google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Wednesday January 8, 2020 Robin Stears

Advertisements

Jan 8, 2020

Wednesday January 8, 2020 Robin Stears

Theme - Letter Openers Redux - or - The First of the Last.  Similar to this recent puzzle we have in each clue fill a name which is a homophone of its initial letter; or, you might say, the name is that letter spelt out.  Back in October, it was done with first names, and this time with last names.

17 A. "Killing Eve" star: SANDRA OH. [b 1971] Winner of many awards.


21 A. Award-winning "A Raisin in the Sun" actress: RUBY DEE. 1922-2014] Actress, poet, screenwriter and civil rights activist.  Also a winner of many awards, she was married to Ossie Davis, and often performed with him.


36 A. "Full Frontal" host: SAMANTHA BEE. [b 1969] Yet another award winner. She was a regular correspondent on The Daily Show for 12 years.


55 A. First chief justice: JOHN JAY. [1745 - 1829]    He was "an American statesman, patriot, diplomat, Founding Father of the United States, abolitionist, negotiator and signatory of the Treaty of Paris of 1783, second Governor of New York, and the first Chief Justice of the United States (1789–1795). He directed U.S. foreign policy for much of the 1780s and was an important leader of the Federalist Party after the ratification of the United States Constitution in 1788." [Wikipedia]

61 A. "Take Good Care of My Baby" singer: BOBBY VEE. Robert Thomas Velline [1943 - 1916] was an American singer, songwriter and musician.  He had 6 gold singles in his career.




Hi Gang, and happy new year.  JazzBumpa here. Not quite on topic - before my sister got married her initials spelt her name - PAT.  It's a red letter day for the famous people featured in our theme. These are my initial thoughts.  Let's see what else is in store.

Across:

1. Clemson's NCAA div.: ACC. Atlantic Coast Conference.

4. Thom of shoes: MCAN.  Brand name and former chain store, founded in 1922.  The brand is now controlled by Sears.

8. Preposterous: ABSURD.  Not to be taken seriosly

14. Mexican Mrs.: SRA.  Abrv. for SeƱora.

15. "__ that the truth!": AIN'T.  Well, maybe it is and maybe it ain't.

16. Bullpen ace: CLOSER. In baseball, a pitcher brought in to secure a win in the last inning of play.

19. Remote: LONELY.  Far away from everything, as in lonely outpost, frex.

20. Cockpit figure: AVIATOR.  Aircraft pilot.

22. Yin partner: YANG.  Not Andrew.  A cosmic duality, sets of two opposing and complementing principles or cosmic energies that can be observed in nature.


23. It's a long story: SAGA.  Originally a Norse story of heroic achievement.  Now any long and involved story.

25. Legal postponement: STAY.  A court ruling to stop a legal process.  Subsequently, the stay might or might not be lifted.

26. Terrific bargain: STEAL.  Figuratively speaking.

28. West with 21 Grammys: KANYE. [b 1977] American rapper, producer and fashion designer.

31. Sugar suffix: -OSE.  Generic ending for the names of various sugar molecules.  The Latin root means "full of," "given to," or "like."

32. Open __ night: MIC.  A live show in which audience members may participate.  Feel free to display your wisdom or foolishness.

34. Bathtub buildup: SCUM.  This occurs when hard water ions, like calcium or magnesium combine with the soap to make a hard, insoluble substance.

35. Spot for pillow talk: BED.  Or sleeping.  Your choice.

39. 23-campus West Coast ed. system: CSU. The California State University System

41. General Bradley: OMAR.  [1893 - 1981] He graduated from West Point in 1915, along with Dwight David Eisenhower.  In 1941 he became the commander of the United States Army Infantry School.  He saw extensive service during WW II, and was appointed as the first chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in 1950.

42. Ariz. neighbor: NEVada.  States in the western U.S.

43. Part of MYOB and BYOB: OWN. That which is yours.  Mind it, and bring it.

44. Justice Sotomayor: SONIA.  [b 1954]  You can read about her life and distinguished career here.

46. Big name in whisky: DEWAR.  An award winning brand of  Scotch whisky originally created in 1846, now owned by Bacardi.

50. Wine quality: NOSE. Aroma.

52. Long-running Mark Harmon military drama: NCIS. A police procedural TV drama based on special agents from the Naval Criminal Investigative Service.  It has aired for 16 full seasons and gone into syndication.

54. Congregation area: NAVE.  The central part of a church structure, adjacent to the chancel or sanctuary.

58. Made a comeback: RALLIED.  A significant recovery after a period of weakness; said of an ill person, lagging sports team or equities market.

60. Synchronicity: UNISON. Nope.  Synchronicity is the idea of "meaningful coincidence:" that events could be connected by meaning, without a common cause.  This is a paranormal concept; whereas science considers such events to be spurious correlations or mere coincidences, since the concept is neither testable nor falsifiable.



62. Fame: RENOWN.  A wag once said that a celebrity is someone famous for being well know.  It's possible I have this backwards.

63. Luminous glow: AURA.

64. KC-to-NYC dir.: ENEEast by North East - the very antithesis of a 1959 Alfred Hitchcock
thriller.



65. English Channel swimmer: EDERLE. Gertrude [1905 - 2003] accomplished this feat on Aug. 6 1926.  Whereas William the Conqueror sat on the continental side for months in 1066 waiting for a favorable wind.

66. Walk of Fame figure: STAR.  Any old star.

67. CD-__: ROM.  Digital data storage device.

Down:

1. Analyzes for purity: ASSAYS.  Conducts chemical tests for composition and quantity.

2. Decorative neckwear: CRAVAT.  Now a rather non-specific designation for various neck-ties, but originally as pictured.



3. Bloodhound, e.g.: CANINE.  Any old dog.

4. Gas station store: MART.  Convenience store.  I like Wawa.

5. They're often exchanged in Venice: CIAOS.  Word of greeting or parting.

6. Hooded Arctic jacket: ANORAK.  An anorak is typically a waterproof, hooded, pull-over jacket whereas parka is a long weatherproof jacket with a fur-lined hood. Most importantly, a parka is typically longer than an anorak. Moreover, some anoraks have drawstrings at the waist or cuffs whereas parkas do not have drawstrings.  [If you're interested]

7. Unspecified degree: NTH. Unlike B.S. M.S. and Ph. D. which are all specified.

8. Org. with a "Speak Freely" blog: ACLUAmerican Civil Liberties Union.

9. Gooey mass: BLOB.


Or see G.R.R.M.'s story A Song For Lya

10. Some HDTVs: SONYS. popular brand name.

11. Was: USED TO BE.  Formerly

12. Turn loose: RELEASE.  Uncage, untie.

13. Unmoved: DRY EYED.  Not in tears.

18. Portuguese explorer Vasco: DA GAMA.  [ca. 1460's - 1524] Portuguese explorer and the first European to reach india by sea, traveling around the southern coast of Africa. The first such voyage started in 1497.

21. Italian alternative: RANCH. Salad dressings.

24. Stomach-related: GASTRIC. The word traces back to Greek, via modern Latin.

27. Bridal party rides: LIMOS.  Large, luxurious, chauffeur-driven automobiles.


29. Chinese currency: YUAN. Approx. 0.14 U.S. Dollar

30. Insert into an email, as a video: EMBED.  Or into a blog post.

33. Commando garb, for short: CAMO.  Clothing with a combination of colors and patterns typical of camouflage, designed to blend in with surroundings.

36. Pleasant forecast word: SUNSHINE. A cloudless sky.

37. Live-in helper, perhaps: NANNY.  Children's care taker.

38. In equal shares: EVENLY.  It's only fair.

39. Cast a spell, say: CONJURE.  More exactly, call forth a spirit or demon.

40. Passed out: SWOONED. Fainted.

45. Freshen by opening windows: AIR OUT.  Let the stale air escape.

47. Written relinquishing of rights: WAIVER. Officially giving up a right or claim.

48. "Skin Mind Balance" brand: AVEENO.

49. Cash in: REDEEM. As coupons.

51. Former CNN journalist David: ENSOR.  He had a long and distinguished career in journalism and government. [reference]

53. Hummus brand: SABRA.  I have some in the fridge.

56. Lower jaw: JOWL.  The meaty part, not the bone.

57. Pulitzer poet Sexton: ANNE.

59. Letter-shaped brace: L-BAR. For mounting shelves, etc.

61. English lit degrees: BAS. Batchelor of Art.

We've come from the beginning to the end, with more awards and initials along the way.  Hope your initial reactions were favorable.

Cool regards!
JzB




37 comments:

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing one of two guesses at Natiks ENSOl x EDElLE,but getting ANNE x EDElLE. Erased open "all" night, SUNny day, Yens and ANaRAK (UNTIE!).

I liked SUNSHINE x CSU. Cal State U - Northridge is universally called called C-SUN. ATC tells pilots going to Van Nuys airport to check in when they get to C-SUN. Van Nuys is one of the busiest general aviation airports in the world, with about 250,000 flight operations per year. The controllers sound like auctioneers during the busiest times.

Commando garb was CAMO, because "no undies" wouldn't fit. Can't REDEEM a Cornerite who would make such a remark.

Day 1 golf report - 2 birdies, 5 pars, 7 bogies, and 4 dreaded "others". Better than I was scoring when I stopped playing last April.

I'm entering a chili cookoff at the RV resort today. I'm making it a lot blander than I did last year. The recipe won a lot of contests in my working days, but it was roundly panned by the voters last year for being too hot.

Thanks to Robin for the fun (except the Natiks) puzzle. And thanks to JzB for the interesting and thorough tour. I'm sure you are proud of this one, but of course wouldn't toot your own horn.

OwenKL said...

FIWrong. RepLIED instead of RALLIED. Didn't know either of the perps.

I know the ALPHABET from A to Z.
The letters do their work and tricks for me!
Some are silent, some are spoke;
Some hide from me in natick smoke,
Till they EMBED in the grid for victory!

OH, did you like the puzzle theme today?
Did you think in made for worthy play?
By using many names
Juxtaposing folks with fame,
Verily, OH DEE BEE, JAY VEE are okay!

Couldn't get those letters to anagram, so I made them an acrostic. That R OK?
{B, B+.}

BobB said...

59D, Lbar is a stretch, it is called a L bracket.

Hungry Mother said...

A little crunchy, but no real problem. I always hesitate at SONIA, SONJA, SONYA and need the perp.

Hungry Mother said...

I kayaked for a marathon swimmer in the Ederle swim from Sandy Hook to the Battery. My favorite moment was paddling under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge, which I ran over a few years later in the NYC Marathon.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

It had all been going so well, until I came here and found out it hadn't. "Made a comeback" -- gotta be REPLIED, right? That made the hummus brand SEBRA (looked OK to me)and that letter-shaped brace a P-BAR(hey, it could'a been!). Bzzzzzt! DNF. The very first puzzle I blogged was a Robin Stears creation. Today she got her revenge. Thanx for your esoteric elucidation, JzB.

DEWAR: CSO to Irish Miss.

BOBBY VEE: He was a Buddy Holly wannabe, and came to fame after Buddy's tragic death. Had Buddy lived, we'd probably never have heard of Bobby.

TTP said...


Good morning.

Didn't know / recall ENSO? (Ensor), no clue on Pulitzer poet Sexton ?NN? (Anne), and EDE??? (Ederle).

Should have remembered JOHN ??Y (Jay), and then I would have gotten ?OW? (jowl), and could have guessed Anna or Anne.

So the SW was a 5 letter DNF. I enjoyed the challenge.

Thank you, Robin and JzB. Welcome back, JzB.


Watched the first two episodes of the Jeopardy! "greatest of all time" clash of the titans event last night. Bet those guys would have buzzed in with ENSOR, ANNE, EDERLE and JOHN JAY with no hesitation.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was an easy, breezy solve with only one w/o: Retried>Replied>Rallied, and only one unknown, Ensor. I checked his picture and I had never seen or heard of him, but I don’t watch ABC news, either. Thanks, DO, Dewar is definitely a CSO to Moi! The theme was cute and Wednesday friendly.

Thanks, Robin, for a mid-week treat and thanks, JazB, for an educational and entertaining review and welcome back!

Yesterday, I discovered that my new iPad purchase gives me a free one-year subscription to Apple TV. I will definitely watch The Morning Show with Jennifer Aniston, Reece Witherspoon, and Steve Carrell. I’ll have to check out their listings to see what else may be of interest.

Lucina, I hope State Farm treats you fairly.

Have a great day.

Robin Stears said...

Thanks for all your insightful comments! It's important (to me) to point out that this is Samantha Bee's crossword puzzle debut. I love her show, and I loved her on The Daily Show. She's smart and feisty. As for the rest, I've heard of them. ;-)

Yellowrocks said...

Name heavy, but now I see the reason for it, a theme based on last names. Only Bobby Vee was new to me. Solid perps.
I guessed the whisky was Scotch because other whiskeys usually have an e before the Y. Hi, Irish Miss.
Nailed DA GAMA. We teachers remember these things even though our students do not.
Amazon sells L bar tools.
L bar tool
IM, are the eye drops helping?

Big Easy said...

I got the letter last name quickly. Wouldn't know who BEE was except for for idiotic TDS display. Very ABSURD. Classless. Even better-SCUM.

David ENSOR-unknown filled by perps
Never knew CONJURE's definition as 'cast a spell'; just as "conjure up.....something"

ACC- let's hope that's the losing conference Monday night against the other Tigers-LSU
ERDERLE- an old crossword regular. What happened to HELOT?
MART- Ever been to a Buckees? Not your average gas station mart.

billocohoes said...

I know what they meant, but the Atlantic Coast Conference is not a division. Clemson's NCAA classification is Division One, and Football Bowl Subdivision. Its conference affiliation is the ACC, its football team is in the ACC-Atlantic Division. The College Football Playoff is recognized by the NCAA but the NCAA does not award its championship.

Spitzboov said...

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the intro, JzB and a Happy New Year to you, too.

Got it all without searches or erasures. Lucky with the WAGS (SAMANTHA BEE), and also with timely perps (SANDRA OH). Some fresh fill like CONJURE and EDERLE and arguably, JOHN JAY ➣➣➣ JOWL. Cluing was simple and straightforward.

Have a great day.

jfromvt said...

I started out a bit slowly for a Wednesday, but once I got the theme was able to finish it up. A few too many names - six others in addition to the theme. Plus several brand names and acronyms made this a bit of a trivia game.

inanehiker said...

Creative puzzle - but pretty smooth solve! I didn't know ENSOR off the top of my head, but when perps took care of it - it looked right. I can never remember if it is EDERLE or EDERLY so I waited for perps on that as well.
I thought BOBBY VEE was a nickname for Bobby Vinton. Thanks for the musical link JazzB - I had heard of that song, but there were so many songs like that during that time span I don't think I could name the specific artist for them. (just a small typo JzB - he died in 2016 - otherwise he died before he was born!! ;) )

Thanks Robin and JzB!

CanadianEh! said...

Wednesday workout. Thanks for the fun, Robin and JzB.
I spent too much time on this CW today when I should have been cleaning up. I got the letter/name theme but I will claim Canadian disadvantage for some of the clues (here's looking at you ACC, CSU, JOHN JAY, SONIA, EDERLE, ENSOR). (But I knew Canadians Sandra Oh and Samantha Bee.)
Came here to discover I FIWed. Like d'otto, I had Replied, giving me Sebra for the unknown hummus brand; I forgot to check about a P Bar with DH.

I saw the CSO to IM with DEWAR.
Hand up for Sunny day before SUNSHINE (hi Jinx).
I waited for perps to decide if those English lit degrees were BAS or MAs.

I smiled when CIAOS filled in. My original thought was Euros. And then I was misdirected by the Italian alternative and LOLed when it turned out to be RANCH dressing.

MCAN just doesn't look right with only one C.
I can never remember the difference between NAVE and Apse.
I think of JOWL as an extension of the cheek flesh, hanging low over the jaw. "Lower jaw" makes me think of a bone, mandible.

I have procrastinated long enough. Off to the chores.
Wishing you all a great day.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-ODBJV? Oh…
-Even the SW corner of obscure names didn’t stay me from swift completion
-Babe Ruth never faced CLOSERS with 100mph fastballs late in games
-Paris Hilton certainly fits the “famous for being famous” RENOWN tag
-Florence Chadwick leapt to my mind as an English Channel swimmer
-CAMO for the jungle is different in the desert
-SUNSHINE from a cloudless sky made for a very pleasant golf round yesterday. Carts are stored so I had to “hoof it”
-My wife feels obligated to REDEEM her Kohl’s coupons
-JOWLS make me think of Nixon

Acesaroundagain said...

Agree, same here, 4 names in the sw corner.

TTP said...



Canadian Eh, thank you for mentioning mandible. That was the word I wanted for lower jaw.

Yellowrocks said...

I looked askance at JOWL, too. JOWL is part of the lower cheek. It is fleshy not bony. The jaw is a bone. Nevertheless I got the fill easily, despite the nit.
I do not understand why constructors need to use so many names. I find that words, whether used literally or as word play, are a lot more interesting than names. There was only one unfamiliar name here for me, gotten by perps and wags. However, even when there are fine perps, familiar names, and the solve ends in FIR, having so many names is a fun sponge. Having them cross for a natick is worse.
I buy Sabra hummus. "Sabra means "rest" in Hebrew. It was a common name in colonial New England, and is still used there. In recent decades, Sabra has come to be a word for a native-born Israeli [from Hebrew į¹£Äbār: sabra, prickly pear], as the fruit is tough and dangerous-looking on the outside but sweet on the inside."
Back resting time is up. Back for another stint of packing up Christmas decor.
I first learned Sabra in the sense of a native born Israeli.

Lucina said...

Hola!

This was fairly easy though I was surprised to see so many names! I had no problems with any of them. ENSOR/EDERLE could have been a Natick but I guessed it right.

I, too, find MCAN disconcerting and always have even when, in the past, I saw it in a store window. I had neighbors named McCann many years ago.

IrishMiss, I thought of you at DEWAR.

It surprised me to see BED as well as EMBED.

Thank you, JazzBumpa; it's great to see you!

Have a lovely day, everyone!

Anonymous said...

I agree with @yellowrocks about the names.Everyday it's the same with the L.A. times puzzle.It was one big natick for me in the southwest corner with the stacked obscure names. The trouble with names is either you know them or you don't and if the perps aren't fair you end up with a DNF in the end. Like today.

Abejo said...

Good morning, folks. Thank you, Robin Stears, for a fine puzzle. Thank you, Jazzbumpa, for a fine review.

Puzzle was a little tough. So tough that I did finish it, but had some errors. Normally I do it on Cruciverb which lets you know if you got everything. Today Cruciverb was out to lunch (again).

I had REPLIED instead of RALLIED. That gave me SEBRA and P BAR.

Wanted SUNNY DAY, but the perps changed my mind. SUNSHINE worked.

Tried SONYA before SONIA worked better with a perp.

Tried RING before SCUM worked better.

I missed the theme. Did not even look for it. Should have.

Cold this morning while guarding. 15 degrees.

See you tomorrow.

Abejo

( )

Misty said...

Bit of a Wednesday toughie for me, but still lots of fun--many thanks, Robin. I had fun starting in the northwest with CRAVAT and AVIATOR and YANG. Got MCAN, and had to laugh when I saw it was CIAOS the folks in Venice exchanged. Had another Italian bump when their alternative turned out to be a RANCH dressing. Interesting to see two Supreme Court Justices--JOHN JAY and SONIA Sotomayor--in the same puzzle. I bet SONIA takes LIMOS at times. Also fun to see STAR and AURA and RENOWN together on the bottom. Now that I think about it, this was a pretty positive puzzle, wasn't it? Thanks again, Robin, and I always enjoy your commentary, JazzB.

Nice to see you back, Owen.

Fun to watch that hour-long Jeopardy soon after the half-hour Jeopardy last night. I'll try again tonight, but it's getting to be a lot of Jeopardy, much as I enjoy it.

Have a great day, everybody.

Wilbur Charles said...

Whoops, in my haste I inked REPLIED not checking the clue closely and of course not knowing Bobby SABRA. The PBAR did look odd. I need to get in the shower by 9am to make my ten am mtg.

I see D-otto did the exact same thing. And CED . Add Abejo to the mix. Actually, forgot to look

"Commando garb was CAMO, because no undies"... Yep, in Nam the secret was "no undies". Else .. D-O, you seem to be my XW cousin including missing themes as I did today.

Didn't Bobby VEE do a Sunday night oldie show?

I knew it was Gertrude and a bunch of consonants. Remembered at last minute

Maybe DEWARS will bring Tin in here

Ruth ended, Foxx started, ended with Ted W, then Yaz finally Boggs and the modern era. No point in time where any of them became obsolete. Cobb was asked how he'd do vs modern pitching, responded "315-320. But remember, I'm 60 years old"

WC


billocohoes said...

Why do people think of IM with Dewars? Scotland is not Ireland, and Dewars isn't Jameson.

Unless her drinking preference is known here and I missed it.

jfromvt said...

I did comment earlier about all the names, but it seemed like an OK puzzle. But now adding up the frequency of answers is interesting - 12 names, including the 5 for the theme, 13 abbreviations and acronyms, and 5 brand names. So overall, it was a bit of a slog, and more a guessing game and trivia vs word play.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

What jfromvt said - way too many proper names. The only themer I knew as clued was SAMANTHA BEE (# III).

Thanks Robin for the puzzle - I'm a huge fan of both Sam Bee and her husband Jason Jones. [7:44]

Great expo JzB. Re: UNISON - I agree with your definition, music selection, and will add The Police's Synchronicity II.

WOs: TBAR lead to RETURNE[d] (opps, ran out of space!); started SUNny day (Hi Jinx) but stopped for perps. WEES: SONyA.
FIWs: ANoRAK - so missed Themer I. I had JOHN dAY for Themer IV (bzzt). And, with MBA & AVEiNO, MOBBY VIE was Themer V (bzzt-bzzt)
//can you tell I never did catch the theme?

DNF - I'm with TTP at ENSO-. Couldn't we have gone with Belgian's famous painter?. [TMBG - 1:31]

Fav: "AIN'T is a word that is very ABSURD..."
//A teacher said every time she heard the word AINT; she had more but we tuned her out.

{B, B+}

FLN - Lucina. Youngest was mostly distressed because she thinks she hurt an animal (Bambi no less!).
Yes insurance does. And they cover under comprehensive so your rates don't go up / you get blamed for an accident. Apparently, it is (financially) better to hit the deer than swerve to miss it and hit a tree.
How's your claim going?

NPR had a recap of last night's Jeopardy! this morning.

BillO - IM's made her preference clear. It's DEWAR's. Tin's is Pinch.

Cheers, -T

Bill G said...

Hi everybody,

My grandson, Jordan, wears camo shorts occasionally and has a nice camo backpack. I asked him where his backpack was and why he wasn't wearing any pants. I was making a little joke about camo items being camouflaged and therefore hidden from view. He didn't think it was as clever as I did...

Geez, those three Jeopardy guys have an incredible ability to recall information and are very skilled with the buzzer.

I got a haircut today and I'm feeling a little lightheaded.

~ Mind how you go...

CrossEyedDave said...

Thanks for stopping by Robin!

I wish I had some input, but I tried the puzzle many hours ago,
& it was a DNF for me. (had to cheat & look up stuff...)

Hard to remember, except that Anorak is now firmly embedded in
my brain from previous X-words.

Plus, it is hard to find silly links for Homophones
as they around in X-words for a loooong time...

Jayce said...

Bill G, good one :)

Well, I slogged through this name fest and managed to guess, er, solve it all without a need to look anybody, er, anything up.

I'm not anonymous @ 11:52 but have previously said almost exactly word for word what he/she said today, namely "The trouble with names is either you know them or you don't."

About JOWL, I had exactly the same thought about fleshy cheeks as CanadianEh, Husker Gary, and Yellowrocks did. And by the way, does anybody have just one JOWL?

Owen, I love the way you made that acrostic.

LW and I have had SABRA hummus and quite frankly have found it quite inferior and actually a tad sour-tasting. I know it's subjective, but the hummus we have had at various restaurants seems better, with a nutty flavor, not sour.

Speaking of Irish Miss and her go-to drink, DEWARs White Label, I bought a bottle of it to try, and by golly it's pretty darn good.

Good wishes to you all.

AnonymousPVX said...


No real issues with this Wednesday go, despite the proper names.

USC to CSU was the only rewrite.

Samantha Bee puts me on the floor, she sure doesn’t hold back.

On to Thursday.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

The SW corner last to go. Always forget EDERLE so 51d and 65a was WAG. And forget how to spell reknown, I mean renoun, I mean renaun... RENOWN!

The word NAVE is also Italian for "ship" the long center part of a church as opposed to the apse. (Derivatives like Navy, naval..)That's how I remember it anyway.

Not sure what an LBAR does but it fit.

Lower jaw..all I could think of was "chin". The perps fixed that but agree with others jowls may hang from them but are not really part of the lower jaw.

CONJURE conjures the idea of calling up an other-world entity not casting a spell. I'll check with Rowena the witch on one of my favorite series..in it's last season after 15 years.."Supernatural"

Happy Humpday.

Ol' Man Keith said...

Ta ~DA!
A pleasant pzl, of the classic type in which perps gradually reveal unknown fills you come to realize you knew all along.
"Hello! I didn't know I knew that!"

I was going to add I remember when Gertrude EDERLE swam the Channel. But it turns out it was before my time. Before even my time.
Damn! I remember when somebody swam the *#@! Channel...
~ OMK

Spitzboov said...

How I remember nave from apse: Similar to what Ray-O- stated: Both nave and navy come from the same Latin root for 'ships'. Since the main body of a church very roughly resembles a vessel, that would be the NAVE. (When I first started doing cw's a couple decades ago, I couldn't keep them straight, either.)

Hummus - I've gotten to like it over the years. I've found the store brand agrees with me better than SABRA. I first got to like good hummus some 30 years ago when an Ontario Hydro colleague would steer us to a place called Miss Piggy's in Kingston, Ont. I see on the web there is a Chez Piggy on Princess Street that serves hummus, so maybe that's the same restaurant.

TX Ms said...

OMK - Channel swimmer: I was thinking of Diana Nyad, but she swam in warm waters I found - most famous was her Cuba to Florida swim (her name appeared in a CW before) There were a lot of others to swim the Channel, none of whom I recognized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Nyad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_successful_English_Channel_swimmers

CanadianEh! said...

Thanks Spitzboov and Ray for the tips on remembering NAVE vs apse. I'll add that to my CW knowledge.