Theme: double down. nouns that fit into a certain group are used to create a silly, two-word phrase, first word functioning as a verb & second a well-known name.
17A. *Persistently pester journalist Blitzer? : BADGER WOLF. wolf blitzer, cnn reporter. (mammals)
23A. *Evade actor Harrison? : DODGE FORD. harrison ford, actor. (car makes)
51A. *"Look out, Ichabod!"? : DUCK CRANE. ichabod crane. (fowl)
32D. *"Step on it, Mrs. Cleaver!"? : MARCH JUNE. june cleaver. (months)
and the unifier:
62A. Biblical cargo, or what makes up the answers to starred clues : TWO OF A KIND
clever phrases, made me giggle. fun when the theme answers include acrosses and downs. don't recognize these constructors but they have teamed up before in at least one nyt puzzle (1/29/2008.) can you think of any more 'two of a kind' clues and answers?
melissa here, and this will be somewhat brief today. don't blink.
1. Relay, say : RACE
5. Parasol purpose : SHADE. monet's woman with a parasol.
10. Nile biters : ASPS
14. University with a law school in Greensboro : ELON. north carolina. had no idea.
15. Swiss Alps refrain : YODEL
16. Like a blue moon : RARE. van the man.
19. Branch branch : TWIG
20. Business opening? : I MEAN. "i mean business."
21. Ballerina's pivot point : TOE. that's gotta hurt.
22. Dodo : SCHMO. dodo!
25. Carte start : ALA. a menu item ordered and priced separately.
26. Goof up : ERR
27. Office assortment : STAMPS
30. NCR product : ATM. ncr corporation, first made cash registers, now makes atm's (among other things).
33. Moronic : OAFISH.
37. Fictional pirate : SMEE
38. Crumbly soil : LOAM
40. Word with mouth or pool : MOTOR
41. Flu fighters : SERA
42. Taj Mahal site : AGRA
43. Large departure : EXODUS
45. Pirate's potent potable : RUM. yo ho ho.
46. Like some cows : SACRED
48. Take in : NAB. vague clue.
50. "Let me think ..." : HMM.
57. Green-skinned pear : ANJOU
59. Blood system letters : ABO
60. Tease : RAG ON. i don't really think of them as being the same.
61. Chef lead-in : SOUS
64. "Green Gables" girl : ANNE. anne of green gables.
65. Plumber's tool : SNAKE
66. Zeno of __ : ELEA. no idea. 5th century bc greek philosopher. anyone know this?
67. Amanda of "Gulliver's Travels" (2010) : PEET
68. Fall flower : ASTER
69. Paving stone : SETT. a rectangular, quarried stone.
1. Auction action : RE-BID
2. Avis rival : ALAMO
3. Like some wartime messages : CODED
4. Captivate : ENGAGE
5. Turk. neighbor : SYR
6. Instruction book : HOW TO
7. "Every wall is __": Emerson : A DOOR. ralph waldo emerson quote.
8. Edited out : DELED
9. North Pole resident, presumably : ELF
10. Place for a nude : ART CLASS. but welcome in other places also.
12. Proper partner? : PRIM
13. Showy lily : SEGO. utah state flower.
18. Cool time in Madrid : ENERO
22. Made a lap : SAT
24. Set up : FRAMED
27. Diminished : SHRUNK
28. Lima or llama land : PERU. dig the alliteration.
29. Mine line : SEAM. did not know this term. "a stratum of ore or coal thick enough to be mined with profit."
30. "Woe is me!" : ALAS
31. Frat party wrap : TOGA
34. Deceive : FOX
35. "What was __ do?" : I TO
36. Instant lawn : SOD
39. Small monkey : MARMOSET. strange looking.
44. Pelvic bones : SACRA
47. Down Under runner : EMU
49. Traffic stoppers? : BRAKES
51. Suddenly occurs to, with "on" : DAWNS. dawns on.
52. WWII German sub : U-BOAT
53. "Another Saturday Night" singer Sam : COOKE. oldie.
54. Nimble : AGILE
55. The Muses, e.g. : NONET
56. Conclude by : END AT
57. PDQ relative : ASAP
58. Not a lick : NONE. aw.
62. Frisk-y govt. group? : TSA. great clue.
63. Not agin : FER