google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday June 11, 2023 Trent H. Evans

Advertisements

Jun 11, 2023

Sunday June 11, 2023 Trent H. Evans

Theme: "Let's Do This!" - DO is added to each familiar phrase.

23A. Finally send off that alumni check?: FACE THE DONATION. Face the Nation.

40A. Bulletin forbidding residents from camping in the complex's shared spaces?: CONDO TENT WARNING. Content warning.

57A. Bedtime message for Raggedy Ann?: AND TO A DOLL A GOODNIGHT. And to all a good night.

82A. Salon job for a sunrise wedding?: UPDO AT THE CRACK OF DAWN. Up at the crack of dawn.

99A. Accusations of cheating at the Kennel Club agility competition?: DOG RACE UNDER FIRE. Grace under fire.

119A. Catchphrase for Earth lovers?: WE ADORE THE WORLD. We Are the World.

Three are standard insertions, the other three (40A, 57A and 99A) all change the original one-word into two words. Very imaginative.

Only six themers, but they're all very long, total 102 squares. Standard for our Sunday grid.

Across:

1. Boat launch aid: RAMP.

5. NYC neighborhood with luxury boutiques: SOHO. In Lower Manhattan.

9. Bloviate: RANT.

13. Top-shelf: PRIMO. Miso Master has the best white miso paste.

18. Qatari monarch: EMIR.

19. Black suit: CLUBS.

21. Beginning of a conclusion: ERGO.

22. Prepared to putt: AIMED.

26. Liechtenstein border river: RHINE. 74. Mountains where the 26-Across rises: ALPS.

27. Ahi tuna cut: STEAK.

28. "Beowulf" translator Heaney: SEAMUS. Learning moment for me.



29. Cruise stops: ISLANDS.

31. Vodka drink, briefly: COSMO.

34. Glass sheets: PANES.

36. Immeasurably long time: EON.

37. Quick bite: NOSH. My mouth is watering just looking at these sesame balls.


46. Org. concerned with climate adaptation: EPA.

47. Wine label word: CRU.

48. Oklahoma city: ENID.

49. Wormlike fish: EEL.

50. Taylor-Joy of "Emma": ANYA.

51. Scully in Dodger Stadium's street address: VIN. Vin Scully Avenue. Steve was there last month.


52. Natural dye: HENNA.

54. Be stealthy: SNEAK.

56. Collectible for an animation buff: CEL.

63. Letter opener: DEAR.

64. Umami enhancer, briefly: MSG.

65. Podcaster Klein: EZRA. I was a listener for a while.



66. Lead the cast: STAR.

67. Compose on the fly: AD LIB.

69. Snarky critic: HATER.

70. Tostitos dip: SALSA.

77. "Got it": I SEE.

78. Mobile platform since 2007: IOS.

81. Twelve: NOON.

87. "OMG, enough!": TMI.

88. Spanish "Of course": CLARO. Another learning moment.

89. Jeff's wife on "Curb Your Enthusiasm": SUSIE.

90. E'en if: THO.

91. Dating word: ANNO. Carbon dating.

93. Previously: AGO.

94. Mario Andretti's twin brother: ALDO.



97. Coffee server: URN.

98. __ fever: HAY.

103. Pickleball barriers: NETS.

104. Expected: DUE.

105. Crib bear: TEDDY.

106. Attention-starved: NEEDY.

108. Fashion designer Paloma: PICASSO. Daughter of Pablo Picasso.


112. Bernadette of "Mozart in the Jungle": PETERS.


114. Many a song played at a class reunion: OLDIE.

118. Actor Elba who DJs as DJ Big Driis: IDRIS.

123. Téa of "Spanglish": LEONI.

124. "__ & Stitch": LILO.

125. Appears to be: SEEMS.

126. Curiosity org.: NASA.

127. Come to an end, in a way: LAPSE.

128. Beyoncé's "Brown __ Girl": SKIN.

129. Genre for BTS and Blackpink: K POP. Blackpink is hugely popular in Asia.


130. Went for a dip: SWAM.

Down:

1. Some whistle blowers: REFS.

2. Part of a Latin trio: AMAT.

3. Furry scurriers: MICE.

4. "Amen!": PREACH.

5. TCU or UGA: SCH.

6. Fútbol cheer: OLE.

7. "Sully" river: HUDSON. The movie is subtitled "Miracle on the Hudson",


8. Bassoon kin: OBOE.

9. Adjusted a trumpet slide again, say: RE-TUNED.

10. Out of bed: ARISEN.

11. The Carter Center, e.g., briefly: NGO.

12. Actress Collette: TONI.

13. __ trick: PARLOR.

14. 2023 Super Bowl halftime performer: RIHANNA.

15. "You've got my support!": I'M IN. Here's Big Easy (George), my #3 fan.


16. Patch up: MEND.

17. Artistic tributes: ODES.

20. Like some Tupperware lids: SNAP ON.

24. Ring decision, briefly: TKO. Boxing ring.

25. Prized violin: AMATI.

30. Deck application: SEALANT.

32. Real riot: SCREAM.

33. Small hills: MOUNDS.

35. Broadcast captioner, for short: STENO.

37. Driest U.S. state: NEVADA. I can't imagine living there in the summer. So hot.

38. Shared views: OPINED. Also 109. Think piece?: IDEA.

39. Teva product: SANDAL.



41. "Sold!": DEAL.

42. Green invaders: WEEDS.

43. Give : __ :: take : mile: INCH.

44. No, to Nabokov: NYET.

45. Miss: GAL.

47. Comic Margaret: CHO. Her parents are from South Korea. Look at her tattoos.



53. Eggy drink: NOG.

54. Skyrocket: SOAR.

55. Some Korean cars: KIAS.

58. Simple chord: TRIAD.

59. Rental contract: LEASE.

60. Native Mexican: AZTEC.

61. Oscar winner Garson: GREER. She won an Oscar for "Mrs. Miniver".



62. Thou: GRAND.

68. Like-minded group: BLOC.

69. Kermit's greeting: HI HO.

71. Abhor: LOATHE.

72. "Yeah, and?": SO WHAT. And 79. "If you say so": OK SURE.82. "Uh, I doubt that": UM NO.

73. Pesters: ANNOYS.

75. Royal digs: PALACES. The Forbidden City.


76. Thespian's domain: STAGE.

78. Hosp. area: ICU.

80. Evening affair: SOIREE.

83. __-pong: PING.

84. Fly-fishing target, perhaps: TROUT.

85. Starting on: AS OF.

86. Marshy area: FEN.

87. Bit: TAD.

92. Makes a minister: ORDAINS.

94. Constructed a new wing, say: ADDED ON.

95. Brought about: LED TO.

96. Laundromat array: DRYERS. Our neighbor's house caught fire a few months ago because they did not clean the lint trap. 

 100. "G'day!" sayer: AUSSIE.

101. Kathmandu native: NEPALI.

102. Synchronized, like a marching band: INSTEP.

103. Stockings: NYLONS.

107. __ Jones: DOW.

108. Tablet: PILL.

110. Cut down to size: CROP.

111. Birds capable of 270° head turns: OWLS.

113. Raise a big stink?: REEK. And 115. Make faces, say: DRAW. I like both clues.

116. To whom Rick says, "We'll always have Paris": ILSA.

117. Dutch cheese: EDAM.

120. Apt. feature, in ads: EIK. Eat-In Kitchen.

121. Med. plan option: HMO.

122. Psychic ability: ESP.

Thank you to the 110+ of you who bought my book. It's fun for me to go to my Amazon Author Central and look at the stats. Can I ask you to leave a review? Good or bad. Thank you so much for supporting me! I just wish Boomer could see this.





41 comments:

PK said...

C.C. I got your Sip & Solve book yesterday and enjoyed six puzzles before my eyes gave out. Love it but wish the print was bigger on the page. Thanks also for your blog today. Liked Trent's puzzle today, too, thanks.

Subgenius said...

This puzzle wasn’t terribly difficult to solve. I just looked for the common phrase that was being referenced, then inserted the “do” to get the clever, punny themed answers. And the answers that weren’t part of the theme weren’t hard to get , either . FIR , so I’m happy .

OwenKL said...

There was a POP SINGER, RIHANNA,
Who got some tattoos done in HENNA.
They gave her BROWN SKIN
Till the DYE grew thin,
And to renew them was her dilemma!

As an artist, ALDO had an ego.
He doted on new challenges, ERGO,
He used little toys
To emulate breakfast joys:
That's how he came to Lego my Eggo!

{A,-,A.}

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Redemption, after yesterday's debacle. This one was a top-to-bottom Sunday drive on cruise control. No Wite-Out required. Thanx, Trent and C.C. (I needed that EIK explanation.)

KS said...

FIR, but almost didn't. I couldn't remember whether it was Lalo or Lilo, and suddenly 120D came to me as EIK, eat in kitchen. Phew, that was close!
Loved the theme and once I saw it half way along the puzzle just sort of came together. An enjoyable Sunday endeavor.

Monkey said...

Very friendly puzzle.I saw the theme on the first fill so I had fun figuring out the next ones. Unbelievably few unknown names, and those I easily guessed. My only bump on the road was, like KS, LILO or Lalo. I chose right not knowing what EIK stood for.

I’m so happy for CC’s success.

ATLGranny said...

Fun and easy puzzle today, a big change from yesterday. FIR. My slow area was parsing WE ADORE THE WORLD after seeing Sha(do)re the world wouldn't work, thanks to OWLS. Favorite clues were Green invaders, Twelve, and Thou. Thanks Trent!

Thanks C.C. for reviewing the puzzle answers and adding interesting tidbits to them. Very helpful, but I still don't see why PREACH is the fill for "amen" other than the church connection. I think of "agreed" or "so be it." Anyone?

Hand up for seeing better after cataract surgery. I had my first eye done Tuesday and look forward to the second. I didn't realize how bad my eyes had gradually gotten!

DO have a fantastic day!

waseeley said...

Thank you Trent. Good to see you back. When I was done I wasn't sure whether I'd FIW or FIR. I saw the theme right away, but unDOing the DO from 119A resulted in a phrase that I couldn't make any sense out of. Thus it was with some trepidation that I came here ...

... and thanks to CC for showing me that WEARE could be parsed into WE ARE. DOH! FIR! p.s. we've bought three of your Sip & Solves so far. My 8 year old grandson got ahold of one and wanted to solve it, so I stepped through it with him, explaining each of the clues and helping him with the speling. I think he's hooked. We bought him a puzzle book for his age level, but I'm sure that before long he'll be solving Sip & Solves all by himself. It's in his blood!

A few favs:

110A PETERS. I've heard of "Mozart in the Jungle", but didn't understand all buzz about it, so I looked it up. Sound's like a version of Otto von Bismark's version "anyone who likes sausage and [insert something], should never see either being made". My appetite has been wet and I'm going to take a look.

9D RE-TUNED. Am I the first to notice that TRUMPETS have valves and TROMBONES have slides?

Cheers,
Bill

Big Easy said...

After yesterday's bust it felt good to FIR this morning. I noticed the added DO at FACE THE (DO)NATION. (I don't watch those self-important Sunday interview shows.) It took a V8 moment for me to fill CLUBS and HUDSON, my last two fills. Wasn't thinking about cards or a plane 'water landing' (aka crash) and didn't know SEAMUS.

The rest was smooth sailing with perps and WAGS filling the unknowns. RHINE, ANYA, EZRA, CLARO, SUSIE, ALDO, PICASSO, K POP, TONI, and a fill I'd never heard or seen-EIK for Eat In Kitchen. Who uses a dining room it it's not Xmas or Thanksgiving? Not me.

PREACH- why does it go with Amen? I don't get it.
RE-TUNED- I used Vaseline on my Trumpet for tuning.

RIHANNA- I never watch the half-time shows. That's Miller Time and time to try to eat at least some of the foods that people bring to the party. I try to convince DW to only fix enough for THREE people of whatever she brings. Everybody doesn't eat a full helping of every food. She won't listen and whoever hosts the party gets stuck with a ton of wasted food.

With Bernadette, PETERS was my first thought; don't know about the Mozart clue.
IDRIS- with the Elba clue it's either him or Napoleon.
SANDAL- When I see Teva I always think drugs as Teva was one of my largest suppliers of generic pharmaceuticals.
SNAP ON- I still use some Tupperware that is over 50 years old.

C.C.- I would have fixed my hair if I'd known you were going to publish my photo. Congratulations.

Waseeley- Trumpets have BOTH valves and tuning slides. The band has to tune it to the OBOE which has no adjustable parts to tune..

CrossEyedDave said...

A few learning moments, I had trouble parsing the dog show themer until I read it several times.

Speaking of parsing, thank you for the Big Easy picture. All this time I thought you were swilling a smaller crossword book in a coffee cup!

( hmm, swilling is a autocorrect typo. It should say selling... but it's too good a Joke to correct it...)

Anywho, I'm broke, so I have not ordered your book yet, but it gave me an idea! I texted the whole family and said if you are stuck on what to get me for Father's Day, I want this new book from out fearless leader!
Another learning moment, sip and solve is a series by multiple authors? ( I had no idea...)

Another learning moment was in todays parade magazine about Ed Sullivan 75 anniversary, he claims he discovered Bernadette peters in a Greenwich village coffee house!


Anywho, who, I'm hoping the family will get my hint about Father's Day present...

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-A very enjoyable 102 squares
-The RHINE rises in the ALPS? Water does not flow uphill.
-VIN never had a “color man”. He filled the airwaves with his decades of experience.
-A movie STAR must be “bankable”.
-SUSIE was foul-mouthed and always angry.
-Shouts from the dugout for a batter who is 0 for 6, “C’mon, you’re DUE!”
-Those “90 days for $1” offers don’t automatically LAPSE. You have to remember to cancel them.
-AS OF next month, we will save time and aggravation driving to and from Lincoln when our SE Bypass opens.
-Trumpet slides. Who knew?

Charlie Echo said...

Whew! A FIR that was a lot of fun. The pop culture obscurities were thankfully few, and perped or WAGged nicely. Clues were mostly clever, with a couple of exceptions. AMEN for Preach? For PRAYER, maybe. MISS for GAL? Can't a MRS be a gal too? All in all, a pleasant way to spend some time, with a nicely guided tour from CC for dessert.

Monkey said...

I too wondered about PREACH for amen. I hope one of you smart people will have an explanation.

Anonymous said...

Very enjoyable puzzle! Thank you, Trent. Clues made sense, unlike many of yesterday’s clues.

Wendybird said...

This puzzle was so very enjoyable. The themers were clver and fun, and the fill was (mostly) interesting and “sparkling” to quote I.M. Like others, I do question PREACH - can someone ‘splain? Also, I don’t get STENO - ??
I did FIR but had a scare at the very end, not knowing EIK and not remembering if it was Lalo or LILO- WAG to the rescue.

Thanks, Trent, for the Sunday treat, and thanks as always, CC, for the tour. As a follow-up to your Sip and Solve book, a recipe book with all the delicious delicasies you’ve shown us would be a smash!



Yellowrocks said...


I have heard today's
usage of PREACH IT:

"Preach - to encourage someone to continue with his or her impassioned rant.

person A:"I prefer diet coke over regular coke"

person B:"preach it!"

It means AMEN, I agree.

"preach technically means to give a speech about religion in a church. But nowadays people use it as a slang word. Like if someone speaks the truth or if you agree with their opinion, the second person would say PREACH IT."

.

waseeley said...

BE @10:39 AM & Husker @11:16 Thanks for that George & Gary. DNK that a trumpet has slides. Apparently the trombone gets by with only one. What a great place this is!

desper-otto said...

Waseeley, I don't think they're moved while playing -- you tweak 'em to get the trumpet in tune, and then leave 'em alone.

waseeley said...

D-O @1:15 PM Yes. Only during orchestra tune-up do you tweak it to get it in tune with the OBOE

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but it took me two states. Started this morning in NC, and finished this afternoon in VA. I had intended to return home tomorrow, but the weather is great today and iffy tomorrow.

Erased nee for AGO, seti for NASA, eyed for SKIN, hihi for HIHO, and soirre for SOIREE (I can misspel in Fwrench too).

I thought that Bouncy was covering that great Van Morrison hit, but nooo.

Hand up for leaving the TV during Super Bowl halftime.

Remember that Click & Clack's hospital had a facility donated by the famous skier Street? They called it the Picabo ICU.

I noticed that we had VIN and CRU today. I think I picked wrong week to give up drinking.

Hater's gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate. My advice? Shake it off.

Thanks to Trent for the easy-for-Sunday treat, and to CC for the guided tour.

Misty said...

Fun Sunday puzzle, a real pleasure, many thanks, Trent. And C.C., I'm still enjoying making my way through your wonderful, delightful book, but will hurry and get it done this week, and then figure out how to get to your Amazon page. Am loving it, and thanks once again for this treat.

Not sure I'd ever want to join a CLUB with some EMIR at the CRACK OF DAWN. Think I'd rather put on some SANDALS and go to NEVADA and join a SOIREE to have a NOSH and a STEAK with SALSA, and a drink of COSMO and an AMATI to listen to in the PARLOR. That would be fun and end up with me wishing everyone to have A GOOD NIGHT.

Meanwhile, have a good Sunday, everybody.

Kelly Clark said...

From the title to the theme entries to the fill to the clues, Dr. Trent gave me a real treat...and C.C.'s exposition is, as always, superb. (And hey, C.C.? Boomer can see it!)

ATLGranny said...

Thanks Yellow rocks at 1:02 PM for explaining the connection of "amen" to PREACH!

Anonymous said...

I'm not getting how 'finally send off' becomes 'face' in 23A? :-(

Misty said...

Sorry to have to leave this page blank.

inanehiker said...

Amusing theme with some groaners , but a smooth and steady solve.

When we went to a church on Chicago's West Side that was interracial in the '80s - I was introduced to what I call "the interactive sermon", after my upbringing among the frozen chosen. As the preacher was getting into his main points, the congregation would urge him on in his message with "Amen", "Preach", and "Word" (meaning he was receiving a word from the Lord)

I had PRIME and EARS before perps changed it to PRIMO and ODES - because I first saw the 12D clue as Artists' attributes instead of tributes- DOH!
Hard to believe that Bernadette Peters is 75 years old - I just saw her on Carol Burnett's 90th birthday Special- that is longevity!

I just finished reading an historical fiction book by Vanessa Hua called "Forbidden City" which was set in the 1960s in China about a teenage girl who is sent from her village to the Lake PALACEs where Mao lived, rather than the actual Forbidden City that you can visit where the Emperors lived.
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/58621983
I've liked both works I've read by this author - the other being "A River of Stars" which is set in California Chinatowns.

Thanks CC and Trent for a fun afternoon

Acesaroundagain said...

Really loved this puzzle. Very creative and humorous. I think I'll "sip and solve" some crosswords "and to a doll a good night"! GC

Wendybird said...

Thanks YR for PREACH explanation - my current culture knowledge continues to expand - hope it sticks.

ATLGranny said...

Anon @ 2:23 PM, my take on that was the alumni had been putting off writing a check for the donation and finally "faced" up to the need to get it done. Of course as the today's theme works, the expression refers to the show Face the Nation as C.C. said.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that.

I think I would go crazy if I didn't have the Corner to come to for clarifications. :-)

Monkey said...

Thank you YR for the PREACH explanation, it kind of makes sense, but one has to try really hard to make the connection as clued.

sumdaze said...

Thank you, Trent for an enjoyable solve! I started in the NW with ROPE. Things weren't working out there so I finished the rest of the puzzle. Then I cleared out the NW and started fresh. It all made sense the second time.
FAVs: Black suit; Beginning of a conclusion; Green invaders; and Make faces, say. My favorite themer is AND TO A DOLL A GOOD NIGHT

BE@10:39. I knew the oboe set the note for the orchestra to tune but I did not know why. Very interesting. Thank you!
Speaking of oboes, one of the main characters in "Mozart in the Jungle" is a young oboe player. weseeley@10:16. I will be curious to know if you like the show. I liked the cello player. Also, I thought the show got better as it went on. There are 4 seasons.

C.C. Thank you for your write up and for explaining EIK. Also, fresh, warm sesame balls are the best! I like the ones with red bean paste filling. DH and I usually eat them all as we are unpacking the take-a-way containers. They are gone before we even sit at the table.

Lucina said...

Hola!

This has been a celebratory weekend for family and friends. Yesterday 18 members of my family met for birthday wishes for one of the younger (age 34) members. It was an interesting setting at a restaurant/bar in downtown Phoenix where I hardly ever go and it has changed so much I barely recognized it. For anyone who lives locally it's the BREW HAUS on Central Avenue. Very hip and youth oriented.

Then today I took one of my very good friends to breakfast whose party I missed yesterday because of the above mentioned party. She is the one with whom I carpool and go everywhere together. We had agreed not to give each other gifts but who pays attention to that notion! I gave her C.C's puzzle book as one of the gifts along with a book to read.

As for AMEN and PREACH I see only a tenuous relationship there but then in my church no one bursts out AT ANY TIME. In fact, we have been forbidden to applaud the choir which we had done for many decades but our pastor prefers solemnity over expressing enthusiasm.

The puzzle took the usual amount of time for Sunday and I have nothing to RANT about only that IDRIS Elba was there! And I learned how to spell RIHANNA. Also, I had no idea that Mario Andretti had a twin brother.

I hope you are all enjoying a fabulous Sunday!

Grumpy Granny said...

Very busy week so I looked forward for a relaxing Sunday puzzle afternoon...no such luck! Silly theme and def's. Finally got 95% of the fills. But such silliness as "UPDO AT THE CRACK OF DAWN" seems to me as a slap at our intelligence!

OwenKL said...

Okay you geniuses. How do I play https://xkcd.com/2765/ ? Can it be done on a cellphone, or do I need a computer?

Wilbur Charles said...

FIR but late to the party cuz I was glued to the Canadian Open and all four extra holes.
What a climax

I echo D-Otto "(I needed that EIK explanation.)"

I only got the theme after filling all 100+ squares. Perps were fair as were limited pop-cul. I ?'ed PICASSO as clued until CC pointed out it was his daughter

Lucina re. That new Pastor…
Half the Church progresses; the other half regreses. I remember when they banned yoga and Reiki while nuns were using the latter (successfully) in hospitals

Usual Sunday experience. SW had white until CROP and PILL dropped(I had inked trim)

WC

waseeley said...

OKL @9:0& PM Looks like it works on a cellphone, but I'm not a gamer so I can't tell you how to play it.

Lucina said...

I was glued to the TONY Awards and really hope I can travel to New York and watch one or two of those plays. Live theater is amazing! We have some great talent locally and I enjoy those, too, at a couple of theaters, the Hale in Chandler the Phoenix Theater, as well.

Anonymous said...

IIRC Bill, trumpets have a small slide to allow it to be tuned to other instruments
====> Darren / L.A.

Anonymous said...

Hi T.N. — I noticed that AMEN was in quotes, as in saying “Amen!”…which in some pop culture stuff some hipsters may reply “Preach!” in agreement.
Hope that clears it up 😎
====> Darren / L.A.

Anonymous said...

(Guess I should read ALL of the blog before posting replies…sorry!)

Really enjoyed this Sunday hit parade — not too many proper names and a fun theme. Only head-scratcher was EIK; must be an East Coast thing, as I’ve not seen it in rental listings here in Smogopolis…

====> Darren / L.A.