google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday November 6, 2022 Scott Hogan & Katie Hale

Advertisements

Nov 6, 2022

Sunday November 6, 2022 Scott Hogan & Katie Hale

Theme: "Scale It Back" - Do, Re, Me, Fa, Sol, La, Ti are orderly removed from the theme entries

23. Chant that could start any minute in a yoga class?: IMPENDING (DO)OM.

31. Beaver structure that defies all laws of physics?: THE IMPOSSIBLE D(RE)AM.

40. Result of a cracked Kindle?: BROKEN PRO(ME)SE.

61. Lingering resentment between rival 16th century Italian painters?: RENAISSANCE (FA)IRE.

72. Obstacles in a Grand Theft Auto construction zone?: VIDEO GAME CON(SOL)ES.

96. Rate at which romaine salads come out of the kitchen?: CAESARS PA(LA)CE.

103. Put up with my shenanigans?: STAND THE TEST OF (TI)ME.

Reveal:

118. Creating study aids during a classroom lecture, and how seven long answers in this puzzle were created?: TAKING NOTES.

Our second Sunday puzzle from Scott Hogan. His last is a collaboration with Christina Iverson. Who else can say that they've collaborated with two assistant editors of the L.A. Times crosswords?

Like the theme. Reminds me of the Opening Notes I did for the Universal back in 2020.

Across:

1. Improvises with nonsense syllables while singing: SCATS.

6. Hosp. area: PRE-OP. Extensive prep, as I've learned from Boomer's second surgery.

11. "Frozen" snowman: OLAF.

15. Go the distance: LAST.

19. Old Turkish title: PASHA. Wikipedia says this rank "is similar to a British peerage or knighthood".

20. Body art medium: HENNA.



21. Roam: ROVE.

22. Glom __: take hold of: ONTO.

25. Bibliography abbr.: ET AL.

26. Playing a fifth qtr., say: IN OT.

27. Vegan pizza order, perhaps: NO CHEESE. My first pizza is Hawaiian pizza from Pizza Hut in Guangzhou.



28. Speak without thinking: BLURT.

29. Thick book: TOME.

30. Biblical twin: ESAU.

36. Soap chemical: LYE.

38. Singer Lena: HORNE.

39. African capital: CAIRO. Has anyone read "Midnight in Cairo" by Raphael Cormack?



45. Uses, as a coupon: REDEEMS.

47. Paddle kin: OAR.

48. Brownstone porch: STOOP.

49. Family man: PAPA.

52. Telly watchers: BRITS.

54. Sitcom fixture: TV CAMERA.

56. 11th Greek letter: LAMBDA. Also 118. 19th Greek letter: TAU.

59. Casual refusal: NAH.

60. Messy pile: HEAP.

66. Con: SCAM.

70. Gimlet garnishes: LIMES.

71. Like some Chardonnay: OAKY.

77. AnnaSophia of "Bridge to Terabithia": ROBB. Unfamiliar to me.



81. NAACP co-founder __ B. Wells: IDA.

82. E-signature alternative: WET INK.  91. Problem with 82-Across: SMEAR.

83. Celebrity mag since 1977: US WEEKLY.

87. Transform (into): MORPH.

89. Drops from above: RAIN.

92. Biodegrade: ROT.

93. Resort with moguls: SKI AREA. Bumpy moguls on the slope.


99. Impressionist Claude: MONET.

100. Beekeeping hazard: STING.

102. Irish actor Stephen: REA. Unforgettable performance in "The Crying Game".

 

108. Sleeveless garment: VEST.

112. Twee: CUTE.

113. Competitor: RIVAL.

114. Goes long?: RUNS LATE. Nice clue/fill.

116. Poker stake: ANTE.

117. Scored 100 on: ACED.

121. Look intently (at): PEER.

122. "How __ refuse?": CAN I.

123. Garlicky sauce: AIOLI.



124. Cornell, Penn, etc.: IVIES.

125. Flubs: ERRS.

126. Jewelry designer Peretti: ELSA.

127. Eurasian border mountains: URALS.

128. Black-and-white vegetarian: PANDA.

Down:

1. Book part: SPINE.

2. Patterns meant to blend in, briefly: CAMOS. This really stands out.



3. Org. providing creature comfort?: ASPCA.

4. One who has an impressive green thumb?: THE HULK. Another great clue.

5. With it: SANE.

6. Trey Anastasio's jam band: PHISH. Amazing fan base.



7. Actress Zellweger: RENEE.

8. Pt. of OED: ENG.

9. Singer Yoko: ONO.

10. Hulu's "__ & Tommy": PAM.

11. Vague warning: OR ELSE.

12. Seated yoga pose: LOTUS.

13. Greed: AVARICE.

14. Had regrets: FELT BAD.

15. One who lingers: LOITERER.

16. Latin phrase in some dates: ANNO DOMINI. The hospice sent chaplain John Curran to our house last week. John is an ex-priest. He left the church and got married. He could deliver a mass in Latin.



17. Leaf pore: STOMA.

18. __ pole: TOTEM.

24. Political thaw: DETENTE.

28. "__ appétit!": BON.

32. Breakfast chain: IHOP.

33. Calendar pgs.: MOS. Months.

34. Get set: PREP.

35. Recline: LIE BACK.

37. Polite contraction: YES M.

40. All of two: BOTH.

41. Talk wildly: RAVE.

42. Killer whale: ORCA.

43. __ favor: POR.

44. Crowd sound: ROAR.

45. Crashes (into): RAMS.

46. Constellation part: STAR.

50. Strange: ALIEN.

51. Behind the times: PASSE.

53. __/her pronouns: SHE.

55. Abbey area: APSE.

57. Bun cooked in a bamboo steamer: BAO. We can Baozi in China.



58. Genetic letters: DNA.

62. Justice Kagan: ELENA.

63. "The Pinkprint" rapper Minaj: NICKI.

64. Latin I verb: AMO.

65. Brontë governess: EYRE.

67. Buckaroo: COWHAND.

68. Mature: AGE. We received 81 cards from you guys for Boomer's birthday. Thank you! Amazing English muffins from Ray - O - Sunshine!

69. Pilates surface: MAT.

72. Pep: VIM.

73. Rite words: I DOS.

74. Hypothetical stuff in space: DARK MATTER. Another great fill.

75. Oscar winner Sorvino: MIRA. She speaks Chinese.

76. Totals: SUMS.

78. Sticky pod: OKRA.

79. Political coalition: BLOC.

80. Computer memory unit: BYTE.

84. __ salt: SEA.

85. Nate Dogg's "Regulate" collaborator: WARREN G. Another learning moment.



86. Scots Gaelic: ERSE.

88. Leads the way: PIONEERS.

90. CBS military drama: NCIS.

91. __ lily: Utah state flower: SEGO.

94. Go over again: RETRACE.

95. Virtuous: ETHICAL.

97. Social insect: ANT.

98. Meringue dessert named for a ballerina: PAVLOVA. Looks good on top. Anna.



100. Bowl game venues: STADIA. I just use stadiums.

101. __ Aviv: TEL.

103. Land's end?: SCAPE.

104. Pitching aid?: TUNER. Fun clue.

105. Levels (out): EVENS.

106. Flounce: FRILL.

107. Some tax-free bonds: MUNIS.

109. Stay home for supper: EAT IN.

110. Knight's mount: STEED.

111. Thompson of "Creed": TESSA.

115. Scissors sound: SNIP.

119. Beach ball inflater: AIR.

120. RV park chain: KOA.


Our week started well. On Monday, the great Tom Pepper came to our house and moved the TV upstairs. Now we only have to struggle with one set of stairs. Thanks again, D-Otto and Tom!
 
On Tuesday we had a routine meeting with the VA nurse Amanda. Then Boomer started to develop serious stomachache and constipation on Wednesday & Thursday. By Friday morning, he could not poop or pee. The hospice nurse was ready to do an enema. Thankfully Senna & MiraLax combo worked before the nurse came. 
 
Unfortunately he continues to have stomach upset, even with the daily help of Pepcid. He also had a few throw-up episodes on Friday and Saturday (he ate hardly anything). He gets breathless just walking from our bedroom to the toilet.
 
Here is a picture of him watching "Seinfeld" at our living room last Tuesday. Calm and content. Things have been tough since.



40 comments:

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Managed to fall back without injury. I see by the front page of the Barnacle that the boys of summer can fade to black until next spring.

Oh, the puzzle...despite the plethora of names that d-o didn't know, this one filled quickly. Saw the cute theme with its missing notes. (C.C., I think you meant MI rather than ME.) Nicely done Scott, Katie, and C.C. (Sorry to hear of all the problems this past week. I was hoping that no news was good news. I'm pulling for both of you.)

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased ibid for ETAL, anti for SCAM, mara for MIRA, adds for SUMS, and old for SEA.

A pizza with no cheese? I'll pass.

I only ski on water, but is a SKI AREA really a resort? I would think that the SKI AREA might have one or more resorts. Maybe Big SKI has figured out how to ensure single-source accommodations at all the SKI AREAS.

I've got a lot more AGE than maturity. As if I had to tell you that.

Twee? Oh, I see it's British. Can we get some subtitles please?

Got my reservations at KOA for our upcoming trip to Florida. We start in 16 days, one hour and 17 minutes, but who's counting?

Thanks to Scott and Katie for the fun challenge with minimal pop-cult noise. And thanks to CC for the fun review, and the sad Boomer update.

Subgenius said...

After I got the reveal, I went back and left at what were obviously the themed answers. Sure enough, the notes were all in there. The only one I had trouble understanding was video game cones.” But then the V-8 can hit (as D-O would say) and I realized it was “conSOLes.” Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

Anonymous said...

Probably my Sunday record. After I noticed the missing DO, I had a feeling that the theme would be note-related, and the next themer confirmed it. The hardest one to see was CAESAR'S PA(LA)CE, I wanted CAESAR then one word starting with S.

Favorite non-theme entry: DARK MATTER, favorite clue: "Drops from above". I had _AI_ and for whatever reason I filled in HAIL first.

Subgenius said...

That should be “went back and LOOKED at all the themed answers.” Autocorrect strikes again!

TTP said...



Good morning. Thank you, Scott and Katie, and thank you, C.C.

I solved last night as a way to wind down after the excitement of the game. Rather, three of them. Notre Dame knocking off Clemson, LSU going for 2 and getting the win over Bama, and of course the Stros victory. Plus, I had to get my mind off of pickle relish. Hey, don't blame me, Chairman Moe started it on Friday !

The title threw me. I was initially looking for IT to be removed in the theme answers. Filled in pretty quickly.

Bronte governess:EYRE - I was flipping through the movie channels Friday morning, and "Jane Eyre" was playing. I pressed the info button on the remote to find out what the movie was. 1943 starring Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles. It was already about halfway through, and I didn't want to press Restart, so I found something else to watch. If it hadn't been well into the movie, I would have watched it to see what the story line is about.

I like the sweet bean BAO, but the place I go to also sells them with chicken filling or BBQ pork filling. Minimum order is three. They recently went from $1.85 each to $2.55 each.

After yesterday's windstorms forced me to stay inside all day, I'm anxious to get out there this morning and start cleaning up the lawn and gardens.

Read all y'all later n'at.

KS said...

FIR, but didn't get the theme till the reveal. Had a few difficult areas, but fortunately the perps saw me through. Nice Sunday puzzle.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was a very clever theme which took me awhile to figure out, despite the helpful title. The many unknowns were, as usual, proper names, i.e. Robb, US Weekly, Elsa, Pam, Warren G, etc. Some of the cluing was cute and clever and some of the fill was fresh and lively, but I’m still shaking my head over E-Signature Alternative=Wet Ink. Filling that in literally made me wince.

Thanks, Scott and Katie, for a Sunday diversion and thanks, CC, for your usual adept interpretation. I’m so sorry to hear of Boomer’s physical afflictions and discomfort. Moving the TV was a smart move for you both. I’m thrilled that Boomer was bombarded with cards and well wishes for his birthday as no one is more deserving. 😘

I finally got around to watching Word Play, the Crossword documentary. Learning moment was that Tyler Hinman was a student at RPI when he won the 2005 ACPT at age 20. I was living in Stamford, Ct. when the first (1978) ACPT was held there at the Stamford Marriott. I remember reading about it and toying with the idea of entering. At that time, I knew as much about crossword solving as I did about Quantum Physics, so, needless to say, I saved myself a lot of embarrassment by deciding not to enter, for reasons long forgotten.

Have a great day.

Jerry S said...

A million blessings to you and Boomer.
My heart is with you both

ATLGranny said...

FIR Sunday, thanks to a couple of last minute corrections. Thanks Scott and Katie! Perps were very helpful.

The theme didn't jump out at me right away although I saw the RE missing in the second themer early. Like TTP I was looking for a missing IT in each and needed to think about the reveal a bit. One themer hard to suss was GAME CON(SOL)ES. (I forget there's an L for SO(L) since the note LA follows immediately after.)

Thanks for your usual excellent review, C.C. Sorry to hear of Boomer's new problems this week. Positive developments were the many birthday cards and getting the TV moved upstairs. My thoughts are with you all.

After checking the score off and on during the evening, I watched the last inning of the WS game and the joy of the win for the Astros. You all did it, Anon T!

Anonymous said...

My god! Is there nothing sacred. TOO MUCH INFORMATION. Let the man have some dignity. Poop and Pee! Really? People dont want or need to know that many intimate details!

Anonymous said...

Fun puzzle. Praying for CC & Boomer

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-The gimmick smacked me upside the head when I started writing out the missing letters. Duh!
-I love how they eschewed SO for SOL in the wonderful VIDEO GAME CONES
-The Bama/LSU game that went IN(to) OT was amazing
-BLURT – I’m trying to use my filter more often
-I had to look up Adobe’s WET INK feature
-People who habitually RUN LATE are sending the signal that their time is more important than yours
-I had to RETRACE my steps the other day to remember I left my keys in my sport coat
-TUNER – Kids today will never know the frustration of trying to find a certain radio station
-C.C., I’m glad to see you are getting some relief.
-Gotta run.

CrossEyedDave said...

you don't need a pen and paper anymore...

Thank you CC on the updates on Boomer,
I understand Anon @ 9:10, but those who really care "take note" of every word, and how serious things have become.

Picard said...

As a musician I loved this TAKING NOTES theme! Very clever and well constructed! Learning moment about unknown ballerina and dessert PAVLOVA. Also unknown PASHA. Not sure if there is some hidden meaning in why a TV CAMERA is a SITCOM FIXTURE.

Our Madagascar tour was through the BRITish journal New Scientist, so our group were (as they say) mostly BRITS.

The two BRITS on the right in this Madagascar photo are Ruth and Martin.

The gentleman on the left next to my DW is our extraordinary local guide Naina who went by his last name "Charles".

Monkey said...

What a clever CW. Unfortunately I had to wait for CC’s explanation to understand what was missing. I can imagine how difficult this CW must have been to construct. It would be nice to hear from Scott and Katie.

Nothing like good comedy to distract from suffering. Glad Boomer is taking that route. Seinfeld has STOOD THE TEST OF tiME. My best wishes to CC and Boomer.

Interesting that IMPENDING doOM came just before THE IMPOSSIBLE DreAM.

For some reason my posting yesterday went missing.❓

Picard said...

CC Thank you for the card count for Boomer! And thank you for the intimate updates on Boomer. We are all family here and appreciate the details.

From Yesterday:
AnonT Thank you for taking the time to read that Physics Today article about Toad the Wet Sprocket father Dave Phillips and his wacky adventures with my physics mentor Virgil Elings. Yes, I agree that the Americans excel at pushing the limits of science into the twilight zone. And I agree that the BRITS are good at being eccentric in a good way, too.

Virgil also made and sold divining rods. He explained they were "amplifiers". When asked what they "amplify" he said "Whatever your arms are doing!"

And thank you for the Weird Al interview.

This short video with Weird Al and Jay Leno visiting Weird Al's childhood home is my favorite!

CanadianEh Thank you for the kind words about my photo hiking in the ALPS northwest of NICE! I have many more NICE photos! Your comment reminded me to reply to your email just now.

Seeing RUM AND COKE made me think of this song by the Andrews Sisters.

Learning moment that it was copyrighted by Morey Amsterdam of The Dick Van Dyke Show fame. But the original (slightly different) lyrics were by "Lord Invader" who received a settlement.

PK said...

Hi Y'ALL! Thanks, Scott & Katie for an interesting and challenging puzzle.

Thanks, C.C., for explaining the clever theme which I didn't see at all. I saw the missing letters, but the word scale didn't mean DO RE MI to me. I should have written out the missing syllables like I usually do when I can't suss it.

Last fill was the "O" in BAO/OAKY cross. Twee was too CUTE to get without perps. 7 names were unknown. WET INK SMEARed my mind.

Black & white vegetarian wasn't a zebra but a PANDA. I didn't think of bamboo as a vegetable, but I guess it is vegetation maybe.

C.C., thanks for keeping us informed about Boomer even though the news is not happy. We are all mature enough to hear the facts. Bless your heart!

Anon at 9:10: how can you criticize someone who is working so hard with loving care? Shame on you.

desper-otto said...

Picard, there were radio stations that refused to play Rum and Coca Cola back in the 40s, because it mentioned rum (alcohol which couldn't be "advertised" on radio) and Coca Cola (a brand name which could be considered advertising) plus the lyrics were naughty. Sold seven million copies, even so.

waseeley said...

Thank you Scott and Katie for an [UN]NOTABLE fun Sunday FIR. And thank you C.C. for your thematic explication. I was able to complete all the phrases, but didn't see the missing notes.

Some favs:

1A SCATS. The missing notes in today's puzzle are sensical SCATS.

19A PASHA. The role of Bassa Selim in Mozart's Singspiel (operetta) "The Abduction from the Seraglio has the rank of PASHA.

48A STOOP. This iconic picture of the STOOPS of Baltmore was taken by A. Aubrey Bodine, long time photographer for the Baltimore Sun.

30A ESAU. His brother JACOB can't get no respect in crosswords.

99A MONET. Easy to confuse with his compatriot and friend Eduard Manet.

104A TUNER. The best way to keep all those notes well-tempered.

Cheers,
Bill

C.C. we continue to pray that Boomer gets better soon.

Jayce said...

I loved this puzzle. As Picard said, "Very clever and well constructed!"

Anonymous said...

Yes, we care!

Anonymous said...

Loved Madagascar but did not see any lemurs!

Anonymous said...

Two meds can help with severe stomach pain. They are famotidine and omniprazole. Ok if they don't interfere with other meds.

Anonymous T said...

Sunday Lurk Say...

It's supposed to get dark early today... I didn't really notice DST as I watched all the silly people on TV celebrating all night in downtown Houston. Instead of going down to Academy (local sporting goods store) which was open all night, I just shopped online. Family's getting hoodies all around and I got myself a hat & a nice (fake-signed) ball to put on my shelf. Oh, and a pennant to hang on the wall.

C.C. - Thanks for the Boomer update. I know he's going to miss his 'man-cave' (and baseball card collection) for a while but it's best he's not on the steep stairs for now. You keep him eating & regular *heart emoji*

Picard - Thanks for the Leno Garage link. Too funny at the end where Leno is visibly uncomfortable with the accordion in the passenger's seat.

IM - I've seen Word Play 3x... Just great stuff with Merl at the core and wonderful cameos [Jon Stewart, Bill Clinton, Bob Dole, et.al.]

With the season a changin' - I'm building red beans & rice for dinner.
//yes, BigE & Hahtoolah, with andouille sausage - I'm not a savage ;-)

Cheers, -T

Lucina said...

Hola!

I'm late again but I really enjoy reading all your comments and I'm so pleased that Boomer is enjoying TV in comfort and has read our cards. It was a pleasure sending one.

The puzzle was a Sunday special and NOTEworthy, too. Often I have no idea about something in the puzzle, such as VIDEO GAME CONES since I've never played any video games but it all perped well.

VIM! is a term I understand. And since I watch Entertainment Tonight I have heard of NICKI Minaj though I have no idea about her performances. I believe she is from one of the Caribbean Islands.

CSO to my late Dad who was in fact a COW HAND or, more accurately, a cowboy.

I loved seeing ANNO DOMINI in toto! I also liked STAR crossing RENAISSANCE(FA)IRE.

And I've always liked the sound of the name PAVLOVA.

Thank you, Scott and Katie, for the pleasant puzzle and thank you, C.C., for interpreting it for us all the while lovingly caring for Boomer.

C.C., please take care of yourself, too; it can all be so overwhelming at times.

I hope you are all enjoying this gorgeous (here, for sure) Sunday!





Lucina said...

My grandson is a whiz at VIDEO GAMES and he is hoping to major in some aspect of that in college. Can you imagine?!

sumdaze said...

FIW with SCAlE & lEER in San Diego but I still give Scott and Katie's puzzle 2 "impressive green thumb"s up. At about 80% full I finally understood the theme, which helped me fix a few cells and fill in the rest.
FAVs: Vegan pizza order, perhaps?, pitching aid?, IMPENDING OM, drops from above

81 cards!!!!! You Cornerites are the best!!
Wishing CC & Boomer a good week ahead.

Picard said...

I just made a post that was deleted. Hope someone can salvage it and delete this one!

Anonymous said...

Big Easy here. Out of town with no way to work the puzzle but after reading CC's expo there would have been two problems. Too in many proper names I wouldn't have caught the Do Re ...etc.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Anyone else notice that Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton have just released a kid-lit book The First Notes: The Story of Do, Re, Mi? What a coinkydink!

waseeley said...

Lucina @3:46 PM I have a nephew who got one of the first degrees awarded in video game development (@ RIT I think). He promptly got a job with Microsoft. I think he's a millionaire.

Anonymous said...

Only they get to decide, on their own site, what to share and what not to share.

Confused by Deciding Comment said...

Anonymous at 6:32 Can you say what you are talking about? Comments are deleted by an algorithm, not by the owners of Crossword Corner.

It is up to the Moderators to look in the trash bin for the site and pull stuff out that doesn't belong there. But it is not clear who "they" is or what comment you are referring to.

Anonymous said...

Fun one today, a real face-palm moment when I finally grokked the theme.

C.C., as mentioned, don’t forget to care for yourself, too — it’ll keep you strong to be able to continue helping the B-Man ❤️

====> Darren

Anonymous T said...

Picard:

After a 3-way call w/ Pop & (CEO) Bro, little brother stayed on the line. We talked for quite a spell about music and I mentioned your connection to Toad the Wet Sprocket.

Are you ready for this?...
It was a silly name made up by Eric Idle //#MontyPython in this '70's recording. [@0:04]
//Bro was supposed to open for Toad and did some background research Googles. [cite]

Everything is connected!!! ;-)

Cheers, -T

Picard said...

AnonT Thank you for that Monty Python recording! I had no idea about that!

I wrote a long post today directed at you and several other people. Very frustrating that the twisted censorship algorithm on this site banished my post to the trash can. I will try again tomorrow and hope someone is minding the store here! Thanks and sorry, everyone!

Anonymous said...

Fun, fun, fun today! Got the theme early and made the fill smooth and rapid. I play piano and guitar and write 🎵🎶 ... actually wrote an entire musical that was produced on local TV!!
Maybe I'm an old fuddy-duddy, but I dislike commercial names used in xword puzzles - it's like free advertising!!

Anonymous said...

CC I really enjoyed your Universal Crossword today, as always great job

Acesaroundagain said...

Thanks for sharing CC. It helps me realize what you both are dealing with. I'm sorry things are getting worse. I hope hospice will be of good use. Godspeed. GC