google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Gareth Bain

Advertisements

Sep 19, 2012

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Gareth Bain

Theme: BACK TO THE FUTURE WITH THE HONEYMOONERS. No that's not some sort of glaring error. After the 1960 success of the Flintstones - which was the Honeymooners, reset in cartoon creationist pre-history - the same formula was applied two years later to a space-age toon family, giving us our reveal, which will be revealed at the appropriate moment.

17A. Leader for whom Houston's airport is named : GEORGE (JETSON) BUSH. Poppy or W?

24A. "The Chimpanzees of Gombe" writer : JANE (JETSON) GOODALL. A British primatologist, ethologist, anthropologist, and author.

34A. "Superfudge" novelist : JUDY (JETSON) BLUME. Writer of children's books and racy adult novels.

49A. Pro Football Hall of Famer nicknamed "Crazylegs" : ELROY (JETSON) HIRSCH. As an amateur, he was a football running back and receiver with the University of Wisconsin and the University of Michigan. As a pro, he played for the Chicago Rockets of the old All-America Football Conference, and then with the L.A. Rams. He is a member of both the College Football and Pro Football Halls of Fame.

And the reveal, since now is the appropriate moment. 58A. TV series that first aired 9/23/1962 whose family shares first names with 17-, 24-, 34- and 49-Across : THE JETSONS. And here is the THEME theme.

Hi gang, It's JazzBumpa, reunited with Gareth. Once upon a time, three of my consecutive blogging dates corresponded with three consecutive publications of his puzzles - a coincidence beyond all probability, since my blogging dates were irregular. I always enjoy Gareth's puzzles. Didn't we have one just last Wednesday? I thought that would be a near miss. Let's see what he has for us this time.

Across:

1. 1983 movie about a taxi company : D.C. CAB. A cheesy, B-grade comedy starring Mr.T.

6. Place for a sala : CASA. A Spanish room in a Spanish house. ¿Entienden?

10. Home on the range : CAMP. A temporary home, I guess.

14. Kukla's dragon friend : OLLIE. Back to the past, with these TV puppets from my childhood.




15. Israeli weapons : UZIS. A family of Israeli open bolt, blowback-operated submachine guns. I have no clear idea what that means.

16. Optic layer : UVEA. The middle of three concentric layers that make up the eye. Per Wikipedia, "it is traditionally divided into 3 areas, from front to back, the iris, ciliary body, and choroid." Now you know.

19. Really tired : BEAT. Like I feel, and I'm just getting started.

20. Highlands honey : LASS. Sure.

21. Narrow-bodied river fish : GAR. Not her.

22. Intrinsically : PER SE. Latin. That's going way back.

23. Christmas __ : EVE.

27. Fixed, in a way : GELDED. Ouch! I had WELDED, at first, which is another way to be fixed.

29. Farm feed item : OAT. Feed bag morsel.

30. Salon supply : GEL. For me, this was slow to set.

31. Saloon orders : RYES. This took lots of perp help. Ironically, I am sipping a snifter of Ole George Whiskey, a genuine Michigan RYE from the Grand Traverse Distillery as I write this.

32. Hot tub reaction : AAH. Or reaction to a sip of Ole George.

33. Bit of background in a Road Runner cartoon : MESA. I tried SAND at first.

38. Nick and Nora's pooch : ASTA. The crossword canine mascot.

41. Cold War agcy. : A.E.C. Atomic Energy Commission. Now the Nuclear Regulatory Agency.

42.
Shell propellers : OARS. At The Free Dictionary, definition 3b is "A light, long, narrow racing boat propelled by rowers." Definition 4 is "A small glass for beer." AAH!

45. Starfish arm : RAY.

46. WWII craft : L. S. T. Landing Ship Tank. Frequent fill item these days.

47. Not a good thing to be at the wheel : ASLEEP. Unless you're on Rt. 66.

53. Traffic cops gp.? : D.E.A. Drug (traffic) Enforcement Agency. Tricky!

54. Maxim : ADAGE. For example: "History repeats itself, first as tragedy, and then as farce." The actual quote
goes like this: "Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce." Extra credit, if you can identify the source - without Google!

55. Do lunch, e.g. : EAT.

56. Speaker with a .345 career batting average : TRIS. Frequent visitor to crosswords, this center fielder played for the Red Sox, and Indians from 1909 to 1926.

57. Stallion feature : MANE. The line of hair on the back of a horse's neck.

61. Henry VIII's fourth : ANNE.
The marriage lasted from Jan. 6 to July 9, 1540. Henry demanded an annulment, which she granted, thereby keeping her head and gaining a generous settlement, including a castle formerly occupied by the Boleyns.

63. Squander : WASTE. ANNE chose not to Squander her life.

64. Ponies up : PAYS, as, frex, to a former wife.

65. Office furnishing : DESK.

66. Some McFlurry ingredients : OREOS. A frozen yogurt confection from McDonald's, with pieces of candy or cookies mixed in.

Down:

1. Zigzag hole feature : DOGLEG. Golf. So named because of it's sharp bend. I was fixated on a zigzag shaped perforation. D'OH!



2. Chop chopper : CLEAVER. Meat!

3. __ held: in few hands, as stock : CLOSELY. Like most of Ford.

4. Snob's affectations : AIRS. The best I could do.

5. Avoid, as an issue : BEG. I assume this refers to the logical ploy of BEGGING the question, which I will not attempt to explain.

6. Like many Miamians, by birth : CUBAN.

7. Clear blue : AZURE. Like the Miami sky.

8. Girl sib : SIS. I have one.

9. Campfire remains : ASH.

10. Like ice or dice : CUBED. Clever clue.

11. Run-of-the-mill : AVERAGE.

12. Spotty condition? : MEASLES. One of the dreaded childhood diseases.

13. Kneecap : PATELLA. Knees like these, if you please.

18. "I say!" : EGAD. Zounds!

22. Patio planter : POT. Our patio pots are only AVERAGE. They contain flowers.

24. Savior in a Bach cantata : JESU. This one.

25. Purpose : GOAL. Gareth's purpose is to entertain; my goal is to inform. How we doin'?

26. Interstate H-1 locale : OAHU. Map.

32. "Modern Family" network : ABC.

33. Square food? : MEAL. Three square meals a day.

35. Salt sprinkle : DASH.

36. Himalayan myth : YETI. He has an odd fondness for Ole George.

37. Dance in a pit : MOSH. Knock yourself out.

38. Visitors center handout : AREA MAP.

39. Zoe of "Avatar" : SALDANA. Better without the CGI.

40. Abuse of power : TYRANNY.

43. Flower for one's honey : RED ROSE. If she is your cup of tea. Or is this putting on AIRS?





44. Foreknow, as the future : SEE INTO. I see me sleeping in tomorrow.

46. Caustic stuff : LYE. And that's the truth!

47. Part of a Molière comédie : ACTE. Play acting, in French. Est-ce donner des airs?

48. Avoids an F : PASSES. Scholastic. Whether this is acing or eking out a D is unspecified.

50. Arches with pointed tops : OGEES. More DEJA vu.

51. Oboist's supply : REEDS. O GEE, we don't usually see oboes in the clue. They use double reeds.

52. Noted vowel seller : SAJAK. Wheel. Of. Fortune. I wanted VANNA.

56. Nicholas II, e.g. : TSAR. Back to the past, again. The last one, reigning from 1894 to 1917.

58. Wee bit : TAD.

59. Hotfoot it, old-style : HIE. Soon I will hie off to bed.

60. Pair : TWO. Gareth and I, together again.

Answer grid.

We had some fresh fill and some old familiar friends, and a bit of trickery along the way,. Hope you enjoyed it.

Jazzbumpa

45 comments:

fermatprime said...

Greetings!

Up again too late, darn it!

Fun puzzle, Gareth, although I was not really familiar with The Jetsons! nice explanation, Jazz. Will check the multitudinous links at a later time!

Favorite answer: MEAL.

Happy hump day, all!

Barry G. said...

Morning, all!

Mostly an easy, breezy puzzle for me today. I've never heard of ELROY Hirsch, but fortunately I had figured out the theme by that time and I know all my Jetsons.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Jazzbumpa and friends. Yes, you certainly did inform us today. Who knew of the link between Jackie Gleason, Fred Flintsone and George Jetson??!!

I really hate having to fly through the GEORGE BUSH (as in poppy) International Airport. I have to walk miles down the terminal where my flight home originates.

I originally tried Tent for Home on the Range.

I was in Macy's over the weekend and the story already had a Christmas display set up. It's not even close to Christmas EVE!

The marriage of Henry VIII and Anne of Cleves was supposedly not consummated, so she was able to get an annulment. If she were still alive, she would be celebrating here 497th birthday this Saturday.

QOD: Polite conversation is rarely either. ~ Fran Lebowitz

thehondohurricane said...


howdy folks,

Jazz nailed it when he mentioned new fill and old friends. Unfortunately some of the new fill was out of my wheelhouse. 34A JUDY BLUME & 37D, MOSH were unknowns, but MR G provided the correct fill. Anyways, I consider it another DNF.

Was happy to see ELROY HIRSCH, aka Crazy Legs. He and Bob Waterfield (MR Jane Russell) formed a dynamic passing attack. Too bad they played before televised games.

Remember the Jetsons well. I too as curious which George the Houston airport was named after.

I kept wondering what PERSE was and then my AHA moment arrived when I saw PER SE.








Hahtoolah said...

Aargh! It's talk like a Pirate Day!

Dudley said...

Hello Puzzlers -

WBS.

Morning JazzB, thanks for today's enlightenment. I discovered that I have misused the phrase "begs the question". Good to know!

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, Gareth Bain, for an excellent puzzle. Thank you, Jazzbumpa, for an equally excellent review.

This was a good Wednesday level puzzle, IMHO. Fell together, but not too easily.

Everything up north was fairly easy except for BEG at 5D. I saw Jazzbumpa's explanation link and I still do not get it. Any thoughts?

The themes cameos easily, except for JUDY BLUME. I remember Crazylegs Hirsch, from history, but his given name I had to perp.

As others said, MOSH was a newbie. Watched the link. OK.

RED ROSE reminded me I just bought a box of Red Rose Tea, Earl Grey, of course. Not as good as my normal Earl Grey. You don't get the little figurine anymore. You have to order them.

CUBED was clever.

En route to Illinois. See you tomorrow.

Abejo

Lemonade714 said...

always fun to have a Gareth to solve. thought the salon saloon clues were fun. where are Rosie and Mr. Spacely?

Argyle said...

To beg off is to avoid.

Deja Vu again.

Spitzboov said...

Good morning JazzB and everyone. Good intro.

This one seemed easier than yesterday's. A little DÉJÀ VU with LST and OREOS but fresh stuff, too, with PER SE and PATELLA. RED ROSE reminded me of Lili von Shtupp (Madeline Kahn) saying 'wed wose' in Blazing Saddles. Got SALDANA from the perps. Do not remember Henry's wives in order but ANNE seemed like a good guess. No issues, no searches needed. Gareth's puzzles are always fun to solve.

Enjoy the day.

Mari said...

Great puzzle today. I got the theme early and everything fell nicely into place. Some great clues included:

27A: Fixed, in a way: GELDED
53A: Traffic Cops Gp.? DEA
33D: Square Food? MEAL

My favorite George Jetson quote: "These three day work weeks are killing me!" If only!

grams said...

Great puzzle and write up! New to me "mosh" dance. Had duo for 60 down.

Houston's airport and Dallas' turnpike are both named after Geo. H W Bush!

Have a good Wed.

grams said...

Great puzzle and write up! New to me "mosh" dance. Had duo for 60 down.

Houston's airport and Dallas' turnpike are both named after Geo. H W Bush!

Have a good Wed.

kazie said...

I did enjoy this despite the many unknown names and sport references, most of which I got with perps and WAGS. But I had no idea about OLLIE and Kukla or DOGLEG, so missed there with ILLIA/DIGLEW (WELDED) and BAG, which I was thinking could mean you just put it out of sight and mind.

My only knowledge of a dog's leg reference is to a badly crooked hair part like a "dog's hind leg".

HeartRx said...

Good morning Jazzbumpa, C.C. et al.

Jazz, I think you did as splendid a job informing as Gareth did entertaining this morning!! Fun theme, which I totally did not get until the reveal. But I remembered all the characters from the show, and it was really neat to see them linked with real people's names.

This one seemed really easy for me today for some reason. I liked the CASA/UZIS CAMP/UVEA NE corner, which gave us CUBAN and CUBED for the downs. Hand up for a brief moment of puzzlement in sussing PERSE....

Happy Talk Like A Pirate Day, everyone! ARRRRR.

Anonymous said...

That would have to be a Sunday puzzle.

Middletown Bomber said...

fun puzzle, Haven't seen Elroy hirsch in a long time if I recall it is usually clued for the answer to be "Crazy Legs" I recall reading a short story about a football game between the LARAMS and the NYYANKS where Crazy legs caught several touchdown passes thrown by BAck up QB Norm van Brocklin. On the theme the Jetsons are essencially the flintstones in the future and the flintstones were clearly the prehistoric animated honeymooners. But there are vast differences between the honeymooners and the jetsons has anyone ever noticed that george has no friends outside of his boss and his bosses rival.

Yellowrocks said...

Gareth's purpose is to entertain; my goal is to inform. How we doin'?
A+ for both of you. Extra credit to Jazz for entertaining us,as well. Kudos to Garteh for making a very easy puzzle interesting. That doesn't happen all the time.

This was a quick romp. Unknowns were DCCAB, filled in by PERPs and WAGs and SALDANA, all PERPs. I blew by some clues correctly without even seeing them until I came here.

I liked CLEVER, DOGLEG, MEAL, GELDED among others.

My favorite link was When I Take My Baby to Tea.

As a teacher I am quite familiar with Judy Blume's children's books. I didn't know she wrote for adults. I'll have to check that out.

desper-otto said...

Good job today, JzB. I, too, was thinking of a jagged perforation, and initially tried PINKED as in pinking shears. And my GELDED began life as GELLED.

Hand up for wanting VANNA before SAJAK. Of course, Vanna doesn't sell anything, SAJAK sells the vowels. Did you catch last night's program. A man who's occupation is psychic adviser has written a book that he's hoping to get published. Pat commented something to the effect that ,"I'd wish you luck, but you already know how it's going to turn out." LMAO!

Yes Bush Intercontinental was named for George Sr. Otherwise it'd be named Shrub International.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed this Wed. puzzle fairly easy for me .. But didn't understand Perse?? Someone else enlightened me .. Per se oh alrighty ...

desper-otto said...

Now what didn't I see that "who's" before I hit Publish?

Anony-Mouse said...

Thank you Gareth Bain for a very challenging puzzle and JazzB for a charming commentary - with lots of links. I got about 90% of the answers, but a DNF.

I did not know they could grow pot on the patio ... I thought that was grown in the basements. (... so all my heavy duty halogen lights were a waste ....)

I also didnt know that they could name airports after living people ( the rule for USPS stamps). I passed thru Houston on my way to Fresno ! ( .... must have been cheaper.)


The rule for the 'endings' of Henry the 8th's wives is ... Divorced, beheaded, died,... divorced, beheaded, lived.

- Per Antonia Fraser.


ALT QOD:- Being a woman is a terribly difficult job since it consists principally of dealing with men. ~ Joseph Conrad.

Have a nice week, you all.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Gareth's job is to puzzle us. Jzbumpa's job is to unravel the knotty ends. Good on ya! FUN!

I never heard of D.C.Cab so the NW didn't fill. Got all the theme answers. My only viewing of the Jetsons was as I sailed through the livingroom on my way to another chore while my three little ones watched. Knew George, but not the other family names. So the ELROY/SALDANA cross was WAGed.

M_SH PIT? Never heard of that. Wanted MaSH thinking they might be crushing grapes like Lucy.

I'm a happy homeowner. The plumbers had estimated two days work to put in my sewer line. The high summer heat was good for one thing: My clay ground was baked so hard, the trench walls held firm and didn't crumble as the backhoe sliced through.

So the work went fast and I could run water by 3 p.m. The guys were elated. Said they hadn't had a job go this well in a long time. They elated me by knocking $1,500 off the bill! And I didn't have to go sleep in my daughter's uncomfortable guest bed.

Irish Miss said...

Good morning:

Nice Wednesday offering, Gareth; not too easy, not too difficult. Got all of the theme answers but had no knowledge of The Jetsons. Good expo and links, JzB.

Happy Wednesday.

grams said...

Shades of Molly Ivins, Desperato. (shrub)

Jazzbumpa said...

Hi gang -

No takers on the adage quote?

Hmmm - Ralph had Norton, Fred had Barney, and George had . . . nobody?!?!

Didn't remember that part.

Cool regards!
JzB

Lucina said...

Good day, puzzlers. Jazzbumpa, yes you did well with your partner, Gareth. Sparkles all around for both.

WEES. Gareth's puzzles are usually clever and this one definitely fit the bill. It was like a sashay through the MOSH pit, not that I have ever actually been in one, I just read a lot.

Some very witty clues:

home on the range, CAMP
square food, MEAL
shell propellers, OARS
like ice or dice, CUBED then there is CUBAN in parallel.

Thank you Gareth and Jzb. I enjoyed you both. Even ELROY HIRSCH didn't give me grief as it was easily perped.

I hope you are all having a great Wednesday, everyone!

desper-otto said...

Grams, too bad that Molly is gone. She was a hoot!

CrossEyedDave said...

Aargh! (it figures, pirate day!)
All that sussing, what a workout with a very tricky puzzle. But alas, in the end, i fell into the Tsar/Czar trap! 50/50 chance, & my toast always falls butter side down!

Did you know that George & Fred actually met?

& forgive me Jzb, This is sure to annoy the classical music fans:

Eep, Opp, Ork, Ah-Ah!

UhOh, looks like it annoyed the spellchecker too!

Misty said...

A rare trifecta for me this morning: Puzzle, Sudoku, and Kenken! Yay! I needed that in a week when we have serious plumbing repairs, tree rot, and computer glitches to deal with. All things I can handle one at a time, but together---aaaaaarrrgghh.So thank you, Gareth, and JzB for helping this day get off to a great start!

It was great to find I still know my Jetsons! And PK 9:56: our favorite Italian restaurant has a photo of Lucy stomping grapes on the wall!

Have a great Wednesday, everybody!

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon everyone.

DNF. The PERSE got me also. And had no idea about crazylegs, or batting average players.

Thanks Jazz for the "begs the question" clip. That's something that always bugs me when I see it – almost always misused.

And Misty, how did Lucy stomp grapes on the wall? Seems like they'd fall off before she could stomp them.

And I surely agree with all of you who appreciated Molly Ivins.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

PS
Congratulations on your home purchase, Dennis. We once lived next to a golf course, and my son who did play golf had a great time gathering up balls from our lawn. One time a man came bounding up demanding his ball back. My son told him that once the ball was in our yard, it was ours.

And congratulations PK on your plumbing work and refund!

And Misty, best wishes on your repair work all three.

john28man said...

My only problem was JUDY BLUME crossing MUSH. I din't know either.

Another example of "Begging the Question" is:

Tom Brady is a good football player because he is a quarterback.

Obviously, all quarterbacks are NOT good. I was going to use Peyton Manning but then I would be accused of promoting my home team.

tampagirl said...

Morning to all. Great puzzle Gareth and enjoyed Jazz's clever comments. I missread the 6a clue as a place for salsa and put chip. Whaat a difference an s makes. Enjoy Wednesday and enjoy the Jetsons ear worm

Jayce said...

Hello everybody. What a fun puzzle today; thank you, Mr. Bain. Some excellent fill, such as MEASLES, TYRANNY, PATELLA, and CLEAVER. And some neat-o clues, as many of you have pointed out.

Thank you, Mr. Bumpa, for an informative writeup.

Hand up for wondering (for a second) what PERSE is, and also for noticing the CUBED and CUBAN entries. Did not know DC CAB, TRIS, or ELROY HIRSCH, but as Lucina said they were gettable from the perps. I have a vague recollection we've had TRIS before, but it always fools me.

I love Red Rose tea, the regular Orange Pekoe stuff. As for Earl Grey, I think Peets makes the best.

Best wishes to you all.

Ron Worden said...

Good afternoon and happy hump day. Thanks Gareth and Argyle, fun puzzle and theme. As I recall George had Astro the dog as his friend.
To CED Those were my favorite cartoons, George met Fred because of Fred's alien friend the great Gazoo.
Have a great day to all RJW.

The Wizard said...

Good Wednesday stuff!! Liked the theme. Thanx, G.B. Clever puns in clues and fills giving misdirection that was fun. Especially liked the NE: 1D was thinking excavation or sewn rip, 20A expected the condiment, and 27A tried MENDED, MELDED, WELDED and never considered the poor horse!

Thought 10D was a NICE clue.

Not being familiar with old baseball in 56A and given the alternates for 56D, TRIS was a definite WAG, having considered CRIS and CZAR at first.

When I saw all the names, I thought I was in trouble but I knew or at least had heard of them all.

I always cringe when I see the 18D clue. There seems to be a lot of variability in this clue and I always hope it will be EGAD but am never sure.

All in all, a good Wednesday solve. I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.

P.S. I have always been a fan of the clever pun and had a good chuckle again at the "knockers" clip. I am a bigggggg fan of the movies of these guys. I went to a parochial high school where, as Seniors, we put on skits at homecoming. We used the "Out, out damned Spot" from the Shakespeare we had recently studied to be able to "curse" legally on stage, to the delight of the underclassmen and chagrin of the faculty. The witches were stirring a caldron and a butler was shouting and chasing a dog (named Spot) out of the house. All skit scripts needed to be submitted before-hand and approved and FOLLOWED after that one!!

Chickie said...

Hola Everyone, Excellent job of informing, JazzBumpa, on Gareth Bain's entertaining puzzle. Thanks to both of you.

I did finish, but I had to look up Tris. I could have avoided that if I had passes in, but DEA escaped me. I thought that was an excellent clue for Traffic Cops grp.

I've been extremely busy this past few days so have missed blogging. I have read the comments, but when I finish the puzzle at 8 or 9 in the evening, everything has pretty much been hashed over.

Anony-Mouse, Our San Jose airport is named after Norman Mineta. He is very much alive.

The little Red Rose figurines were great prizes for my first graders when then met a reading challenge. I love Red Rose Tea. Their decaf is better than most.

The Wizard said...

Oops, I meant NW, not NE!! Begging your pardons, please.

Lemonade714 said...

Who could ever forget Astro, Scooby Doo's inspiration.

late to the party HBTY for MSO.

Congrats to Dennis, be sure you have safety glass in all of your windows, I have played up there and the houses often get pelted by the errant golf balls.

I think Tris Speaker became famous for his baseball card which was the most expsnive I ever saw when I was young and they talked about Honus Wagner. Maybe we will have HONUS in a puzzler now

Anonymous said...

Astro inspired Scooby-Doo?

Misty said...

Oh Sallie, you're right, of course. Lucy stomped the grapes in a barrel in Italy, or more likely, on a television set in LA somewhere. But nonetheless, when you look up at that restaurant wall, there's Lucy Ricardo stomping those grapes!

And thanks for the good wishes on repairs--I need them.

Dennis said...

The Honus Wagner T206 card from 1908 is considered the holy grail of sports cards. The best example known recently sold for close to $3 million. Just a little piece of cardboard...

Anonymous said...

Actually the AEC split into ERDA (Later the DOE) and the NRC (NuclearRegulatory COMMISSION)

Argyle said...

Thank goodness! It's the NRC; one NRA is enough.

(Don't come gunning for me; I was only kidding.)