google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Tuesday, November 14, 2023 Margi Stevenson

Advertisements

Nov 14, 2023

Tuesday, November 14, 2023 Margi Stevenson

A Day at the Gym.  The End word of each theme answer is a Workout one might do at the gym.

16-Across. *   Device that crushes pungent cloves: GARLIC PRESS.

24-Across. *   Go swimming in one's birthday suit: SKINNY DIP


48-Across. *   Perm style popular in the 1980s and early 1990s: JHERI CURL.

58-Across. *   Very little, informally: DIDDLY SQUAT.


And the unifier:

38-Across. Come to a satisfying conclusion, and what the answer to each starred clue literally has: WORKOUT IN THE END.

Across:
1. Yahtzee cubes: DICE.   //  27Across. Domino dimple: PIP.  The dimples on the dice and dominos are both called PIPs.


5. Load to bear: ONUS.  From the Latin, literally meaning Burden.

9. Includes on an email: CC's.  A shout out to our wonderful Blog host.

12. Milky white gem: OPAL.  Hi, Kazie!  These gems are prevalent in Australia.

13. Exactly right: SPOT ON.


15. Barrister's field: LAW.  A Barrister is an attorney who specializes in trial litigation, as opposed to a 
Solicitor, who focuses on more transactional areas of law, such as contracts.  These terms are more common in the United Kingdom rather than in the United States.  In England, the Barrister in criminal court wears the iconic wig.


18. Unlock, in verse: OPE.

19. Shared values: ETHOS.

20. "Tag, __ it!": YOU'RE.


22. Puts on: DONS.

28. Flexible blackjack card: ACE.


30. Letters accompanying college apps: RECS.  As in Recommendations.

31. Maker of Calm + Restore skin care products: AVEENO.  We learned from a recent crossword puzzle that Aveeno products are also vegan.

I know everyone won't get the joke, but it made me laugh. *

33. Sheep sound: BAA.


34. Threesome: TRIO.  Ménage à trois?

41. Wild guess: STAB.

42. P-like Greek letter: RHO.  The Greek letters appear so often in the puzzles that we should have them all memorized by now.


43. Apple AirPod, e.g.: EARBUD.

44. Qatari leader: EMIR.  The letters also stand for European Market Infrastructure Regulation.

46. __ deco: ART.  We haven't seen our old friend Erté (né Romain de Tirtoff; Nov. 23, 1892 ~ Apr. 21, 1990) in a long time.  He used to make frequent guest appearances in the crossword puzzles.  He was best known for his Art Deco designs.


47. Some coll. degrees: BSs.  As in a Bachelor of Science degree, as opposed to a Bachelor of Arts degree.

52. Olympic sword: ÉPÉE.  A crossword staple.

54. Vampire teeth: FANGS.

My neighbor's cat that we renamed Fang.  He likes us better than his real owner.



57. Tot: KID.

64. "World of Dance" judge, to fans: JLO.  Jennifer Lynn Lopez Affleck (b. July 24, 1969) got her start as a Fly Girl on the television comedy In Living Color.  She is well known for her many marriages and relationships.  [Name # 1.]

65. Make a minister: ORDAIN.

66. Constellation bear: URSA.  I guess if you have a good imagination, you can see the Bear in the Stars.  It's easier to see the Big Dipper.  Can you find the 27-Down. Bear hands: PAWS?



67. << on a remote: Abbr.: REW.   The Rewind button.

68. Rapper Lil Uzi __: VERT.  Although I didn't recognize the name, when I saw his photo, I realized that Lil Uzi Vert (né Symere Basil Woods; b. July 31, 1995) has made appearances in the puzzles before.  Apparently, he had a $24M pink diamond imbedded into his forehead, until it was "ripped" out during a concert.  [Name # 2.]


69. Yellowstone grazers: ELKS.  We learned from last Tuesday that all Elks are Deer, but not all Deer are Elks.

Down:
1. "Best in Show" animal: DOG.  One of the funniest movies I have seen.


2. Hoppy brew letters: IPA.  As in India Pale Ale.  The real story of IPA's origin.

3. Sedan, e.g.: CAR.


4. Astronaut Ochoa who was the first Latina in space: ELLEN.  Not only was Ellen Ochoa (b. May 10, 1958) the first Latina in space, but she was also the director of the Johnson Space Center.  In 1993 she became the first Hispanic woman to go into space when she went on a 9-day mission on the Space Shuttle Discovery.  [Name # 3.]


5. Stand against: OPPOSE.

6. Scandinavian language, to its speakers: NORSK.  Norsk is one of two principal languages of Norway, but there are several others.

7. Native people of Colorado: UTE.  A crossword staple.

8. Distress call: SOS.  This is becoming a crossword staple.  It has appeared in several of the past Tuesday puzzles.

9. Sun block?: CLOUD.  Great misdirection.


10. __ pants: warm-weather wear: CAPRI.  Where did they come from?


11. Use a broom: SWEEP.

13. PTA meeting place: SCH.  The Parent Teacher Association meetings take place at the School.

14. "Bye Bye Bye" boy band: NSYNC.  [Name adjacent.]


17. "Hard pass": IT'S A NO.

21. Bivalve in a bed: OYSTER.


22. Golfer's gouge: DIVOT.

23. Rossini composition: OPERA.  Gioachino Antonio Rossini (29 February 1792 – 13 November 1868) wrote 39 operas, as well as many pieces of music, including chamber music and sacred pieces.  He is probably best known for his 1816 opera The Barber of Seville.   [Name # 4.]


25. Tehran's land: IRAN.

 
26. Less of a mess: NEATER.

29. Journalist Katie who guest-hosted "Jeopardy!" in 2021: COURIC.  Katherine Anne Couric (b. Jan. 7, 19957) always seemed a little too cheerful for me.  [Name # 5.]

32. Actress Anita of "La Dolce Vita": EKBERG.  Anita Ekberg (née Kerstin Anita Marianne Ekberg; Sept. 29, 1931 ~ Jan. 11, 2015) was a Swedish actress.  In 1964, she became a permanent resident of Italy.  She is known for her role as Sylvia in the 1960 film La Dolce Vita, which was directed by Federico Fellini (Jan. 20, 1920 ~ Oct. 31, 1993).  [Name # 6.]


33. Sci. course: BIO.

35. Yeshiva leader: REBBE.  Rabbi vs Rebbe.


36. Occupied: IN USE.

37. Betting numbers: ODDS.

39. Drive-__ window: THRU.

40. Trash-talking types: HATERS.
45. Bungle: MIS-DO.

46. Writing movement rooted in internet culture: ALT LIT.  Alternative Literature.

48. Jackie O's son: JFK, JR.  Tragically, JFK, Jr. (né John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Jr.; Sept. 25, 1960 ~ July 16, 1999) and his wife, Caroline (née Caroline Jeanne Bessette; Jan. 7, 1966 ~ July 16, 1999) were killed in a plane crash while on their way to the wedding of a Kennedy cousin.  After the death of President John F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy (née Jacqueline Lee Bouvier; July 18, 1929 ~ May 19, 1994) married shipping magnate Aristotle Onassis and became known as Jackie O.  [Names # 7 and 8.]

Caroline Kennedy, JFK, Jr., and Jackie Kennedy Onassis

49. Selassie of Ethiopia: HAILE.  Everything you wanted to know about Emperor Haile Selassie (né Täfäri Mäkonnän; July 23, 1892 ~ Aug. 27, 1975), but didn't know to ask.  When he became emperor, he changed his name to Haile Selassie which means Power of the Trinity in Amharic.  [Names # 9.]


50. Fund: ENDOW.

51. Storm-tracking aid: RADAR.


53. Arouse, as interest: PIQUE.

56. Author Rand: AYN.  Ayn Rand (née Alisa Zinovyevna Rosenbaum; Feb. 2, 1905 ~ Mar. 6, 1982) was a Russian-born American writer and philosopher.  She is best known for her novels Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, both of which I read when I was in college.  [Name # 10.]


59. Hip-hop producer Gotti: IRV.  I am not into the hip-hop scene, so am not familiar with Ive Gotti (né Irving Domingo Lorenzo, Jr.; b. July 26, 1970).  [Name # 11.]


60. 1950s political monogram: DDE.  As in Dwight David Eisenhower (Oct. 14, 1890 ~ Mar. 28, 1969).  [Name # 12.]

61. Bookmarked link: URL.  The Uniform Resource Locator has become a crossword staple.

62. Invite (to): ASK.
63. Prof's assistants: TAs.  As in Teaching Assistants.

Here's the Grid:


חתולה

*  Avinu Malkeinu (Hebrew: אָבִינוּ מַלְכֵּנוּ; "Our Father, Our King") is a Jewish prayer recited during the High Holidays.  Avinu is pronounced like Aveeno.


39 comments:

Subgenius said...

Two things:
It had to be “Jheri curl” no matter how weird it looked. The perps demanded it. And I figured it would be “Irv” rather than “Ira” because “Aert” did not make sense at all.
Anyway, FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

Yup, JHERI and that V in IRV/VERT were the stumbling blocks (as opposed to "sun blocks") this morning. Got the theme, even while missing the reveal. Yay. Thanx, Margi. Enjoyed your plethora of cartoons, Hahtoolah. (Gotta get my eyes fixed soon. I needed to blow things up to 170% to see those cartoons.)

inanehiker said...

Fun puzzle, but a reminder that I need to work out tomorrow. I'm hosting my book club tonight so no workout for me today after work!

Same thinking as SG and D-O as to the IRV/VERT.
I remember the JHERI CURL from when I worked in the inner city in the early 80s - very popular in the African American community- but I mostly heard it said - so thought it was GHERI - until perps changed the G to a J.

I think of Tevye's song "If I was a rich man" in "Fiddler on the Roof" for the use of REBBE. If he was rich he could afford to study Torah all day long and his community would start addressing him as REBBE Tevye.

Thanks Susan for a fun blog and to Margi for the puzzle which wasn't too much of a workout after all!

inanehiker said...

Oh and I always think of ELK as the plural too- but remembered from past crosswords that ELKS is okay too

KS said...

FIR. Many unknowns for a Tuesday puzzle. This was more of a Thursday endeavor.
Rebbe and jheri curl looked wrong, but the perps insisted on them.
And the crossing of two proper names, hip-hop as well, was cruel. I took a WAG with V for Vert. If not for that, I would have finished wrong.

unclefred said...

FIR in a longer-than-usual Tuesday time. Started really fast then bogged down. WOS re IRV/VERT crossing and JHERICURL, which I never heard of. Also managed to totally flub Katie’s last name, ending up with a messy CURRIC:CORRIC:COURIC. Oy. Once again forgot to look for the theme. Second Oy. Thanx for the entertainment MS, and thanx too to Hahtoolah for the fun write-up. Hails Selassie, Emperor of Ethiopia for life, and Rastafarianism is an interesting story.

Anonymous said...

Took about 5 minutes today for me to get crunched.

I guessed wrong at the intersection of the hip hop producer and the rapper. Oh well.

I didn't know today's actress, nor today's female astronaut (astronauette? astronautrix?), but I did know today's writer (Ayn). I'd never seen "rebbe" before.

Lucina said...

Hola!

What's going on? Only four comments so far! It was a roll of the DICE in some cases for this puzzle and how surprising to see DIDDLY SQUAT.

JHERI CURL also surprised me. It all WORK(ED)OUT IN THE END, though.

I won't tell you about my SKINNY DIP days at midnight. Oh, to be young and foolish!

It's too early to be up so I think I'll return to bed.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

Lucina said...

Thank you, Susan and Margi. It was a good WORKOUT today.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

This had a bit of a crunch for a Tuesday, e.g., Jhericurl, Vert, Irv, and Ellen, as clued, but perps were fair, except the Irv/Vert crossing, which required an educated guess, as SubG pointed out. The theme was evident when the reveal filled in which sort of gave away the last two themers too easily. As usual, the high three letter word count was a distraction, particularly the initialisms and abbreviations.

Thanks, Margi, for a smooth Tuesday solve and thanks, Hahtoolah, for brightening my day with the abundance of really, really cute and funny comics. I usually find a couple that stand out as especially chuckle-inducing, but today I was treated to several that not only brought chuckles but laugh out loud glee, namely, the visuals for Garlic Press, Spot On*, Baa, Cloud, Rebbe*, and Drive Thru. *Those two win Best In Show and Tell hands down! Thanks for the laughs and for an outstanding review.

Have a great day.

Hahtoolah said...

Good Morning, Crossword friends: I am finding the Tuesday puzzles are becoming a bit more challenging, but there are still a lot of crossword staples that help with a lot of those unknowns. We've seen Vert before, but it is a name and face I that will immediately be gone from my brain, so will seem new the next time he appears.


QOD: A hat should be taken off when you greet a lady and left off for the rest of your life. Nothing looks more stupid than a hat. ~ P.J. O’Rourke (né Patrick Jake O’Rourke; Nov. 14, 1947 ~ Feb. 15, 2022), American political satirist

Vidwan827 said...

Thank you Margi Stevenson for your very interesting CW puzzle and Hahtoolah for your charming informative commentary

Parsan said...

Fun puzzle today, easy at the top and harder at the bottom - thanks MS. So much interesting info Hahtoolah! I liked the rabbi/REBBE article and now I finally know about IPA.Anita EKBERG was a beautiful actress. I remember a picture of Jackie Kennedy greeting HAILE Selassie.

I remember my grandmother being shocked when my aunt abandoned her clip-on earrings and got her ears pierced. “You’re putting holes in your face?”. I don’t think anyone back then would have predicted Lil Uzi VERT and his pink diamond.

That aria from the OPERA “The Barber of Seville” was one we included in programs we staged for thousands of students who were bussed in over several years to our famous Troy Music Hall. Synopses and recordings were sent to music teachers in advance, and sets were made for each aria with the singers in costumes. Our opera company had some funding from the schools and state but most performances were paid for by fund raising and foundations. Alas, the arts now have little importance in American public education.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIW - know what I mean, VERn? But I got three of my four Naticks, so I should be thankful. Tis the season, after all.

Today is:
WORLD DIABETES DAY (this disease is no joke. One of my grandfathers had it, but managed to live to a ripe old age)
NATIONAL PICKLE DAY (when I was a kid, I used to make pickle sandwiches)
NATIONAL SPICY GUACAMOLE DAY (thanks to the SKINNY DIPping Lucina, I now pronounce it correctly)
NATIONAL SEAT BELT DAY (I wouldn’t drive to the corner without buckling mine, but I am against mandates)
NATIONAL FAMILY PJ DAY (P.J. O’Rourke is my favorite PJ too. His Parliament of Whores should be required reading before before one is allowed to vote.)

I don't remember which lecherous character asked "are we DIPping SKINNY?" Book? Movie? TV commercial?

The "s" in ELKS isn't wrong, just superfluous.

Hot-as-a-firecracker singer Taylor Swift warns us that "the HATERs gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate." What are we to do? Shake it off. She's amassed her $750 million fortune before turning 34.

Thanks to Ha2la for all the great toons, and for the tour.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

I almost forgot. We had REC(S) and REW. If we had FFWD, STOP and PLAY we could enjoyed the Corner's home theatre installation.

Lee said...

Not all things work out in the end but it did today. FIR. Iike SubG and d.o. I didn't like the Natick in the SW. I did WAG the "V" and settled on the "J" though I never heard of the hairstyle.

A bow to Margi for her well worked out puzzle and curtsey to H2LH for the worked out analysis of that result.

The fall leaf display is almost over here in PA. A couple of cold snaps have mostly denuded the maple, ash, oak, and other trees. So brief a time.

Often times we see what we want to see and not what there is to see.

Beware

waseeley said...

Thank you Margi. I liked this puzzle even though it didn't quit WORK OUT for me -- DNK IRV and VERT.

And thank you Hahtoolah for doing the heavy lifting and for all the fun.

Some favs:

30A RECS. Got this on perps, but didn't get it. Back when we applied for college all you needed was your transcript and your SAT scores.

34A TRIO. I've been missing out on Ménage à Trois all these years -- and I really like blends.

56A. AYN. By sheer coincidence, earlier today I read a review of a rather bizarre novel called The Book of Ayn, that among other things claimed that Rand was high on on Benzedrine as she finished The Fountainhead. That might explain why it was so long.

69A ELKS. I'm warning ya' -- an ESS on ELK is a sslippery sslope. Like "deer", the plural of "ELK" should be "ELK".

7D UTE. I didn't know this people in my UTE.

8D SOS. With 2 ESSES and a vowel, I'm sure this fill has saved many a constructor.

23A OPERA. Rossini also wrote the OPERA William Tell. For many years an INTELLECTUAL was defined "Someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture, without thinking of the Lone Ranger" -- (this clip omits the pastoral opening section). Sadly, these days nobody knows who the Lone Ranger was, so it doesn't get much air time.

49D HAILE. As described in the Acts of the Apostles, the Apostle Philip encounters a Eunuch of the Queen ("Candace") of Ethiopia (a royal ancestor of Selassie I'm sure) on a journey. The Eunuch's conversion led to the founding of the COPTIC Church in Ethiopia, likely the first organized Christian church in history.

Cheers,
Bill

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-Not even JHERI made this workout particularly difficult
-I have a solicitor and have never needed a barrister
-If you watch BBC’s Poirot, you will be immersed with their choices of ART DECO influences
-Here’s a full version of Poirot. The Intro alone is full of ART DECO.
-Joann wore her CAPRIS when we visited CAPRI
-A relative was shocked when after regretting loaning her money so many times I told her IT’S A NO
-Most golf carts have these bottles full of sand and seed to fix DIVOTS
-Fun cartoons, Susan!

waseeley said...

Hahtoolah @8:13 AM But OTOH, there's an old Indian saying -- "If your feet are cold, put on a hat".

RosE said...

Good Morning! Margi gave me a challenge today. I think she won.
All perps for JHERICURL (??) and REBBE.
WO: e -> K in NORSK
Well, I learned how to spell PIQUE 😄😄.
South central did me in: IRV (Ira) crossing VERT (aero) crossing ALTLIT (altlio). I knew none of it.

Thanks, Hah2lah, for the riotous fun with the animals: penguins swimming, the Dalmatians, sheep, rabbit and also the clouds.

Ray - O - Sunshine said...

My, little Margi!
DNF didn’t know IRb crossed with VERT. Opted not to even try a WAG

We swing from simple clue/answers like DOG to “rapper Lil Uzi“

Inkovers: Norse/NORSK, jerrycurl/JHERI….did anyone but H2LH fill RABBI first without perpaid? ☺️

Andy’s kid to buds….. OPE
A bear who reflects, gives___ ….PAWS
Star BILL of the series BARRY family…..HATERS
Owned by Phyllis Diller’s husband…. FANGS
Selassie, the Ethiopian leader was ___ regarded…. HAILE

FLN: TTP and Jinx "My excuse I did the puzzle in the Syracuse airport and waiting for takeoff to Orlando on my phone"…..You both obviously have not heard of the new app BMDS (“Beam me down Scotty”) for IPhone and android. Instantly zaps you to your designated location. Just make sure there’s not a housefly on your shoulder when it happens 😳

Loved the “Can’t Pass the Bar” toon but all were hits

desper-otto said...

Jinx, gotta ask. How did you pronounce it before? "Spicky?"

Big Easy said...

I do the exercises daily but noticing the theme? I didn't know DIDDLY SQUAT. I practice the bar DIP so I will always be able to get out of the bath tub. The cross of unknowns IRV & VERT was a guess. AVEENO, JLO, ELLEN, NSYNC, & EKBERG were unknown as clued. ATL LIT was just unknown. But it's Tuesday and the puzzles are easy to FIR.

'Trash-talking types' was not a good clue for HATERS. I was thinking CAGERS (basketball) players.

I will clean my house---the day before Thanksgiving when everybody is coming. But the real mess is after they leave. That's when it's dirty.

Monkey said...

WEES concerning the IRV/VERT crossing. I also never heard of JHERI CURL, but knew it had to be right, so thank you to Margi for planning it this way.

I really like that silly expression DIDDLY SQUAT.

I love anything ART deco. Thanks HG for thé Poirot intro. I never tire of watching it.

Phyllis Diller used to refer to her husband as FANGS.

Hahtoolah outdid herself this morning with the neat cartoons. My favorite is the last one, oh, and thanks for revealing the AVEENO little joke. I also really appreciate the bio info for the people who appear in the puzzles.

NaomiZ said...

FIR but had to WAG the V in IRV/VERT (which I thought a bit unfair) and did not like ELKS as the plural for a single type of elk. Hatoolah, however, was SPOT ON. I hadn't seen the Aveeno Malkeinu cartoon before, and it made up for the irksome bits of the puzzle. I liked seeing Hahtoolah's cat FANG as well, since I was also adopted by a neighbor's cat long ago.

Lucina said...

The Lightning Bug (i.e. my gr-grandson) has a bit of a cold so he couldn't go to daycare and is here. Sigh.

I was planning to go shopping for a turkey and assorted groceries but that will have to wait. I did not know IRV or VERT so left one blank.

Charlie Echo said...

Got the FIR, although some of the clues seemed a tad squishy to me. The V in VERT, the JH in the curl, and superfluous S on the ELK. A DIVOT is not a gouge...a divot is what you REPLACE in the gouge. I had an uncle who flew for Ethiopian Airlines for many years, and was one of the pilots who brought Haile Selassie to Washington for a meeting with JFK in the early 1960's. He had an interesting career.

CrossEyedDave said...

I dunno, I'm having a hard time containing my Thumper...

First, the puzzle leaves me with a bunch of one letter alphabet runs.
Jherricurl crossing Haile,
Vert crossing Irv AND Altlit.
Then Bloggers say the above was easily perped?

I was so annoyed, I forgot to go back and make sense of the theme...

Then, trying to write this, and going back to the blog for reference, the stupid Temu Ads kick in, even when you don't click on them, and trying to click back is now resulting in the history going haywire and bringing me to Sundays Blog? So I have to re-open the blog from the beginning, which results in "more ads," adding insult to to injury...

I can only hope it works out in the end with an attitude adjustment...

Oh, and I almost forgot. What do you call more then one Elk?

You call it "a herd..."


Sheeesh!

Anonymous said...

Fascinating article about the languages of Norway. The variety may be due to their geography and occupation by the Danes and Swedes (and Germans in WW II). Norwegians are now among the most progressive people in the world imho!

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Smarty-pants DO, the way I used to said it, "gutsy guacamole" was an alliteration.

AnonymousPVX said...


I wonder what kind of “editor” would put 2 relatively unknown names - never mind rappers - in a most critical spot?

Ooohhhh…. I know, I know!!

And today so does everyone else.

Anonymous T said...

Hi All!

Nope. Not only did I miss IRv | vERT, I spelled it Jerry ->Jeery Curl, and AVEiNO. And this is Tuesday?

Thanks Margi for the grid. Thank you Hahtoolah for the uplifting salve after my #fail.

WO: ETHic -> ETHOS
ESPs: ELLEN, EKBERG, REBBE
Fav: DONS b/f SKINNY DIP tickled me.

Waseeley - I guess I'm not cultured 'cuz I always think of the Lone Ranger.
My HS buddy, who was first-string at State in viola, informed me that it was William Tell Overature. Not only was he viola player, he was also first-string at state in football on the offensive line. Kinda funny to watch a rather large guy play the little-tiny viola ;-)

Enjoyed reading everyone!
Cheers, -T

Jinx in Norfolk said...

Bayou Tony - I love to see an instrument being played by someone who dwarfs it. I used to attend a lot of Bluegrass music shows, and had to stifle a laugh when some big good ole boy would step forward for a mandolin solo. Reminded me of Tiny Tim and his (crossword favorite) uke every time.

BTW, one of the best Bluegrass venue was a bar in the hoity-toity community of Marina del Rey, CA.

Jayce said...

I knew DIDDLY SQUAT what the two names were that crossed each other at the bottom, namely IRV and VERT. I will go so far as to call crossing two names like that a foul.

Other than that, I more or less enjoyed solving this puzzle, despite that JHERI CURL thing.

Reading Hahtoolah's write-up and all your comments was more enjoyable.

Y'all have a good day now, y'hear?

Big Easy said...

I remember about JHERI CURL when Michael Jackson's hair caught on fire doing a Pepsi commercial. Also, a scene in "Coming To America" with Eddie Murphy.

TTP said...

I just realized that I never posted my comments! I really enjoy working in the yard, and I was anxious to get out there today. And now I'm tired.

FWIW, this is what I started with:

Good morning. Thank you, Margi Stevenson, and thank you Hatoolah.

Did anyone get swole working out the answers in this crossword puzzle? This puzzle reminded me that I have been a bit lax with my dumbbells.

Fun all the way around. I laughed at the clouds cartoon.

That's all I had at the time.

As an aside, I don't eat a lot of McDonalds, but I do like their McRibs, and they are back! I ordered two for lunch today. The first one one was great and just as I expected, but the second one surprised me. No barbecue sauce, no onions, no pickles. Clearly a mistake on their part, but you know what? It was pretty good unadorned. I'll temper that with the fact that by the time I went to get them for lunch I was pretty darn hungry.

Vidwan827 said...


Soo nice to hear some of your comments ... I was so busy this morning, I couldn't add to my lil posting...

I heard of/ and saw - the JHERI CURL in 1972? - 1973, when it was all the rage in the ( younger - ) African American community. Then, as also now, I still feel that too many people spend too much money on altering some aspect of their God-given nature-endowed parts ... instead of being proud of what they are-, and changing their attitudes and talents.

I was very familiar with the difference between rabbi and Rebbe, probably because of my numerous Jewish friends, and reading of Jewish lit. ... and ofcourse, Fiddler on the roof, the movie...
The rabbit, with the Priest and the minister joke, is really smart ... and funny ... I must try and remember that one ...

Well, tomorrow is another day ! Have a great day tomorrow, all you folks.

sumdaze said...

Hand up for FIW at IR? & ?ERT. That sort of crossing is especially unwelcomed when it is located at the bottom of a grid -- all that work then "huh?". I did like "Bear hands". Thank you, Margie!

Thank you, also, Hahtoolah! "Dog Show" is one of my favorites, too. The barrister vs. solicitor link was a learning moment.

FLN. Sophie. Thank you for sharing about your mother's PYREX. That's really special!

Prof M said...

At least ELKS is better than MICES.