google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday October 21, 2024 Micah Sommersmith

Advertisements

Oct 21, 2024

Monday October 21, 2024 Micah Sommersmith

  

Happy Monday, everyone!

Theme:                    This one's a KEEPer!  

Constructor Micah Sommersmith KEEPS it real by delivering a fun puzzle with the perfect unifier. What's that? You're ready for the themers? KEEP your hat on. Here they are:

20 Across. Precarious plan, metaphorically: HOUSE OF CARDS.  When my grandfather babysat us, his go-to tactics were:  (1) seeing who could stand on our heads as long as he could and (2) teaching us how to make playing card houses.
Bryan Berg recently set a world record. Check out this 1:16 min. video for the details. 

34 Across. Events with sprints and relays: TRACK MEETS.  

40 Across. Corporate executive's perk: COMPANY CAR.  This answer was the topic of many comments on last Friday's puzzle.
And the reveal:

54 Across. "I don't need that back," and what can be said about the starts of 20-, 34-, and 40-Across: YOU CAN KEEP IT.

It's hard to KEEP up with all the various constructors so let me point out that Micah is a brilliant lateral thinker. Today's puzzle is a good example. When he says YOU CAN KEEP IT, he is calling upon these idioms:
  • KEEP HOUSE  ~  do the cleaning and cooking for a household.
  • KEEP TRACK  ~  stay informed on what is happening to someone or something.
  • KEEP COMPANY  ~  spend time with someone.
OK, let's KEEP on KEEPing on:

Across:

1. Vision-correcting surgical beam: LASER.  This can be expensive so one should KEEP an eye out for special deals.

6. Topiarist's target: BUSH.  A topiarist is skilled at topiary gardening. This is a 1 min. video visit of the world's oldest topiary garden, located at Leven's Hall, U.K.  

10. No-frills grocer based in Germany: ALDI.  There are 2,427 locations in the U.S.

14. Words on a Wonderland cake: EAT ME.

15. "¿Cómo __ usted?": ESTA.  "How are you (formal)?" in Spanish

16. Woodwind insert: REED.     and     35 Across. Woodwind instruments that need 16-Acrosses: CLARINETS.  
how to put a REED on a CLARINET (1:45 min.)

17. Moves briskly: TROTS.  

18. Symbols like :-) and :-(: EMOTICONS.  It's fun that this word's symmetrical partner is 57-Across HUMANLIKE.
An EMOTICON is a sequence of keyboard characters used to illustrate a facial expression/picture/symbol. On the other hand, an emoji is a small image. 😊

22. Sinus MD: ENT.  

23. JFK successor: LBJ.  

24. Mai __: cocktail: TAI.  
Might I make an exception for MalMan? His puns are the best!

25. Poetic sphere: ORB.

28. Many a "Men in Black" character: ALIEN.  Men in Black was released in 1997. Sequels came out in 2002, 2012, and 2019. Here is a 2:19 min. clip from Men In Black II, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith ... and many ALIENs.  

30. Tissue that covers the iris and pupil: CORNEA.  Details about eyeballs give me the heebie-jeebies.

32. Pink Floyd co-founder Barrett: SYD.  When my brother was in high school, he asked our parents if he could paint his bedroom door. It had a big ding in it so my parents were impressed that he wanted to make things nicer. They quickly agreed but then were surprised with the final result. It looked like this:  
Here is the story of SYD and the band.

36. Go in one's __: replace: STEAD.  Use "in stead" if you mean "standing in for". Use "instead" if you mean "something other than".
Example:  Because my friend was busy, I went to the meeting in her stead. She said I should take her car instead of my own.

38. Penn of "Harold & Kumar" films: KAL.  These three films star John Cho and Kal Penn as stoner buddies. The first one was Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004). Hand up if you've ever been to a White Castle. I've only been once.

39. Cooks quickly, as tuna: SEARS.  SEARed ahi tuna is a popular restaurant dish in Hawaii. 
Yes, it is supposed to be that raw on the inside. So 'ono (delicious)!

43. On the __: furtively: SLY.  "Furtively" means to do something in a quiet and secretive way to avoid being noticed.

44. Punch combo: ONE TWO.  This clue/answer combo was my favorite today!  

45. Ordinary writing: PROSE.

47. Half a score, or a perfect score: TEN.  I liked this clue, too. "Score" can mean "twenty" and it can mean "a number that expresses accomplishment."  

48. Doc intended to protect confidentiality: NDA.  As it turns out, I recently signed a Non-disclosure Agreement as part of an Appearance Release document. 
I just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I was out on my kayak and a film crew asked if they could get some shots of me to possibly use as interstitial footage for a documentary they are making. I can say that the topic is intriguing and that it will be narrated by one of my favorite actors. I imagine it will be a while before it is released. I'll KEEP you posted....

50. German pronoun: ICH.  In English, it means "I".
JFK appears twice today.

51. Smallish batteries: AAs.  The -ish and the plural deterred me from size AAA.

57. Anthropomorphic: HUMANLIKE.  We see a lot of examples of ascribing human characteristics to nonhuman things in animated films.  
Be Our Guest  ~  Jerry Orbach as Lumière and Angela Lansbury as Mrs. Potts
Beauty and the Beast (1991)

60. Over the top: EXTRA.  The party hosts went a bit EXTRA in the above presentation.

61. Not close: AFAR.

62. Change to fit in, perhaps: EDIT.  This one makes me think both of a fashion adjustment and of a writing change.

63. Spud: TATER.  Both are slang for "potato".

64. Elevator direction: DOWN.  Such a simple clue, but it works, right?


65. Double-hyphenated digits, for short: SSNs.  123-45-6789

66. Three-ingredient sweet treat: S'MORE.  Want Some MORE S'MOREs? You do not have to wait until you go camping. You can make them in your microwave.  

Down:

1. Mythical river of forgetfulness: LETHE.  Today I learned that the LETHE is one of the five rivers of the Greek underworld. The other four are Styx (the river of hate), Acheron (the river of pain), Cocytus (the river of lamentation) and Phlegethon (the river of fire). Given those choices, one ticket for LETHE, please!

2. Slugger Judge who was the 2017 AL Rookie of the Year: AARON.  We often see this 
word's homophone, ERIN, but not in a baseball clue.  ☘⚾

3. Portly, or porter: STOUT.  I liked this fun play on port-ly and port-er
!
porter is a dark beer...so is a STOUT.

4. CPR experts: EMTS.

5. Flip, as a property: RESELL.  Here is a 5 min. flip video.  

6. Slim Jim product: BEEF JERKY.  
... and know you know!

7. "Semper Fi" military org.: USMC.  
the meaning of Semper Fidelis (1:20 min.)

8. Ferret kin: STOAT.  Cue the cute animal pic.  
STOATs eat small rodents as well as bigger mammal prey, including rabbits and squirrels.

9. Porkpie's place, perhaps: HAT RACK.  Where else would you put your pulled pork empanada?  
left:  a pork pie 
right:  Buster Keaton sporting his porkpie hat

10. Pickleball paths: ARCS.  

11. Sign before Virgo: LEO.   ...and the only 3-letter sign.

12. TV room: DEN.

13. Employee badges, e.g., for short: IDs.  

19. Figures of speech: IDIOMS.  See today's reveal for three examples. Others include "KEEP the ball rolling (Don't pause.); KEEP up with the Joneses (Buy things for social status as opposed to need.); and KEEP your nose clean (Stay out of trouble).

21. Memorial bio: OBIT.  I always read the OBITs.

25. NBA star with the hit rap album "Shaq Diesel": O'NEAL.

26. Have another go at: RETRY.

27. Chilean sea __: BASS.  I Googled this for the blog and ended up Wiki-walking over to this 5 min. video about caring for giant sea BASS--not Chilean sea BASS. I especially liked when they show what a baby giant sea BASS looks like.  

28. Change to fit in: ADAPT.

29. Civil rights gp. since 1909: NAACP.

31. Witherspoon of "Walk the Line": REESE.  Reese Witherspoon (b. March 22, 1976) won an Oscar for best actress for her performance as June Carter Cash in this biopic about Johnny Cash. This scene stayed with me. I wonder how today's celebrities might respond in a similar situation. (1:32 min.)  

32. Pebble, e.g.: STONE.     and     42-Down. Pebble, e.g.: ROCK.

33. Country south of Saudi Arabia: YEMEN.  Oil accounts for about 60% of Yemen's exports. Scrap iron is next on the list at 6.4%. Saudi Arabia used to be Yemen's top trading partner but now it is China. It receives a little over 30% of Yemen's goods.

36. Kilt wearer, often: SCOT.  

37. Occur to: DAWN ON.  It DAWNed ON me that this would be a good place to insert a song from Tony Orlando and Dawn. Here is Candida from 1970. 

41. Small lumps: NODULES.

46. Units of paper: SHEETS.  A ream is 500 sheets.

49. Corrosive compounds: ACIDS.  Vinegar ACIDity 101

51. Is __: probably will: APT TO.

52. Broadcast network: AIRER.  one that airs a TV show

53. Fixed gaze: STARE.  Here's a seasonal one...  

54. Crochet need: YARN.  I started with "hook". Do we have any crocheters on The Corner?

55. Similar (to): AKIN.

56. Test: EXAM.

57. Consumed: HAD.  I HAD chana masala for dinner.

58. Airborne mystery: UFO.  The U.S. Air Force coined this term in 1952.

59. Gaping mouth: MAW.  This can be a literal mouth or something suggestive of a mouth, like a cave's entrance.

Today's completed grid:
That's it for today. You can KEEP the change!


30 comments:

Subgenius said...

Well, last Monday I said I was going to stop using the expression “a walk in the park,” but today I changed my mind, because this puzzle certainly was one! Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Usually don't need my Wite-Out on Monday. Today I did. Alter/ADAPT and EMOjI COde/EMOTICONS. Still, this one fell together quickly. There's an ALDI about 20 miles south of us, but we've never been there. UFO has been replaced by UAP. Do you suppose puzzle constructors will ever catch on? Thanx, Micah and sumdaze. (Your NDA story is intriguing. Why would documentary filmers require an NDA? Hmmmm.)

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased place for STEAD and lam for SLY.

A woodwind fill that isn't oboe? How clever!

Well, the network isn't the AIRER. The network feeds the content, then the individual TV stations are the AIRERs.

Remember Aerosmith's iconic Love in an Elevator? Livin' it up when I'm goin' down.'

Thanks to Micah for the fun puzzle, and to sumdaze for summing it up.

Lemonade714 said...

A fun Monday with no stress. My son AARON would dispute that his name is a homophone for ERIN, and so would I. I have recounted my personal CORNEA battles here before. I am very curious about more detail about the NDA for the Appearance Release Document. Chilean Sea Bass always reminds me of Jurassic Park . We shop at ALDI regularly, it is only 1 mile away. The bagpiper is another cartoon I do not understand. Thank you Micah and sumdaze.

Anonymous said...

Took 5:45 today for me to be busy as a bee.

Seemed like a walk in the park, as SubG says, but yet it took me longer than I realized.

I didn't know the mythological river. I resisted "airer". But, I knew today's actress (Reese).

L714, listening to bagpipes would make the overstaying guests want to leave.

Have a good week.

Tehachapi Ken said...

For Monday, Micah has provided.us with a straightforward and clever puzzle.

Two of the clues stood out for me: "Portly, or porter" (STOUT); and "Half a score, or a perfect score" (TEN). Nicely done. On the other hand, there was my candidate for most awkward answer, AIRER.

I ran into a Natick mess in the North central, with words like HATRACK, ESTA, STOAT, BEEFJERKY, and BUSH jumbled together. Perps were no help, but some last-resort wagging saved the day.

Thanks, Micah, for an enjoyable start to the week.

KS said...

FIR. A lot of good misdirection in today's puzzle. I too threw down alter before adapt. In thinking this was a typical Monday puzzle, I got sloppy and made some wrong assumptions.
However, the theme totally escaped me. I had to come here to have it explained to me.
But overall this was an enjoyable solve.

YooperPhil said...

Didn’t have much trouble with this one, only a few names which I knew all but KAL. The only real obscurity for me was LETHE, but it perped. Had to change BEEF stick to BEEF JERKY. FIR in under 10. We saw “ule” in a clue yesterday and today we saw an example with NODULE. I go to ALDI occasionally for specific items which are half priced than anywhere else. HG uses an emoticon in place of this emoji 🤷‍♂️. In Upper Michigan we have a relative of the STOAT called a pine marten, not known to attack people but still unnerving when encountering one in the woods. Thanks Micah for today’s puzzle.

sumdaze ~ always enjoy reading your insights and graphics! 🤣 the clip of Leslie Nielsen’s ONE TWO. I’ve only been to a White Castle a few times, but I see you can buy their burgers in the frozen food section.

Lemonade714 said...

Really? I enjoy bagpipe music; I tried to make music with one years ago and it is not easy.

CanadianEh! said...

Marvellous Monday. Thanks for the fun, Micah and sumdaze.
I FIRed in good time and saw the KEEP theme.

Several inkblots, but perps soon set me straight.
This Canadian entered USCG (Coast Guard) before USMC perped.
Then I was trying to put the pork pie on a Head??? instead of a HAT RACK. (Este or ESTA?)

I can never remember NAACP and my final fill was that central A. KAL seemed reasonable.
We don’t have an ALDI store here.

Yes Jinx, I saw “woodwind” and reflexively thought of Oboe. But it was REED. Then we had CLARINET! Nice change from the usual.

I noted TEN under ONE TWO.
We also had ENT and EMTS, plus STOUT and STOAT.
At 57A I wanted Ate before HAD, but we already had EAT ME at 14A.
Hand up for thinking of Hook before YARN. My grandma taught my sister how to crochet. Crocheting and knitting are not my talents.

Wishing you all a great day.



RosE said...

Good Morning! We’re off to a good start this week with today’s puzzle. Nicely done theme.
I proceeded cautiously in some areas and arrived at the finish with just two missteps. WO: J -> T in EMOTICONS and ate -> HAD in the SW.
Perps for SYD, KAL, LEATHE
Thanks, sumdaze, and now add film star to your resume in addition to our star Monday blogger! Wow!
I’d pass on the microwave S’MORES – ya gotta have the crispy burnt edges on the marshmallow.
Loved the Zookeeper and the BEEF JERKY toons

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was an above-average Monday offering, IMO, because of the well-hidden, clever theme and the more sophisticated cluing and fill. Perps were needed for Lethe, but everything else fell into place. I particularly like the Beef Jerky, Hat Rack, Clarinets entries and, also, the clecho cluing for Stone and Rock. Aaron Judge is a timely entry, especially for Yankee fans!

Thanks, Micah, for a pleasant start to the week and thanks, sumdaze, for the excellent review and commentary. I really enjoy the personal asides and the perfect comics that you search out. Today’s favorites were the ones for Track Meets, ENT, Human Like, and Beef Jerky. Also enjoyed the Beauty and the Beast and Reese Witherspoon clips, plus the Semper Fi tribute.

Have a great day.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-The puzzle was easy and my day of subbing will be as well. I don’t have any kids until 10:35.
-A senator friend of mine said HOUSE OF CARDS was a pretty accurate look at how the political process works
-It always seemed to me that CLARINETS in a marching band are hard to hear
-There is no better example of “Politics make for strange bedfellows” than JFK and LBJ
-I am here in the STEAD of the Home Ec. teacher who is also the wrestling coach
-Pickleball has become a staple in the P.E. curriculum here
-We went to our ALDI store once and don’t see any reason to return
-STONE/ROCK – I greatly prefer Freestone Peaches over Cling Peaches
-NODULES answer the ULE question from yesterday
-An entertaining and informative write-up, Renee!

Monkey said...

Super smooth CW this morning. Quite enjoyable for my return. I missed the last few CWs. I was in Pensacola Beach on a family trip. We had perfect weather but rough waves.

This is an amazing CW. I didn’t have to erase any entries. There were no proper names I was unfamiliar with, and the theme was clever and fun.

Thanks sumdaze for a nice recap. Loved the pun joke.

Lee said...

I will echo the common agreement that today's puzzle is a "walk in the park". Fell into the Alter / ADAPT trap. Also wanted LASik instead of LASER until. I reread the clue.

We have an Aldi close to us. My one daughter lives very close and shops there all the time. You need to bring your own bags as the store does not provide them. We also have a Lidl store, also close. Been there a couple times. Meh.

Just because you say so, doesn't make it so.

Recompense.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Started out with two Inkovers: Lasik/LASER, tree/BUSH….later, as in/AKIN otherwise all went smoothly with a str8forward theme

“Slim Jim” product: fat James wouldn’t fit.

“Pink Floyd flounder” SYD was unknown until, once peeped, I realized he has popped up in prior puzzles. COMPANY CAR not acCOMPANY CARds today.

Netflix “HOUSE OF CARDS” a great first few seasons but a series that went on too long (and then canceled for some “spacey” reason)

Isn’t calling a ROCK a “pebble” like calling a mountain a molehill🤔

We recently began applying an AI algorithm to CT chest images that digitally identifies minute lung NODULES. We review results then visually separate benign from suspicious. I’m waiting for the day I walk into my office and find a robot reading my cases. 🤖

After a sharp dip including a killing frost last week temps are rising to mid 70s by the end of this week 🌞

Charlie Echo said...

Pleasant start to the week with a fun puzzle and a nice recap from sumdaze. I liked the elevator dog, and "go in one's STEAD" brought to mind "A Tale of Two Cities".

Anonymous said...

Easy, fun puzzle. Liked the clue for "ten", half-score or perfect score. Great write up with enjoyable extras!

NaomiZ said...

Marvelous Monday, Micah! And sumdaze, I like the way you expanded on the theme with your comments and cartoons. I don't often follow links in the blog because it is time consuming to do so, but you led us to a number of entertaining videos and promised they'd be short! You're a KEEPer!

sumdaze said...

It's nice to see all the positive comments about Micah's puzzle. I really liked this one!
D-Otto@5:35. I'm not in "the biz" but I think filmmakers try to keep their ideas hush-hush so no one comes in, steals their idea, and releases a film before the original filmmaker does. I have heard they sometimes give movies a fake working title when securing locations to throw off any speculators. Since this crew told me about their idea, I signed a paper saying I wouldn't share the inside gouge -- essentially an NDA.
I-M@9:10. I'm glad you enjoyed the Reese W. clip. Watching her face change in that scene ... wow ... no wonder she won an Oscar!

unclefred said...

Re the bagpiper commercial: they have houseguests that has overstayed their welcome, so he brings in someone to play the bagpipes, since most folks can't stand the sounds of bagpipes.

unclefred said...

Easy-peasy Monday, FIR in terrific time. 12 names only 4 DNKs. Nice "Pebble" clecho. I really liked this CW, good fun clues, no brain-busters or outrageous stretches. Thanx MS for the fun. And thanx Sumdaze for the terrific write up, complete with fun short videos and cartoons. The bagpipes cartoon reminded me of when my new next door neighbor came banging on my door, yelling at the top of his voice, ringing my doorbell, all at 3:30am. I thought he must be mentally unbalanced, but wasn't too upset with him since I was still awake anyway...practicing my bagpipes.

Misty said...

Fun Monday puzzle, many thanks, Micah. And your pictures and commentary are always a pleasure, Sumdaze, thanks for those too.

Somebody very hungry to try that BEEF JERKEY is probably assuming that the thing is looking at him and quietly saying "EAT ME," maybe with a TATER and a bottle of STOUT. Later he might get in a COMPANY CAR, and drive to the place where he's trying to RESELL some property, maybe to a new SCOT in town, or even to an ALIEN. Well, the ALIEN probably said "Not interested," "YOU CAN KEEP IT." By then the guy is ready to go back home and play a HOUSE OF CARDS, or crochet with some YARN, or just play the CLARINET. That would be fun and relaxing after a busy day, wouldn't it?

Have a good time after your busy day, everybody.

Yellowrocks said...

Fast romp today.
An ermine is a stoat that has put on his/her white winter coat,
Pebbles and stones are pieces of rock. "Rocks can range from massive boulders to tiny granules." from a gravel company ad.
Aldi has lower prices, but they do not sell many name brands and have a smaller variety of choices. I don't shop there unless they have a sale on something I need in a large quantity. I like one stop shopping, everything in one store. Some pronounce it as ALL dee and some pronounce it as AL dee, like the AL in ALAN. I use the latter.
I pronounce the AAs in AAron like the A in apple. I pronounce the E in Erin like
the beginning of EDGE.
I like my toasted marshmallows the way I like toasted bread, brown, not white or black. with a crispy brown crust. Then they are gooey inside without the charred taste. It takes patience and toasting slowly over glowing coals, not flaming.

Prof M said...

NDA = Non-Disclosure Agreement

Big Easy said...

COMPANY CARE. YOU CAN KEEP IT is what my boss said to me after I quit.

ALDI- just built on in the neighborhood- across the street from WalMart.
I only know of three Penns- Sean, William, & KAL
HUMANLIKE- filled by perps and never looked at the clue. That happens sometimes.
DOWN because UP was too short for the puzzle.

Jayce said...

I very much like this puzzle; it has a lot of good stuff going for it. I concur with all of your comments about it. I also concur that sumdaze's write-up is delightful.
I especially liked:
Punch combo: ONE TWO
Half a score, or a perfect score: TEN
Portly, or porter: STOUT.
Good wishes to you all.

Jayce said...

A company for which I once worked required all employees to sign a Non-Compete Agreement. One guy refused to, but they didn't not hire him. He and I worked on many projects together for more than 10 years.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

I'll bet you know of Penn Jillette, of Penn and Teller fame.

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

Thanks Micah and Renee for the Monday enjoyment

The puzzle had a great theme, and the fill felt "lively"

And sumdaze, you gave us a great cartoon image to start, and the recap and images kept getting better and better

BTW, I too read the OBITs every day. I figure that if I don't see my own I know I am still alive

How about a Moe-ku?

Ferret ate more than
Its share of rodents, got fat,
And now's a STOUT STOAT