google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Friday, April 28, 2023, Pam Klawtitter

Advertisements

Apr 28, 2023

Friday, April 28, 2023, Pam Klawtitter

 


Yogi Berra is quoted as having said, "It's deja vu all over again" and this morning that is apropos.  As far as explaining the theme of today's puzzle is concerned, this blogger can (and will) copy the description that he posted two weeks ago

(quote) Good Morning, Cruciverbalists.  Malodorous Manatee here along with He-man to bring you a TGIF recap.  Today, the I's (ayes) Y's (whys) definitely have it with a straightforward theme from veteran puzzle-setter Pam Klawitter.

At the following four places within the grid, Pam has added the letter (I) Y to common words/phrases to create amusing answers to the given clues  (end quote):

18 Across:  Forged painting?: ART DECOY.  Art Deco

23 Across:  When kids start rolling their eyes at everything their parents say?: THE IRONY AGE.  The Iron Age.

40 Across:  School newspaper entries from its youngest reporters?: KINDERGARTEN COPY.


49 Across:  Sign that it's time to clean the closet?: DUSTY JACKET.  Dust Jacket.


The reveal comes at:

63 Across:  "Allow me to explain," and a phonetic hint to this puzzle's theme: HERE'S WHY.  Or, in this instance, H . . . e . . . r . . . e' . . . s  Y.


Here's how all of this looks in the grid:


. . . and Here's the rest of the clues/answers:

Across:


1. __ farm: ANT.  I had one when I was a child.



4. Respond to "Let's give it up for ... ": CLAP.  The clue refers to a colloquialism for soliciting a round of applause.  The answer, or course, also has at least one other meaning.

8. Burro: ASS.
 
11. Bamboozle: CON.  What do you call a female CON artist?  Ms. Leading.

14. Lav: LOO.  Bathroom.  We've often seen this clued with some reference to the British Isles.

15. London jazz duo?: ZEDS.   . . .  (immediately followed by just such a reference).  The last last letter of the alphabet (what we Yanks call Zee) in British English is called ZED.

16. "Shape of You" singer-songwriter: SHEERAN.  Ed SHEERAN.  His third album was the worldwide best seller in 2017.  He is currently being sued for copyright infringement.  The plaintiff is asking $100 million.  In 2022 SHEERAN successfully defended a copyright infringement claim involving "Shape of You".

20. Foul: POLLUTE.  Adjective, noun or verb?  Verb.  . . . and neither an odor nor a basketball reference.

21. Get lovey-dovey: SMOOCH.

22. Post-makeover self: NEW ME.


27. Ink: 
TATS.  Ink being slang for TATtoo.

30. Make hay, maybe: MOW.  As in the advice to "MOW while the sun shines".


31. Country quarters: INNS.  Apparently, quarters as used here, can be plural.

34. Spanish cheer: OLE.

35. Gardener's mixture: LOAM.  I went to the library to get a book about soil but was told that they had only one, unavailable copy.  It was on LOAM.

37. Cuss out: SWEAR AT.

43. "No need to explain further": YES I SEE.  Aha!

44. Broke new ground?: HOED.



45. Spy-fi writer Deighton: LEN.  Author!

46. Turow book: ONE L.  Author!

47. Shar-__: wrinkly dog: PEI.  Not to be confused with the architect.


48. "Anything __?": ELSE.

55. Some pasta: TUBES.  There are many types of pasta and several of those are tubular.  Wait, isn't that surfer slang?



56. James Cameron blockbuster set on Pandora: AVATAR.  Mr. Cameron has directed three of the all-time top five grossing films

60. Critters sought in a Nintendo game: POKEMON.

65. Rust-causing agent: OXIDANT.  Remember this from chemistry class?

66. "Dear __ Hansen": EVAN.  A musical and a film.


67. Energizer size: AAA.  A battery reference.


68. Pea holder: POD.

69. Cartoon frame: CEL.  Pre CGI technology.

70. Bulb unit: WATT.  These days, we purchase LED bulbs with a WATT equivalence.


71. Phisher's fig.: SSN.  Social Security Number.   Phising is the act of sending a false email in an attempt to gather information with which to commit fraud.


Down:

1. "Ah, me!": ALAS.  My experiment of cross breeding a hen with a Slinky has failed.  ALAS, I have no spring chicken.

2. Convention: NORM.

3. "Africa" band: TOTO.



4. Slovak neighbor: CZECH.
5. Dulce de __: LECHE.


6. Fuss: ADO.

7. "Gangnam Style" rapper: PSY.  The video is one of history's most-viewed.

8. Colorado quaker: ASPEN.  As in quaking ASPEN trees.  In the clue, quaker was not capitalized so it wasn't going to be a religious sect.

Populus Tremuloides

9. Like a strutting peacock: SHOWY.  Hand up for PROUD.

10. Title city in a DuVernay film: SELMA.  Ava DuVernay.


11. French wine term: CRU.  The word roughly translates to "growth" but is now used to denote a vineyard and its wines.

12. Muesli grain: OAT.  Sometime today, USPS is scheduled to deliver to me a box containing four bags of Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Muesli.  I do not have Celiac Disease.  I do enjoy eating crunchy things made from rice.

13. Vane dir.: NNE.  North North East

17. Mournful: ELEGIAC.  Same etymology as elegy.


19. Apt rhyme for "spots": 
DOTS.



22. "On the double!": NOW.  Neither ASAP nor STAT would fit.


24. PR concern: IMAGE.  Public Relations.

25. Tomato paste tomato: ROMA.


26. Register: ENROLL.  Noun or verb?  Verb.  As in to register for a class.

27. Pacific Rim capital: TOKYO.  So many from which to choose.  The perps, especially the K and the Y, narrowed things down considerably.

28. Extraterrestrial: ALIEN.  So far, most of our depictions have come from Hollywood.



29. Became edgy: TENSED.

32. Mane areas: NAPES.  A hand up for first trying NECKS.

33. Broadway composer Jule: STYNE.  A member of the Songwriter's Hall of Fame with far too many credits to cite here.  One of his best known:


 
35. "__ Misérables": LES.

36. Underground resource: ORE.  What is a ferrous particle's favorite constellation?  Ore-ion.

37. Poker-faced: STOIC.  The ancient STOICs never got cavities.  They were implacable.

38. Itty-bitty: WEE.

39. Gridiron position: END.  An American Football reference.



41. Watered down: DILUTED.  THINNED would fit.

42. Actress Perlman: RHEA.  Best known for her role as Carla Maria Victoria Angelina Teresa Apollonia Lozupone Tortelli Lebec on the TV show "Cheers":



47. Sack dress?: PJS.  PaJamaS are something to wear when one "hits the sack".

48. "Are we there yet?" guesses: ETAS.  Estimated Time of Arrival S

50. Poison __: SUMAC.

51. Pricey steak: T-BONE.  I asked the butcher for a couple of T-BONEs but he gave me sirloins instead.  He later apologized for his mis-steak.

52. "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" film: YENTL.  The song from the movie.



53. Gold purity unit: KARAT.  I often forget which one is spelled carat (mass) and which is spelled KARAT (purity).

54. Part of a track meet: EVENT.

57. First word of "Jabberwocky": TWAS.  TWAS meant to be a nonsense poem.



58. "Got it!" cries: AHAS.  Yes, I see.

59. "Deadpool" actor Reynolds: RYAN.



60. Burst: POP.  Soda, parent, music, burst and art are among other possible clues.

61. Good Grips kitchen brand: OXO.



62. Tyke: KID.

63. Fell, as firs: HEW.  Homophone of you, yew and ewe.


64. Longoria of "Telenovela": EVA.  I never can keep all of the EVA  and AVA names sorted out.  The perps tell me which it should be.

 . . . .  and now it's time




______________________________________________


44 comments:

OwenKL said...

An ANT and an ASS were having a talk.
"With only four legs, how do you walk?"
Said the ass to such conceit,
"I see that you have six feet.
Tell me how do you keep them in matching socks?"

An ALIEN landed in TOKYO.
He didn't know just where to go.
The LOO was strange,
It broke his brain.
So he went back to Mexico!

{A, B+.}

Subgenius said...

I suppose that, once again, IM will protest about the relative lack of difficulty of this cw puzzle, especially since it comes on a Friday, formerly the (second) toughest day of the week. Even the entry that spanned the entire length of the puzzle (sixteen letters if I counted correctly), i.e. “kindergarten copy,” was pretty much a “gimme,” especially if you had previously sussed the theme, as I had. Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Hand up for PROUD; hand down for NECKS. Let's give it up for the plethora of dad jokes. Loved 'em. D-o caught the theme and even read the reveal clue. Wow. May my luck continue on today's Wordle, Quordle, Waffle, and Spelling Bee. Thanx, Pam -- class, as always. And Mal-Man, corny, as always.

ENDS: Why are the ENDS in the middle of that diagram?

OXO: One of my favorite kitchen brands. They make good stuff.

SWEAR AT: Mark Twain always liked to have a preacher in the audience. He claimed it added zest to his swearing.

desper-otto said...

Ironic that d-o missed the Y on "classy."

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

SG knows me only too well. Friday puzzles just aren’t the same and I guess acceptance of the new format is inevitable, as are the other annoying trends that have prompted so much negative feedback over the last year. On a more pleasant subject, I always enjoy Pam’s work and today’s offering was a fun solve, even though it’s at more of a Wednesday-level difficulty and is brimming with the pesky you-know-whats! I needed perps for Sheeran, Toto, and Yentl and I think my only w/o was Zees/Zeds. I like the word Elegiac and got a kick out of the old-timey Smooch! I don’t think I’ve seen or heard that word in ages.

Thanks, Pam, for an amusing solve and thanks, MalMan, for another fun, rollicking review. I echo DO’s appreciation for the Dad jokes, especially Ms. Leading, A Salt and Battery, and Spring Chicken. You were certainly in fine fettle this morning!

HG, a few minutes ago, I was reminded of your oft-voiced annoyance, which I share, at the overuse and misuse of “Awesome”, by a text from a 27 year old great nephew. He lives in New York City and is home for a few days and, as he often does, asked if he could use my car today for errands. I texted back yes and that he could keep it for however long he’s here. “Awesome, thank you so much” was the reply. What is truly “Awesome” is that I, personally, have not put gas in my car for three years. Every time any family member needs my car, it is returned with a full tank of gas. Just call me Aunt Agnes AKA Aunt Avis 🤣

Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Took 5:47 for me to finish this todayy.

If I may pick a nit, I would've liked this puzzle without the errant "y" in Tokyo/yesIsee.

I didn't know the Broadway composer or "elegiac" (which was suss-able), however ... I knew today's actress (Rhea), although only because she was from a show of yesteryear.

As usual, I agree with our good friend, SubG, on the new lack of difficulty of Friday puzzles. I wish Fridays were a little more difficult, and Saturdays a little less.

KS said...

FIR, but the NE corner was a struggle and the last to fall. Complete unknowns to me were Psy, Leche, elegiac, and Sheeran. Got the theme half way through and it helped with the solve, especially " the irony age".

Irish Miss said...

DO @ 5:54 ~ I recently re-subscribed to The New York Times and have, once again, subjected myself to the frustration of the Spelling Bee. I can never get beyond Genius level, missing a few, or several, additional words to get to Queen. I’m not sure it’s worth the daily angst! I do like Wordle and Phrazle.

ATLGranny said...

Another surprising FIR of Pam's challenging crossword puzzle today. YES I SEE what you did with the theme Pam, and it did help me with the solve. My slowdown was working out ELEGIAC, SHEERAN and AGE at the end of THE IRONY. Oh, the irony....

Thanks, MalMan, for your humorous review with needed information as well. Perps helped me avoid your "proud necks" detours, but I had a couple of slip ups of my own. In spite of that, I enjoyed the puzzle and reading the blog and comments so far.

It's Friday already? Have a good one, everyone!

billocohoes said...

Not sure 'TWAS is really one word, being a contraction of "iT WAS"

I also confuse KARAT with cARAT and finally cAReT (^)

CrossEyedDave said...

Just woke up, and have not done the puzzle yet.
I like to start my day reading last nights late comments, and had to respond to Michael about the hotlink because for years it frustrated the heck out of me because I could only do it on my PC. iPhone and iPad refused to work.

It does not appear that your problem was the same as mine because your fonts seem to be correct. (See explanation below)
So to just review, everything must be in order. I will try to type an exploded view as blogger will think it is a hotlink if I type it correctly:

followed by what you want to call it
will close it. Note that the slash is a "forward" slash. (The one above the "b")

For years and years I could not get the dang thing to work on anything apple. Until I found out that the Apple keyboard font shows the quotation marks (") as little curvy things, when html requires that they be the straight variety. I had to go into the apple setting under keyboard and change it to one that contained the correct style quotation marks.

This does not seem to be your problem though, as you seem to have the right style "
Try the above sequence exactly and see what happens...

Regards,
CED
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LOL!
I see in the preview that you cannot explode the html either, it thinks I am trying to hotlink!
the only way I can show you the correct sequence is here...

Irish Miss said...

Latest text:

Nephew: Are you around for me to pick it up around 9:15/9:30 am?

Me: Yes, that’s fine.

Nephew: Awesome! Will see you in about 15 minutes!

I rest my case! 🙄

Wilbur Charles said...

Messed up on 5A not reading clues correctly. Left the rapper blank and after sussing the theme never went back and added the Y to DECO.

Aaarrrggghhhh!!! While herding the geese to bed last evening I stepped in an ANT colony. Fire ants

Another UNK was second E in SHEERAN. Thus I thought there was a word ruEGIAC/ELEGIAC

Re. SWEARING. A young woman asked: "What's another word for F***K'n?" And…
We bought a parrot that swore up a storm

Ah, my fav author LEN Deighton. I'm convinced that his second Sampson trilogy has the JFK assassination embedded

Makoman, I think of "K"londike for gold

Tampa had EVAn Longoria until his ability caused him to be priced out(traded to SFran)

WC

desper-otto said...

IM, sounds like you've got an awesome nephew.

I refuse to give up on the Spelling Bee until I've reached Genius status. On several occasions I've managed a Queen Bee, but only when there's a low number (35 or fewer) possible words.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A cure for that IRONY AGE?
-My battery-powered tiller has retired my hoe
-The first cousin of those quaking ASPENS is the cottonwood, Nebraska’s state tree
-I knew ELEGIAC, yay me!
-During certain times of the year, we Medicare peeps get inundated via TV, phones and mail to ENROLL in Medicare extended programs. Thanks anyway, Joe Namath.
-Some schools have an athlete that can win four EVENTS by themselves and thus rack up 40 team points
-Is, “I busted the lamp” proper English? I never think of bust as a synonym for broke.
-Thanks Wilbur. I knew the C was for coal which can change to a diamond. Since I knew that, I surmised the answer was Karat today for gold. Your posting today reminded me that the K is for Klondike.
-I loved your “awesome” story, Irish! I hear that word every day from kids and adults at school. “Uh, your chewing gum is not awesome, a sunset in Hawaii is awesome!!”
-On to Wordle.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

"London Jazz duo" crossed with "Gangnam style rapper" was my natick. Typical for a Friday but explains Y I DNF.. Inkovers: penalty/POLLUTE, stern/STOIC,

SHEERAN needed perping. Alls I know is it's not carrot 🥕

Using rhyming clues doesn't make sense especially if spelled the same: spots/DOTS, Kyna like having the clue provide all the answer letters but one.

Almost put barn for "country quarters"

"Cheers" welcome yell....___!!....NORM.
Hoodwinked...DILUTED.
Sheep was in the meadow, cow in the corn but where's the ___?...ASPEN.
Jackman or Downs...HEW
Animal driven cart collison...OXIDANT.

Can't say TGIF..working the weekend.

Great punz MalMan. 😄


CanadianEh! said...

FunnY Friday. Thanks Pam and MalMan.
I FIRed (but wait, I had Sheehan and Chu instead of the R!) and saw the added Y theme.
I didn’t realize 18A was a themer at first.

ASAP and STAT wouldn’t fit but PDQ did.(and would have made us just an F short of a pangram). But plain old NOW was needed.

Pens turned to INNS, as the tourists are quartered, not the animals.
This Canadian smiled at ZEDS, but the “Sack dress?=PJS” was my favourite.

Wishing you all a great day (maybe even awesome!).

Monkey said...

FIR and enjoyed this puzzle. My main problem was that first I had Croat and didn’t know TOTO nor PSY. Once the ZEDS showed up, I was put on the straight path. The reference to Pandora for AVATAR threw me at first because I kept thinking of the music app.

I enjoyed MM’s recap.

Speaking of “awesome” I have encountered many wait staff at restaurants who exclaim “Awesome!” for each dish I select.

Rose said...

Good Morning! Alas, I DNF. But thanks Pam for the challenge.
And thanks, MalMan for the fun recap.
The placement of my unknowns crossing the themers shut me out: PSY, ELEGIAC,TWAS.
WOs: oil -> ORE; filet -> TBONE
One small grouse (but getable) in the cluing – PJs are separates with pants, not a “dress.”
A nightgown (nightie) is a dress. Yes, I know there actually was a “sack dress” in the ‘50’s. Sack wear or sack attire would be a more accurate clue since it was a "gimme" anyway.

CrossEyedDave said...

Finally got it done, but now it's lunchtime.

Sorry for the screwed up splainin' of hotlinks earlier, sometimes it doesn't work for me either...

Loved the Dad jokes!

Today I found out all about Spock's Vulcan salute...

Lucina said...

Hola!

Rose:
In this instance I believe DRESS is a verb: to DRESS for the sack, put on garb for sleep.

Pam A.K. usually gives us some fun and this one fit just fine. ART DECOY is funny as is THE IRONY AGE. Then we have a double nod to the Brits at LOO and ZEDS.

And I see the grid had to be extended to accommodate KINDERGARTEN COPY. Clever!

And speaking of WATT, I have a light in the hallway that hasn't been changed for at least twenty years though it gets constant use(off/on) since the washer and dryer are there.

Thank you, MalMan for the amusing assessment.

IrishMiss, I enjoyed your story about your nephew and the overuse of AWESOME.

OLE! OLE! Have a fabulous Friday, everyone!

Charlie Echo said...

DNF. Done in by the NE corner. Could not get tuned into the correct frequency today. When I was in the Army, "Double time" meant "Faster!" not NOW. 28 down; ALIEN? No! That should be "Undocumented Outer Space Person" these days.

unclefred said...

Got ‘er done, FIR in good time (for me….for a Friday) and enjoyed the CW. Thanx PAK. A few W/Os: I confidently wrote ABBA where TOTO should be (DOH!) which messed up the NW for a while, and had STONY where STOIC needed to be. Also dopey me started to write RITA (Perlman) but got as far as the “T” before the forehead slap. DNK most names, of which there are far too many, or ELEGIAC, a new word for me. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard the word in my 78 years. Still, as I mentioned, a good, fun CW. I got the theme early which was a big help. And MalMan never disappoints with his entertaining and informative write-up. Thanx for all your time and effort, MalMan, it is appreciated. Well, today is the air show here in FLL, completely ruining any chance of an afternoon siesta. The jets frequently fly DIRECTLY over my house at low altitude, with a thunderous roar. I used to enjoy the air show, now I find it a nuisance, I live close to the beach, the air show mostly is over the ocean, so the roads are jammed. I used to stand on my roof to watch it, but the new roof makes it impossible: covered with solar panels. And walking to the beach is just too hot for this old man. Besides which, it is supposed to rain!! And if I DID walk to the beach it would be SRO. Again, too much to stand in 87* for four hours. (Grump, grump!) Later today I’ll go to Big Dog Station (a local dive-bar) for the live music, but that’s not until 5ish. Everyone: have a good weekend.

OwenKL said...

RayO, Hiwayman deprived of his cash DILUTED. (I didn't get hoodwinked)

CED, the left angle bracket < tells the HTML parser that everything following it is non-text until it hits a right angle bracket >. If you want a left angle bracket to appear in your text, you must enter it as &lt; (lt for less than sign) I don't remember what those symbol codes are called. A couple other useful ones are &amp; for & (ampersand), which I had to use just now to write that, and &nbsp; (no break space) for extra spaces that Blogger won't delete, like I used a bunch of in my sonnet today at JumbleHints     like this.

Chairman Moe said...

Puzzling thoughts:

Kudos to my brother from another mother, MM, who regaled us with his repartee

Kudos to Pam for the providing the fodder for MalMan

Today's puzzle (16x15 grid) solved easily (for a Friday); I "got" the "Y", but ended up having to reveal a word in the NE corner; ELIGIAC is not in my lexicon

BTW, I appreciate all of the kind comments regarding my Newsday puzzle that ran yesterday. I'm working on a few more as we speak ... who'd have thought that becoming part of this blogging team would have fueled my interest in crossword puzzle construction?

Misty said...

Fun Friday puzzle, Pam--many thanks. And thanks too for your always helpful commentary, MalMan.

As soon as I saw ANT and ASS, I figured we'd had to deal with some critters today. Well, not too many, but we did get that wrinkly Shar-PEI, and I had to look up POKEMON to make sure it was an animal, but apparently it is. Do any of them hang out around ASPENS, or do they prefer to live in a POD or a CEL? Wish I could see them--I bet they are SHOWY!

Some human activity too, with SMOOCH and SWEAR AT, and ALIEN, and all those kids in the KINDERGARTEN. But my morning's a bit too busy to come up with a story about all day.

So have a great weekend, everybody.

CrossEyedDave said...

&lt

???
(It's not working for me...)

&Lt; <

&<;

Aw nuts, I can't figure this out.

How can I explain to someone to use the caret sign if I can't show it?

<

unclefred said...

After all my grumping about the air show, guess what: a thunderstorm rolled in and the air show is paused! I get my afternoon siesta after all!! I do hope all the people standing in the rain on the beach do eventually get to see the Blue Angels…..but AFTER my siesta!! (How’s that for selfish??)

sumdaze said...

Thanks for your puzzle, Pam, and thanks for your write-up MalMan! I missed the "hit the 'sack'" angle because I was thinking of the sack-style dress. Enjoyed the groaners, too!

Malodorous Manatee said...

Carrot Sign?

sumdaze said...

Lucina. I did see your reply on Wednesday. Thank you. You're fortunate to have such a sensible HOA board.

waseeley said...

Thanks Pam and thanks MalMan, you never fail to amuse. And I'm not sure Y, but I was amused by this puzzle, 'spose cuz I got a FIR.

When we'd ask him Y?, our 8th gr. science teacher would always say "Y is an unscientific question". It wasn't until many years later that I realized that unscientific questions are much harder and much more important than the scientific ones.

Just a few favs:

15A ZEDS. I may be wrong but think I blogged that one MalMan. I recall having to dredge up some stuff on the history of British JaZZ, which wasn't easy, because there wasn't any.

52D YENTL. You stole my thunder on "Papa, Can You Hear Me" Joseph, but I've got something just as good for the repeat.

Cheers,
Bill

Malodorous Manatee said...

Bill, I wanted to use a different Streisand clip but I could not find the one that I wanted. On some long-ago show she went nose to nose with an anteater and crooned the song "We Have So Much In Common".

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

I like that!!...Hoodwinked = Deluded

waseeley said...

MM @3:01 PM A beautiful woman who isn't sensitive a about her "shortcomings" is hard to find. 🙂

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle, constructed by one of my favorite puzzle constructors. Some excellent, clever, humorous cluing. (And some bad cluing, too, which I guess I just have to put up with.)

MalMan, thank you once again for your informative and joyful write-up. I understand what you were getting at when you wrote, "Apparently, quarters as used here, can be plural."

Irish Miss, I love the tales of your borrowed car.

OwenKL, thanks again for the verses.

Husker Gary, I very much enjoy your musings.

I used to wear evening dress for dinner and casual dress the rest of the day. Interestingly what I wear at the pool and in bed are "swim wear" and "sleep wear." Sometimes we called evening dress "evening wear." I like the clue "sack dress."

I agree with Charlie Echo. When I was in the Air Force, and still even to this day, "Double time" meant and still means "Faster!" not NOW. I loved the Wednesday Addams clip!

Good wishes to you all.

OwenKL said...

< CED, looks like you're doing just fine to me.>

CrossEyedDave said...

Hmm,
Maybe it was the a after the caret,
Maybe it was the href...

I have no problem with the caret itself...
<<<<<>>>>>>


<ah, the rabbit holes I dig for myself....>

Wilbur Charles said...

In my 2nd week at OCS I had struggled through the weekly hike and was approaching the finish.
Then they signaledDOUBLE TIME and I started running and…
My legs were jelly, I collapsed. I rose and collapsed again. I repeated this one more time and that was all she wrote.

Dehydration I'm guessing

WC

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR with one erasure, but I don't remember where. I apparently threw away the completed puzzle (with my margin notes) while I was cleaning the RV for departure from Myrtle Beach this morning. I remember thinking that PEI has a different meaning for C-Eh!

Long day of travel down, short day tomorrow.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

I remember "K" because of misspending much of my ute watching Cincinnati Reds games on TV. Hudepohl was a major sponsor, and I can still hear the jingle and see the lyrics as they appeared on TV, with a bat image used as a pointer as the lyrics to the jingle scrolled down the screen:
"When a beer would taste good, have a Hudepohl....Cold and golden flavor any time of day, Have a Hudepohl 14K." The 14K referred to a gold medal the beer supposedly won. Somehow, "baseball beer" winning and award has always been a bit suspect to me.

Wilbur Charles said...

Jinx, was that when Cinci fans stuffed the Allstar ballot box and all 8 position players were Reds? Including Ray Jablonski* and Wally Post

WC

* I loved that name. He got traded to SanFran

Michael said...

After yesterday’s reference to the Moody Blues, another song of theirs is apropos for this blog: this old friend of mine.

Michael said...

CED @ 8:27 and more: Thank you for the help ... after another 20 minutes of fiddling tonight, I think it might be working now. Clearly, HTML is one of those pains which -- if successful -- makes you want to yell out, "It's alive!!"