17A. Color named for a fruit : LIME GREEN. Green thumb, the ability to grow healthy plants.
37A. Legendary Lady Godiva watcher : PEEPING TOM. Tom Thumb, disambiguation There are several.
42A. Stiff from horseback riding : SADDLE SORE. Sore thumb, something you don't want to stand out like.
62A. Clumsy ... or what the ends of 17-, 37- and 42-Across are? : ALL THUMBS
Argyle here. Bit unusual to have entries longer than the themes but not confusing. They add some panache to an easy-peasy Monday.
1. Flat-topped hill : MESA. Not loma this time.
5. Bash thrower : HOST
9. Arctic or Antarctic : OCEAN
14. "Are you asleep yet?" response : "I'M UP". Would not be my response.
15. Not tricked by : ON TO
16. Modeler's wood : BALSA
19. Like a mosquito bite : ITCHY
20. "Ah-oo-gah" horn : KLAXON
21. __ rally : PEP
23. Howls at the moon : BAYS
24. "Hold on a __" : SEC
25. Seek the affections of : WOO
27. Stop producing opportunities, as a financial market : DRY UP
29. Prefix with red : INFRA
31. What a musty room needs : AIRING
34. Ancient invader of Rome : GOTH
39. Converse competitor : AVIA
40. Gets rid of, as weight : LOSES
41. Park path : LANE
44.Soon, quaintly : ANON
45. Set aside a day for : PLAN ON
46. Word before house or plant : POWER
48. Oafs : LOUTS
50. Tyke : TOT
51. Eric Stonestreet's "Modern Family" role : CAM. In his role as Cameron Tucker on Modern Family, Stonestreet has earned three consecutive Primetime Emmy Award nominations for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (2010, 2011 and 2012), winning the award in 2010 and 2012. He also received three Golden Globe Award nominations (2010, 2011 and 2013) for his work on the series.
54. New Zealand fruit : KIWI
56. Affirmative vote : YEA The other side. 13D. Negative votes : NAYS
58. Pepsi competitor : RC COLA
60. Slip past : EVADE
64. Judge's hammer : GAVEL
65. Jacob's first wife : LEAH
66. Lewd material : SMUT
67. Go on tiptoe : SNEAK
68. Like centerfolds : SEXY
69. Glazed Easter meats : HAMS
1. Does a farm job : MILKS. I guess mucks isn't a Monday word.
2. Author Zola : ÉMILE. "J'accuse"
3. "Poison" plant : SUMAC
4. Peak : APEX
5. Cornucopia : HORN OF PLENTY
6. "__ Life to Live" : ONE. A soap opera that had a 43 year run. Any fans?
7. Dance move : STEP
8. Got into shape, with "up" : TONED
9. __-Wan Kenobi : OBI. Star Wars.
10. Agile thief : CAT BURGLAR
11. Yosemite monolith popular with rock climbers : EL CAPITAN
12. Pale as a ghost : ASHY
18. Red-carpet garment : GOWN
22. Commendable : PRAISE WORTHY
26. Black-and-white cookies : OREOs
28. Yang counterpart : YIN
29. "That never occurred to me" : "I HAD NO IDEA"
30. Ancient storyteller : AESOP
32. Forbidden act : NO-NO
33. Fed. agents : G-MEN
34. Quick inhalation : GASP
35. Running track shape : OVAL
36. Seaside disaster cause : TIDAL WAVE
38. 1995 Reform Party founder : PEROT. (H. Ross Perot)
43. Singer Reed : LOU
47. Engrave on glass, say : ETCH
49. Makes watertight : SEALS
51. Punctuation mark in large numbers : COMMA
52. Scrapbook : ALBUM
53. Supports for sails : MASTS
54. Tapped beer holders : KEGS
55. Tennis great Lendl : IVAN
57. Out of the wind : ALEE
59. Like an easy job, slangily : CUSH. (cushy)
61. Moose relative : ELK
63. Southern Cal. airport : LAX
1) Belatedly Happy Birthday to Lea's grandma Kay (Kazie), who joined this blog the year I started. I'm awfully sorry that I blanked on Saturday morning, Kay! We've been in a frenzy to prepare for our card show next week. I hope Barry and you did something special.
|Kay and her husband Barry on Tamborine Mountain, overlooking Brisbane|
2) The real Big Easy sent me these pictures of Justin Rose, the winner (22 under par) of the Zurich Classics. Big Easy has been volunteering for the event for years. The other Big Easy skipped the event.