google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday December 25, 2022 Gary Larson & Amy Ensz

Advertisements

Dec 25, 2022

Sunday December 25, 2022 Gary Larson & Amy Ensz

Theme: "Tis the Season" - Each common phrase is re-phrased as Christmas-related.

23. Snow-covered home in many Hallmark Christmas greetings?: HOUSE OF CARDS.

28. Task of untangling last year's outdoor Christmas decorations?: LIGHT DUTY.

41. Rude way to describe shopping mall Santas?: SUBORDINATE CLAUSES.

66. Like a decorated Christmas tree, usually?: BALL BEARING.

87. Like the contents of a gift-wrapped pet carrier, hopefully?: LIVING IN THE PRESENT.

103. Career preparing gifts for those on Santa's "naughty" list?: COALFIELD.

110. Portraying Comet's sleigh-pulling partner in the Christmas pageant?: PLAYING CUPID.

We have a standard 7-theme entry in a 142 word grid from our crossword power couple. 84 black squares, 6 more than usual.  

Merry Christmas, everyone! I hope your day is full of love and fun. I attended a Christmas eve mass last night. Bill, our Thursday sherpa, asked this mass to be offered to Boomer. Thanks, Bill! It's surreal to sit on the first row and be the first to get Father Charlie's blessing. I did remember to say "Amen" rather than "Thank you!" this time.

Across:

1. "God bless us, __ one!": EVERY. "A Christmas Carol". And 11. __ pudding: Christmas treat: PLUM. 21. Syllables from Santa: HO HO.

6. Cola choice: PEPSI.

15. Org. with Falcons and Ravens: NFL.

18. Stimulates, as curiosity: PIQUES.

20. Mr. T's outfit: A TEAM. And his outfit.


22. ISP pioneer: AOL.

25. Soon, long ago: ANON.

26. Overly: TOO.

27. Most wee: LITTLEST.

30. "Sounder" Best Actress Oscar nominee Cicely: TYSON.



31. Cap brims: VISORS.

34. Dog-__: EARED.

35. Ryder Cup org.: PGA. The 2023 Ryder Cup will be played in Italy.

37. Loudness measure: DECIBEL.

40. Chef's workload: ORDERS.

47. Completely updated: ALL NEW.

48. "Well, shoot": DRAT. Now I know why you need an ATM card. Never had one before. Hope to receive mine next week.

49. Air France hub: ORLY.

50. Wok, for one: PAN.

53. Coffee cup insulators: SLEEVES.


55. TV series based on a Coen brothers film: FARGO.

57. Noted second-place finisher: HARE.

58. Dodger great Reese: PEEWEE. Here with #42.



61. Slender stemware: FLUTE.

62. Went up a size: GREW.

63. "Waterloo" quartet: ABBA.

69. Word with wind and Wing: WEST.

70. Armoire part: DOOR.

71. Oscar winner Hunt: HELEN. For her "As Good as It Gets".


72. Build up: ACCRUE.

74. Go up against: ABUT.

75. Parlor piece: DIVAN.

76. Shows age, as newspaper: YELLOWS.

80. Yoga roll: MAT.

81. Make a bundle?: BALE. Good old clue.

82. Meyers of late-night TV: SETH.

86. British fish dish: EEL PIE. Looks tasty.


91. With good judgment: WISELY.

94. Perfect example: EPITOME.

95. Game console letters: NES.

96. Perfect: IDEAL.

97. Tell: RELATE.

99. Puts at ease: CALMS.

105. Proclaim loudly: BLARE OUT.

108. Actress Basinger: KIM. Here in "L.A. Confidential"




109. "Start talking": OK GO.

114. College domain: EDU.

115. Jump: LEAP.

116. Dispatch: HASTE. I only know "dispatch" as a verb.

117. Wonderland host who says, "It's always tea-time": HATTER. Mad.

118. Tres menos uno: DOS.

119. "NASCAR on NBC" analyst Earnhardt Jr.: DALE.

120. Figures (out): DOPES.

121. Flowering shrub, in gardener slang: RHODY. Rhododendrons.



Down:

1. NT book before Philippians: EPH. Ephesians.

2. Baroque stringed instrument: VIOL.

3. Evenhanded: EQUITABLE.

4. Out of practice: RUSTY.

5. Throws away quickly, in slang: YEETS. Not a word I use.

6. Busy orgs. during campaigns: PACS.

7. Coup d'__: ETAT.

8. According to: PER.

9. Despondent: SAD.

10. Online chats, briefly: IMS.

11. "Exile in Guyville" singer Liz: PHAIR.



12. Yearns (for): LONGS.

13. "I don't like the sound of that": UH OH.

14. __ Jack cheese: MONTEREY.

15. Essence: NATURE.

16. Header's opposite: FOOTER.

17. London insurance giant: LLOYDS.

19. Flight school hurdle: SOLO.

24. Italian fashion house known for leather goods: FENDI. Here's a nice Fendi Baguette.


28. Hang around lazily: LOLL.

29. Some parents: DADS.

31. "La Dolce __": VITA.

32. "Yeah, right": I BET.

33. Min. fraction: SEC.

35. Free TV spots: PSAS.

36. Noisy shorebird: GULL. What?


38. Wrap up: END.

39. Mercury or Saturn: CAR.

40. Norwegian capital: OSLO.

42. Words in a cocktail recipe: ONE PART.

43. Nice dream?: REVE. Nice the French city.

44. Geeky type: DWEEB.

45. __ valve: heart part: AORTIC.

46. Pressing need: URGENCY.

50. Cut (down): PARE.

51. War god: ARES.

52. Small amphibian: NEWT.

54. African language: SWAHILI.

55. Ala. neighbor: FLA.

56. Luminous glow: AURA.

57. "The Time Machine" author: H G WELLS.

59. Telepathic girl in "Stranger Things": ELEVEN.



60. Jazz great Fitzgerald: ELLA.

61. Marshy area: FEN.

63. "House of Gucci" actor Driver: ADAM.

64. "The Book of __ Fett": BOBA.

65. Boxing match: BOUT.

67. Actor Kingsley: BEN.

68. "The Whole Woman" writer Germaine: GREER. A few names in Down slots.

73. Peter Fonda title role: ULEE.

75. Crockett of folklore: DAVY.

77. Confides in: OPENS UP TO. Can't confide much to Carmen now. She's been sick with COVID. 

Lao Pan and Carmen, 5/3/2022


78. Sangria ingredient: WINE.

79. Gels: SETS.

81. Wallet: BILLFOLD.

82. Tizzy: SNIT.

83. Kin of -kin: ETTE.

84. Howe'er: THO.

85. Garment border: HEM.

87. "Dreamgirls" actress Sharon: LEAL.



88. Fix, as a horse: GELD.

89. Brewery letters: IPA.

90. Praline nut: PECAN.

91. Musical set in Oz: WICKED.

92. Eager reply to "Who wants dessert?": I DO I DO.

93. Irish poet Heaney: SEAMUS. Learning moment for me.



97. Fit for a queen: REGAL.

98. Skip the formalities, in a way: ELOPE.

100. Cry of frustration: ARGH. Big Easy got plenty from me last week.

101. Aptly named Renault: LE CAR.

102. Impudence: MOUTH.

104. Superstore with wordless assembly instructions: IKEA.

105. Information unit: BYTE.

106. Baloney: LIES.

107. Seven up, e.g.: TIED. Nice clue.

110. Letters from school: PHD.

111. Asian language: LAO.

112. Egyptian viper: ASP.

113. Like some humor: DRY.

 

A few extra notes:

1) Happy birthday to dear Kathy (Yellowrocks) and Lorraine (Fermatprime)! Have not heard from Lorraine for a while. I think her good friend Malcolm reads our blog from time to time.

Kathy (Yellowrocks), Dec 10, 2020

2) Boomer was buried on Dec 17th Saturday. It was a beautiful cold day. I wish I could tell him that I received the most amazing group card from his Monday morning traveling league, so so many guys signed it. And all five of his Thursday night teammates showed up for the visitation despite the bad weather, but he probably knew everything.  

 

I just want to say a special "thank you" to Dr. Nina (inanehiker). I would not have been able to take good care of Boomer without her medical and life advice. Nina patiently and promptly answered all my questions. She checked on me regularly and she still does. Her book of hope in the darkness, her generous gift card, her kindness and love will stay with me forever. 

I also want to thank constructor Tom Pepper, who drove Boomer to the VA, moved the TV and chair upstairs, and installed a floating shelf for me in our bathroom. Tom was there every step of the way for Boomer's funeral service. And he helped pay the group dinner after the mass. What you've done for me, Tom, touched me deeply.
 
Also want to thank D-Otto, Agnes, TTP, and my whole blogging team, who were always there for me when I needed help.

And to our blog readers, esp Janice Leavitt (Ohio), Glenn (Acesaroundagain), Tara Silva, Misty and Kelly Clark, thank you so much for making Boomer feel special in his final months.
    
I had a rocky start without Boomer. Wells Fargo locked me out of our bank account and deactivated my only credit card on Dec 16. Suddenly simple life basics became impossible. Hope the glitches get solved next week and I can live again. 
 
C.C.

38 comments:

desper-otto said...

Good morning! (And Merry Christmas for those of you who celebrate.)

Still cold (Christmasy?) weather here in the southland. We're hoping it gets up to 40-ish so we can resume our daily march through the 'hood.

No real problem with this puz. YEETS, FENDI, and LEAL had to be perped. Got BLARE OUT, but it still looks/feels awkward. Blurt out, yes, Blare out, no. Thanx, Gary, Amy, and C.C. (Sorry to hear of the ordeal with the bank. Those financial institutions have big hearts. Not. This week is bound to be better.)

Subgenius said...

I had basically the same fills that needed to be perped as D-O. I’d like to say also that I appreciated the appropriateness of the theme to this day, Christmas Day. Other than that, I don’t have too much to add. FIR, so I’m happy.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW, missing TIEs x RHOsY. Not sure I've heard "seven up" for TIED. "Seven all" for sure. Also DNK PLUM pudding, that FARGO was a TV series, YEETS, FENDI (thought it might be slang for a nice electric guitar), ELEVEN (House had a resident named "Thirteen", IIRC), ADAM Driver (but I knew Minnie),BOBA Fett (but I knew Baba O'Riley), and SEAMUS. Many erasures, including AORTal and AORTIl before getting it right.

Brits eat EEL PIE? There's a bumper sticker for ya. I'm glad we won the revolution.

Let's get this straight. He went by DAVID Crockett. Calling him DAVY would get you beaten up, or worse.

I grew up calling it pahCAHN. When I lived in Texas I learned to call it PEEcn. In either case, I have a genuine, store-bought PECAN pie for today's feast.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all Cornerites who celebrate them.

Thanks to Gary for another fine Sunday puzzle. And thanks to CC for explaining it all, and for sharing your grief and tribulations. Thanks to all the Cornerites who were and are a help and comfort to you in these sorrowful days.

desper-otto said...

Interesting story about how Pearl Harbor was instrumental in getting crosswords published in "that other newspaper." I'm pretty sure the article's behind a paywall, so I'll just cut/paste the whole shebang...
---
The New York Times was not simply serious. It was proudly anti-fun. “Strictly a Newspaper,” it advertised in 1925. “Without Comics. Without Puzzles.”

But World War II — of all things — finally prompted The Times to include a game.

Eleven days after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, which ushered America into the war, the editor of The Times’s Sunday sections wrote a letter to the publisher, Arthur Hays Sulzberger (1891-1968), about what he called “the cross word puzzle thing.” The letter, dated Dec. 18, 1941, is in the Museum at The Times.

“We ought to proceed with the puzzle,” the Sunday editor, Lester Markel (1894-1977), wrote, “especially in view of the fact that it is possible that there will now be bleak blackout hours — or if not that, then certainly a need for relaxation.”

Two months later, on Feb. 15, 1942, the first crossword puzzle ran in the Sunday Magazine. It was constructed by Charles Erlenkotter (1881-1948) on a 23-by-23 grid; a tear sheet of the original is in The Times’s archive. It was edited by Margaret Farrar (1897-1984), who was already known for “The Cross Word Puzzle Book.” She expanded the puzzle to the daily paper in 1950 and was the crossword editor until 1969.

“You can’t think of your troubles while solving a cross word,” Mrs. Farrar told Mr. Markel in a memo. But there was no avoiding the harrowing reality of war.

“Famous one-eyed general” was the clue for 1-Across, a six-letter word. (Wavell — for Gen. Sir Archibald Wavell of Britain, whose victory against Italy at the Battle of Sidi Barrani in Egypt in 1940 “shattered the illusion of Axis invincibility,” The Times said in his obituary.)

“Nazi submarine base in Belgium” was 117-Down, six letters. (Ostend.)

“Reluctant allies of Germany” was 54-Down, five letters. (Finns.)

“Prime necessity for war production” was 49-Down, five letters. (Speed.)
---

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

Merry Christmas everyone, I hope Santa was generous to all!

Today’s puzzle was a lovely present which I thoroughly enjoyed solving. The theme was fun and timely, the fill was clean and, thankfully, light on pop culture, and the pesky three letter words were noticeably few, for a Sunday grid. I had Gucci before Fendi and GPA before PHD. I needed perps for Reve, Boba, and Eleven, as clued. The atrocious Yeets was offset by the presence of Ms. Helen Hunt and one of my favorite movies, As Good As It Gets, with that rascally canine, Verdell.

Thanks, Gary and Amy, for a pleasant start to a special day and thanks, CC, for your usual insider’s analysis and observations. Good luck resolving the banking issue. (I echo Jinx’s thanks to everyone who helped CC in her time of need, especially Tom Pepper and our own Nina. I’m also touched by Bill W’s thoughtfulness in having a Christmas Eve Mass offered in Boomer’s memory.)

Happy Birthday, Kathy, hope you celebrate in style! 🎂🎁🎉🎊🎈

Happy Birth Day, Ferm, hope you’re doing well 🎂🎁🎉🎊🎈

DO @ 7:40 Thanks for sharing that very interesting and unknown, to me, story of the Times and crosswords.

FLN

SS, As painful as my fall was, I’m sure your experience was much more traumatic as an 8 year old, in the ER on Christmas Day! I’ll do my best to stay out of trouble today! 🤭

I watched Elvis last night and was blown away by the performance of Austin Butler. If he doesn’t win an Oscar for this portrayal, there is no justice in this world. He was simply amazing. And, Tom Hanks was equally outstanding as Colonel Parker who, if accurately presented, was despicable. Another role for Hanks that showcases his incredible range and talent.

Have a lovely Christmas Day.

Big Easy said...

A Christmasy puzzle for today. Normal terms (except COAL FIELD) for Christmas items. The NW & SE gave me trouble with EPH, YEETS, FENDI unknown in the NW and the tricky clues for HASTE, DOPES, & TIED in the SE. Never heard of RHODY.

LEAL, BOBA, GREER, PHAIR, REVE, SEAMUS, ELEVEN- thank you perps for those other unknowns.
URGENCY- why do some fell compelled to post their time? It's not a race.
MOUTH- many people need to learn to shut but don't have that ability.

LIVING IN THE PRESENT- too many people live in the past but the smartest people plan for the future.

Anonymous said...

“Seven up” = TIED in what sport(s)? I’m not too familiar with sports terminology, the TIED/RHODY crossing was the last square I filled. Also had a bit of trouble with VIOL (started with LUTE), GELD, REVE (?!) (got the Nice trick instantly, just didn’t know the word), and the area with names crossing other names crossing some more names with an extra helping of names. I’m surprised I didn’t get Naticked.

Lucina said...

Hola!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

This was fun to solve, thank you, Gary, Amy and Patti!

Sunday puzzle are of necessity long and slow but ultimately doable. It's nice to have a Christmas theme, too.

And I'm always happy to see ABBA in a puzzle and immediately start one of their songs in my head.

LIVING IN THE PRESENT was a recurring theme in the Convent.

My family was here last night for dinner then took all their presents home to open this morning. I won't get there until after Mass. I was just too tired to attend Mass last night which I would like to have done. But I'm going at 10 this morning then go to their house. By then they will have opened everything. They have some real surprises. Ifound one of those floor pianos like the one in the movie, BIG, for my granddaughter. I tink she'll like it.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!

C.C., I'm so sorry for your problems. I hope everything is soon resolved.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A perfect Christmas present.
-To me a VISOR is a topless hat, the bill is a brim
-The PGA would love to have a personality like Mahomes to entice people to tune in
-Kentucky-born PEE WEE made a point of publicly befriending Jackie Robinson
-Modern, round BALES of hay are 5’ tall weigh a half a ton
-I learned from crosswording – There is an EEL PIE Island in the River Thames
-These RHODYS and azaleas in this location are a sure sign of spring
-PHAIR and YEETS filled in before I could say UH OH
-Here’s a type of FOOTER I taught in my Office Class
-Sea World put up nets over outdoor dining areas to keep GULLS from taking food off your plate
-GREER – I wonder if Patti just avoids cluing like “Garson who played Mrs. Miniver” just to balance out generations
-Thanks for the update, C.C.! There’s a lot of wonderful people around here that love you.

D4E4H said...

Dear Corner kith,

I wondered about the word "kith" to find that the phrase "One's kith and kin" means one's friends and relations.

I would have posted sooner, but time flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.  See - paraprosedokian

My purpose is to wish you a "Merry Christmas!", but why do we use that word?  
Christmas is an annual feast originally a mass in memory of the birth of Christ, held on the 25th of December. We almost forget the true reason for Christmas these days.

Cartoonist Hugh Haynie captured this condition well - "Now, Let's See, Have I Forgotten Anyone?"

I wish you the Merriest of Christmases!

C.C., Thank you for sharing your feelings about Boomer's death. I pray for you.

Ðavið

Jerry S said...

Sorry for your loss. Sending you 100,000 angel to heal and ease your path.
I’ve been there. Be very slow and gentle with yourself this next year.
Blessings to you and your family

desper-otto said...

Husker, I'd be more concerned with the gulls putting something onto my plate. I remember one memorable inspection in boot camp in San Diego. A seagull made a rather large deposit into my white hat on my way to the "grinder." I was surprised I wasn't gigged for it.

KS said...

Merry Christmas all!
FIW. I had living in the present, but changed it to giving. I'd never heard of the DreamWorks actress and thought Leal looked wrong, so changed it to Geal. Should have trusted my first gut feeling.

Picard said...

CC Welcome back. Thanks for the Boomer update and acknowledgements to all who helped. That is very scary about being locked out of your bank account and credit card. I hope someone here can offer advice. I have a friend who went through this with his parents and it took a long time to fix. Let me know if you need to borrow money for the short term.

We are just back from our travels to visit my brother in the Bay Area and also to MONTEREY. Our first time to the MONTEREY Bay Aquarium for maybe five years and there is a new section.

Here is my short video of a Bloody Belly Comb Jelly putting on quite a light show at the MONTEREY Bay Aquarium.

I love EEL and it has gotten quite expensive.

Yellowrocks and Fermatprime Happy Birthday. And Merry Christmas to our Christian friends here.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

🎄

A bright sunny snow covered day. DD and family traveling as I write from outside of Boston "over the river and through the woods" (the Mass Turnpike and NYS Thruway) and should arrive soon
❄❄❄
Everyone have a Merry Christmas.
❄❄❄
CC, It's difficult to a spend a holiday so soon after the passing of a loved one but I'm sure you are surrounded by a wonderful family and special friends.

🎄

Malodorous Manatee said...

Merry Christmas to all.

Special wishes for C.C.

TTP said...



Good morning. Thank you, Gary and Amy, and thank you, C.C.

Happy birthday to Yellowrocks and FermatPrime !

Never ever knew of reve. Perps. Ditto with ELEVEN, SEAMUS and LEAL.

PLUM pudding ? I have some dried plums in the cupboard. I wonder if they'll work as a substitue in the recipe I just read.

In the end, one error. I spelled ULEE as ULLE, and that also made that British fish dish ELLPIE. The worst part is that I knew both answers.

D-O, thanks for that article. Interesting that 3 of the 4 answers cited in that 1942 crossword puzzle were proper nouns. What's old is new again.

waseeley said...

Thank you Gary and Amy. You have contributed greatly to my Christmas joy, which I now share with the BALL BEARING FIR in my living room.

And thank you C.C. for the review and most especially for the inspiring CODA dedicated to our dear friend Boomer and to all those who helped you to send him off to Heaven.

As we are headed out the door to see the Grandchildren and with still a gift or two to wrap I have only one comment on

15A NFL. Please forgive me Granny, but the RAVENS beat the FALCONS yesterday, and we are headed to the playoffs!

God Bless You and a Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah to ALL Cornerites!

Cheers,
Bill

ATLGranny said...

A FIR this Christmas morning. That's a nice present! Thanks Gary and Amy for the puzzle and its appropriate theme, easily gotten. Perps straightened me out in several areas with resulting WOs. No fuss. I enjoy being reminded of words I know but haven't used lately: PIQUED & EPITOME.

C.C., thank you for coming today to do the review and update us. So glad to hear of all the helpful friends coming to your aid, maybe offsetting some of the troubles you've been having. I hope the financial ones are soon resolved at least.

Happy Birthday to YR. And Happy Holidays to all.







ATLGranny said...

Go, ho, ho. I forgive you!

Sandyanon said...

CC, I was surprised to see you back at Sunday blogging so soon, but hope that it's a healing occupation for you.

I enjoyed the puzzle theme a lot, though coalfield did seem a bit different from the other theme answers.

CrossEyedDave said...

just a couple of puzzle hiccups, but got it done.
i dont know why, but when i saw "seven up,' I just thought 'diet."
surpisingly, right letters, wrong order...

Happy Birthday Yellowrocks, and Fermat Prime!
I was looking for a squaredancing cake, when I came across these cakes that just blew me away...

Oh, and as long as we are looking for cakes, Lest not forget...

Anonymous said...

Margaret Farrar was one of those names that made you realize you were likely in for a tussle back in the early 80’s when I first began solving crosswords (or trying to) to impress a beautiful girl I was dating - and later married.

Misty said...

Wonderful Christmas day puzzle, thank you so much for this gift, Gary and Amy. And it's also a real gift to have you with us on this day, C.C. We'll just pray that your financial troubles become quickly and easily resolved.

Hope EVERYone will get a HOUSE of Christmas CARDS today, and a visit not from that SUBORDINATE CLAUSE but from the SANTA one. It will be nice if you all have an EQUITABLE day with family and friends, and with more than PEPSI and PLUMs for Christmas dinner. So have a good one,
EVERYbody, HO HO HO.

And best wishes for a wonderful 2023.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Dave2, I remember Hugh Haynie well. When I was a kid we got the Courier Journal delivered, and I would always look for "Lois" hidden in the drawing. I think that stopped when they got divorced. Got me into the habit of looking at the political cartoons every day, and I still do. Thanks for the memory.

Anonymous said...

I appreciated your kind offer to CC.
Wells Fargo has just been fined for unwarranted imposition of fines on their customers' accounts. Best to use another bank if possible.

Anonymous said...

Dear CC, Thank you for sharing your love and grief for Boomer. Please be careful during the next few months! Maybe leave Wells Fargo for a customer-friendly bank. And then sit tight! Prayers for you.

sumdaze said...

A Christmas-themed puzzle was a nice present for this Sunday morning. I had to look up "The Whole Woman", which made me say ARGH because just 2 nights ago I watched "Rick Steves' European Christmas" where he showed people in the UK buying live eels for their EEL PIEs.

I'll take a CSO for MONTEREY. My great aunt claimed she knew the original MONTEREY Jack but I have not been able to match up her story with other things I've read.
Picard, I liked your video from the new Into the Deep exhibit. I went a couple of months ago. I was enthralled by the creatures' use of bioluminescence.

Happy b-day to YR and FermatPrime. May your bouquets not include poinsettias.
= )

Thank you for letting us know how you are getting along, C.C. You should not have to struggle with banks right now. Shame on them.
Day by day...one step at a time...

waseeley said...

CED @1:22 PM What a sweet birthday cake! 🎂 🍰

waseeley said...

Misty @2:34 PM I guess Santa can get so busy that he has to send out an ELF to deliver his gifts (or COAL as the case may be).

waseeley said...

Anonymous @9:2- AM In any sport that I can think of "Seven up" would mean TIED.

waseeley said...

Picard @10:44 AM. Beautiful video of the comb jelly at the MBA.

PK said...

Merry Holidays! Thank you, G.L. & A.E., for a hard but doable puzzle with an amusing theme. Lots of unknowns, but filled 'em all. Good to have to concentrate on something beyond my own problems.

One laughable moment: Mr.T's outfit wasn't "bling" but ATEAM.

One not laughable moment: was up at 4 a.m., tripped and fell hard on both knees. Phone was in another room. I was near my lift recliner and managed to wallow around on the floor and get my torso onto the chair. Then I could use the electric lift to hoist myself into a better position. Good news: nothing broken. Knees, bad feet, & hands hurting all day, but able to get around pushing my wheel chair for upright balance.

Elder son & his two grown boys brought me some goodies and stayed for a good visit. Hadn't seen the grandsons for a year. Very enjoyable. Got some much needed hugs. Hopefully no germs. Also had a loooong phone visit with my out-of-state son. So a tolerable Xmas after all.

PK said...

C.C., so sorry for your loss of Boomer and the financial problems. I lost my husband suddenly many years ago and the financial aftermath kept me from grieving properly for years. My bank didn't freeze our account altho that had been my fear. Years before One of my friends had her bank account confiscated by the bank for debt when her husband died. Seeing her struggle, I opened my own single account in another bank after that. Banks give large sums to charities but are not charitable to those they loan money to. Let us know how you get along with this. We love you.

PK said...

Happy Birthday, Kathy & Lorraine!

Michael said...

D4E4H's pointer to the Kentucky paper for the Christmas cartoon was incomplete:

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/opinion/2021/12/23/hugh-haynies-christmas-eve-cartoon-tradition-opinion/6434726001/

Anonymous said...

One TD each in an NFL game would be “7 up” 😎

Cross@words said...

up as in "apiece"
so, "7 apiece"