20A. Understand how things are done : KNOW THE ROPES
36A. Places to see links : FRENCH CUFFS. Cufflink.
42A. Simple floral garlands : DAISY CHAINS
58A. Stage name of Ehrich Weiss, for whom the ends of 20-, 36- and 42-Across were props : HARRY HOUDINI
Argyle here. If Monday and Tuesday are any indication, we are in for a tough week.
1. Its "fleece was white as snow" : LAMB. If you started here, you might have thought we were getting a speed run. Wrong.
5. __ Sutra : KAMA. An ancient Indian Hindu text.
9. Go with the flow : ADAPT
14. Pastoral verse : IDYL
15. Pink-slipped : AXED
16. Ladies' man : ROMEO
17. Nicolas of "Adaptation" : CAGE. 2002 comedy-drama film. Poster.
18. Got one's uniform dirty, maybe : SLID. Baseball.
19. Mississippi, e.g. : STATE
23. Many frozen dinners are high in it : SODIUM
24. Taker of vows : NUN
25. Def Jam genre : RAP. Hip-hop music label.
28. Native American group : TRIBE
31. As plain as day, e.g. : SIMILE
33. Tax pro : CPA
38. Friend : ALLY
40. Cancún uncle : TIO. Cancún aunt : TIA. Cancún reveler : WILD
41. 36-Across opening : SLIT. The place for the cufflink in a French Cuff.
47. Fair-hiring initials : EEO. Equal Employment Opportunity.
48. Forensic facility : DNA LAB
49. Spy wear : CLOAK. Magician wear, too.
51. Sí or oui : YES
52. Do-favor link : ME A
54. Broadsided : T-BONED
61. Wife of Abraham : SARAH. Sarah (originally called Saray) was Abraham's main wife. In addition, Abraham had two more wives: Hagar (the mother of Ishmael) and Keturah.
64. Long, long time : AEON
65. "__ Three Lives": TV oldie : I LED. Synopsis.
66. Michelangelo work : PIETA. Sculpture.
67. Pear variety : BOSC
68. Charity : ALMS
69. Suisse peaks : ALPES. French spelling.
70. Like an animated Pea? : SWEE'. It is implied that Swee'Pea is Popeye's nephew.
71. Cold-cock : KAYO. Knock out with one punch, like Popeye would do after he ate his spinach.
1. The home team gets the last ones : LICKS. Baseball again.
2. Hersey's "A Bell For __" : ADANO
3. "Nearer, __, to Thee" : MY GOD
4. Messed up : BLEW IT
5. Former Asian state known for goat wool : KASHMIR. Today Kashmir denotes a larger area that includes the Indian-administered state of Jammu and Kashmir (the Kashmir valley, Jammu and Ladakh), the Pakistani-administered Gilgit-Baltistan and the Azad Kashmir provinces, and the Chinese-administered regions of Aksai Chin and Trans-Karakoram Tract. Would Led Zeppelin still go there? Clip.(8:32)
6. Wheel holder : AXLE
7. Golda of Israel : MEIR. 4th Prime Minister of Israel in office from March, 1969 to June, 1974.
8. Supplement : ADD ON
9. Poison in some whodunits : ARSENIC. Like "Arsenic and Old Lace", performed in high schools everywhere.
10. Kids' book connectables : DOTS. Connect-A-Dot.
11. GP's gp. : AMA. A general practitioner (GP) is almost a thing of the past.
12. Gently stroke : PET
13. Place for a ring : TOE
21. Racetrack surface : TURF. Usually inside the dirt track. Image.
22. Door sign : PUSH
25. Go through energetically, as drawers : RIFLE. Also in some whodunits.
26. 1966 Michael Caine title role : "ALFIE". Song.
27. Pasta topper : PESTO
29. "Little Women" woman : BETH. Four sisters – Meg, Jo, Beth, and Amy.
30. Pioneering computer : ENIAC
32. Letters before nus : MUs. 12th(mu) and 13th(nu), letters of the Greek alphabet.
33. Tea leaves holder : CADDY. Box or casket with a hinged lid and lock used for storing tea leaves. Caddy is derived from the Malay kati, a unit of weight for tea. Cuppa, do you concur?
34. Wood shaver : PLANE
35. Fake name : ALIAS
37. Slinky's shape : COIL
39. Fashion monogram : YSL. Yves Saint Laurent.
43. Steinway alternatives : YAMAHAs. Pianos.
44. Trucker with a handle : CBer
45. Never : NOT ONCE
46. "Elephant Boy" actor : SABU. Black and white movie 1937.
50. Alaskan brown bear : KODIAK
53. Iraqis, usually : ARABS
55. Nabisco brand named for its flavor : NILLA
56. The Penguin, to Batman : ENEMY
57. Playground retort : "DID SO!"
58. Can't stand : HATE
59. "Ouch!" : "YEOW!"
60. Fire truck item : HOSE
61. Mineral spring : SPA
62. Feel sick : AIL
63. Workout unit : REP