google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Monday April 17, 2023 Catherine Cetta

Advertisements

Apr 17, 2023

Monday April 17, 2023 Catherine Cetta

  

Hello Cornerites!

One of the fun aspects about solving XWD puzzles is the connections we encounter between the puzzle and a our own life events. We have an example of that today. Perhaps many of you were thinking, "Hey, we just talked about that."
You are correct! The L.A. Times Friday, April 7 puzzle featured the clechos 25 Down. Full of beans:  LYING and 30 Down. Full of beans:  PHONY. Pedant the Brit commented, "To me 'Full of beans' means lively, energetic and not lying or phony." AnonT helped to explain with a link to his 3rd favorite reference**, Blazing Saddles. More fun comments followed.

Today, seasoned constructor Catherine Cetta has served up a full puzzle dedicated to this phrase. It is a good reminder of how editor Patti Varol is not only thinking about each day's puzzles, but also about how the puzzles follow each other.

Fortunately for me, I only have to think about Mondays. My title for this Monday is
Beans, Beans the Magical Fruit  ♪♪♪
First, the themed clues:

17. *"Don't be a stranger!": KEEP IN TOUCH.  pinto beans

27. *Vision in the mind's eye: MENTAL IMAGE.  lima beans

43. *Enthusiastic compliment in the fitting room: THAT IS SO YOU.  soy beans

And the reveal:

58. Completely wrong, and what the answers to the starred clues literally are?: FULL OF BEANS.

Here's the scoop:  Each starred clue's answer contains a type of bean, making the phrases "FULL OF BEANS". The circles are there to help identify the beans.
I wondered if there could be an element of insincerity in the comments, adding an extra layer to the "not true" idea. However, MENTAL IMAGE does not seem to fit that idea.

Of course we want AnonT to smile, so here is his Blazing Saddles (1974) link:

Let's sort through the other clues:

Across:
1. Hornets and yellow jackets: WASPS.

6. Meghan Trainor's "All __ That Bass": ABOUT.  (2014)
not a song about fish!

11. Poorly lit: DIM.  

14. Change: ALTER.  When saying "I do", one might ALTER her name at the altar.

15. Italian grandma: NONNA.  
Momento di Tenerezza,(Moment of Tenderness)
paining by Italian artist Gaetano Bellei (1857-1922)
16. Earth-friendly prefix: ECO.

19. Word with baseball or bottle: CAP.  Clues like this make for a fun solve.

20. Former flames: EXES.  A good piece of trivia to know about pop star Taylor Swift is that she is known for writing songs about her high-profile EXES. Here is a list of 30 songs presumed to be about her EXES.

21. Mischievous types: IMPS.

22. Screen symbols: ICONS.  There is a fun double-meaning here if you think of the Silver Screen and a computer screen.

24. "Save Your Tears" singer Grande: ARIANA.

26. Begin: START.

31. Celeb's entourage: POSSE.  
35. Many moons __: AGO.

36. Resting on: ATOP.  "The weathervane is perched ATOP the barn."

37. Poker buy-ins: ANTES.  
38. Prez on a fiver: ABE.

39. Military unit: TROOP.

40. "Watch your __!": STEP.  Mind the gap.

41. Kerfuffle: ADO.

42. Trumpets and tubas: HORNS.  Last Tuesday OMK brought up John Philips Sousa so I thought I'd include this trivia for HORNS:  [The sousaphone was] developed in 1893 at the direction of the American bandleader John Philip Sousa, it was designed so that it is easier to play than a regular concert tuba, whether the player is marching or standing. It was also made to carry its sound above the heads of the rest of the marching band members. Unlike the tuba, which is carried in front of the player, the sousaphone is circular and fits around the player’s body. source
47. Utopias: EDENS.

48. Familiar saying: OLD SAW.  An oft-repeated saying, maxim, or proverb: a clich
éd or hackneyed expression.  Ex:  An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

52. Soul singer Baker: ANITA.

53. "Creations from la cocina" brand: GOYA.  "Cocina" translates to "kitchen", a hint at "food". This brand is featured in the ethnic foods aisle in the store where I shop.
more beans
55. Ninny: TWIT.  Someone who tweets?  

57. Weeding tool: HOE.

61. Curvy letter: ESS.  

62. "August: __ County": Meryl Streep film: OSAGE.  I have not seen this movie but after watching this trailer, I put it on my library queue. A lot of good actors appear in it.

Trailer (2013)

63. Novelist Jong: ERICA.  "Ms. Jong is most famous for her rollicking debut novel, Fear of Flying, which has sold more than 37 million copies worldwide and will have its 50th anniversary next year." (NY Times 9/24/2022)

64. Intersected: MET.  
These 2 circles do not intersect.
Pretty trippy, huh?
65. Lose it: GO MAD.  Speaking of... last week Al Jaffee of Mad Magazine passed away at the age of 102. RIP.  Rolling Stone obit

66. Sign on many doors: ENTER.  
This is one of my favorite Gary Larson comics.

Down:
1. Rouse from sleep: WAKE.

2. Apple : Siri :: Amazon : __: ALEXA.  A lot of SAT questions take this format. Read, "Apple is to Siri as Amazon is to __."

3. Take the helm: STEER.  
He is using his reins to STEER the Texas Longhorn STEER.
4. One side in the cola wars: PEPSI.  the cola wars of the 1980s

5. __ Lanka: SRI.  
SRI Lanka tourism

6. Insect-sized superhero played by Paul Rudd: ANTMAN.  
Paul Rudd seems like he would be a polite guest if you invite him over to dinner...
but maybe not to a picnic.

7. Jazz Age cartoon Betty __: BOOP.  
8. Heavy burden: ONUS.  My old boss, Matt, used to say this word a lot. It seeped into my lexicon.

9. Duke's ACC rival: UNC.  Atlantic Coast Conference and University of North Carolina

10. Island in French Polynesia: TAHITI.  
French Polynesia was made an overseas territory of France in 1946.

11. Interior designer: DECORATOR.  how much an interior decorator costs in 2023
My décor is basically books, plants, and art I like even though it does not match the couch.

12. Melodramatic cry of exhaustion: I CAN'T GO ON.

13. Unkempt dos: MOPS.  
The Beatles helped popularize the MOP top haircut in the 60's.
18. Number of innings in most baseball games: NINE.

23. Chevy muscle car: CAMARO.  GM has said the last of the 2024 model year will come off the assembly line in Lansing, MI next January. npr article

25. Iowa city north of Des Moines: AMES.  
But how far is it from AMES to Please?
26. __-mo: SLO.

28. Definite no-no: TABOO.  (adj.)  prohibited or restricted by social custom.
a TABOO tattoo
29. Mature: AGE.  not necessarily synonymous 😜

30. "Love & Basketball" actor Omar: EPPS.  (2000) 3 1/2 stars on IMDb 
Yesterday he was 109A. "House" actor Omar.

31. Yesteryear: PAST.

32. Precisely: ON THE NOSE.  

33. Most reliable, in a way: STEADIEST.

34. Days of the week, e.g.: SEPTET.  More clues like this one, please!

38. Pop-ups in many free apps: ADS.

39. Dull impact sound: THUD.
Close to Home Comic Strip for July 24, 2000

41. Braying quadruped: ASS.

44. Rather out of it: IN A FOG.  The title of The Foggiest Place in the World goes to an area of the Atlantic Ocean called the Great Banks, lying off the coast of Newfoundland.  source: 8 Facts about Fog

45. Fluctuated wildly: YO-YOED.  
After you listen to this 3 min. clip of a performance by American cellist Yo-Yo Ma, you will have YO-YOED.
Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott - The Swan (Saint-Saëns)

46. Elsa and Anna's snowman pal: OLAF.  
Lt to Rt:  OLAF, Elsa, Anna from Frozen
49. Back of a boat: STERN.

50. Eagerly expect: AWAIT.

51. Show a bit of pain: WINCE.  
Tiger hits a regrettable one.

52. "I can hear you, you know": AHEM.  over-dramatic throat clearing noise 

53. Glitzy genre: GLAM.  
She may be a bit overdressed for her surroundings.
54. Gymnast Korbut: OLGA.

56. Bygone Russian ruler: TSAR.

59. GI entertainers: USO.
USO Bob Hope Christmas show in Vietnam War archival footage (1 min.)

60. Honey-making pollinator: BEE.  It is estimated that pollinators (including 1A. WASPS) are responsible for 1/3 of the food we eat.

Here's the grid:


That's all for today. Now that I am finished, I aM UNGlued from my computer!

** AnonT's 1st favorite reference is Monty Python, 2nd is anything Rush-related, and 3rd is Blazing Saddles. Do I have that correct?  😉

39 comments:

OwenKL said...

There was a girl from TAHITI,
The boys loved to hear her go "tee-hee"
That tickled them so,
They tickled her toes,
And learned she knew how to knee he!

They thought Columbus FULL OF BEANS,
His India trip was in his dreams.
On beans he fed his crew,
When beans do what beans do,
They sailed on IN A FOG, it seems!

Subgenius said...

I imagine we’ll get some interesting reminisces about the Camaro today. I don’t have any myself, so I’ll just say it seemed like a typical Monday puzzle to me; i.e. “a walk in the park.” FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Can't believe that it took an alphabet run to solve this one -- that G in GOYA/GLAM. At least it wasn't a Monday DNF. Catherine Cetta nice exercise for us. Enjoyed your tour, as always, Sumdaze. (Jack's beans were "magical," methinks the beans in that song were "musical.")

KS said...

FIR. The only place I had doubts was the crossing of UNC and nonna, which was new to me. But an educated guess filled it in. Otherwise, an easy Monday puzzle.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased erupt for GO MAD.

Or, to avoid typecasting, the former Sopranos actor turned down a role in a different mob-themed show. "I CAN'T GOON," said he.

I don't get "braying quadrupled" for ASS. (But don't get me wrong - I'm not anti-ASS by any means.)

Thanks to Sumdaze for another fine review. I think you are right about -T's favorites. Mine would be 1) Blazing Saddles, 2) Caddie Shack, 3) Animal House (Jimmy Buffett would be my Rush).

Anonymous said...

Took 3:48 to solve, and I didn't get a black eye.

Not much to say about this one, other than, "Oh joy, circles."

Jinx, it's not "quadrupled", it's quadruped, which I assume means 4-legged.

CrossEyedDave said...

Well,
At least todays puzzle didn't give me gas..

Actually, I much more enjoyed the write up and all the links.
(After this I am going to find out all about Taylor's love life...)


Anon-T's favs?
I think Rush might even be ahead of Monty, let's just call it a tie for first...

My silly links?
I don't think I want to pursue them today, kinda gross. I think this site is called "sad and useless humor..."

I was tempted to visit the site, but the next pic in line was from the same site. I think I need to move on to something more palatable...

This had possibilities, 19 things full of beans that shouldn't. but it turns out to be Reddit, and you have to sign in to see anything and be assailed with ads. Not worth my time. (But, it did have possibilities..)

ATLGranny said...

What a smooth filling Monday puzzle! Thanks, Catherine. I remembered I like your puzzles.

Mostly my first thoughts were the right fill for today. SEPTET was one exception but perps convinced me. The only WO I had was STEER/STEaR/STEER, where I waffled about the spelling. That happened recently too so I googled and found that STEER is usually the right spelling since STEAR is related to stearic acid.

Sumdaze, thanks for your cheerful review. Your use of "mind the gap" intrigued me so back to googling. It's a British phrase first used in the London underground system as a warning when exiting a rail car. Another somewhat similar saying "Mind how you go" reminds me of Bill G (and DI Thursday on the PBS show Endeavour).

FLN:

TXMs
You can print out the puzzle without having a subscription from the LA Times or WaPo. When the delivered paper price for our AJC went way up, we switched to the digital version. I still like to solve with pen on paper so we print out a copy each day.

Sum1els
Welcome to the Corner! Nice name.

Take care everyone and have a good day!

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Sub til 11:45 and golf at 12:30. Life is good.
- The only unknown was how Catherine was going to tie the BEANS together
-Granddaughter said I DO in a farm meadow and did not ALTER her last name
-Correcting a person who calls a sousaphone a tuba is not always a smart thing. Let it go!
-I saw County and Streep in the clue and immediately thought of The Bridges of Madison County
-Those NINE inning games are going boy about a half-hour faster this season. Yay!
-The list of TABOOS seems to be shrinking
-STEADIEST/Reliable – I ain’t much but I do show up
-Seeing Tiger WINCE in pain was very hard to watch in the Masters this year
-Fun job, Renee!

RosE said...

Good Morning! What a lovely puzzle to start the week! Thanks, Catherine!
I filled the reveal from the circled beans. And, if you want to take the giggles (gas) out of beans, a tried and true method is to soak and rinse the beans (3X) in 1 tsp. baking soda to 4 qts water. It works!!
Anon @ 7:14. Aha, no I see it after reading your comment! “Quadruped” Now it makes sense!
I loved the painting of NONNA. You can feel the joy in their faces. Thanks, sumdaze, for a fun & informative recap.
Midvale School is also one of my favorites along with the ball bearing factory. Sorry, but I laugh at slapstick. I enjoy Larson’s irreverent humor. See him every day on FB.
I was not much of a honey fan until I discovered raw bamboo honey. So different! So good!!
ATLGranny, I agree! I also print out the LAT CW every day because I like doing it with paper & pen.

RosE said...

'Scuse me, Anon, meant to say "Now I see it."

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Thanks, 7:14. Quadruped, quadrupled. What the ell is goin' on here?

What would someone want to de-fart beans? Some day i guess I'll outgrow my belief that all things fart are funny. It should happen soon - after all I'm not seventy any more.

waseeley said...

Thanks Catherine for getting us off to a good start this week. Here I'll put in a good word for a graduated increase in solving difficulty as the week progresses. It may take a bit more effort to tune the clues appropriately, but it's a good way to encourage and attract new solvers, which is obviously something the editors are trying to do.

And thanks as always sumdaze for a fun, informative review. TGIM!

58A FULL OF BEANS. I was reminded a piece of music by an obscure Baroque composer named Johann Heinrich Schmeltzer called Sonata on the day of the Bean Feast, scored for Bassoon and obligato. This is in effect a comical Baroque tone poem for the low-sounds made during the celebration of the bean harvest, reminiscent of sumdaze's title song. I searched high and low on YouTube, but alas couldn't find a version of it.

55A TWIT. I believe that ELON's handle is "Chief Twit", and very aptly chosen it is.

63A ERICA. And Fear of Flying was famous for popularizing a MEME that enabled two lovers to instantaneously go from clothed to nekkid without the necessity of unzipping zippers to do what it is that nekkid lovers do.

45D YOYOED. My favorite clip of course. Saint-Saëns was a child prodigy, perhaps even greater the W.A. Mozart. At his debut performance at age 10, he played not only piano concertos by Mozart and Beethoven, but offered to play any of Beethoven's 32 piano sonatas from memory. Saint-Saëns was also a polymath, gifted in many other areas such as French literature, Latin and Greek, divinity, and mathematics. His interests included philosophy, archaeology and astronomy. The really interesting thing about his work is that each piece sounds as if it was written by a genius, but yet he has no discernible "style", i.e. no two pieces sound alike.

Cheers,
Bill

sumdaze said...

Good morning, everyone! I enjoy reading your comments.
D-otto@5:31. "Musical" does seem a better match....
waseeley@9:47. I always enjoy it when you share your classical knowledge!

Monkey said...

No complaints this morning. Pleasant puzzle, I love beans, and informative and fun Sumdaze recap.

I should have recognized GOYA, but my mind kept thinking of the Spanish painter by that name so couldn’t understand the clue.

At first I had GO ape, then quickly changed it when GLAM showed up.

The great Ahmad Jamal has died at age 92. One of the greats of Jazz music.

Saint-Saëns was no slouch himself. Thanks for the info Waseely.

Yellowrocks said...

An old fashioned, fast as I can write Monday puzzle with no unfamiliar clues or fill. I saw the beans right away and liked the reveal.
I always associate Goya with beans, although they make other products, as well.
Gary, the list of taboos is indeed shrinking, except when it comes to words. The list of taboo words that formerly were innocent with no bad connotation is growing astronomically. Silly overkill. My son, David, says soon Santa will be condemned for saying HO HO HO.
In a political debate, one debater called his opponent's phrase an oxymoron. The indignant reply, "Who are you calling a moron?", speaks for itself.
Sumdaze, thanks for the fun post. I use both meanings of full of beans.
Kathryn Scott, the pianist with Yo-Yo Ma spells her name like I do. I love Yo-Yo Ma's music.

Monkey said...

Yes, on YO YO MA. I saw him perform many, many years ago in New Orleans, if I remember correctly.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This was a pleasant stroll through the park with no unknowns, no w/os, no problems. Because of the circles, the beans were obvious but, as HG said, the reveal was a guessing game until the reveal summed up the theme up quite nicely. CSO to CED et al at Imps. I consider Goya an Easter Egg. I was surprised at the number (8) of fill-in-the-blank clues and I hope this isn’t another new trend.

Thanks, Catherine, for a fitting Monday offering and thanks, sumdaze, for the chuckles and the humorous asides sprinkled throughout your entertaining and informative commentary. I especially enjoyed Yo Yo Ma’s beautiful rendition of The Swan. Your choices for Anon T’s favorite references are spot on, IMO.

FLN

Sum1els, welcome to the Corner!

Have a great day.

CanadianEh! said...

Marvellous Monday. Thanks for the fun, Catherine and sumdaze.
I FIRed in 10 minutes online - all the time I had before more visiting.
Found the beans, and thought we had discussed the different meanings previously.

I noted WASPS and BEES.
Read you all later hopefully.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Wow sumdaze, you pretty much got me down to a -T ;-) //Not just Blazing Saddles but anything Mel Brooks.

Thanks Catherine for the quick Monday run with some fun.

Thanks sumdaze for a mighty-fine review. I enjoyed the clips & comics. Oh, And thanks for noting Al Jaffee - I heard about his passing but it slipped my mind every time I walked into The Corner.
//for those that don't know, Al was the guy that, among other things, came up with the "fold-in" page. Colbert's tribute.

WOs: USC->UNC, brass -> HORNS
ESPs: OLGA, ERICA
Fav: Bitchin' CAMERO [The Dead Milkmen - 3:02]

Jinx - LOL, "I CAN'T GOON."

GOYA - it's funny (to me anyway): At our H.E.B. (Texas chain), Goya can be found on the aisle with other brands and in the "ethnic" aisle.

Enjoyed reading y'all.
Cheers, -T

Charlie Echo said...

Monday, Monday! Still too many proper names for my taste, but the perps were fair. FIR without Google or red letters, and only a wee bit of Witeout at BRASS/HORNS and GO APE/GO MAD. TROOP was a given for an old Air Cavalryman. I got to see two Bob Hope shows when I was in VN. Had to go AWOL from 85th Evac hospital to get to the first one, and thought I'd be in trouble, but Hope, Jim Nabors and Gloria Loring had stopped by the hospital after the show. I guess that the Powers That Be figured missing them was punishment enough! My "just got out of service, and looking for fun" gift to myself was a '75 Camaro. Sumdaze, entertaining recap!

Lucina said...

Hola!

A fun run from Catherine Cetta and sumdaze! Thank you both.

BEAMS om the circles revealed themselves and made me nostalgic. If not for BEANS while growing up there would have been no food. That and tortillas which my mother made.

Paintings by GOYA are prominently displayed at the Prado Museum in Madrid. OTOH, GOYA products are not available at the Kroger stores. I've seen them only at Bashas' which is another grocery store here.

August OSAGE County is the only Meryl Streep movie I have not liked.

NONNA Strega and the rest of the series by Tomie de Paola are favorite books for children.

Interesting crossings of ALEXA/ARIANA/ANTMAN.

Have a beautiful day, everyone!

Misty said...

Neat and clever Monday puzzle, many thanks, Catherine. And your commentary was a pleasure, Sumdaze, thanks for that too.

Well, when the EXES parted to START a new life, they promised to KEEP IN TOUCH.
ERICA took on a job as a DECORATOR which let her ALTER a decor to let each home ENTER a new phase. Her partner decided to join a military TROOP and go to TAHITI to STEER into a new ECO.
But this put his mind IN A FOG and made him WINCE, and he soon feared he would GO MAD and told his company I CAN'T GO ON. He was put in a hospital where he MET ERICA, who was doing some DECORating, and the two joined up again and ENTERed a new relationship era.

Have a great week coming up, everybody.

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

FIR with a couple of edits; never had to reveal any red letters, though (Across Lite)

Catherine always seems to have fun puzzles to solve; sumdaze gave us a very entertaining recap - she is a natural!!

Jinx @ 7:06 --> check out my profile (click on the blue Chairman Moe); I believe I have the same three movies in my top picks

BTW, today is International Haiku Day (seriously!) ... and while I normally reserve my haiku (aka, Moe-ku) for MY recaps, I have this one just for today:

Confucious say, "that
Adding legumes to chili
Is just FULL OF BEANS"

Ol' Man Keith said...

Our sumdaze does a fine job bringing us today's Cetta XWD.

A great selection of illustrations today. I loved the optical illusion for MET.

I laugh at my folly, unable for a while to properly interpret the fill for 12D.
In response to the clue, "Melodramatic cry of exhaustion," I pictured a black-cloaked mustachioed villain screaming, "I CAN'T GOON!"
Ya big GOON!!
~ OMK
_____________
DR:
Just the one diagonal on the far side.
But there might as well be none. The anagram possibilities are severely limited because there is only a single vowel--one "E"--in all 15 letters.
This means that the longest anagram (only 6 of 15 letters!) tells us what any single consonant refuses to do with 8 others.
This is what, for instance, the "T" doesn't do with the "G"...

"BLENDS"!

Anonymous said...

Waseeley, please see my reply to your much appreciated comments yesterday.
Years ago, a very young Yoyo Ma appeared with his sister to perform duets for the LA Philharmonic. I often wondered what happened to her.

Wilbur Charles said...

Taylor's coming to Tampa and the Swifties have deluged hotels etc with prices soaring

Just bought a book about the thwarted 1861 assassination attempt on ABE

GOape/MAD

My HS buddy who preceded me to Nam strongly suggested I not miss Bob Hope. But logistics didn't work

Another happy ending from Misty

Enjoyable all around

WC

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle, which is not surprising because I have liked all of Catherine Cetta's puzzles so far.

Unfortunately, there are still quite a number of Patti-isms today. They are:
Meghan Trainor's "All __ That Bass": ABOUT
"Save Your Tears" singer Grande: ARIANA
"Creations from la cocina" brand: GOYA (Maybe, just maybe, this is not Patti's clue)
"August: __ County": Meryl Streep film: OSAGE
Insect-sized superhero played by Paul Rudd: ANTMAN
"Love & Basketball" actor Omar: EPPS

I also like your write-ups, sumdaze. Thanks for the Yo-yo Ma clip. Supposedly, Saint-Saëns said he hated "The Carnival of the Animals" and only authorized "The Swan" to be performed in public. I can see why he felt that way.

Our son's second wife did not ALTER her name at the altar. Both of them are happy with that arrangement.

I have a feeling Taylor Swift is very difficult to get along with.

ATLGranny, the sentence "Mind how you go" also reminds me of Bill G and of DI Thursday on the PBS show Endeavour. I wish Bill G would post here more often.

My dad used to tell the following "dad joke," which he always laughed at after he told it:
"Ali Baba and his gang ate some BEANS. That's why they were called Ali Baba and the farty thieves."
We kids quickly got tired of hearing it over and over. "Aw, daaaad!"

Good wishes to you all.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

C-Moe - I didn't peek at your answers! I'm Ok thinking like you, but if you think like me it could be troubling. To your shrink.

Interesting that Kroger doesn't carry GOYA products. I buy them at our local Harris Teeter, which is owned by Kroger.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

I just remembered something I learned from the novel "Galileo's Daughter." In those days, music was considered to be a branch of mathematics. I need to re-read that book. I'm sure I have already forgotten a lot of little "by the way" facts.

Chairman Moe said...

Jinx @ 5:21

Here is my list of favorite movies (as copied from my profile): Blazing Saddles, CaddyShack, Animal House, The History of the World, Part I, Sideways, A Good Year, Bottle Shock, Jersey Boys

I last visited with (and spent time with) a shrink back in 2017; all's good!

Also, our local "Kroger" store (Fry's) does carry GOYA; maybe we have more Latinos here (AZ) than you have in VA, perhaps?

Anonymous T said...

C.Moe - How is Life of Brian NOT on your list? Or, anything Python come to think of it...

Jayce - I'm a Dad, so I'll use Ali Baba and the farty thieves.
//Just put that in my Dad-a-Base (thanks CED!)

Cheers, -T

Malodorous Manatee said...

The first and only time that I called a television station to yell at them was when Blazing Saddles premiered on TV. The campfire scene was silent (as if it were mimed). Among many other things that teed me off was that they reversed the "raping cattle and stampeding women" line. That was acceptable but the original version was not!? It was good that I was using my home phone. If I had been on a pay phone I would have needed a sh!t load of dimes.

waseeley said...

OMK @3:58 PM or (beating MOE at his own game) "What some wine geeks prefer to varietals".

waseeley said...

-T @6:57 PM Monty Python is my second favorite. The honors would have to go to Farty Towers, also a Cleese vehicle. Speaking of restaurants, Lenny Henry as Chef might just trump 'em both.

OwenKL said...

(Wiki) Ma's sister, Yeou-Cheng Ma, played the violin and piano before obtaining a medical degree and becoming a pediatrician.

I remember Ariana Grande because a terrorist attack broke up her concert. Paris, IIRC.

Goya is infamous because of President T****'s filming a commercial for them on the Resolute desk in the Oval Office.

Wilbur Charles said...

If it was Taft it must have grainy black and white

Chairman Moe said...

-T @ 6:57 --> believe it or not, I am not that huge of a LOB fan. They're good, don't get me wrong; just not in my top 10

Also, I changed my haiku du jour to this (as a Texan, I'm sure this makes more sense):

A Texan says that
Adding legumes to chili
Is just FULL OF BEANS

waseeley @ 8:37 --> quite true! Many of my favorite wines are BLENDS. FUN FACT: in California, if a wine contains at least 75% of a varietal it can be called by that name. One of my all time favorite CA red wines is by Paloma. Their Merlot always had about 10-20% Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cab added body, tannins, and acidity. Their 2001 release won the Wine Spectator "Wine of the Year" in their Top 100

Anonymous T said...

MManatee - Sh!t load of dimes was not lost on me ;-)

Waseeley - Fawlty Towers was brilliant. We still use "Would you like the hotel moved a bit to the left?" in my family (er, not w/ DW) when you're already busy as hell and someone has a minor nit.
//While DW was out of town, I finally got around to painting the bench/shoe rack I built white (I wanted to stain it). "It's MATTE... I was thinking glossy." I bit my tongue.

OKL - Donno if you watch SNL, but Pete Davidson was dating Ariana for a while. After she broke it off with Pete (and Pete's making fun of Crenshaw), Crenshaw poked back with Grande as his ringtone..

C.Moe - I beg to differ. Probably my #1 comedy. Other than the spaceship scene, LOB is brilliant. It pokes fun at zealots that blindly follow something that the OG* didn't even say! Conjugate the [Latin] verb is LOL.

Cheers, -T
*Original Gangsta / Guy