Theme: Bookends - Same letters at start and end of theme entries.
65A. Wander aimlessly ... and a hint to a divided word in the answers to starred clues: BUM AROUND
17A. *Half a percussion pair: BONGO DRUM
24A. *Fill-in-the-blanks agreement, e.g.: BUSINESS FORM
34A. *Cake soaked in alcoholic syrup: BABA AU RHUM
44A. *Brand for bubble blowers: BAZOOKA GUM
52A. *Security device that may be silent: BURGLAR ALARM
Argyle here. A lot of entries for a Monday but little trouble. Gotta love a puzzle with FONZARELLI.
1. Rifle range rounds: AMMO
5. Rainfall measure: INCH. Lately, that should be plural.
9. Transitional state: LIMBO
14. Bread buy: LOAF
15. NYC area above Houston Street: NOHO. Not as famous as SOHO.
16. Hunter constellation: ORION
19. "__ bleu!": SACRÉ
20. From India, say: ASIAN
21. Civil uprising: RIOT
23. Account exec: REP. (representative)
28. Post-WWII feminine flier: WAF. Women in the Air Force (WAF), organized in 1948 and active until 1976.
31. Small swallow: SIP. No, not a bird.
32. __ bubbles: SOAP
33. Bigheadedness: EGO
39. Cake pan trademark: BUNDT
42. Zilch: NIL
43. Africa's Sierra __: LEONE
47. Trivial point: NIT
48. Yet again: ANEW
49. High-arcing tennis shot: LOB
51. Purported UFO fliers: ETs. (Extra-Terrestrial)
57. Opposite of WNW: ESE
58. __ about: roughly: ON OR
59. Soothed: EASED
63. Golf analyst Nick: FALDO
68. Get ready to compete, bodybuilder-style: OIL UP
69. Parting words?: OBIT. (Obituary)
70. Actress Hayworth: RITA
|National Screen Heritage Award of the National Film Society (1978)|
71. Crisscross frameworks: GRIDS. The answer is right there in front of us!
72. London gallery: TATE
73. __-bitsy: ITSY
1. Actress Jessica: ALBA
2. Cattle chorus: MOOs
3. Salon service with a pedi: MANI. (pedicure/manicure)
4. Gift __: chattiness: OF GAB
5. Hoosier St.: IND. (Indiana)
6. Here-there link: NOR
7. Butter-making device: CHURN. I found one like this in our horse barn.
8. Bro: HOMIE
9. One in need of spiritual guidance: LOST SOUL
10. Gershwin brother: IRA
11. Emcee's need: MICROPHONE
12. Destructive insect: BORER
13. Hr. after noon: ONE PM
18. Burden: ONUS
22. Mount of Greek myth: OSSA. In Greek mythology, the Aloadaes attempted to pile Mount Pelion on top of Mount Ossa in an attempt to scale Mount Olympus.
25. Bro, to a sis: SIB. (sibling)
26. "Brusha, brusha, brusha" toothpaste: IPANA
27. Cab ride price: FARE
28. Jack of "Dragnet": WEBB
|Jack Webb Harry Morgan Dragnet 1968|
29. Water, to Juan: AGUA
30. Full last name of a "Happy Days" cool dude: FONZARELLI
35. Gargantuan: BIG
36. __ in the conversation: A LULL
37. Self-storage compartment: UNIT
38. Citi Field team: METS. The New York Mets, National League East division.
40. Doorbell sound: "DONG!" (the DING! is broken.)
41. Figure skating jumps: TOE LOOPS
45. Nine-time U.S. skating champ Michelle: KWAN
46. Extinct emu-like bird: MOA
50. Uncle Remus rabbit's title: BR'ER
52. Confuse: BEFOG
53. TWA competitor: USAIR. Both names are no longer in use.
54. Many a modern assembly-line worker: ROBOT
55. Caribbean resort isle: ARUBA
56. New Zealand settler: MAORI. What they think of us? Pic
60. Hearts or clubs: SUIT
61. Sinus docs: ENTs. (ears, nose, throat)
62. WWII turning point: D-DAY. June 6, 1944.
64. Defective firecracker: DUD
66. Cambridge univ.: MIT. (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
67. Munched on: ATE