Theme: Colorful Characters - Four compound phrases that begin with a color and end with a character; the color can be descriptive of a human condition and the character can also represent a ball player. That is how the answer is clued.
Argyle here. I labored over how to describe the theme longer than it took to solve the puzzle. Jeff has given us an almost clunker free fill. Some might say there were too many proper names; oh well.
Also noticeable in the grid is the two Down non-theme 15's:
3D. Fast food pickup site : DRIVE-THRU WINDOW
11D. Reprimands : READS THE RIOT ACT.
1. Cheryl of "Charlie's Angels" : LADD. Lovely Image.
5. Screwdriver liquor : VODKA
10. "Logically, then ..." : ERGO
14. The "height" part of a height phobia : ACRO. Acrophobia.
15. Have __ to pick : A BONE
16. Red Army leader Trotsky : LEON. Trotsky died in 1940 after he was attacked in his home in Mexico by a Stalin follower with an ice axe.
19. Vietnam neighbor : LAOS
20. Cuts off : SEVERS
21. Architect I.M. : PEI
22. Advantage : EDGE
23. Very long time : EON
24. Indy 500 entrant : RACER. Clip(1:19) of the crazy last lap of this year's race
26. Tippler : SOT
27. Memo-directing abbr. : ATTN.
29. Actress Sorvino : MIRA. Image. or maybe this one. Image. Let us know if they work for you. 10:50 Maybe this one will work. Image.
30. Voice below soprano : ALTO
32. "Don't make me laugh!" : "HAH!"
36. Boeing competitor : AIRBUS
38. Strolls down to the saloon : MOSEYS
43. Gun, as a V6 : REV. To accelerate an engine.
44. Ran a tab : OWED
45. Mine products : ORES
46. Talk like Daffy : LISP
47. __ Lanka : SRI
48. Went off course, nautically : YAWED
50. "Little Red Book" writer : MAO. Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung comprises 427 quotations, divided thematically into 33 chapters.
51. Prefix with directional : OMNI
53. "Community" network : NBC
54. Sealy alternatives : SERTAs. Mattresses.
57. Arp's art movement : DADA
60. Take too much of, briefly : OD ON. Over-Dosed on.
61. Me-tooer's phrase : SO DO I
62. Teen outbreak : ACNE
63. Noises from itty-bitty kitties : MEWS
64. Online status update limited to 140 characters : TWEET
65. 'Vette roof option : T-TOP
1. Cops enforce them : LAWS
2. Yen : ACHE
4. Pamper : DOTE ON
5. Chocolate factory vessels : VATS
6. __-Wan Kenobi : OBI. from Star Wars.
7. Where boxers and pugs play : DOG PARK
8. Leg joint protector : KNEE CAP
9. Cliffside nest : AERIE
10. Cosmo rival : ELLE
12. Looks that lovers make : GOOGOO EYES
13. Beginning : ONSET
18. Bird by the beach : ERN
24. __ Tin Tin : RIN. Clip. (0:32)
25. Yakked and yakked : RAN ON
27. Starbuck's captain : AHAB. Starbuck was the young first mate of the Pequod in Moby-Dick.
28. Like a custom suit : TAILOR-MADE. But I rather have these Taylor made.
29. Soup with sushi : MISO
31. Capt.'s subordinates : LTs. Lieutenants.
33. "I tawt I taw a __ tat!" : PUDDY
34. French friends : AMIs
35. Letters on reply cards : RSVP
37. Drone or worker : BEE. or melissa.
40. Unsophisticated : LOWBROW
41. Come before : PRECEDE
42. "If __ only listened!" : HE'D. It will be my epitaph.
46. Rope at a rodeo : LARIAT
47. City destroyed by fire and brimstone : SODOM. And Gomorrah.
49. Common teen emotion : ANGST
50. Ryan of "When Harry Met Sally..." : MEG. Gotta link the classic... Clip.
52. Actors McKellen and Holm : IANs
54. Agitated state : SNIT
55. A.D. part : ANNO
56. Armstrong's "small" stride : STEP
59. Fair-hiring inits. : EOE. Equal Opportunity Employer