google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday June 18, 2023 ~ Susy Christiansen & Doug Peterson

Advertisements

Jun 18, 2023

Sunday June 18, 2023 ~ Susy Christiansen & Doug Peterson

Human Resources


Happy Father's Day!

Today, Susy & Doug offer a simple theme with "in the language" phrases where the second word of each phrase is a body part.

23a. *Witch's dialect?: WICKED TONGUE.

39a. *Snowman's joint?: COLD SHOULDER.

44a. *Rocket scientist's trap?: SMART MOUTH.

66a. *Baker's digits?: BUTTER FINGERS.

87a. *Gingerbread man's chomper?: SWEET TOOTH.

92a. *Soda jerk's noggin?: FOUNTAIN HEAD. Fountain Head is a book by Ayn Rand.

15d. *Smurf's plasma?: BLUE BLOOD.

77d. *Comic's humerus?: FUNNY BONE.

112a. Nonverbal communication, and what can be found in the answers to the starred clues?: BODY LANGUAGE.

Let's see what else we can get our hands on...

Across:
1. Puff up: BLOAT.

6. Brief survey: APERCU. (?) 1: a brief survey or sketch : outline 2: an immediate impression; especially : an intuitive insight.

12. Gestation location: WOMB.

16. Printer spec.: DPI. Dots Per Inch

19. Word of thanks: MERCI. French.

20. Holy scrolls: TORAHS.

21. Former sea in Central Asia: ARAL.

22. Geologic age: EON.

23. [see: theme]

25. French Calvinist of the 16th and 17th centuries: HUGUENOT.

27. Fed. benefits agency: SSA. Social Security Administration.

28. Unfreeze, as a plane's wing: DE-ICE.

29. Avian crop: CRAW.

31. Kid-lit character who says, "It's not much of a tail, but I'm sort of attached to it": EEYORE.
 
EEYORE

32. Jazz drummer Max: ROACH. One of two leading drummers of the bebop era.

33. Slopes headgear: SKI CAP.

35. __ nut chewing: BETEL. Betel nutis the seed of an areca palm that grows in tropical parts of the Pacific, Asia and eastern Africa. It is chewed, usually in combination with other substances like tobacco, and is said to have both stimulant and relaxation effects. (wikiP)

36. Insect appendage: ANTENNA.

39. [see: theme]

41. Chimney residue: SOOT.

42. Organ array: PIPES.

43. Psych 101 topic: EGO.

44. [see: theme]

48. Accepted doctrine: ORTHODOXY.

54. Unfavorable renown: NOTORIETY.

55. Bill of fare: MENU.

57. Messing of "Will & Grace": DEBRA.

58. Breaks a commandment: SINS.

59. "Hamilton" creator: MIRANDA. Lin-Manuel Miranda.

62. Teller of tall tales: LIAR.

63. Umami source, briefly: MSG. Monosodium glutamate.

66. [see: theme]

70. "Danny and the Dinosaur" writer Hoff: SYD.
 
You remember this?

71. "Woe is me!": ALAS.

73. Marine creatures: SEA LIFE.

74. Greek campus group: FRAT.

76. Ariz. neighbor: CALIF. Arizona & California.

78. Smooch: KISS.

79. Sneaker strings: SHOE LACES.

84. Withdraws to safety: EVACUATES.

87. [see: theme]

88. Ultimate degree: NTH.

89. Preadolescent: TWEEN.

91. Actress Skye: IONE.

92. [see: theme]

97. Feline grooming sites: CATSPAS.

100. Outfielder Ramirez who won two World Series with the Red Sox: MANNY.
 
Manny Ramirez

101. Offend: INSULT.

102. Wine grape: PINOT.

103. Game-enhancing toy by Nintendo: AMIIBO. These are little figurines that can interact with video games. WikiP.

105. Traffic blocker?: NARC. Cute.

106. BLT part: BACON. BACON, Lettuce, and Tomato.
 
Yum!

107. Golfer's goal: PAR.

110. Oscar-winning film featuring a bunny named Judy Hopps: ZOOTOPIA.
 

Trailer

112. [see theme]

115. Pressure for payment: DUN.

116. Fit together neatly: NEST.

117. Hammed it up: EMOTED.

118. Crèche figure: ANGEL. Crèche == Nativity Scene.

119. Crèche figure: ASS.

120. Salinger title heroine: ESME.
 


121. L.A. suburb mentioned in Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'": RESEDA. At 0:48
 

Tom Petty

Down:
1. Some autobahn autos: BMWs.

2. Luau wreaths: LEIS.

3. Killer whale: ORCA.

4. "Yikes!": ACK.

5. Secured, in a way: TIED ON. I had TIED up.

6. Aegean region that includes Athens: ATTICA. Attica is an administrative region in Greece.

7. Doggie: POOCH. Pup.

8. Fish-eating bird: ERNE.

9. Dust cloth: RAG.

10. Laugh: CHUCKLE.

11. Login handles: USER IDS.

12. "Sad trombone" sound: WAH WAH. Anyone else listen to Market Place on NPR? When the market is down for the day, Kia will play the "Wah Wah trombones." He got corrected.

13. Christian sch. in Tulsa: ORU. Oral Roberts University.

14. 2023 Kentucky Derby winner: MAGE.
 

Mage breaks out

15. [see: theme]

16. Mean: DENOTE.

17. Not as prosperous: POORER.

18. Recon acquisition: INTEL. Reconnaissance : Intelligence.

24. Official at Oberlin, e.g.: DEAN.

26. Gave the once-over: EYED.

30. Runners in hot weather: Abbr.: ACS. Air Conditioners run when it's hot out.

32. Auxiliary rockets, for short: RETROS.

33. JV player, perhaps: SOPH. Sophomores play Junior Varsity level.

34. Verse writer: POET.

36. Focused gp.: ASSN. Association.

37. 1995 NL Rookie of the Year Hideo: NOMO. Pitcher from Japan.
 
Hideo Nomo

38. Perfectly: TO A T.

39. Map dot: CITY.

40. "That's just nasty": UGH.

42. "To __ it mildly!": PUT.

45. Chi-Town daily, with "the": TRIB. The Chicago Tribune.

46. Calculator button: MINUS.

47. Left, on un mapa: OESTE. Spanish for West.

48. __ annual basis: ON AN.

49. Ladder step: RUNG.

50. Argentine tennis player Juan Martín __ Potro: DEL.
 
Retired February, 2023.

51. Silk ties: OBIS.

52. __ vision: XRAY.

53. Cloth measure: YARD.

55. Annoys a little: MIFFS.

56. Empire State canal: ERIE.

59. Diagnostic pics: MRIS.

60. "Moll Flanders" author: DEFOE. Daniel Defoe (1660 to 1731) also wrote Robinson Crusoe.

61. Stop, in Strasbourg: ARRET. French for "stop."

63. Nutmeg spice: MACE.

64. Balkan native: SLAV.

65. Glitzy gathering: GALA.

67. Make off with: TAKE.

68. New Haven alumni: ELIs. Yale graduates.

69. Tots seasoning: SALT. Tater-tots, not tykes.

72. [Not my mistake]: SIC.

75. Disciple of Laotzu: TAOIST.

77. [see: theme]

79. Scand. nation: SWED.

80. 81-Down resident: HEN.

81. Structure with layers?: COOP. Is it also a co-op in there?

82. Italian rumbler: ETNA.

83. Billy Joel's "__ Got a Way": SHES.
 

Billy Joel

85. NFL stat: ATT. Attempt in football.

86. Asian cuisine with drunken noodles and massaman curry: THAI.

87. Boarding pass information: SEAT.

89. Walter Mitty creator James: THURBER.

90. Greet warmly: WELCOME.

92. Widely known: FAMOUS. There's an Amos that's Famous for cookies.

93. Kitchen bulbs: ONIONS. Cute.

94. Military group: UNIT.

95. Not learned: INNATE.

96. Wiretapping org.: NSA. National Security Agency.

97. Insect that resembles a locust: CICADA.

98. Soon, poetically: ANON.

99. Citizen of a Polynesian archipelago: TONGAN.

100. Miata maker: MAZDA. Zoom, Zoom, Zoom.

102. Grew ashen: PALED.

104. "See how the morning __ her golden gates": Shakespeare: OPES.

106. Mega- or giga- ending: BYTE.

107. Leaf (through): PAGE.

108. On in years: AGED.

109. Depend (on): RELY.

111. Doctrine suffix: ISM.

113. Tijuana pair: DOS. Spanish for two.

114. French article: UNE.

The Grid

WOs: TIED up, SKI hat, sICADA
ESPs: APERCU, SYD, HUGUENOT AMIIBO
Fav: NARC's clue

Hope you all had fun and enjoy the day ahead.

Cheers!, -T

28 comments:

Subgenius said...

I certainly have never heard of the Nintendo toy (which I won’t attempt to reproduce here in order not to give autocorrect fits) and there were at least two or three other words I didn’t know. But the perps were kind. As for the themed answers; they were all well-known phrases. I don’t have too much else to say about this puzzle, other than that it was a lot like fun to solve. FIR, so I’m happy.

SwenglishMom said...

yes, very fun! Liked it very much.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Subgenius nailed it. Good thing I didn't notice AMIIBO on my way through the grid. I would've changed things for the worse. Hand up for trying TIED UP first. Cute theme, well executed. Thanx for sitting in Dash-T.

ACS: I'm surprised Tony didn't mention our string of 100°+ days. My repair guy warned me last fall that my A/C likely won't make it through this year. Naturally, I did nothing about it. If it fails this summer, I'll be sorry.

ANGEL: Don't remember seeing an angel in the neighborhood activity scenes. Perhaps that's why I failed my crèche course.

Anthony Gael Moral said...

I wonder if ASS could have been clued in a more respectful way than as part of a creche, which some feel is holy.

OwenKL said...

To see inside bodies, Superman
Has X-RAY vision that can scan.
But if, from his eyes
He shot M.R.I.'S
He'd be better known as Assultman!

Trevor went on a SPREE and tied one on!
He was TIED ON a box of Tide on the dawn.
But he turned LIFE around
And stopped being a clown.
As a fashion designer, he's now the Tie Don!

KS said...

FIR. Wanted tied up before tied on and threw down ski hat before ski cap. The perps corrected me. And I stared at amiibo for the longest time thinking this couldn't be right, but left it alone and got the finish. This was a very nice Sunday puzzle with a very clever theme.

OwenKL said...

When asked a polite "how are you?"
Chloë replied with a witty APERÇU.
"I'm fit as a leotard!"
"As on key as a bard!"
"As refreshing as a soupçon of dew!"

Whined EEYORE to Winnie the Pooh
"My tail's missing, Oh what shall I do?
If, to take its place,
I TIED ON a LACE
I'd be forever mistaken for a SHOE!"

{B+, B, B+, A-.}

Big Easy said...

An easier than normal Sunday puzzle today from Susy and Doug with only three unknowns I'd never heard of- AMIIBO, SYD and RESEDA (heard the song but no idea about the place). APERCU has been a few puzzles and I fear that MAGE will be a future Crossword staple. I don't follow MLB but had heard the name MANNY before but LSU beat Tennessee 6-3 last night in their first game of the College World Series last night. They already won the title SIX times; let's hope for number seven.

After TONGUE, SHOULDER, and MOUTH were in place I was waiting for more BODY parts to appear.

Juan DEL Potro- really nice guy who was capable of beating Roger, Rafa, & Novak any day but kept getting hurt. Won the US Open in 20098. Beat both Rafa and Roger Federer in that tournament.
In 2013 DW and I were watching him play in the Australian Open in the Hisense Arena. The roof was open and one of the spectators sitting in the sunny section passed out and fell over. Juan STOPPED the match and yelled for a EMT to come. Luckily we were seated under the shaded area.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

After yesterday’s marathon, this was a leisurely jog to the finish line. I love this type of theme and really enjoyed the solve which is an all too rare Sunday experience. The title and the first two themers, Wicked Tongue and Cold Shoulder, told me exactly where we were headed (pun intended!) but in no way distracted from my enjoyment. There were some unknowns but not nearly as many as some Sunday grids and the perps did their job well: Roach, Del, and Syd, as clued, plus AMIIBO and Reseda. Hand up for Tied On and Ski Hat (Hi, KS). Some clever cluing, lively fill, and a mere (for a Sunday) 24 three letter words enhanced my delight, as well.

Thanks, Susy and Doug, for a very smooth and satisfying Sunday solve and thanks, Anon T, for pinch hitting and ‘splainin’ things so well. As soon as I read “Let’s see what else we can get our hands on”, I knew it wasn’t CC’s voice but I wasn’t sure it was you either until I reached the end of the review, probably because I found you narrative more subdued than usual.

Happy Fathers Day to all.

BTW, I hope PK’s prolonged absence is not health-related.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, missing WICKEn TONGUE and RitCH. Erased comb for CRAW, intend for DENOTE, cia for NSA, and les for UNE.

I just can't believe that -T didn't link the song that was dedicated to bringing some hip music to CAT SPAS. Was he concerned about causing a Clash?

Do they still have JV players in high schools? Back in the days when I was in college and the textbooks were on scrolls, they had freshmen-only sports teams. No 3-pointers, no shot clock except in the pros. The Virginia Squires and the Kentucky Colonels prowled the professional hardwood with their tricolor basketballs.

Thanks to Susy and Doug for the fun, and to -T for the CC-style review.

Lee said...

Interestingly, the only two spots to give me trouble were ACh for ACK and aPES and OPES. Had no idea what AMIIB_ was and the only two letters that fit were A and O.

Got CAP before hAt. Knew RESEDA.

Good puzzle, Christian and Doug. Very terse analysis, AnonT.

Happy Father's Day.

ATLGranny said...

A nice puzzle for Father's Day Sunday which I managed to FIR without too much trouble. Fun theme and helpful perps which I appreciate, Susy and Doug. Thanks!

And it was you, AnonT, leading the way through the review today! Thanks for finding time to do it.

Traffic blocker turning out to be NARC was one of several surprises for me in the cluing. Hope you all have some unexpected fun today too!

Monkey said...

Oh, my gosh. I didn’t pay attention and assumed CC was recapping this puzzle. Indeed A-t, what a great imitation of CC. 😆

This was a delightful puzzle. Several unknowns but easily filled with perps. I saw AMIIBO, but left it since everything else fit.

My great nephew’s DW is named MIRANDA.

I’m afraid BUTTER FINGERS is my LANGUAGE.

How do people carry the name ROACH.? Our former mayor was so named and was re-elected twice so it didn’t hurt him.

Several years ago we had a MIATA. Loved it.

Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers out there.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-APERCU (? Indeed)
-When I see a word like AMIIBO, I always wonder if the constructors knew it or used a computer app to fill that space.
-I doubt if LeBron James played JV ball as a SOPH
-Those of us of a certain age remember rooftop ANTENNAS proliferating everywhere
-People south of the railroad tracks in our town had to EVACUATE in the 2019 flood
-ORU hit two homers in the bottom of the ninth to win their first CWS game in Omaha yesterday
-How did we survive being raised without A/C?
-THURBER’s The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty, is one of those H.S. stories I enjoyed and remembered
-I first saw (not) “learned” in the clue as two syllables and entertained entering STUPID

desper-otto said...

Tante Nique, don't forget Mattea Roach. She's been a major Jeopardy! winner.

Husker, we've still got a rooftop antenna (well, actually attached to the side of the chimney) so we can still get weather broadcasts when the satellite goes dark. (We could stream local TV stations, but when weather is severe, our internet often goes out, too.)

Charlie Echo said...

A fun Sunday romp. Good clues, good perps, answers in common use, gave a very satisfying FIR. Before AC: I remember my granddad putting a dish pan of ice under a wet towel in front of an oscillating fan out on the screen porch for a little cooling on a hot Chicago day.

OwenKL said...

The cedilla under APERÇU is vital to the proper pronunciation, as is the one under soupçon.
"A mark (¸) written under the letter c, especially in French, to show that it is pronounced like an s rather than a k (e.g. façade )."

Yellowrocks said...

Fun puzzle. Excellent theme. Helpful perps. Interesting blog, AT.
I have known the last name Roach for so long, I never associate it with the insect.
AMIIBO looked wrong, but the perps were good.
APERÇU was a gimme with the APE-- start. SYD also was a gimme for this primary school teacher.
In my experience, most Nativity scenes have an angel. For Christmas I have a dozen small Nativity scenes, plus one the "size of a bread box." I had dozens of angels of all kinds that I displayed at Christmas. I gave many away when I downsized to come here. I still have have about half a dozen on permanent display and several that I get out only at Christmas. Angels and butterflies are my "thing." I have countless images of them as jewelry items. I suppose I want wings so I can soar.
Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there.

Jayce said...

I liked this puzzle for all the same reasons you have mentioned. Anonymous T's write-up, too.

Malodorous Manatee said...

AMIIBO was completely new to me.

In Crested Butte, CO I have heard vistors from the Lone Star State pronounce a local restaurant's name Soupçon as SOOP CON.

Wendybird said...

What a nice puzzle today. It was creative, interesting and fairly easy. I FIR without much effort, though I had no idea about AMIIBO and only got it from perps. Thank tou Suzy and Doug, for a fun Sunday and Father’s Day.
I don’t think ASS as clued was disrespectful. It appears several times in the Bible and by some accounts carried Jesus into Jerusalem.
I worry about Canadian ‘Eh - Is she OK? I think most folks know, and I don’t mean to pry, but I missed it.

Irish Miss said...

Wendybird @ 3:24 ~ CanadianEh has been dealing with family issues for the last several weeks.

GRUMPY GRANDMA said...

Thanks for this delightful Sunday romp that didn't make our amateur brains explode! Clever theme, very few "unknowns" in the clues ... my blood pressure barely moved!!!

sumdaze said...

Thank you, Susy and Doug, for the Sunday fun. I liked your clever theme!
FAV: Runners in hot weather

Thank you for your write-up, AnonT. Sunday puzzles are a lot of work because they have so many clues. I appreciate you putting your hand up to help! Oh, and I watched the ZOOTOPIA trailer and added it to my library queue. Thanks for that, too.

Misty said...

Fun Sunday puzzle, many thanks, Susy and Doug. And always enjoy your commentary, Anon T. And we send you good wishes, C.C.

Well, that WICKED TONGUE got us off to a bad start and prepared me for a depressing experience. But after a while we saw that there was SEA LIFE, maybe in CALIFORNIA, and then we got a KISS--how delightful! Along with a SWEET TOOTH and a CAT SPA, we had an ANGEL to guide us through this ZOOTOPIA. And we got to be happy with this puzzle after all.

Finish a wonderful Sunday, everybody, and enjoy a good week ahead.

Yellowrocks said...

Love the restaurant name, Soupçon. How apropos! When the meal was ready Mom would say, "Soup's on."

From a Christmas carol (not sacrilegious):
Jesus Christ was born to-day:
Ox and ass before Him bow,
And He is in the manger now.
Christ is born today! Christ is born today.

I love the ride home from taking Alan back. The scenery is all woods and hills in the beautiful slanted rays of the early evening sun. Most of NJ is so lovely.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Glad you all enjoyed the blog as terse as it was - I ran out of time to punch things up a bit...

See, Monday Youngest found out that she was accepted at UT and we scrambled to cancel all of our reservations for Columbus, OH (for apartment hunting) and turn our attention to Austin, TX. I happy for the kid (UT has a slight edge on OSU for her major) and for my pocket-book #InStateTuition!
Yesterday we finally found just the right appartement AND Youngest found a roommate to share the rent! The roomie-to-be is a fellow Lone Star Honors College grad from DW's class.

Jinx - Really?, Rock the Cat Spa? .... A Dad Joke on Father's day?
//How do you know it's a "Dad Joke?" "When it's 'apparent'."

Hope everyone had a good Father's Day.

Cheers, -T

Anonymous said...

Very fun Sunday offering, TY to the creators! Anonymous T’s run-through was amusing too; also good to hear the late/great Tom Petty getting some air time.

====> Darren / L.A.