google.com, pub-2774194725043577, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 L.A.Times Crossword Corner: Sunday July 21, 2024 Kyle Dolan

Advertisements

Jul 21, 2024

Sunday July 21, 2024 Kyle Dolan

Theme: "Course Work" - Each common phrase is re-interpreted as part of the course for a golfer. 

22. The golfer's engineering course involved making __: PITCHING MACHINES.

38. The golfer's psychology course helped develop a __: BUNKER MENTALITY.

47. The golfer's biomechanics course covered __: SWING SHIFTS.

69. The golfer's rhetoric course included debates on __: WEDGE ISSUES.

87. The golfer's art course taught how to draw a __: ROUGH SKETCH.

95. The golfer's landscape architecture course included the __: GREEN REVOLUTION.

113. After completing the courses, the golfer had a well-rounded __: DRIVER'S EDUCATION.

And golf course, of course! Really like the theme entries. All noun phrases where the first word is a golf term. The 113A is just a perfect ending. Surprised not to see anything CHIP* though.

I've mentioned before, Kyle is a brilliant themeless constructor. Many of today's fill and clues reflect his themeless skill.

Across:

1. Part that stretches over a foot: CALF. And a few other clues that I really like: 78. Columns that lean: OP-EDS. Newspaper columns. 105. Think piece?: IDEA. 29. Nonworking capital, for short?: IRA. 37. House work?: LAWS. 68. Legal partner?: SPOUSE. 85. Hook, to Pan: FOE. Captain Hook.

5. Zinger: BARB.

9. Desert refuge: OASIS. And 19. Roofed veranda: LANAI.

14. Whodunit genre: NOIR.

18. Field: AREA.

20. Oil source: OLIVE. Been loving the California Olive Ranch brand. 


21. Cogito, __ sum: ERGO.

25. ET rides: UFOS.

26. Part of London where Cockney originated: EAST END. Where Eliza Doolittle is from.

27. Popular pooch: LAB.

28. Cook in a wok, say: STIR FRY. No wok for me. We have an electric stove.

30. Founder: SINK.

31. Vail outfit: SKI SUIT.

35. Victorian __: ERA.

36. Approve of: BLESS.

43. Persian Gulf fed.: UAE.

44. Alex and __ jewelry: ANI.

45. Some elders: NANAS.

46. Campus org.: NCAA.

53. "Road Rules" airer: MTV.

54. Tree with delicate bark: BEECH.

55. Manhattan univ.: K STATE. Manhattan, Kansas.

56. Words on Alice's cake: EAT ME.

58. Battery in a science experiment: POTATO.


59. "Samesies!": SO AM I.

62. Cereal for Bart Simpson: KRUSTY O'S.

65. Designer Armani's nickname: GIO.

66. Deep cut: GASH.

71. Bench press muscles, for short: PECS

72. Dada artist Jean: ARP.

73. Filing for Chapter 11 protection: BANKRUPT. And 74. Corrupt offer: BRIBE.

76. Bear in fire-prevention ads: SMOKEY.

80. Trunks: TORSOS.

84. Donald Duck's nephew: LOUIE.

85. "Success!," in textspeak: FTW. For the Win.

90. Displace: OUST.

91. Northwestern capital: BOISE.

93. Eliza Hamilton portrayer Phillipa: SOO.

94. "What have we here!?": OHO.

99. Pack with 78 cards: TAROT.

101. "Titanium" singer: SIA.

102. Tournament favorite: ONE SEED.

103. "Carnation, __, __, Rose": Sargent painting: LILY. Why did he put two Lily's in the title?



104. One of many Kens in "Barbie": SIMU LIU. He was born in Harbin, China. Cold there.

108. AOL alternative: MSN.

109. "Perfect!": NO NOTES.

112. Febreze target: ODOR.

118. Super Soaker maker: NERF.

119. Encourage: EGG ON.

120. Mars neighbor: EARTH.

121. Upmarket hotel chain: OMNI.

122. Talks a lot: YAKS. My sister-in-law Connie will be out of the acute rehab center today. Almost her old chatty self.  She can now walk with a walker by herself.

123. Coped (with): DEALT.

124. Takes legal action: SUES.

125. Party in the back?: FEST. Ah, OK, TwinsFest, e.g.

Down:

1. Batman cover: CAPE.

2. Delivery to a house: ARIA. Opera house.

3. "Show us!": LET'S SEE IT. And 33. "Don't look at me!": I'M A MESS.

4. "Truthfully ... ": FACT IS.

5. Wedding hire: BAND.

6. Director Lee: ANG.

7. Plow (into): RAM.

8. Actress Mayim: BIALIK. Hosted "Jeopardy!" a while ago.


9. "You got roasted!": OOH BURN.

10. MSNBC's Velshi: ALI.

11. Misdeed: SIN.

12. Currier and __: IVES.

13. Segments of sonnets: SESTETS.

14. AI learning model: NEURAL NET.


15. "Carmina Burana" composer: ORFF.

16. Inventor Sikorsky: IGOR.

17. Pink-cheeked: ROSY.

19. Web shortcut: LINK.

23. Coop denizens: HENS.

24. Attaché, e.g.: CASE.

31. Gymnastics champion Lee: SUNI. The pride of Minnesota. Regan Smith too.

32. Carving tool: KNIFE.

34. Fair venue: TENT.

36. Perform in the subway, say: BUSK.

38. "Ridiculous!": BAH.

39. Display on a dash, for short: NAV.

40. Period of glacial growth: ICE AGE.

41. Zone defense, say: TACTIC. Basketball.

42. "Gulliver's Travels" people: YAHOOS.

48. Part of rock's CSNY: NASH.

49. Bygone Pontiac: GTO.

50. Shipping route: SEAWAY.

51. Occupy: TAKE UP.

52. Rockfish, by another name: STRIPER. Striped bass.

54. Logan International code: BOS.

57. Absolute necessity: MUST DO.

58. Theorizes: POSITS.

60. Gents: MEN.

61. "Beats me," briefly: IDK.

63. Spot for a soak: TUB.

64. "__ out!": YER.

66. Rustic-looking fireplace option: GAS LOG.

67. Tower of London display: ARMOUR.


70. Slowly becomes more appealing to: GROWS ON.

71. __ Noël: PERE.

73. Classroom competition: BEE.

75. __ choy: BOK. This used to be my go-to lunch in Guangzhou. Rich noodles with shiitake mushrooms and a few baby bok choy.

77. Rides the waves under wind power: KITE-SURFS.

79. Essman of "Curb Your Enthusiasm": SUSIE.

81. Part of a preschooler's day: STORY TIME.

82. Cuatro x dos: OCHO.

83. Tequila serving, perhaps: SHOT.

86. Early DVR: TIVO.

88. In, as a field goal: GOOD.

89. Little endearment: HON.

91. Made a fishtail, maybe: BRAIDED.

92. Iron, e.g.: ELEMENT.

96. Nada: NIL.

97. Nat. dissolved in 1991: USSR.

98. Past and future: TENSES.

99. "The MAGA Diaries" writer Nguyen: TINA. Unfamiliar to me.


100. Many: A LOT OF.

103. Scottish body: LOCH.

104. Tokyo-based tech giant: SONY.

106. 1970s Robin Williams role: MORK.

107. Beseech: URGE.

109. Sundae garnish: NUTS.

110. Many millennia: EONS.

111. Huff: SNIT.

114. Four-time French Open winner Swiatek: IGA. Polish tennis player.


115. Encyclopedia div.: VOL.

116. La pluie, e.g.: EAU. Rain.

117. Rapper Dr. __: DRE.

C.C.



32 comments:

Subgenius said...

One entry (or two) that was a total “WAG”: the crossing of “Ani” and “Suni.” And there were a few others like that. But at least the themed entries were common in-the-language phrases. Anyway, through P&P, I eventually solved this challenging puzzle. FIR, so I’m happy.

desper-otto said...

Good morning!

And on the thirteenth day the internet returneth, and it was good.

Tough, quirky, outing. There were several spots which required WAGs -- that V at the MTV/NAV cross, the S at SUSIE/SOO, and the N at SUNI/ANI. D-o scored 33% on the trio. What really cinched the downfall was KS STATE -- I was certain that "House work" must be LAWN, so KS never appeared. Bzzzzt! Thanx for playing; stick with your day job. Still it was an enjoyable challenge, even with way too many proper nouns. Thanx, Kyle and C.C.

desper-otto said...

Forgot to mention, I was also fixated on MULLET for that "party in the back," but it was too long.

Anonymous said...

There were so many crossing obscure names, it was ridiculous. no interest whatsoever.

A. Aajma said...

103 Across: The painting’s title is taken from a then popular song, "Ye Shepherds Tell Me", that Sargent and his artist friends often enjoyed singing. Its lyrics include: A wreath around her head,
around her head she wore,
Carnation, lily, lily, rose,
And in her hand a crook she bore,
And sweets her breath compose.

John M27 said...

Missed it by that much. Managed to navigate the plethora of diverse proper names and even the “text-arcana” (FTW, IDK) and other abbreviations, but ultimately done in by my own stubbornness of sticking with Victorian Age instead of Era. Did not notice the misspelled nereul nor the resultant repeat answer IGA, but figured IGA and sestats were simply more arcane terms I didn’t know.

BobB said...

Uncle! I gave up.

Irish Miss said...

Good Morning:

I really liked the theme and execution, both of which offered enough of a challenge to elevate it above a fill-in-the-blank, rote exercise, as sometimes is the case with this type of Sunday puzzle. While there were no extreme obscure names or places, I needed several perps to come up with K State, Krusty Yos, Neural Net, Yahoos, MTV, Susie, Tina, and Lily. (Lily should have been clued as HG's "Squeaker of The House!" 🤣) I went astray at Dart/Barb, Birch/Beech, and Salem/Boise. IMO, One Seed is not a stand alone phrase, it needs Number before it and if anyone I know has ever uttered the words, Ooh Burn, I must have missed it. Overall, much of the cluing was a mixed bag of clever vs too cutesy and the fill was fine but marred by the 34 TLWs. Final nit: personal opinion, text speak does not belong in a crossword, so boo to IDK and FTW.

Thanks, Kyle, and thanks, CC, for touching on the finer points of Kyle's talents and strengths and highlighting the fun clues and fill. I'm with you on California Olive Ranch EVOO, I've been using it for years. That's good news about Connie's progress, and I hope she'll be able to return home soon.

Have a great day.

Monkey said...

I’m glad I TITT early. Reading CC’s nice recap supports my decision. I’m afraid everything was obscure to me this morning.

RustyBrain said...

Seemed like an average difficulty Sunday to me. I like puns (but not golf) so I guess it was on my wavelength. Several unknowns but perps were fair so FIR. Names like ORFF I never remember, and you'd think I'd know SIMU LIU by now but I'm a sloooow learner. Fun overall.

NaomiZ said...

FIR with effort! Much harder than the usual Sunday fare. Sports in general are my kryptonite, but all these golf terms are widely known, which helped me solve the theme entries.

Like D-O, I had LAWn before LAWS.

Thanks to Kyle for the challenge and to C.C. for solving! Glad to know your SIL Connie is so much improved.

Husker Gary said...

Musings
-After blogging A LOT OF Kyle’s themeless puzzles, I really enjoyed his golf theme and clever fill
-One bad cell: I could have looked at A_I/SU_I all day and never had success. When’s the last time you saw ANI clued as a cuckoo?
-I first heard the word LANAI on The Golden Girls
-Manhattan, KS bills itself as “The Little Apple”
-Famous people who have declared BANKRUPTCY
-The political theater to OUST or not OUST Joe Biden is very engaging
-Number has been elided to get ONE SEED. Also, Dale Earnhardt drove the 3 car
-TV shows hope to get NO NOTES from the network brass
-EARTH’s nearest solar system neighbor is thirty million miles away at its closest
-Are wedding BANDS going the way of buggy whips because of expense?
-We are replacing our “spa TUB” that was so popular 20 years ago
-SUSIE proved women can portray foul-mouthed characters too
-It’s amazing how many NFL games come down to a much smaller player’s ability to kick a FG
-IGA has officially replaced Independent Grocery Alliance here
-You’re right, Irish, our LILY now simply squeaks and is the mistress of the house! :-)

Anonymous said...

Not as up on my golf as some, so this took me a little under a half hour to complete. Nice and tough for what is usually a pretty rote Sunday puzzle. Only ended up stumped and guessing for the crossing of SUNI/ANI. Great cluing for common short answers!

Sophia said...

Wow! Cool that you know! Thx.
Now I “need” to hear it😊
internet - here I come!

YooperPhil said...

Well I hacked my way to a FIW due to several whiffs along the way, the equivalent of a triple bogey I guess. Much more difficult for me than the usual Sunday fare. Couldn’t find the right combination of WAGs and A-runs, and as par for the course it was the crossing of names that did me in. Perps got me SIMULIU and NO NOTES. DNK NEURAL NET, ARMOUR had a really vague clue, OOH BURN is a stretch, can’t wait to use that in a convo. Easter egg with “Iron” as a clue. It was a fun round even if I didn’t play so well today. Thank you Kyle for the challenge (your pin placements were rather tough today), and C.C for explaining it all.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

FIR, but erased green fee tiution(???) for GREEN REVOLUTION, top seed for ONE SEED, rpm, then rev for NAV, must be for MUST DO, dnk for IDK, and far (out) for YER (out). Hand up for guessing ANI x SUNI, having eliminated all but b, l, m, N, and r. Waited for mask/CAPE.

Shouldn't it be "pop. pooch" or "popular pooch (abbrev.) for LAB?"

IDK what a BUSK is, nor what a PERE NOEL is.

Isn't "bygone Pontiac" redundant? None have been made since 2009.

SHOT of tequila? No thanks, I'm allergic. Every time I drink tequila I break out in handcuffs. (OK, I stole that from Mom.)

IM, this sports fan knew ONE SEED as a stand-alone. As in "ONE SEEDS for this year's tournament are blue bloods Kentucky, Kansas, Duke and North Carolina.")

Thanks to Kyle for the Sunday challenge that stretched my ability to finish. And thanks to CC for the tour.

Anonymous said...

A ton of WAGs but managed to FIR. Last minute change from “Breaded”, (thinking of fried fish,which didn’t seem right) to “Braided” at 91D saved the bacon.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

H.Gary, I think your link on bankruptcy is misleading, at least where Trump is concerned. AFAIK, Trump hasn't declared bankruptcy, even though a half-dozen of his companies have. Even small guys that own, say, six McDonald's, eight 7-11s or a dozen rental houses will likely incorporate each one separately. By doing so they protect themselves from total ruin should something go catastrophically wrong on any single one. Without that protection, investment would be greatly curtailed.

When GM declared bankruptcy in 2009 (dooming Pontiac,) no one said (CEO) Fritz Henderson had declared bankruptcy.

Irish Miss said...

Jinx @ 11:58 ~ I'll accept your example, but I, personally, have never heard One Seed without Number.

Jinx in Norfolk said...

IM, it is to your credit that you aren't glued to an idiot tube (or some similar streaming device) during March Madness. There should be a 12-step program for college basketball addicts.

Charlie Echo said...

Tough Sunday, but finally managed to FIR after bogging down in the. SE corner for a long time. NONOTES and FEST still make no sense (to me, anyhow) I'll Echo IM that text speak does not belong in a crossWORD puzzle, and the paraphrasing was particularly awful today. (OOHBURN? Really?) That said the solving experience was a lot more enjoyable than yesterday's clunker!

unclefred said...

Wow, really a tough Sunday. I frequently pass on the Sunday CW due to the size and anticipated time it would take. Could not sleep last night so 2am ish printed it out and decided to give it a try. 38 minutes later I managed, to my surprise, really, to FIR. I got stuck several times and had to come back and try again later, but eventually, it fell together. The last cells to fill were naV/mtV, lawS/kState, and Fest. Changed LAWN to LAWS as very last V-8 can. Manhattan KS!!! Oy. Tough, tough CW, but very satisfying to be able to FIR. Thanx KD for this challenging CW. And thanx too to C.C. for the terrific write-up.

Irish Miss said...

Jinx @ 12:56 ~ The only professional sports I truly understand and am interested in are baseball and football. My father and four older brothers were rabid Yankee and Giants fans, so I grew up focused on those two sports. I don't ever remember my father watching basketball, hockey, golf, tennis, etc., only the Yanks and Giants. He also watched the Friday night fights, but boxing never appealed to me. 😉

Lucina said...

Hola!

Wow! I see that I'm in good company today. Rarely do I give up on a puzzle but today I had to; sports references just turn me off and diminish my interest.

After poking around a bit and getting nowhere, I knew I would not persevere even though now I see that the theme entries are actually well known phrases. But couched in sports terminology it's lost on me. Good for you and congratulations all who finished it.

I hope your Sunday is going well, everyone!

sumdaze said...

Thanks to Kyle for this Sunday outing! I bet our golfers on The Corner liked it.
Easter egg with LINK ???

UAE. Today is the last day of the Tour de France. Team UAE has performed spectacularly over the 3-week race. I have not yet seen the results from today's time trials but everyone is expecting Team UAE to win the team competition and their star, Tadej Pogacar, will win the GC!!

Thanks to C.C. for her recap! Shitake, bok choy, noodles, & warm broth ... Yum!

Jayce said...

I had to look up quite a few things in order to fill in all the cells today. I liked the theme. Lots to like and dislike in this puzzle; I won't list them.

Glad that Connie is healing. Good wishes to you all.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen, or heard of, Alex & Ani. Crossing that with Suni was cruel. So far as I could tell Aki and Suki were equally feasible.

As for 73A if Bankrupt means 'legally declared insolvent' then you are not bankrupt when you are filing for Chapter 11 protection. You might think you are incapable of paying your debts but a judge might disagree.

Grumpy Granny said...

Gave up after four hour struggle and less than half filled in. In my nearly 70 years of solving I've never experienced so much poor clueing. Patty Varol certainly didn't earn her salary today! Please, LAT Editors: don't allow such inane cluing in the pages of a newspaper which I've been purchasing for nearly 60 years!

Jayce said...

One files for bankruptcy.

Michael said...

I agree with Her Grumpiness -- No more krapy cluing. Please. Enough of the junque.

Michael said...

Sorry ... spellcheck didn't like "Kluing."

Anonymous said...

Kyle really fished out a toughie for a Sunday — had my brain twisted in knots in a few spots, esp. the SSW area, where I kept sticking on the many Kens in “Barbie” as SIMULae (as in digital duplicates). Thanks to the perps for finally saving me down there, as well as up top for BIALIK which I just couldn’t yank out of the abyss of my memory.

TwinsFEST?? Rings no bells on any level there, along with TAKEUP for “occupy”, = huh? And crossing proper names… c’mon, dude 🤮

@Jinx, “busking” is a term for performing in public places; I was a busker for short time in my early days when I lived in Hawai’i; it got me a temp gig in a Waikiki bar…two weeks before I had to go back home to school.

C.C., glad your sis-in-law is comin’ back ‘round in the gee-tar!

=====> Darren / L.A.