Theme: Buddy, Can You Spare A Dime? - Synonyms for living the dream.
20A. Inquiry meant to entrap: LOADED QUESTION
35A. Nonfluctuating method of doing things: SET FORMULA
40A. Impressionist once labeled "The Man of a Thousand Voices": RICH LITTLE
52A. Wealthy, and a hint to the first word of 20-, 35- and 40-Across: ROLLING IN DOUGH
Argyle here. The Monday mavens have struck again.
1. Android downloads: APPs
5. Array around a surge protector: WIRES. I would have said plugs.
10. Words after deal or count: ME IN. Or, as one word, my take-out order.
14. Bridges of Hollywood: BEAU
|(left to right) Jeff, Beau and Lloyd Bridges.|
15. Part of a sports complex: ARENA
16. Enveloping glow: AURA
17. "NBA Friday" channel: ESPN. (originally an initialism for Entertainment and Sports Programming Network)
18. Peachy: DANDY
19. Dental exam image: X-RAY
23. Right-angled shape: ELL
24. Per __: daily: DIEM
25. Freebies with a bowl of soup: CRACKERS
30. Mud __: type of wasp: DAUBER. Learn more here.
34. Sharp-eyed flier: HAWK
37. Org. supporting flossing: ADA. (American Dental Association)
38. Freelancer's encl.: SAE. (stamped addressed envelope or self-addressed envelope:)
39. QB scores: TD's. Touchdowns.
45. Pedometer unit: STEP
46. "Already?": "SO SOON?"
47. First-stringers: STARTERS
49. Honorary legal degs.: LLDs. Legum Doctor is a doctorate-level academic degree in law, or an honorary doctorate, depending on the jurisdiction. Wikipedia
51. Ipanema's city: RIO. Ipanema is a neighborhood located in the South Zone of the city of Rio de Janeiro.
59. Pop music's "hottest spot north of Havana": COPA. While your already dancing ....
60. Shut down: CEASE. What the heck; let's make it drei.
61. Three, in Germany: DREI
62. Baking chamber: OVEN
63. Makes docile: TAMES
64. Folklore brute: OGRE
65. Remain up in the air: PEND
66. Sport with clay disks: SKEET
67. Can't live without: NEED. Crosswords.
1. Brother of Cain: ABEL
2. Cuban currency: PESO
3. Respected Smurf: PAPA
4. Basking locale on a cruise ship: SUNDECK. On your way to Rio.
5. Walks like a duck: WADDLES. "If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck." Add, "Walks like a duck."
6. Baghdad's country: IRAQ
7. Eye care solution brand: RENU
8. Pulled the plug on: ENDED
9. Ties the knot: SAYS, "I DO"
10. Largest amount: MAXIMUM
11. Money in Malta: EURO
12. Mideast nation in a 2015 nuclear deal: IRAN
13. Vote against: NAY
21. Lodge logo animal: ELK. The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
22. Hazmat suit hazard: TEAR. Hazmat is an abbreviation for “hazardous materials”.
25. Seals in the juices of: CHARS
26. Traffic report source: RADIO
27. Spy plane acronym: AWACS. (airborne warning and control system)
28. Sit for a bit: REST
29. ERA and RBI, e.g.: STATS. Statistics for earned run average and run batted in.
31. Montana city: BUTTE
32. Tribal leader: ELDER
33. Talks hoarsely: RASPS
36. Stetson hat material: FELT
41. The Netherlands, informally: HOLLAND
42. Lounge around: LOLL
43. Formally accuses of, with "for": INDICTS
44. Heart-to-heart: EARNEST
45. Used to change a ceiling light bulb, as a chair: STOOD ON. Not a good idea.
48. Relieved (of): RID
50. Move on tiptoe, say: SNEAK
52. Wander: ROVE
53. Take the lid off: OPEN
54. It usually has a set of rules: GAME
55. "That makes sense": "I SEE"
56. Hard-to-resist feeling: URGE
57. Actor Richard: GERE
58. Moved quickly, old-style: HIED
59. Squad car driver: COP. Car 54, where are you?
I shall stand not upon the order of my going, but go at once. I won't stand on a chair either.