Theme: Re-imagine and laugh
It has been five years since we last saw this Harvard grad here at the corner. I did not remember much except his distinctive name. His two publications in the LAT back in 2010 were both add on themes, but this is played strictly for laughs with three phrases clued with amusing recasting of the meaning of the words. There are only three themers so there is room for some other long fill, but instead Jascha chose to create a Friday pangram. We do have fresh fill like BURQUA, QUOTABLE, WIZARDRY ARCSIN, SPUDS, HYPOS, JARGON. If you get the humor you will have fun.
20A. One keeping tabs on the best man? : TOASTER TIMER (12). Best man proposes a toast....the phrase sounds a bit forced.
36A. Portrait artist at a gym? : SWEATER DRAWER (13). The guy with his pad watch the people sweat and making pictures.
53A. Coach for a newspaper employee? : PRINTER TONER (12). Back in the gym getting the little printer in shape.
1. Traditional Islamic garment : BURQA. No politics.
6. Big fish : OPAH. We had this fish in a Bruce Haight in October that I blogged.
10. Literary group? : ARTS.
14. On the bad side (of) : AFOUL. He ran afoul of his in-laws.
15. Brazos River city : WACO. Two weeks in a row.
16. Skin malady : CHAP. Half a shout out to me.
17. Primus or Helena, in a classic play : ROBOT. Another R.U.R. reference.
18. Tan relative : ECRU.
19. Cord for Ford, perhaps : TYPO. Cute and much better than an old Gerald campaign slogan.
23. Preserve, in a way : ENCASE.
26. Strict : SEVERE.
27. Feed, but not food : VERB.Really nice misdirection.
28. Ready to pick : RIPE.
32. Court period: Abbr. : SESSion.
33. Abbr. in a footnote : ET AL.
34. Of a battery terminal : ANODAL. Cathodal?
41. Tank type : SEPTIC.
42. Optimist's words : I CAN.
44. Frequent fliers : JETS.
47. Where to see decorative nails : TOES.
48. Defense choice : ZONE. This answer works both for football and basketball.
49. Biblical prophet : SAMUEL. WIKI.
51. Roma's home : ITALIA.
57. Jamaican fruit : UGLI.
59. Augment : ADD TO.
63. Off : DO IN.
64. Impedes, with "up" : GUMS. a four letter word!
65. Haunted house sound : CREAK.
66. Start of a run, maybe : SNAG. Nylons not exercise.
67. Big show : EXPO.
68. Sources of shots : HYPOS. Hypodermics.
1. Shut out : BAR.
2. Mars rover? : UFO.
3. Fleece : ROB. Golden?
4. Like Twain and Wilde, e.g. : QUOTABLE. Nice misdirection.
5. Chorus section : ALTOS.
6. Is short : OWES. I am short.
7. Agreement : PACT.
8. One of 640 in a square mile : ACRE. How many in a section?
9. Quite a while : HOURS. Eh.
10. Prone to heavy market trading : ACTIVE. Stock market.
11. Poet's stock-in-trade : RHYMES. Shout out to Owen and where are you Chairman?
12. Narrows : TAPERS.
13. Fern seed : SPORE.
21. Gas up? : AERATE. AIR
22. Palo Alto-based automotive company : TESLA. Go SEE.
23. First lady? : EVE. Used before but cute.
24. Has left to spend : NETS. Not gross.
25. Dad or fish preceder : CRAW. Very southern.
29. Clumsy : INEPT.
30. City south of Lisboa : PORTO.
31. Murphy who voices Donkey in "Shrek" : EDDIE.
35. Inverse trig function : ARCSIN.
37. Plus : ASSET.
38. Potter's specialty : WIZARDRY. Not ceramics but Harry.
39. Earth sci. : ECOLology.
40. Indian royal : RANI.
43. "Great Public Schools for Every Student" gp. : NEA.
44. Tongue : JARGON.
45. Victim of Iago : EMILIA. Her maid, his wife. Our Friday Shakespeare.
46. What some forks are used for : TUNING. Nice deception.
49. Taters : SPUDS.
50. Overhang : LEDGE.
52. Show : TEACH. We have many here at the Corner.
54. Béchamel base : ROUX. For all our cooks and Louisiana denizens.
55. Sub : TEMP. HG is our resident expert at working as a SUBstitute teacher.
56. Bone, to Benito : OSSO. Straight Italian
60. Bank statement abbr. : DEPosit.
61. Lao Tzu principle : TAO. We have discussed before but if you want you can READ.
62. Sanctions : OKS. The nice meaning of the word,
Sorry, still dealing with sick brother. Remember thanksgiving is coming and let's take time to thank C.C. for the Corner and the joys of life. Lemonade out.