google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday August 23, 2022 Stella Zawistowski

Advertisements

Aug 23, 2022

Tuesday August 23, 2022 Stella Zawistowski

Moving Up the Ranks:


16-Across. Intimate meeting with an important person: PRIVATE AUDIENCE.

22-Across. Rum brand with a pirate logo: CAPTAIN MORGAN.

48-Across. Significant parts of family budgets: MAJOR EXPENSES.

58-Across. United Nations body: GENERAL ASSEMBLY.

Across:
1. Covertly includes on an email: BCCs.  As in Blind Carbon Copy.  A term that originated back in the day when correspondence was on paper.



5. "You're a winner!" email, often: SCAM.

9. "In that case ... ": IF SO.

13. Chills-inducing: EERIE.


14. Tom yum soup cuisine: THAI.  Tom Yum Soup must be good because it has YUM in its name!  Hi, Lemon and Oo.


15. Spanish hundred: CIEN.  Hi, Lucina!

19. Tax-collecting agcy.: IRS.  The dreaded Internal Revenue Service.


20. Pool float filler: AIR.


21. Stock up on: AMASS.  //  And 37-Across. Hoarder's heaps: PILES.



27. Big-eyed bird: OWL.


28. Pride newborn: LION CUB.

31. Stager of live shows: IMPRESARIO.


36. Like some off-price merchandise: Abbr.: IRR.  As in Irregular.



38. Roomy family car, for short: SUV.

39. Last Greek letter: OMEGA.  Also the name brand of an expensive watch that makes occasional guest appearances in the puzzles.  //  65-Across. Pricey watch brand: ROLEX.  Another expensive watch.  What's the difference?

41. Gulf st.: ALA.  Alabama is one of the American Gulf States.  It has a some nice beaches. 


42. Didn't mind one's own business: INTERFERED.



44. Hotel pricing information: DAY RATE.
47. Former U.K. record label: EMI.  The history of the Electrical and Musical Industry name. 




54. Birch who had a recurring role on "The Walking Dead": THORA.  I have never seen The Walking Dead, and am not familiar with Thora Birch (b. Mar. 11, 1982).  It took this long in the list to come to the first name in the puzzle.  [Name # 1.]


56. Rock's __ Speedwagon: REO.

57. Prefix in some genre names: ALT.  Short for Alternative.  

63. Makes really mad: IRES.

64. Javier's "Being the Ricardos" role: DESI.  Javier Bardem (né Javier Ángel Encinas Bardem; b. Mar. 1, 1969) is a Spanish actor.  He is married to fellow Spanish actress, Penélope Cruz (b. Apr. 28, 1974).  [Name # 2.]


66. Racing legend A.J.: FOYT.  This name did not ring a bell for me.  A.J. Foyt (né Anthony Joseph Foyt, Jr.; b. Jan. 16, 1935) won the numerous races including the Indy 500 four times in the 1960s and early 1970s.   [Name # 3.]


67. Garden of Genesis: EDEN.


68. Prayer ender: AMEN.

Down:
1. Quotable catcher Yogi: BERRA.  Although he was a professional baseball catcher, Yogi Berra (né Lawrence Peter Berra; May 12, 1925 ~ Sept. 22, 2015) is probably best known for his unintentionally funny quotes.  [Name # 4.]

2. Like raw celery: CRISP.  Because Crunchy was too many letters.

3. Western __: history class, briefly: CIV.  As in Western Civilization.  Is this even taught in school these days?

4. Salty expanse: SEA.

5. Oktoberfest mug: STEIN.


6. Bracelet ornament: CHARM.  Charms are also found on the Charivari that men attach to their lederhosen at Ocktoberfest.


7. Non-pro sports org.: AAU.  As in the Amateur Athletic Union.

8. Prefix with Atlantic: MID.

Mid-Atlantic States

9. "Top Gun" moniker: ICEMAN.  Val Kilmer (né Val Edward Kilmer; b. Dec. 31, 1959) portrayed Lt. Tom "Iceman" Kazansky in the movie Top Gun.


10. Venture capitalist, e.g.: FINANCIER.

11. Min. parts: SECs.  60 Seconds make up one Minute.

12. Dollar bills: ONES.


13. Large-scale tale: EPIC.

17. Coin toss choice: TAILS.


18. Othello's false friend: IAGO.  Iago is a fictional character from Willie the Shakes' play Othello.  Iago hates Othello and plans to destroy him.  [Name # 5, fictional]

23. Ripped: TORE.  
24. Fills with wonder: AWES.

25. Tapenade fruit: OLIVE.  Tapenade is an olive spread that is common in southern France.


26. __ de Janeiro: RIO.


29. Compulsion: URGE.

30. "Country Nation" singer Paisley: BRAD.  As you can probably tell by the name of the song, Brad Paisley (né Bradly Douglas Paisley; b. Oct. 28, 1972) is a country music musician.  [Name # 6.]



31. Apple tablet: iPAD.  How did I ever survive without my iPad?


32. Actress Kunis: MILA.  Mila Kunis (née Milena Markovna Kunis; b. Aug. 14, 1983) was born in the Ukraine when it was a Soviet state.  Since 2015, she has been married to Ashton Kutcher.  [Name # 7.]



33. Bills included with some board games: PLAY MONEY.


34. Ed who plays Santa in "Elf": ASNER.  Ed Asner (né Eddie Asner; Nov. 15, 1929 ~ Aug. 29, 2021) is probably best known for his portrayal of Lou Grant on the Mary Tyler Moore shows.  He died just about a year ago at age 91.  [Name # 8.]



35. Dirt road furrow: RUT.


39. "All __": John Legend #1 song: OF ME.


40. Lo __: noodle dish: MEIN.  Yummers!


42. Judge featured in a season of "American Crime Story": ITO.  American Crime Story is a television story featuring true life crimes.  Its first season focused on the murder trial of OJ Simpson.  Judge Lance Ito (né Lance Allen Ito; b. Aug. 2, 1950) is best known for presiding over the trial. [Name # 9.]

43. Some towed cars, for short: REPOS.  Anyone see the 1984 movie Repo Man?


45. Hardest to find: RAREST.

46. Open just a crack: AJAR.  When is a door not a door?

49. Totally remove: ERASE.


50. Marks, as a ballot: X'ES IN.  Awkward!

51. Black fur: SABLE.  The black sable ferret is a cute little critter.



52. Pompeo of "Grey's Anatomy": ELLEN.  Ellen Kathleen Pompeo (b. Nov. 10, 1969) portrayed Dr. Meredeth Grey on the television series, Grey's Anatomy.   [Name # 10.]


53. River that made Achilles (mostly) invincible: STYX.  When Achilles' mother dipped him into the River Styx, she held him by his heel.  He became invincible, except for that portion of his foot held by his mother.


54. "Bring on the weekend!" letters: TGIF.  Also the name of a restaurant chain.



55. Courageous one: HERO.


59. Fruit drink suffix: ADE.  Hi again, Lemonade!

60. Was on top: LED.

61. Important time: ERA.





62. Cry during an argument between siblings: MOM.






חתולה

I will be taking a brief hiatus next week, but I know you will be in good hands.




35 comments:

Subgenius said...

From the first themed entry, I thought I knew what the gimmick was,and I was right. And, true, there were a lot of proper names, but they were either well-known or easily perped. I thought this puzzle was almost as easy as yesterday’s. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

This was an easy romp -- no Wite-Out need apply. Interesting that the first themer is a non-com while the other three are officer ranks. Thanx, Stella and Hahtoolah (Enjoy your week off.)

OMEGA: I wear a watch, but not an expensive one. Mine is a super-accurate (but cheap) Casio.

THORA: She played Jack Ryan's (Harrison Ford's) daughter in a couple of movies.

FOYT: When I moved to Houston my first order of business was to buy a car -- my old Mustang had no A/C, so I sold it while still in Illinois. I purchased a replacement from A.J Foyt's dealership on South Post Oak.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was a typical Tuesday level offering with an early, easy to spot theme. Only one stumble, AAC/AAU, which I now realize was doubly wrong as it’s ACC, not AAC. Needed perps for Cien and Ice Man, never having seen Top Gun. I liked the creature neighbors of Owl and Lion Cub and, also, the Omega and Rolex and Rio and Reo kissing cousins.

Thanks, Stella, for an easy romp and thanks, Hahtoolah, for a fun and informative review. As always, your cartoons were amusing and spot on. Today’s favs were the Designer Shirt sale (laughed out loud!), the Worn Down Pencil Eraser, and the “Cured” Ham. Good stuff! Hurry back.

FLN

HG, my problem with blood draws is not the “just a little pinch” mantra and subsequent jab, it’s the tightness of the tourniquet on my upper arm. Yesterday’s procedure went well, so no complaints. 🤗

Have a great day.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased torn for TORE. Was familiar with IMPRESARIO, but now I know its correct definition.

I loved Frank Sinatra's and Billie Holiday's covers of All OF ME, but my favorite version was done by Willie Nelson.

I was audited by the IRS two years in a row, both times when I had filed short form, both times when I made <$10,000 for the year. I didn't make any mistakes, but it was still a PITA to deal with. I dread the agency doubling the number of their agents.

The fact that I didn't need even a single perp for CAPTAIN MORGAN is testimony to my conduct when I was still boating. "Acme" Yacht Club - A drinking organization with a sailing problem.

I knew THORA from her dark role in American Beauty.

I don't know what a tapenade is, but since we had OLIVE yesterday it was duck soup to complete the fill, given "OL___."

I'm a Tag Heuer guy. My DW gave it to me 26 years ago. Only fine watch I've owned, but my dad had a nice Longines wind-up watch. I think it was the only luxury item my parents owned.

Thanks to STELLA! for the fun challenge, and to Ha2la for the colorful review. Enjoy your time away from the Corner's sweat shop.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends.

In honor of 1-Down, here is today's QOD: You’ve got to be very careful if you don’t know where you are going, because you might not get there. ~ Yogi Berra (né Lawrence Peter Berra; May 12, 1925 ~ Sept. 22, 2015), American baseball player and coach

KS said...

FIR, but a small nit, three officers and a private in the theme. I expected a corporal or sergeant in the mix.

Lucina said...

Hola!

For some reason I have been waking way too early! What to do? Why, solve the crossword puzzle, of course!

Thank you, Stella and Hahtoolah! Enjoy your trip and stay safe! I'll miss your funny cartoons. And thank you for the CSO.

I, too, have a clearer idea of what an IMPRESARIO is.

AJ FOYT was a common name in racing news of the past.

More later. I have to get more sleep.

Have a terrific Tuesday, everyone!


Anonymous said...

I said "amen" in 4:14 today.

Good Tuesday puzzle.

I didn't know Thora, cien, or EMI (I'd like to ban all record label clues).

Gray's Anatomy is (somehow) still airing new episodes.

CanadianEh! said...

Terrific Tuesday. Thanks for the fun, Stella and Hahtoolah (have a great holiday).
I FIRed in good time and saw the ordered ranks (very appropriate title Hahtoolah!).
Does MOM rank at the top even though she is in the bottom corner?

Arrived here to discover it was a Stella creation. She was fair to us today (well all those names might have been a problem, but the unknowns perped for me - THORA and FOYT).

Irks worsened to IRES.
I noted REO and RIO (Irish Miss beat me), ONES and PLAY MONEY to pay those MAJOR EXPENSES or the IRS.
Loved IMPRESARIO and FINANCIER.

Wishing you all a great day.

Anthony Gael Moral said...

And she got them in rank order: PRIVATE to GENERAL.

Monkey said...

Good, pleasant Tuesday puzzle. At first I thought there were very few proper names until Subgenius pointed out there were many. They were all so easy, I didn’t notice them. Hahtoolah came through as usual with fun, apt cartoons.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Fair Tuesday, completed faster than yesterday, no inkovers 🙂

Theme?...Wait wait don't tell me, PRIVATE, CAPTAIN, MAJOR, GENERAL, military titles.. (how 'bout.. A JARhead, IRRegular, ADE de camp,😆)...

"Coin toss choice" (almost put Trevi).

Last Greek letter: "Hi MOM I'm hiding inside a wooden horse!!!" ...Judge ITO hasn't been seen for a while, welcome back. But unfortunately unwelcome IRES is back too.

"Prayer ender" "Dig in"!!.

IMPRESARIO (Ital. impresa "enterpise" or "business" so didn't think it was limited to "stager of live shows")

"Genre name prefix" ALT? (Like ALT-right?)

"Chill inducing", swimming in Lake ____ EERIE
Dont leave steaks too long on the grill or you'll _____....CHARM
The Wizard of _____ .....AWES.
____ and stones can't harm Achilles' bones just his "calcaneous"...STYX

As usual great cartoons H2LH but the best was the last even though not kosher. 😄

TTP said...



Good morning. Thank you, Stella, and thank you, Hahtoolah

The solve took just under seven minutes. My leisurely read through the review and links took 36 minutes.

No NCOs in this puzzle, but that's ok. It was a fun solve. Didn't see many of the downs until the review. Two grid spanners. Nice, Stella !

AMASS - My neighbor has PILES of stuff everywhere. She is a crafter and has unending projects, so she saves a lot of stuff that others would toss. IMO, a borderline hoarder. I cannot go in her basement. But she is a happy person. I just feel for her adult daughters, and what they will have to go through one day.

Hahtoolah, I like your logic on that Thai soup ! Nice tie-in of OMEGA to ROLEX.

D-O, I was going to mention AJ Foyt's dealership on South Post Oak. I went there, but did not buy. I ended up buying a used 72 LeMans with AC. My car from NE Ohio did not have AC. Don't know how I made it through that summer, but I did.

Jinx, I used to think that a muffaletta was made with a tapenade, but it's really an olive salad spread on that sandwich. They are very simiar. Now I want a muffaletta. Or even a Schlotzky's original would do. I think I'm going to go open a can of black olives.


FLN, TxMs, it may have been a Captain Benny's. It was on the north side of the feeder on westbound Katy. I did some searches of Houston restaurants of the 80s, and some forums, but couldn't find anything that struck a bell.

CrossEyedDave said...

Okaaaay.....

So, what rank is this?

unclefred said...

Less stress than yesterday, FIR in uft (unclefred time) of 17. The ten proper names are an annoyance, but I knew most and the others perped easily enough. I’m just not a fan of proper names. Also not a fan of “ires” for “Makes really mad”. I’ve never ever heard anyone say “I really ired him”, “She ires me”, or anything like it. Has anyone here ever heard it? Seems like the general should have been on top and the private on the bottom, but, oh, well. Anyway, those are today’s nits to pick. (Disgusting thought, BTW!) Other than that a fine CW, thanx, SZ. I love your terrific write-ups, Hahtoolah, especially the cartoons, thanx.

Anonymous said...

I have seen the film Repo Man. A couple of times in fact. It’s the only film I’ve seen with Emilio Estevez that I liked. Harry Dean Stanton is great in it. But then, he was pretty much great in every film he was in.

Misty said...

Fun Tuesday puzzle, many thanks, Stella. And always enjoy your pictures, Hahtoolah, thanks for those too.

Lots of worrisome FINANCES in this puzzle, and it wasn't just the PLAY MONEY collected for MAJOR EXPENSES.

Hope it wasn't some SCAM that allowed that IMPRESARIO to AMASS all those PILES of EERIE cash, charging someone a DAY RATE.

I bet the IRS is going to get that FINANCEER, and I hope that IRES him.

Have a great day, everybody.



waseeley said...

Thank you Stella for the smooth sailing today. You must be a land lubber as there were no Naval ranks. OTOH loose barbells on the deck of a ship are probably not a good idea. But they do sing SEA SHANTIES.

Thank you Hahtoolah for a funny (and informative review). I hope you're going somewhere nice and cool.

Some favs:

41A ALA. Thanks for the map Cat. We attended a wedding there last winter and I was able to pick out "Foley", where we stayed, and the beautiful community of "Magnolia Springs" that we visited. Everyone we met in ALA was friendly and helpful. Must be that Southern Hospitality.

66A FOYT. Had HOYT, but the engine wouldn't start.

1D BERRA. My favorite Yogiism: "If you come to a fork in the road take it". Yogi was obviously into Quantum Mechanics.

3D CIV. Teri and I met in the doorway of Mr. Saterle's 11th grade "Modern and Contemporary History" class. She was (and still is) very cute.

11D TAILS. Favorite cartoon. I used to do that for living, but I didn't have to flip a coin. All I had to do was find out the product that management wanted and write a Victorian novel about it, which none of the techies would take the time to read.

9D ICEMAN. I've never seen this movie, but CRUISER was too long, so I had to wait for perps.

43D REPOS. No.

Cheers,
Bill


CED @10:27 AM GEEZ, those guys must be REAL HEROES!!!

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

Once in Florence a guide repeated some comments attributed to Michelangelo, then indicate that if he had said all the things attributed to him he would have never shut his mouth 😃. I suspect the same goes for Lawrence Peter "Yogi" Berra.😉

⚾️

sumdaze said...

A quick & easy Tues solve. Thank you, Hahtoolah, for your review. You make Tuesdays fun!
I recently started playing ALL OF ME on my guitar (the Marks & Simons 1930s version) ... love the haunting chords. When I was looking on the internet for the music, the John Legend song of the same name took the first few Google pages. At the time, I was not aware of JL's song. Here we are a few weeks later and that which was previously irritating became helpful crossword trivia. You just never know what's around the corner!

CrossEyedDave said...

Normally,

I would be very diligent in reviewing any video link I would post here.
But too be quite honest, I have things to do, and just don't have the time right now...

So,

If you are bored out of your mind,
You might want to review this video, that sort of interested me, and let me (and others) know if it it a worthwhile link to pursue some linguistic knowledge.
Thank you in advance,
CED

( I have a broken leaf blower I need to play with... )

Jinx in Norfolk said...

CED, that rank is HMFWIC. Also a broken leaf blower is a great excuse for buying a new Greenworks replacement. At least it was for me!

My favorite Yogism was said about Sardi's restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." Only problem is that similar gags are older than Yogi.

PK said...

Hi Y'all! Fun puzzle, thanks, Stella. Even more fun from Hahtoolah, thanks.

Finished this in 14 minutes, 6 fewer minutes than yesterday's.

Knew most of the proper names. DNK: AAU, CIEN, EMI, THORA, ELLEN. All perped in easily. No red letter runs today. Yay!

Brother & SIL winter on Alabama Gulf Shores. They like it so much they've gone twice when he had just had surgery & scared me, thinking he shouldn't be driving pulling a big RV halfway across the USA.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Our weight lifter Stella did all the heavy lifting for me in this fun puzzle with an obvious gimmick
- Mi suegra acaba de cumplir CIEN años (My mother-in-law just turned one hundred years old)
-A very close relative has AMASSED a huge amount of “stuff” and is approaching hoardership
-Fanny Brice (Funny Girl) worked for IMPRESARIO Flo Ziegfeld
-Pass INTERFERENCE in the NFL is a tough call
-I just watched a very dark version of The A.B.C. Murders starring John Malkovich as Poirot and a character named THORA Grey
-A former student of mine so resembles Ellen Pompeo I have always called her Dr. Grey
-Off to the dentist

Ol' Man Keith said...

A cool Tuesday PZL from Ms. Zawistowski, explained (with great cartoons) by Hahtoolah!

As usual, I admire our hostess' selection of colorful illustrations, but I particularly enjoyed the picture selected for OWL, a variation on my personal avatar! Oh, those big eyes!

A neat theme:
From PRIVATE to GENERAL, this XWD reviews the ranks!
~ OMK
___________
DR:
Three diags today, none on the near side.
The central diagonal yields an anagram (13 of 15 letters) that speaks to those familiar with the psychoanalytic protocols of the famous 20th century Swiss psychiatrist who popularized "archetypal analysis" and personal "individuation."
Today's phrase speaks to what happens when one's anima/animus rises into consciousness with a memory of great embarrassment!
OMG! We may call such a momentous event a...

"JUNG(Ian) MORTIFIER"!

Jayce said...

I liked the ranks theme and most of this puzzle. Nose wrinkles at IRES and XESIN. I like fill that is longer then 3 or 4 letters, such as IMPRESARIO, INTERFERED, FINANCIER, and PLAYMONEY.

Thank you, Hahtoolah, for another terrific write-up. May your hiatus be fruitful.

Good wishes to you all.

Lemonade714 said...

Thank you for the entertainment Susan and Stella, our own version of the ECHOES twins. A nice Tuesday, with a now expected colorful write-up.

THORA BURCH was named after the Norse god by parents intent on naming their son Thor. The pictures do not show her winsome beauty, but I remember her as KEVIN SPACEY'S daughter in the 1999 hit movie AMERICAN BEAUTY in which she was the best friend of Mena Suvari's character. Complicated and disturbing movie.

I enjoy John Malcovich's movies but as Poirot he was a poisson pourri.

Thank you non-gender specific contributors.

Ol' Man Keith said...

Lemonade @3:36 ~

And everyone knows, he should be a poisson pompeux.
~ OMK

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

A gentle Tuesday offering from Stella - a real break from her late-week puzzles. Hahtoolah followed-up with another entertaining expo. Thanks both yous.

WO: TORn
ESPs: MILA, THORA, ELLEN, AAU
Fav: How am I supposed to choose between REO Speedwagon and STYX?

FLN - TTP: OMG! Anal-retentive much? I guess retired, you need a hobby ;-)
I just started documenting what I spend on my rental properties because the accountant told me, now that I have non-relatives leasing me, that I really needed to (and should have all along).

Anon@11:26 - what about The Breakfast Club?

Ray-O: I was thinking more like music genres -- ALT-Rock, ALT-Country.
ALT-ALT is Weird Al? :-)

Jinx - That's similar to me & my drinking buddies with a cycling problem. Our motto, "No pain, *sip-sip-sip* No pain!"

Time to watch CED's (the tin-pot generals pic was LOL!) video he didn't have time for. I mean, someone's got to watch it, right?

Cheers, -T

TTP said...


Dash T, yep, that's me. No denial. I own it. #nerd, #geek.

PK said...

TTP: I've been chuckling about your documentation practices. I've done spread sheets on some very unlikely projects that people were stunned about. When I was a 4-H adult leader, I did a spread sheet on all the kiddos in the club, their projects, awards, etc. I've been a genealogist since my teen years and am still notating every death, birth, marriage, etc (not in that order). My daily calendar is filled with notations such as filter changes & grocery days. And of course, my financial accountings since I was 20. Don't know how you've got in so many mowings. My calendar only has my yardman mowing about 12 times.

Michael said...

Dear CED @ 1:05. Your praised-with-faint-damns video is interesting, but -- like so many other YouTube videos -- the author is far too impressed by the sound of his voice.

LEO III said...

Speaking of the Alabama beaches, if you are down that way, take the ferry ride across the mouth of Mobile Bay. It runs between Fort Morgan (east side) and Fort Gaines on Dauphin Island (west side), the two forts guarding Mobile Bay. If one is “into” visiting old stuff like that (I am), they are worth the time.

To say that A. J. Foyt was (still Is?) a character is an understatement.

Yogi was also a pretty good manager.

I am NOT a borderline hoarder! I’m a professional! It’s mostly books that I have bought, but never read, because I’m such a slow reader, and because being retired, I don’t have the time.

Thanks, Stella and Hahtoolah!

Lucina said...

LeoIII
I like your rationalizations!

Wilbur Charles said...

I had SpAM and never changed PHARM. FIW on the easiest xword in weeks.

Yogi once said "It ain't over until the fat lady sings". People thought he was an opera buff. He was talking about Kate Smith singing When the Moon ComesOver the Mountain
He'd watch kids TV and that song signaled it was time to head to the ballpark

I used to think I "Led Three Lives"(Sports,Honors,Gang'er) until The Breakfast Club where I was every character except the spoiled rich girl. Yes, the nutcase too.

Oops, I never posted this

WC