Theme: Que pasa? Que sera sera!
JW is back with an add on theme where QUE is added to the end of a word to completely change the meaning of a word or phrase. Three add the que at the end of the phrase, with two adding to the middle of a word creating a two word answer. Four feature "I" before the add on, with one A. I love the first three in the theme. I also love the gridspanner in the middle. The rest of the fill is very good with ABOUND, ANUBIS, BEAT UP, EX-PROS, GULDEN, OCEANS, TAIPEI, TRIBAL, ADRENALIN, AQUA REGIA, FULL MOONS, HEARTBURN examples and some Friday fill like BIOTA and TOQUE. As always, JW makes us work to decipher some of the fill, but is Friday, so let us have at it.
18A. Angry young man's fate? : LIFE OF PIQUE (11). The book Life of Pi became a worldwide best seller and movie after many rejections.
24A. Hercules, e.g.? : ANTIQUE HERO (11). Anti-hero (or antihero) has been a literary theme from Don Quixote through Marlon Brando, but while an ancient story, there is nothing but hero about Hercules. (1:25).
39A. Result of a Caribbean sanitation strike? : DIRTY MARTINIQUE (15). My favorite of the theme, both for the drink and a reminder of the horrible volcanic eruption in 1902 that made one PRISONER famous.
56A. Proprietary paperwork? : UNIQUE FORMS (11). Uniforms.
62A. Ready-to-hang Cubist painting? : WIRED BRAQUE (11). A really creative one, with a very famous contemporary of Picasso (Georges Braque) brought to life from an under-wire bra, which he probably never painted. IMAGE.
1. "I don't like it!" : BAH. Oddly, my first thought of which I was quite unsure.
4. Waikiki allure : SURF. There are other sights to see. LINK.(4:12).
8. Like an old jalopy : BEAT UP.
14. Chemical suffix : IDE. A compound.
15. Hesse-based automaker : OPEL. We have seen this German automaker more often than I have seen their cars. And a semi-clecho: 33A. Ingolstadt-based automaker : AUDI. More Germany 46A. Einstein's birth city : ULM. In southern Germany near the Danube.
16. Reporter's coup : EXPOSE. This was harder without imagining the accent.
17. Man-mouse link : OR A.
20. Hill stint : TERM. Capital Hill for politicians.
22. Hershey bar : SKOR. Back again I must get one.
23. Bygone political entity that included Syr. : UAR. The short lived alliance between Egypt and Syria. United Arab Republic.
28. South African golfer with four major championships : ELS. A CSO to our own Big Easy.
29. Be quite prevalent : ABOUND.
30. Polite response to Aunt Polly : YES'M. A reference to Tom Sawyer's aunt, I guess, which fits with 35A. Crude carrier : RAFT.
32. Seasonal affliction : FLU.
44. Poet Sexton : ANNE. One of many creative people who could not control the demons that made them great. LINK.
45. Popular melt meat : TUNA. Yum.
47. 50-50, to Fifi : EGAL. Equal in French.
51. __ Council: "Survivor" feature : TRIBAL. Never watched an episode.
53. Rush : HIE. A nice Shakespeare word.
59. "Well done!" analog : OLE.
60. Pacific feast : LUAU. In Waikiki?
61. Drudge : PEON. So many words for the put upon.
67. Indian state that was part of a former Portuguese colony : GOA. They are famous for their beaches.
68. Tamsui River capital : TAIPEI.
69. Excited about, with "on" : KEEN. A 50s word.
70. "Monsters, __" : INC.
71. Magellan's milieux : OCEANS. He was going round and round.
72. Breyers competitor : EDYS. Yum.
73. Require : ASK. Not want your country can do for you....
1. Regional organisms : BIOTA. Not a term I am really familiar with so my start was slow.
2. Stimulant trademark : ADRENALIN. Synthetic epinephrine which has become more popular than the original adrenaline; quite the rush.
3. Jalapeño product, for some? : HEARTBURN. This is our medical corner with pyrosis, cardialgia, or acid indigestion as other names for the burning sensation in the chest. Per wiki.
4. San José sun : SOL. Spanish.
5. News org. : UPI. United Press International.
6. Court charge caller : REF. Basketball court.
7. Soft tissue : FLESH.
8. In front of : BEFORE.
9. Many sports commentators : EX-PROS. Nice letter string XPR, but conflict with clues below.
10. Bee: Pref. : API. From whence comes Apiary, etc.
11. Chapeau seen in "Ratatouille" : TOQUE. A gratuitous bonus QUE
13. Jury members : PEERS. Such a strange concept.
19. "__-doke!" : OKEY. Okey dokey smokey.
21. Apennines possessive : MIO. Italian, a region and history I did not know. LINK.
25. Ship loading site : QUAY.
26. Word on a bill : UNUM. E pluribus....
27. Old writings mentioning Odin : EDDA.
31. Open __ : MRI. Magnetic Resonance Imaging.
32. Org. requiring milk pasteurization : FDA. Food and Drug Administration.
34. The Bronx's Jerome Ave. line is part of it : IRT. Interborough Rapid Transit. the SUBWAY.
36. Mixture that dissolves gold : AQUA REGIA. Latin for royal water; the question is why do you want to dissolve gold?
37. Rare twosome of July 2015 : FULL MOONS. The even rarer three full moons? LINK.
38. Pro __ : TEM. Followed immediately with the clecho
40. Pro's support : TEE. Then staying in the Ts.
41. 1984 Nobel Peace Prize winner : TUTU. The Anglican Bishop DESMOND.
42. Regarding : IN RE. More Latin.
43. Innocent : NAIF. A guileless, unsophisticated person: babe, child, ingénue, innocent. Same stem as naive.
48. Big name in mustard : GULDEN. Their spicy brown is the third largest in the US behind French's and Grey Poupon.
49. Wolf-headed god : ANUBIS. This is the Greek name for the Egyptian god.
52. Hit on the head : BOP.
53. Book with steps : HOW TO.
54. __ crest: pelvic border : ILIAC.
57. Tremble : QUAKE.
58. Oreos, say : SNACK.
63. Org. monitoring endangered species : EPA. Environmental Protection Agency.
64. Letters of proof : QED. EVERYONE must know this by now.
65. Turn that's hung : UEY.
66. Chekov's "Star Trek" rank: Abbr. : ENSign. Before he became a Captain and an Admiral.
Well another week and month have slipped away, I hope everyone on the east coast is kept safe from Joaquin. I wonder if Mr. Trump will blame that on Mexico as well? No politics. just silliness.
I am tired from the excitement of the new baby, so off to rest; lemonade out.