : OTHO. Newbies probably want OTTO. 

112. When "eye of newt" is mentioned in "Macbeth" : ACT IV
 
116. It could be fishy : ODOR

117. Feudal lord : LIEGE

118. Two-time N.L. batting champ Lefty : O'DOUL. Way before my time. There's another Lefty in baseball. Lefty Grove. Pitcher.


119. __ facto : IPSO

120. Nursery stock : POTS
 
121. Fountain fare : SODAS

122. Tweeting locales : NESTS. We also have 7. Branches : LIMBS

123. IRS agents : T-MEN

Down:

1. Laundry challenge : FILTH. Not STAIN or GRIME.

2. Chateau-dotted valley : LOIRE


3. Consummate : UTTER

5. Spenser's "The __ Queene" : FAERIE

6. "Don't Bring Me Down" gp. : ELO

8. Bakery artist : ICER

9. Apex : ZENITH

10. Speeding : ROCKETING. Never used the verb form of ROCKET.

11. Camel debris : ASH. Not the desert animal.

12. Peripheries : FRINGES

13. Even smaller : TINIER

14. Digitizes, in a way : SCANS

15. Affectionate celebration : LOVEFEST

16. "Let me in," facetiously : OPEN SESAME. Two gorgeous entries side by side.

17. Restaurateur with an honorary Tony : SARDI (Vincent). Unaware of this fact, though I do know Sardi's is the birthplace of Tony Awards.

18. "The Lion King" co-composer John : ELTON

24. Lounge about : LOLL

29. Puppeteer Lewis : SHARI

31. Marquee time : TONITE. Also got via crosses.

33. Biz bigwig : EXEC

35. Conclusion beginning : AND SO

37. Hero material? : SALAMI. Think of Sandwich whenever you see Hero with a ?


40. Frivolous : IDLE

41. Like a pin? : NEAT

42. Get some Intel, say : INVEST. Intel stock. Also 44. Undercover attire? : PAJAMAS. Two great clues.

46. Longtime "SNL" announcer : DON PARDO. Not often we see his full name.

47. Freezer aisle breakfast brand : EGGO

48. "Jurassic Park" co-star : DERN (Laura)

50. Prefix with hertz : TERA

51. Blind reverence : IDOLATRY. Banned in Islam. But so many boys are called Muhammed.

52. Relaxed pace : TROT

53. Mozart's "__ fan tutte" : COSI

57. Scare stiff : TERRIFY

61. Destination for many srs. : SCH. I was thinking of Florida.

63. Natty neckwear : ASCOTS

65. Just about makes, with "out" : EKES

66. Get better : HEAL

67. Raptor features : TALONS

68. NYC line to the Hamptons : LIRR

69. Record speeds, for short : RPMS (Revolutions Per Minute)

70. Really bad : EVIL

71. Picture of a picture : SCREENSHOT. Got via crosses, despite grabbing screenshots for all my blogging posts.

75. "Movin' __": "The Jeffersons" theme : ON UP

76. Contemporary of Ella : LENA (Horne)

77. Mideast seaport : ADEN

79. "Piece o' cake!" : NO PROB!

80. His and hers : THEIR. The clue is asking for THEIRS, no?

81. Calming agents : SEDATIVES. Boomer is now calming his foot nerve problem with Scotch tape. I'm amazed that it works. He also rubs the Therapeutic Blue Ice Gel on his legs for the sciatic nerve pain. He does it every time before he goes bowling. It stinks, but again, it works for him. Similar to below bottle, but Health Smart brand. Boomer gets his at the Dollar Store.



85. Powerful power sources : REACTORS

87. Ruhr Valley city : ESSEN

88. Cause of white knuckles : FEAR

90. Fixed, as one's lipstick : BLOTTED. How many lipsticks do you think an average woman own?

94. Union union : AFL-CIO

95. Christopher Paolini fantasy best-seller : ERAGON. Friendly letter combo. I always want DRAGON.
 

97. They may be recorded separately : VOCALS

98. Each : A POP

99. Succumb to gravity : DROOP

100. Surpass : OUTDO

101. Board with a room? : MEALS. Another tricky clue.

102. Reps' promotions : DEMOS

103. "Not another word!" : ZIP IT!

104. Latish lunch hr. : ONE PM

105. Like the mythological Aesir-Vanir War : NORSE

106. HP competitor : EPSON

109. Hosiery shade : NUDE. No ECRU today.

113. Supermarket chain with a red-and-white logo : IGA. Never been to one.

115. Hard thing to get out of : RUT

C.C.

39 comments:

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Thanks to Robyn and CC!

Cool theme! Lots of fun!

I had trouble with: OSRIC, NINTENDO, RICOLA, O'DOUL, ELO, SARDI, DON PARDO, ERAGON and IGA. But everything fell in in the end!

Have a great day!

OwenKL said...

FIR with little trouble. The first theme entry I filled was LITTLE OMEN, which I immediately recognized as LITTLE NEMO with the back backwards, and so kept looking for reversals in the next few themers!

Only 2 poems today, both fantasies! You seem to have like the longer one yesterday, so a three stanza one today {A-, A.}

A girl named ALICE stepped through a MIRROR,
Stepped right through without any FEAR!
And she found what LIES
On the other side --
A lot of broken glass!

THE FAERIE QUEEN

If you have met THE FAERIE QUEEN,
And seen her in her gown of green,
Served by elves that SLAVED so BRISK.
You from her lips have felt a kiss,
Touched the vines that clothe her LIMBS,
With flashes of NUDE skin within,

Joined the LOVE FEST in her BEDS
In NESTS where never mortal treads,
EKED OUT a place among her chosen --
Know for AEONS you've been frozen!
As you've been with love besotted,
Your years passing have been BLOTTED!

Though it seems it's still TONITE,
Memories have taken flight!
Should you, with a TREMOR sigh,
Beware! THE QUEEN should TERRIFY!
She, for SLEEPY vassals SCANS
With pure EVIL in her TALON'S SPANS!

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

Enjoyed today's big grid with its quality fill. I wasn't familiar with Emperor Otho, so I looked long and hard at that answer before shrugging and moving on.

Thanks for elucidating, C.C.!

Owen from yesterday - it took several tries, but ultimately I got your link to Pantagraph to work (the site doesn't seem to like the iPad). The WWII Museum in Natick has a fine reputation, but somehow I've never made time to visit it. I suppose I ought to try a little harder...

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Managed to get the theme early on, and that helped a lot. As Paula Poundstone says, "The wAGES OF SIN are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling." Tried FAIT before FINI elbowed in. I thought the facetious "Let me in" would be OPEN SAYS ME. I even managed to remember the H in OTHO and the E in FAERIE. "It could be fishy" repeated the FISH from 39d. Would have been easy enough to avoid, but that's just a finicky nit. I really liked this puzzle. Thanks for the workout, Robyn.

C.C., I'm also a Rooster, and I'm fanatical about being on time. I always attributed it to my years in radio where things were timed to the second.

We had an IGA store in the little town where I grew up. I took a virtual tour of that town recently, and there's an empty lot where the IGA store used to be. In fact, there are almost as many empty lots as there are buildings on Main Street. Sad.

desper-otto said...

Kwinky-Dink: 17d also appeared in today's NYT as "Famed Broadway restaurateur."

Barry T. said...

Good morning. Fun puzzle. One nit: I don't believe one can consider IGA a "chain", more an association of independently-run grocery stores. This is confirmed by the IGA web-site: "The Independent Grocers Alliance (IGA) was founded in 1926, bringing together independent grocers across the United States to ensure that the trusted, family-owned local grocery store remained strong in the face of growing chain competition." Have a great day, all!

Yellowrocks said...

Neat theme, easy to suss. Lots of fun. I did it again! I forgot to return to a weak cell. I had OTTO temporarily and didn't notice the problem with SCREEN SHOT, making it STOT.
Alphabet vowel run for O in ODOUL and ERAGON. ERAGON all perps. Alan sometimes drinks O'Doul's. Medications indicate no alcohol. On special occasions he has a spritzer with a few tablespoons of wine and the rest is seltzer.
Finally, a sunny day!Enjoy it. We will likely take a ride this afternoon to scope out the location of our new speech therapist.

TTP said...


Good morning all. Thank you Robyn and thank you CC.

Two in a row. The first clue I solved was the title. But the first theme answer I filled was SALEM ITCH TRIALS. Funny imagery.

I found the answer to "Piece o' cake" DEAD EASY. :>)

Had MEGA before TERA. ROCKETING slowed me down. Needed that O because I was never going to get that courtier's name based on the clue alone.

Yes, I threw in Lefty GROVE on the first pass. Had to perp in the correct answer, O'DOUL after seeing batting champ. Don't remember reading about him.

Hungry Mother said...

As a kid growing up on the Peninsula, I used to watch Lefty play for the Seals.

billocohoes said...

Always thought the French "end" was FINIs, I guess it depends on gender and tense.

Another baseball Lefty was Gomez, All-star pitcher for the Yankees in the 30s. Once stopped a game to watch an airplane circle overhead. When introduced to a classical violinist, asked if he could play "Turkey in the Straw". (He could)

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Fun Sunday gimmick and cluing made even more enjoyable by C.C.’s summation
-Every December Jose Feliciano’s song reminds us what FELIZ means
-I remember!
-I remember Lipton Tea advertised as BRISK
-Currently Bill NYE is an advocate FOR Global Warming and AGAINST religion
-Many feel the RUST BELT vote decided the recent election
-The most famous DROP ZONE in history
-I digitize most everything now with my always-ready phone
-Don’t we all remember into what DERN was reaching in this scene?
-SCREEN SHOTS can make blogging much easier
-Recording the VOCALS for The Beach Boys’ Good Vibrations started on August 24 and continued until September 21, 1966

Lucina said...

I love this theme and parsed NO W HERE which in itself is amazing as usually those nuances escape me. Thank you, Robyn.

Mostly it was an easy pace, muy FELIZ! However, like YR, I also forgot to return to some unfinished spots, fell into the OTTO trap, ANDSO FIW. But I really liked the theme fill, SALEMwITCHTRIALS and GUMwRAPPERS. So clever.

Well done, Ms Robyn Weintraub! And thank you, C.C., for your helpful intel!

My sister is still in the hospital. The doctor believes she had global transient amnesia, of which I've never heard, but her amnesia was real. I don't know what the solution is and guess we'll find out today.

Have a magnificent day, everyone!

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

As I've mentioned before, Sunday puzzles are not my favorite offerings, but this one gets an A+ from me. A cute theme, clever (very!) cluing, and strong, fresh fill all add up to a challenging and enjoyable solve. Favorites were the clues for Invest and Pajamas. Favorite themer was Salem Itch Trials. My Lefty was O'Dowl but not for long. Eragon was a known but I don't know why. OTOH, the simple Kings=Beds had me stumped. As Tin would say, "Go figure!"

Kudos, Robyn, for brightening my day and thanks, CC, for the detailed and informative expo.(Glad Boomer has had some relief from his pain.)

YR from yesterday, so sorry to hear of David's ordeal. Hope he gets some relief soon.

Have a great day.

tawnya said...

Good Morning all!

What a fun theme! I got it pretty quickly but got hung up on a lot of the proper nouns. Not a problem though - eventually filled it all in for the tada. Thanks for the expose, C.C. - I'm curious how the scotch tape works for nerve pain? Will see what google can tell me...

Just for giggles: Shatner sings Rocket Man

@Lucina - I'm sorry about your sister, I'm sure this is a difficult time for you. I have a couple links for you about the diagnosis (both from reliable science-y sources) Mayo Clinic and Medscape. Both agree the condition is usually temporary and resolves quickly. Sending warm thoughts to you and the family.

Happy Sunday -

t.

Irish Miss said...

HG @ 10:19 - As happens so often, I knew exactly what your most famous "drop zone" was going to be before I clicked on the link. OTOH, having never seen Jurassic Park, I have no idea what Laura Dern is doing.

Lucina @ 10:20 - My husband received the same diagnosis on two separate occasions, a few years apart. The first episode lasted several hours during which he had no memory of anything he did that entire day. To make matters worse, during this period, he was unable to retain any information which led him to asking me to repeat over and over what he did that day. After about the 20th recitation of "You went to a doctor's appointment, you bought two pairs of golf shoes (Him: "Why did I buy two pairs?) you picked up our new car (Him: What new car?) I thought I was losing my mind. (I had to walk him out to the parking lot to convince him that, indeed, he had picked up a new car.). The second episode lasted about three hours but both were scary and frustrating for both of us. Trans Global Amnesia was all that the doctors could come up with, absent any physical symptoms. I hope your sister is better.

Anonymous said...

"Two-time N.L. batting champ Lefty : O'DOUL. Way before my time. There's another Lefty in baseball. Lefty Grove. Pitcher."

... and Lefty Gomez, Lefty Herring and Lefty Jamerson.

Dudley said...

About Jurassic Park: I saw the first film in the franchise back in the day, and was disappointed. The cloned dinosaur science concept was fun, and the then-new CGI was impressive, but I had trouble seeing past the shabby acting. There may have been some lameness in the script but I can't recall that well. What was your impression?

maripro said...

Excellent puzzle and write-up. Thank you Robyn and C.C.
Loved the clue for pajamas. I had trouble with the bottom quarter, but figured it out with no cheats.
Have a lovely day, everyone.

Misty said...

A friend of Rowland's from the old days, whom I've never met, is coming to lunch, so I'm checking in early and quickly. I just loved this puzzle--got every bit with only a single cheat (looked up ERAGON)--so, many thanks, Robyn, for a Sunday delight! And I loved the pictures, C.C.

I'll try to check in again later--so sorry to hear about Lucina's sister.

Have a great Sunday, everybody!

Argyle said...

"Global transient amnesia" was on Doc Martin episode yesterday. PC Penhale's ex-wife showed up, having forgotten they were divorced.

C6D6 Peg said...

Thanks, Robyn, for a fun Sunday offering. Favorite was SALEMITCHTRIALS. LOL!

Nice expo, C.C. Thanks for keeping all of us informed so well.

Big Easy said...

I got a real late start today because the newspaper didn't show up and I watched Federer beat Nadal in the fifth set for his 18th Grand Slam Tennis title. So I got my puzzle from the Times web site at about noon CST.

I caught the theme immediately at LITTLE OMEN. I liked it that the W wasn't always missing as the first letter. I found that out at IDENTICAL TINS because I had MEGA hz (FM) afer KILO Hz (AM) wouldn't work. I started badly with FIRE before FLUE and I wanted STAIN because it's a challenge; FILTH is easy to get out. I worked it from N to S finishing with a cross of two unknowns- O'DOUL & ERAGON. Lefty GROVE I knew, but not ODOUL. Never heard of either Paolini or ERAGON, finishing the same way as Yellowrocks.

The theme entries helped me a lot because they were guessable after just a few letters and I didn't know IOTA, SHATNER, DERN, OTHO, OSRIC, Princess Peach by NINTENDO, or remember if it was SHERI or SHARI Lewis. I only knew CHINA (Hello C.C.) because my wife gets me to order from registries because she's afraid to use a credit card online. I also wonder why the brides ever get china because they NEVER use it or their dining room. You don't need it for Domino's Pizza. We use our dining room TWICE a year and DW uses 'Chinette' because somebody might chip the China. We have another dining table in the breakfast area that we never use either- we just eat sitting on bar stools on the granite counter top. Easier to clean.

HETERO-Straight? Wow, I can't believe they printed that one. Countered with FAERIE Queene.
Doc's pal- CHESTER, oh that's Gunsmoke and one too many letters.
IDOLATRY- C.C. you know religions. It's do as I SAY, not as I DO, especially for the hierarchy.
SCREEN SHOT- print screen is easy on a keyboard but I hate it when my phone takes a SCREENSHOT and after four years with the same phone I still haven't figured out how to do it. I just delete them.

Jayce said...

Smiled at SALEM ITCH TRIALS. Excellent construction. Lots of fun today. Sure enough, I put in FAIT before FINI and NERO before OTHO.

Unknown said...

Lefty Ford is another HOF pitcher but I am ashamed to say I had to look up lefty O'Doul. Apparently he had a few bad years as a pitcher and two phenomenal years as a slightly latter day Babe Ruth and won two batting titles. Seldom do I learn any new baseball solving grids !

Even after I had the theme all the verts I couldn't read Identical tins ! I kept trying to find some offshoot of Tupperware to fit.

Why is getting Intel investing ? but after I had the verts I had no choice. I was about to cheat when Fini came to me. I think I had a sexy girlfriend in college that dragged me to French films. The word has (has?) a Pavlovian effect on me !

Lucina said...

Thank you all for the comments about global transient amnesia. Though I know better I really thought the doctor had made it up so thank you for the reassurance. In a while I'm going to visit her as she is now home and hope to find out what if any the treatment will be. I would make it a long rest and good nutrition but knowing her that would never be a choice. It is not unusual for her to skip meals in favor of finishing whatever the imminent task is at hand even if it takes until 2, 3 or 4 A.M. We are not alike!

Yellowrocks said...

Intel is a stock you could invest in. I have Christmas cookie containers called tins. Two alike would be identical tins.
Lucina, I read last night that your sister's condition often has excellent outcomes. I am thinking of both of you and hoping you can get her to follow the doctor's regimen .Maybe you can convince her that if she does so she will be better able to go-go-go down the road in the future.

Bill G. said...

Dudley, regarding Jurassic Park; Years ago I noticed it was being shown on TV. After all the hype I thought I would give it a try. One of my criteria for rating a movie is whether I care about the characters. I didn't. After about 20 minutes I found myself rooting for the dinosaurs and I turned it off.

I enjoyed the puzzle muchly. :>) Thanks Robyn and CC.

Lucina, good thoughts coming eastward for you and your sister.

Bobbi said...

For some reason this was a stumper for me - probably because I had less time to ruminate over it than usual. Had to use too many Google searches. Not a satisfying solve for me.

TTP said...

Me too Dudley and Bill G. Jurassic Park lost my attention within minutes.

Lazy afternoon watching golf and Food Paradise on the Travel Channel after grocery shopping.

On one of the earlier sandwich programs was Morrette's in Schenectady. That Philly cheese steak covered in marinara made my mouth water.

A few minutes ago, they started a program dedicated to garlic, and the first segment featured The Stinking Rose in San Francisco and their "40 Clove Garlic Chicken." That's what my nephew and I ordered there. Our wives ordered something else. Don't remember, but I won't forget that garlic chicken. Makes me want to go back again.

Now they are featuring the Gilroy Garlic Festival... Yum !

Chairman Moe said...

Chuck Lindgren @ 2:39:

Are you sure you didn't mean Whitey Ford as your HOF pitcher? He was indeed a southpaw but I don't recall anyone calling him "Lefty"

Re the puzzle, it took time for me to complete but I did so with minimal errors. STAIN before FILTH; MEGA before TERA; ECRU before NUDE; VOICES before VOCALS. Other than that, NO PROB!

Bill G. said...

Due to an ever-decreasing number of requests, here is today's luncheon update.
Barbara hasn't been feeling like going out to eat because of nausea from the chemo treatments. Those are over now and she's starting to feel a bit better with a little more appetite. We went for my two-day-early birthday lunch at Il Fornaio, our favorite local upscale Italian restaurant.

I had a brunch entree with crab cakes, sauteed spinach, poached eggs and fried potatoes. Barbara had a sea food plate with calamari, scallops, shrimp, sauteed spinach, etc. We shared everything. We finished off with mocha lattes and tiramisu. Lovely!

I can hardly move. Maybe nap time?






Michael said...

No idea about C. Paolini's book, so I tried Erabon, because "BumRappers" made as much sense to me.

Who'd a thunk of Wm. Shatner for 37a? I'm so used to getting some oddball, left fieldish -- no, make that Andromeda galaxy sourced -- c/w answer, that I was looking for something like Szczerbieczki, or an equally obscure yet erudite solve.

Just when we thinking we're starting to get it, along comes the Sunday puzzle. Ah, humility in a 26x26!

Yellowrocks said...

Bill G, it is wonderful that Barbara was able to have a delicious lunch date with you. I hope for her continuing good recovery.
Yellowrocks to both of you.

Misty said...

Bill G, what great news about your lovely lunch. So glad to hear it.

Wilbur Charles said...

Actually, Bill G, I immediately wondered how the crab cakes were. One can really run the gamut from great to ugh. Methinks, yours were very good.

I immediately thought of Odoul. But I thought he might be too obscure, like OSRIC. Lefty chose to play in the AAA+ Pacific coast league where he mentored Joe DiMaggio.

Hungry M, did you get to see Joe D in his Seal days? Hondo could enlighten us here.

WHDH Boston had a radio jock, Norm Nathan who told stories of a mythical Lefty Sprocket. I wrote a LS pastiche and sent it in to him.

Unlike Owen, he pretended to like it. I referred to Lefty as a Souse Paw. There's that*Groan again.

Jayce, I see, had NERO. OTHO only lasted a year. OTTO was used by the HRE emperors.

Perfect Sunday xword. Same same for CC. I would say THEIR and THEIRS could both be correct if referring to His and Hers.

WC

Wilbur Charles said...

My son, Phil took another look at my xword and spotted Princess Peach and immediately said Mario. And presto: NINTENDO.

And that entailed another talk re. The Mario Brothers Movie which we think is one of the great 90s movies, capped by these Cooper characters being tamed by playing the Theme (Lara's) from Dr Zhivago

WC

Anonymous T said...

Lurk say:

FLN: C. Moe - D'Oh! Rice. They have a great program but I tried to steer her clear of a U. I clearly can't afford. Now I'm having second thoughts and it's too late for her to apply. Bad dad.

Lucina - I really hope for you & your sister it's a just temporary laps of memory. Al's Hammer (as Gramps called it) is scary. God speed to both of you.

Bill G. Yummy lunch update. Glad to hear Barbara is doing better.

Michael - I've seen you show yourself a few times. You seem fun, chime in more oft.

Re: Jurassic Dinosaurs: What, me worry?.

Play w/ y'all tomorrow. C, -T

Abejo said...

Good Tuesday morning, folks. Thank you, Robyn Weintraub, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, C.C., for a fine review.

Well, I started this Sunday night, late. Could not finish. Worked on it Monday off and on. Still could not finish. Finally finished it today. Phew!

Really liked the puzzle. Most of it was quite doable. There were a couple sticky spots for me. One the SE and the other the NE.

Liked the theme and it did help with some answers, i.e., GUM RAPPERS.

Had CAN IT for 103D. ZIP IT appeared later. Had PALE for 109D. NUDE appeared later. Had INEPT for 108A. INANE appeared later.

Tried MEGA before TERA became obvious.

So, I am glad I stuck with it and finished unassisted.

See you Wednesday.

Abejo
( )

Picard said...

Fun theme! Way impressive to avoid stray Ws!

Can somebody explain SCH as destination for many srs? School?

Once again my pet peeve: IGA must be a regional thing. Where? And it is not even an actual store chain?

Several unknowns, but it was all solvable!