google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday November 1, 2009 Robert W. Harris

Advertisements

Nov 1, 2009

Sunday November 1, 2009 Robert W. Harris

Theme: "That Hurts" - OW in inserted into familiar phrases.

23A. Distinctive Farrah Fawcett feature?: SH(OW)Y LOCKS. Shylock is a loan shark, named after Shylock in "The Merchant of Venice". I wanted SHAGGY LOCKS.

29A. Candlemaker's monthly receipt?: TALL(OW) ORDER. Tall order = Tough task. Candles were made of tallow.

41A. Rollerblading partner of movie camera pioneer Bell?: H(OW)ELL ON WHEELS. Completely stumped me. Not familiar with the base phrase Hell on Wheels or the movie camera pioneers Bell & Howell.

67A. Methods of separating chaff from grain?: WINN(OW)ING WAYS

90A. People afraid of playing the stock market?: TRADING C(OW)ARDS. I like this entry a lot. I collect baseball trading cards and I am definitely a trading coward. Stupid stock market.

108A. Borders for oval paintings?: B(OW)ED FRAMES. Is this a bowed frames, WM?

115A. Including Monopoly money in a trousseau?: D(OW)RY HUMOR. Hilarious.

I knew the gimmick before I even got started. The theme title is very self-revealing, though I thought the inserting word is OUCH, which is too tough as an insertion I suppose.

How long did you spend on this puzzle? I did not peek at the cheat sheet until 45 minutes into the solving, very rare for me on a Sunday. Hope I can be so engaged and self-disciplined next Sunday.

Across:

1. Illinois-based brewery: PABST. Somehow I thought PABST is based in Wisconsin.

19. Correspond: AGREE

20. Some antique radios: RCAS

22. Haughty: ALOOF. Rod Carew is rather aloof. He does not seem to enjoy interacting with fans at all.

25. Earth: SOIL

27. "The Banger Sisters" costar: HAWN (Goldie). Have never seen this film. Looks fun.

31. One at a brayer meeting?: ASS. Ass brays. Nice clue.

33. Coinage: SPECIE. Money in the form of coin. I was stumped last time. Again today.

36. Herbal array, perhaps: TEA BAGS. Perhaps.

39. Son of Seth: ENOS

40. Bluffing strategies: RAISES. Poker. I was thinking of Kim Jong-il's bluffing one-upmanship.

47. Key to getting out of trouble?: ESC. Computer key.

53. On a liner, e.g.: ASEA. AT SEA too.

54. Sharp barks: YAPS. Dogs.

56. Sources of cabinet wood: ALDERS. I wonder if our kitchen cabinet is made of alder.

59. Response to being cut off: HONK. My husband does so often.

60. Jalapeño feature: TILDE. Good clue. Hot!

62. Returning lover's question: MISS ME? Felt silly struggling with this answer.

64. Single show: EPISODE

66. __ Karate: old aftershave: HAI. See this vintage ad. Unknown to me. Hai is simply "Yes" in Japanese and Cantonese.

71. Hindu honorific: SRI

72. Display case: ETAGERE. To display your knickknacks.

74. Know somehow: INTUIT

77. Ted Williams wore it: NINE. Gimme. Mantle's number is 7. Ruth 3.

78. What the heirs split: ESTATE

83. Diminishing returns: LESS. Can you make two sentences for me? I don't understand how the clue & answer are interchangeable grammatically.

86. Proverb ending?: IAL. Proverbial.

87. Bonding words: I DO.

95. 1990s Toyotas: PASEOS. No idea. "Paseo" is Spanish for "a walk" or "a stroll."

98. Copter's forerunner: GIRO (JAHY-roh). Short for autogiro. I forgot also. Gyro is a prefix for "circle"/"spiral". Sandwich too of course.

99. Tennis wear item: SNEAKER. Odd to see a singular noun.

102. Trying experience: ORDEAL

105. Scot's cap: TAM

106. Corn Belt st.: NEB. And TENN (29D. State bordering eight others: Abbr.).

110. Laundry basketful: LOAD

112. The Mideast's __ Strip: GAZA. In the hands of Hamas.

113. As a friend, to Fifi: EN AMI. Fifi is short for Josephine. French name.

117. "__ Grows in Brooklyn": A TREE

118. Actor Santoni: RENI. Nope. Wikipedia says this guy was in "Dirty Harry".

119. Heaviest modern fencing weapon: EPEE. Did not know this trivia.

121. Gardeners, at times: HOERS

122. Nick and Nora's pooch: ASTA. In "The Thin Man".

123. Pills, briefly: MEDS

124. Whimpered: PULED. Got it this time.

Down:

1. Former Turkish title: PASHA. The other Xword Turkish titles are: AGA/AGHA & BEY.

2. Horrified: AGHAST. Always a tricky answer for me, regardless how it's clued.

3. Use Google, e.g.: BROWSE. SEARCH seems fit the clue better, doesn't it?

4. Hanging on by a thread: SEWN. Not "hanged on by a thread"?

5. "Miss Pym Disposes" author: TEY (Josephine). See the book cover. She's clued as "Mystery writer" in our puzzle a couple of weeks ago.

6. Mentor's charge: PROTEGE

7. __ homo: ECCE. Latin for "Behold the Man".

8. Fermented Japanese brews: SAKES. Mirin is the cooking rice wine.

9. "Wild Bill" Donovan's WWII org.: OSS. The CIA forerunner.

10. Gets agitated, Bart Simpson-style: HAS A COW. Nailed it.

11. Put an end to: ABOLISHED

12. Deviousness: GUILE

13. Normandy battle site: ST. LO. Near CAEN, another battle site.

14. Ecclesiastical law expert: CANONIST

16. Behind-the-scenes band worker: ROADIE. And TOTERS (17D. 16-Downs, e.g.). I like cross-references.

18. "I shall be there __ you": "King Lear": AFORE. Poetic "before".

24. Alternative to immediate purchase: LAYAWAY. Not familiar with this payment plan.

30. Prosperity: WEAL. Learned it from doing Xword.

32. Black, to Blake: EBON. Poetic "black". Alliteration again.

34. Menial worker: PEON. Serf is "Menial worker" too.

37. In front: AHEAD

38. Mention casually: SLIP IN. Is this a common phrase?

40. Give fresh life to: RECREATE

42. Catch, as a dogie: LASSO

43. Dubuque-to-Chicago dir.: ESE

44. Like some elephants: ASIATIC. I just do not like Asiatic.

50. Rocket stage: BOOSTER

51. She played Honey Ryder in "Dr. No": ANDRESS (Ursula). I was clueless. See this photo.

52. Yarn units: SKEINS

53. Greek goddess of wisdom: ATHENA. Athens was named after her.

55. Identity crises?: AMNESIAS. My favorite clue today.

56. Nitrogen compound: AMINE

57. 40-day period of penitence: LENT. Fasting sounds very hard.

58. Observe covertly: SPY

61. Barnyard female: EWE. Can't fill in this answer without thinking of our ASCETIC (or Hedonist) Windhover.

63. Houlihan portrayer: SWIT (Loretta). "Hot Lips" from "M*A*S*H".

69. Former "SNL" character Father __ Sarducci: GUIDO. Uh-uh, nope. Wikipedia says he was played by Don Novello. The only GUIDO I know is the music guy. ELA used to be clued as "Guido's high note".

70. Spouses of sports nuts, facetiously: WIDOWS. Golf/baseball are the only two sports I watch.

73. "Really!": GEE

76. Hooch holder: FLASK

79. Bit: TAD

80. Wheel correction: ALIGNMENT

82. "Done so fast?": ALREADY?

85. Regular guys: STEADIES. New definition to me. I always connect steady with dating partner.

91. Massage deeply: ROLF. Named after Ida Rolf. The inventor of such method. Stumped me.

92. Most populous African country: NIGERIA. I had ALGERIA first.

93. Pinot __: GRIS. Penned in NOIR.

94. Brightest star in Scorpius: ANTARES. Ant(i) = rival. Ares, Greek god of war, equivalent of Roman Mars. The planet Mars is of red color. So, Antares, "Rival of the Mars", has to be red and bright I suppose.

95. "Now!": PRONTO

96. Program producing pop-ups: ADWARE

97. Pretender: SEEMER. Man, it's listed in the dictionary.

100. Dentist's concern: ENAMEL

101. Alter, as area boundaries: REZONE

102. Island folk magic: OBEAH (OH-bee-uh). The West Indian sorcery. It escaped me. We had it a while ago.

103. House martins nest under them: EAVES

104. Become a pair without an affair: ELOPE. Wedding affair. I was thinking of the extramarital affair.

107. Displayed openly: BARED

109. __ avis: RARA. Like Kazie. She is so unique and linguistically talented.

111. Didn't pay yet: OWED. This whole puzzle is OW-ed.

115. Jackson was the first to become pres.: DEM. Andrew Jackson. New trivia to me. Lincoln is the first Republican president.

Answer grid.

Note to solvers in Canada: What's on your paper today, "That Hurts" or "Not in Canada"?

C.C.

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! What's going on here? We got a puzzle titled 'Not in Canada'. Has the L A Times changed puzzles on you, or has The Globe and Mail changed our puzzle in Toronto. Whatever, the last few weeks have been so much more delightful to do. However I do look forward to your blog and the last few letter fill ins I can't get. Guess I'll have to wait until next Saturday.

Tom
Toronto, Ontario

Martin said...

"Diminishing returns"? Hmm. The "Law of diminishing returns" is a law from economics which, staeed simply, means that if you own a factory of fixed size and keep hiring workers that each additional worker is going to do LESS work because there's only so much work that can be done at one factory.

The concept of diminishing returns is often applied to education: you know that for students to learn what they need to know for the exam they need to review the material they have already studied but every time you review the material they are in fact learning LESS than they were before because they are invariably going over things they already know.

In each case you are getting "diminishing returns", ie you are getting LESS back than you would if, say, you opened a new factory or began a new lesson.

Martin

Argyle said...

Good Standard Time Morning to You.
After the past week, I was disappointed in this puzzle. I was mucking my way through it untill I hit the SW corner.

I finally had to cheat a little but when it gave me SEEMER I just hit Reveal for the rest of the corner!

A pitcher throwing a SEAMER; now that I can understand.

[Your results may vary.]

eddyB said...

Morning CC,

Does one need to recognize the theme to say that the puzzle is solved?
I didn't think of the other words
formed when (OW) was removed.
Made most of the same mistakes the
first time through and then corrected them.

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

For the most part, this puzzle and I were on the same wavelength and I found it extremely easy. There were a few unknowns, such as HAI and RENI, but those were easy enough to get via the perps.

That darn SW corner, though...

My French is pretty nonexistent, so ENAMI required all the crosses. ROLF was a complete unknown. SEEMERS is a horrible, horrible word that should be taken out behind the woodshed and shot through the lung repeatedly. Ugh. Fortunately, I remembered OBEAH from somewhere and knew "A TREE Grows in Brooklyn" (but please don't ask me what type of tree it was or I might start whimpering). As a result, I did manage to finish that corner unassisted. It wasn't a very pleasant experience, though, and I don't think I want to talk about it any more...

Anonymous said...

@Tom, I get the puzzle here. Our local rag replaced LAT with Wayne Williams syndication last week.

Anonymous said...

According to the PBR bottles they read Pabst Brewing Company Milwaukee Wisconsin.

According to Wikipedia,

In 2005 the board ousted CEO Brian Kovalchuk and replaced him with Kevin Kotecki. Kotecki swiftly moved the Pabst Brewing Company and its roughly 100 headquarters personnel to a Chicago suburb, Woodridge.

PABST

my local bar raised all the prices of beer, with the exception or PBR it is the only beer that is $1 a bottle during happy hour. I like Miller but I have switched to PBR.

KittyB said...

I feel so much better learning that others had difficulty with the SW corner. It's that "misery loves company" reaction. I was able to back and fill the rest of the puzzle without help.

It's a beautiful day in Chicago. I'm going out to put the gardens to bed. I hope you all have a lovely November first!

tfrank said...

Good Morning, C.C. and all,

My time was a little over an hour online. I got the theme right away with talloworder, which helped a lot. I agree with other posters about the SW corner, I did not know pasesos, obeah; seemers is an awful word as Barry said; I don't have much French, so enami was tough; never heard the word steadies used this way; etc. I also have never heard of bedframes.
Somehow, I was able to work through it with some good guessing and a pause for breakfast.

Beautiful day here also. Looking forward to watching them rejuvenated Cowboys at noon.

Happy Lord's Day to all

Hahtoolah said...

Morning, CC and Friends:

How many of you awakened way toooo early this morning?

This was a good puzzle, but I did have to BROWSE Google for a few answers. I did catch on to the OW theme fairly early.

For Correspond, I wanted WRITE instead of AGREE, but no one writes any more, they e-mail.

I loved the Jalapeno feature /TILDE and Brayer meeting / ASS clues the best.

I wonder if gardeners really liked to be called HOERS (121A).

Today marks the official ending of the 2009 Hurricane season.

QOD: I dislike modern memoirs. They are generally written by people who have either entirely lost their memories, or have never done anything worth remembering. ~ Oscar Wilde.

Rex Parker said...

Having King LEAR in a clue and an answer is pretty bad form. Otherwise, this was a fine romp. Under 10 min. = very easy. New to me: RENI / [Actor Santoni].

OBEAH is an impt word to commit to memory. Not common, but common enough to recur on you (60% vowels = useful).

rp

Dick said...

Good morning C.C. and all, I had lots of time to work on this puzzle as I got awake at
4:30 am instead of my normal 5:30 am. I even remembered to set the clocks back, but forgot the internal clock.

I seemed to have many of the same problems as C.C. had and in addition I had a few problems of my own doing. For example, I had search in lieu of browse, had a cow in lieu of has a cow, kiss me in lieu of miss me and noir in lieu of gris. These errors made for a long and difficult puzzle solving experience today. I was not able to complete the puzzle without outside help. That’s too bad for me as I wanted more difficult puzzles. Overall I liked the experience.

C.C., I don’t know if stores still have layaway programs now with the proliferated use of credit cards. I know when I was small my mother would put things on layaway until she had the money to pay for the item. Today it is just charge it and be damned the consequences.

Hope you all have a great Sunday

Clear Ayes said...

Good Morning All, Not too tough today, although I had to make several passes Across and Down to finish it up. I caught the theme after SHOWY LOCKS and TALLOW ORDER, so was on the lookout for OW along the way.

I liked the cross of WHEEL and WEAL. I wasn't too sure of WEAL to begin with, I had it confused with WHEAL. Oh those pesky homophones and heterographs!

I was rather proud of myself that TILDE didn't get by me. RENI, NINE and OBEAH were "How did I know that" answers. PASEO was one I just plain didn't know. Then, of course, there was SEEMERS...no comment.

I always liked Father GUIDO Sarducci on SNL. This one is for WM.

Hahtool, QOD...how could Wilde have anticipated Sarah Palin's big splash memoir "Going Rogue"?

Annette said...

C.C.: Is the "Not in Canada" just an alternate title to account for the different accent for that sound? Or do they not have the puzzle at all today?

Also, I consider SLIP IN a common phrase. I often say "Excuse, me. I just need to SLIP IN here" when I'm walking with someone and decide to detour into the rest room. Or people are having a converation in my way of reaching something. And finally, when you might SLIP IN a little bomb or tidbit of information to a conversation by "casually mentioning" that you're pregnant, and continue on to another topic!

Dick: With the current economic situation, some stores are resurrecting the Layaway Plan, a concept I've never been fond of. I think I saw an announcement this summer that K-Mart/Sears have (has?) done that.

I slogged thru the puzzle, but had the hardest time in the SW too. Finally finished it with a couple red letter helpers. Didn't even notice the title and never thought to look for a theme. I'm not sure they'd have helped me or not though.

I enjoyed the puzzle, even it caused me to run out of time for the little bit of gardening I wanted to SLIP IN today... Favorites were "brayer" and HOERS.

Enjoy the extra hour today!

Stan Olsen said...

And on the West Coast as well... Not in Canada is in the Globe... are you going to publish it???

DCannon said...

Whoa! I was working it online because our paper does not carry the Sunday LAT puzzle. I worked for about 10 mins - once across and most of the downs. Went away to do something else for about an hour. When I came back, I worked for about one minute and it shifted me to another page advertising the LAT paper. Tried to use the back button to retrieve, but didn't work. By the time I finally got back to the puzzle, it wae blank. Didn't have the heart to do it again. I did have the theme by that time, though.

Shoulda gone to church, I guess.

Jeannie said...

I am not sure if anyone is checking birthdays here anymore, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAROL!

Mainiac said...

Good Afternoon All,

This was a bit of a slog for me with same probs others have talked about. In addition the NW gave me fits because Showy Locks is not what I think of when Farrah's name is mentioned. Pabst is my beer of choice which I never new the company to be based in Illinois.

Barry, nice job on the costume. Can you e-mail me directions on how to link a picture?

Off to our last football game of the year. Hard to believe 10 weeks have gone by so fast.

Have a good one.

Mary said...

I started the day too early. But since I normally sleep in on the weekend it's hard to tell just how early. A mid-morning nap balanced things out.

Today's crossword was a perfect level for me. Easy enough to do almost all of it with perps on the second or third pass, some google answers to get my husband involved too. I enjoyed the challenge.

A regular guy is a STEADY, one you can count on for a date. LAYAWAY has the advantage of no interest, and you can walk away from it if you change your mind without losing more than you've already paid. If you SLIP IN that you're pregnant, you must have spent some time with a BEDFRAME ENAMI maybe after sipping PINOT GRIS. Is PINOT GRIS as disgusting as it sounds?

Happy Birthday, Carol!

PanGraham said...

Got thru this one ok after revisiting the LA times site for some missing clues. I had been handicapped a bit by printing out a blank xword to solve while eating breakfast. Some of the down clues did not print (the ones between 76 and 87 today) as I have found is often the case with the bigger Sunday puzzles. Only a partial title of "That" printed too, rather than "That hurts!". So although I did get the theme answers, I didn't really grasp the "ow" theme until checking here.

I was pleased to pick up a few new words and phrases in the process of solving, a nice bonus. Among them: "Specie" (I believe I've seen this one in xwords before); and "obeah", "ecce homo", and "enami" (all new for me, but not stumpers). Beside some of the theme answers, I liked the "one at a brayer meeting" (although I was thinking "dem" with their donkey mascot would have been a better answer) and "key for getting out of trouble clues". Answers for "pretender" and "give fresh life to" were IMHO rather below par.

C.C., I had thought Pabst had been WI based as well, and I fought that as the answer for awhile. Seems to me that I toured their big Milwaukee plant years ago when it was still operational. Wikipedia has come to the rescue to shed some light on the matter with some company history. I also toured the Ambrosia chocolate factory there back when in was operation downtown there too. Here's a bit more on
on some past Milwaukee based icons.

donnie said...

As usual I never finish without looking up the answers. Today I considered that I did well because I finished about 80% without help. Thanks to C.C. for providing the answers and the inciteful comments.

Anonymous said...

More and more papers are dropping la times, rich norris still wants to increase the difficulty?

kazie said...

Quite a bit of red letter help for me today, and same problems as many others have already mentioned.

Although I guessed EN AMI with no trouble, I don't remember seeing it in a French context, but it's in my dictionary. Maybe I've just been away from the language for too long.

I got the OWs early on and that helped a lot. Unknowns were PULED, HAI, PASEOS, RENI, IRENE, TOTER, AMINE, SEEMER (I loved Barry G's comment on this). Perps helped a lot with all these.

Thanks C.C. for your compliment. And thanks Jeannie for the reminder--Happy Birthday to Carol!

embien said...

31:48 today What a slog in the SW corner. I couldn't see B(ow)ED FRAMES at all, and though I've seen OBEAH before, I couldn't ressurect it from my memory without all the crosses. SEEMER and STEADIES (as clued) were both a stretch. All that means that I spent 20 minutes on the SW corner, filling in those last 8 or so squares. Ugh!

I did like the theme, but I thought SH(ow)Y LOCKS and B(ow)ED FRAMES were pretty weak. The other theme entries were fun, especially WINN(ow)ING WAYS and D(ow)RY HUMOR--pretty cute.

But, oh that SW corner. Kinda spoiled the experience for me. Nothing could destroy the euphoria here in Duckland than Oregon's win over USC last night, though. Oh yeah, and Oysters Benedict for breakfast this AM.

Barry G. said...

@mainiac: C.C. has posted some instructions on including links here. The important thing to remember when it comes to linking to pictures is that you first need to have the picture stored online somewhere. If it's just on your computer, you're out of luck.

Robin said...

Hi CC and everyone. I always have a difficult time with Sunday c/w, but seemed to have the same problems as many of you. Hard to reset the internal time clock, but it is a beautiful day in Phoenix. Have a wonderful Sunday all!

WM said...

Well at least I feel better that I wasn't the only one who got hung up in the SW...big bummer. I had A TREE and HOERS(iffy answer) and FRAMES but for the life of me PASEOS just didn't happen and even seeing it, I recognize it, but didn't think it was a Toyota for some reason. I did get PABST for some totally unknown reason and the whole top 3/4 of the puzzle. Ate worms on OBEAH because I knew we had had it before but just could not dredge it up.

The OW was a given after SHOWY LOCKS but I just couldn't put together B(OW)ED...D'oh! And C.C., yes that could be considered a bowed frame...The fact that the word oval was used in the clue threw me off. Everything else was pretty easy but I also got hung up the EN of EN AMI...

Mary...Pinot Gris is a lovely slightly dry white wine that, lightly chilled, goes well with many lighter foods and along with really good French(Provencal) roses and Moscatos from Italy. They are terrific summer wines.

Father Guido Sarducci was very popular here in the Bay Area for a long time.

Happy 29th Birthday Carol :o)

Robin...I have a friend who lives in AZ and they don't do Daylight Savings Time where she is so that during the summer her time matches mine here in Calif. Now, with the time change, we are back to her being an hour ahead, so I am confused about your statement? Do only some parts of AZ switch over?

Hope you all a great All Hallows Eve and enjoy a peaceful and relaxing All Saints Day.

bunny said...

@BarryG: yes, SEEMER is terrible; after shooting it in the lung several times, please then set it on fire.

@PanGraham: same thing happened on my print job. This has happened previously and I sent a message to the puzzle source that it could be avoided if they more equally distributed the down clues over the two columns rather than have the first column flirt so close to the border line. Apparently no one listened.

@C.C. and everyone: thanks for all the tidbits of information you provide. I learn a lot coming here.

re: MISS ME? (returning lover's question) -- reminds me of the Country Western song "How Can I Miss You if You Won't Go Away?"

Robin said...

No, sorry WM. I forget that you all don't know me well (yet) I just moved to Phoenix from Colorado. You are right, I believe most of AZ stays the same. Sorry bout that! I still operate on Colorado time.

eddyB said...

Hello.

When we first moved to Phoenix in 1966, they went on MDT. It was still over 100 at mid-night. We would jump into the pool and be
completely dry 5 minutes later.
The drive-ins didn't start their
movies untill 10 pm so we would dress Brian in his pjs and let him sleep on the back seat.
I finally ordered a Windows7 lap top. The XP OS joins the bowling ball and golf clubs in that great attic in the sky. Or will when someone comes that can climb the ladder.

eddyB

Joyce said...

Wow a tough puzzle today - not for my brain - for my eyes. I struggled to fit SKEIN into 53D and much later realized that it went in 52D. ENAMI was definitely my enemy today. Had problems like many with SW corner. The only one I was sure of was ATREE.
Knew I was thinking way outside the box when I wanted TUNA for 77A Ted Williams wore it.
Tomorrow is another day.

JimmyB said...

Add me to the list that struggled in the SW corner. Took me 75 minutes with pencil and paper (sub-60 is a good Sunday for me). I might have been quicker but I got stubborn and refused to go to Mr. G for help.

I grasped the theme early on, but can't say it helped that much.

Never heard of RENI, ASTA, ROLF, TEY or OBEAH but managed to get them with lucky guesses.

I too have problems with printing the Sunday puzzles, with the last 2 1/2 rows cut off and many down clues missing. Yet when I'm at our summer place it prints out just fine. I have an iMac here but a PC there. Could that be the problem?

Wasn't Ursula Andress also known as "Ursula Undress" (for the type of role she often played)?

Jazzbumpa said...

Hi gang -

Bed frames are the headboard, footboard and side rails. BOWED FRAMES are my glass, after I sit on them.

I could never get a Sunday puzzle to print properly from the LA Times site. Using Cruciverb and Across Lite makes everything good.

There was a lot to like in today's puzzle, starting with Farrah's shaggy (OK - SHOWY) LOCKS, but when it was bad it was horrid. As mentioned by many, the SW corner was an ORDEAL. I agree with Argyle and Barry about SEEMER. Have no recollection of the Toyota PASEO. OBEAH is crosswordese at its worst. Amis, EN AMI, don't let STEADIES cross HOES - though I think the former is a fine fill for the nicely misdirecting regular guys.

I played Romo today in my fantasy team, and he rewarded me with 3 TDs! Woohoo!

Had the earthly remains of my poor tree chipped up and hauled away today. They'll come back for the stump next week.

Cheers!
JzB the stumped trombonist

Jeannie said...

Jeannie here just to boast that the VIKINGS WON, THE VIKINGS WON, THE VIKINGS WON. There is no better team to beat than your rival.

Quick recipe:

Unwrap one of those left over candies, pop it into your mouth...savor.

WM said...

CA...thanks for the link...I had another program running on the computer at the time I was reading the posts and didn't click on it...yep, that's pretty much it.

Mary...thanks. I wasn't sure if I had misremembered something on the time change.

MJ said...

@JimmyB and others who have iMacs--
I used to have the same problem with printing out the Sunday puzzle. Here's how I solved it. When I bring up the puzzle and get ready to print, I get a "Page Setup" box. One of the options is "Format for: Any Printer." Click on the arrows and bring up your personal printer you want to use. This has solved the problem of the missing grid, but not the missing clues. For those I just go on-line to the original site. Hope this helps!

G'night, all!

Mainiac said...

Good Evening,

Really late for me. We lost our football game (but actually won because the stupid f******* ref needed glasses not to see we scored with 6 seconds left!!

Glad we had B belt night tonight to work out some ire!

Thanks Barry! Now that we're wired at home I'll have to work on that. Not much of a Facebook guy.

Happy Birthday Carol!!
Popping the tops off a couple of PABSTS!! Cheers!

Fingers are getting fatter!

Good night!

Annette said...

C.C.: I noticed in the paper today that the movie "The Banger Sisters" will be on Liftetime channel this coming Wednesday night (11/04/09), 9 pm EST.

Martin: I forgot to say thank you for providing the explanation for "Diminishing returns".

Anonymous said...

I got "Not in Canada" in the Globe and Mail yesterday and was surprised to find another puzzle being covered by C.C. Too bad as the Canadian clues were quite nifty AND I finished the whole puzzle with only minor help from Google. I wonder what we will get next week.
Audrey in Ingersoll, Ontario

carol said...

Hi all...thanks so much for the birthday wishes.
Will be back on the c/w and blog tomorrow.
Have been occupied with re-decorating issues which have turned out very well..lot's of work but worth all of it.
:)

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Martin,
Thanks for the clear explanation on LESS.

Annette,
The Globe and Mail might reverse back to LA Times. Not sure.

Carol,
Happy Birthday!

Audrey,
Who is the editor/author of your "Not in Canana"?

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Robin, Bunny and Donnie,
Hey! Nice to "meet" all of you.

Barry G,
Great pictures yesterday.

WM et al,
Thanks for the sherry advice yesterday. No more cooking sherry for me from now on.

Anonymous @ 12:17pm yesterday,
Al's paper does not carry LA Times any more. Hope he'll find time to do it on-line, as I enjoy his posts very much.

Valerie said...

I am in Canada and got "That Hurts!" in my local paper (Victoria Times Colonist).

Sorry for the late response. Got a very late start to the puzzle today after falling asleep while reading the paper this afternoon. Don't know why after an extra hour sleep last night!

JimmyB said...

MJ - Thanks for your suggestion re printing the Sunday puzzle. I tried it, and it worked . . . a little. I got one more line of puzzle and one more down clue, but I'm still missing about 1/2 inch. Maybe I'll just have to try solving online instead of pencil and paper.

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Valerie,
Thank you for the feedback. I am glad you have the same puzzle as we do. See you next Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I didn't like this puzzle at all. It took way too much time and even prompted me to put my two sense in. I print these from the internet because our newspaper stopped the la times crosswords and put in stanx.

gobjob said...

Testing to see if I can post from by google account.

Anonymous said...

Don't know who the editor/author of the Not In Canada puzzle is. The Globe and Mail never gives the author, only the title.
I see that C.C. mentions the London Free Press as having the daily puzzle. I shall have to look into this as it is my local paper.
Audrey in Ingersoll, Ontario

Zhouqin (C.C.) Burnikel said...

Andrey,
Thank you for getting back to me. See you next Sunday.