Title: Any PORT in a storm. Maybe we can go drinking at that place on the left in Oporto, where they hook you to an IV to get you the liquor quicker.
We also continue our trend to bring back constructors from the past, this time with Lt. Col. (ret.) Beisner who had ONE previous publication that I have located. He did stop by to say hello that day, perhaps he will again. With all the gridspanning you would expect little room for long sparkly fill, but we do have ESCROW, TUNEUP, FANNED, AWAY TEAM, TARHEELS, PRINCESS and ROSE OILS. Now it is time to look at the theme:
20A. Port : CITY WITH A HARBOR (15).
25A. Port : AFTER DINNER WINE (15).
43A. Port : LEFT SIDE OF A SHIP (15).
48A. Port : CONNECTION POINT (15).
A nice set; now the rest.
1. Cabo's peninsula : BAJA. Cabo San Lucas, a resort city on the southern tip of Mexico’s Baja California peninsula, is known for its beaches, water-based activities and nightlife. Playa El Médano is Cabo’s main beach, with outdoor restaurants and numerous bars. Past the marina is Land's End promontory, site of Playa del Amor (Lover's Beach) and El Arco, a natural archway in the seacliffs.
5. Stupefy : BESOT. Getting drunk with love.
10. Earthy shade : ECRU. They really do not agree on this simple ("Raw") color.
14. "Don't have __, man!" : A COW. Bart must be a fan of his namesake Simpson. A nice subtle Selfie SO.
15. Jennifer Saunders' "Ab Fab" role : EDINA. The frumpy one; Patsy was Joanna Lumley who was a replacement for Mrs. Peele when they tried the New Avengers.
16. Room service challenge : SLOB.
17. Simba's mate : NALA. Disney's Lion King Queen.
18. Pack animal? : HIKER. This was hard for being so easy.
19. Shrewd : CUTE. I understand it now, nut also hard to suss.
23. Heavy weight : TON.
24. It may need a boost : EGO.
34. "Mean Girls" actress : LOHAN. Rumored to be trying to get a sequel going to revive her now dead career.
35. Instrument heard in the Doobie Brothers' "Black Water" : VIOLA. Their producer, the great Ted Templeton did not see it as a hit.
36. Lived and breathed : WAS.
37. Uncompromising : GRIM. Hmm.
38. __ nus: barefoot, in Bordeaux : PIEDS. High level French. A very pedestrian clue.
39. Hilarious one : RIOT.
40. Scotch datum : AGE. I pass this to the Tinman to explain.
41. Construct : ERECT.
42. Friend of Jerry and George : COSMO. Kramer.
46. Org. with a square-rigger on its seal : USN. See the square-rigger? You all can discuss.
47. Jungle swinger : APE. I always heard it was tarzan who was a swinger who would go both ways.
57. Ointment additive : ALOE.
58. De Valera of Ireland : EAMON. The perps were solid and I needed 'em all. New York City native, Éamon de Valera was a prominent politician and statesman in twentieth-century Ireland. His political career spanned over half a century, from 1917 to 1973; he served several terms as head of government and head of state, as taoiseach (prime minister; 1932–48, 1951–54, 1957–59) and president (1959–73) of Ireland. (various)
59. "Dies __" : IRAE.
60. Array of options : MENU.
61. Urban air problem : SMAZE. No thanks, this all sminks to me.
62. Reposed : LAIN.
63. Rear deck : POOP. Is that why we call...oh never mind.
64. Blush-inducing H.S. class : SEX-ED.
65. House meas. : SQ FT. Why are square feet not square? Why not call them SQUEET?
1. Judicial seat : BANC. Literally bench in French (take that Owen and Moe!)
2. Smoothie fruit : ACAI. Ah I See
3. Cola named for its intended effect : JOLT. A Louisiana slant.
4. Football squad in white jerseys, typically : AWAY TEAM. Why? Television I bet. LINK.
5. Lagging : BEHIND.
6. Time change? : EDIT. huh?
7. Turbaned Punjabi : SIKH.
8. Selective Service classification : ONE-A.
9. Blue Devils' rival : TARHEELS. Duke University and U. of North Carolina. ETYMOLOGY.
10. Homeowner's account, perhaps : ESCROW. Most financial institutions require borrowers to pay into such an account every month to insure money is available to pay taxes and insurance on property. It also is where we hold deposits until closing.
11. Kind of sandwich or soda : CLUB. Or something I can hit you with, or deal to you.
12. Tiller opening? : ROTO. Want to know how to BUY one?
13. Taxi alternative : UBER. How many of you have used Uber or Lyft?
21. Unlike new clothes : WORN. Most of my new clothes get worn...
22. Indian tourist mecca : AGRA. Want to book a TOUR?
25. Like some pond growth : ALGAL. I know it is probably legit but all I see is
26. Blacksmith's need : FORGE.
27. Copper? : THIEF. A nice reversal here, as the copper is not the cop but the one who cops what is not his.
28. Like Wrigley Field's walls : IVIED.
29. Many a flower girl : NIECE. Mine was a granddaughter.
30. Acknowledge, in a way : NOD TO.
31. "It'd be a dream come true" : I WISH.
32. Judd matriarch : NAOMI.
33. Legally prohibit : ESTOP. We also obtain estoppel letters from Condo associations etc.
38. One of Disney's official eleven : PRINCESS. As of 2015, the eleven characters considered part of the franchise are Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Ariel, Belle, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Tiana, Rapunzel and Merida.
39. Perfume staples : ROSE OILS.
41. Forum infinitive : ESSE. Latin to be.
42. Yokum cartoonist : CAPP. Alfred Gerald Caplin, better known as Al Capp, was an American cartoonist and humorist best known for the satirical comic strip Li'l Abner, which he created in 1934 and continued writing and drawing until 1977. Wiki.
44. Garage service : TUNE-UP.
45. Agitated : FANNED. Fanning the fire? Again, not me.
48. Where much tie-dyeing takes place : CAMP. Really?
49. Kitchen bar : OLEO.
50. Prohibition : NO NO.
51. Tone down : TAME.
52. Camera that uses 70mm film : IMAX.
53. Move like honey : OOZE.
54. Modern-day Mesopotamia : IRAQ. Iran is Persia.
55. Newbie : NAIF. The same root as Naive.
56. Commonly anchored shelter : TENT.
Well it is time for me to fold my tent and rest my weary legs. Lucky 13 to all, thanks and come talk Bart. Lemonade out.