Theme: Oh Oh, It's W's This Time - The duo's last puzzle was two words that started with "O". This time it is three words that start with "W".
20A. "Just lookee here" : "WELL, WELL, WELL"
33A. "But it was working when I left!" : "WHAT WENT WRONG?"
40A. 2000 Mel Gibson film : "WHAT WOMEN WANT"
55. Information superhighway whose abbreviation inspired this puzzle's theme : WORLD WIDE WEB
Argyle here. Maybe this is a start of a wonderfully wacky week. Fifty blocks for the theme on a Monday.
1. Indian spiced tea : CHAI
5. Certain PC laptops : IBM's
9. Attack baked-on grease, say : SCRUB
14. Posterior : HIND
15. Ding-a-ling : KOOK
16. On the __: no charge : HOUSE
17. Hence : ERGO
18. World's longest river : NILE
19. "Shucks!" : "AW, GEE!"
23. Plank in a playground : SEESAW
24. "Exodus" actor Mineo : SAL
25. "__ you listening to me?" : ARE
28. Genie's offering : WISH
31. Blubbered : SOBBED
36. German eight : ACHT
38. "As I see it," in email : IMO. (in my opinion)
39. Like a pretentious museumgoer : ARTY
45. Transparent : LIMPID. "Those cool and LIMPID green eyes".
46. Clutter-free : NEAT
47. __-cone: shaved ice dessert : SNO
48. Christmas cupful : NOG. Hmm, an eggnog sno-cone.
50. 1980 Olivia Newton-John/ELO hit : XANADU. Ever watch the movie? IMDb
58. Comic Smirnoff : YAKOV. "What a country" Where is he now? He has been in Branson, MO. Site.
61. Lake bordering Ohio : ERIE
62. "__Cop": 1987 film : ROBO. Two sequels and a TV series, none as good as the original, imo.
63. Trim whiskers : SHAVE
64. Gullible types : SAPS
65. Gumbo veggie : OKRA. Pickled or deep fried?
66. Down the road : LATER
67. Manuscript editor's "Leave it in" : STET
68. You may be ushered to one : SEAT
1. Works on a licorice stick : CHEWS
2. New staffer : HIREE
3. Protractor measure : ANGLE
4. Fan favorites : IDOLS
5. "Told you so!" : "I KNEW IT!"
6. Swelter : BOIL
7. Gangland gal : MOLL
8. Depicts unfairly, as data : SKEWS
9. Like kiddie pools : SHALLOW. [NO DIVING]
10. Monk's hood : COWL. Cowlies?
11. Piece on one's head : RUG. Good one.
12. Take advantage of : USE
13. Blossom buzzer : BEE. Alliteration extended to the answer.
21. Electric guitar effect : WA-WA. Guide to Guitar - The Wawa pedal.
22. Oregon-to-New York direction : EAST
25. End abruptly : ABORT
26. Lessor's charge : RENT. "Dollars for quarters" - that was a good one.
27. On pins and needles : EDGY
29. Enjoy a dip : SWIM
30. Studly dudes : HE-MEN
32. Stuff in a muffin : BRAN
33. Hula Hoop manufacturer : WHAMO. And so much more.
34. Start of a 55-Across address : HTTP. (Hypertext Transfer Protocol)
35. Sold-out amount : NONE. I got caught thinking how much was sold instead of how much was left.
36. Hole-making tools : AWLs. (Leather working)
37. Goatee's location : CHIN. A pointed tuftlike beard on the chin, so called from its resemblance to a male goat's chin hairs.
41. Persuade : WIN OVER
42. Sign of spoilage : ODOR
43. Most shiny, as a car : WAXIEST
44. Ever so slightly : A TAD
49. Sharon of "Cagney & Lacey" : GLESS. Let's see if I can get it right this time. Sharon Gless was Cagney and Tyne Daly was Lacey.
51. Pianist Peter and a fiddling emperor : NEROs. But they never played a duet.
52. Came to : AWOKE
53. Messing of "Will & Grace" : DEBRA. The show was just as much "Jack and Karen".
54. WWII attacker : U-BOAT. The U-boat was underwater and the E-boat was on the water. Both carried torpedos.
55. Used a loom : WOVE
56. "Phooey!" : "DRAT!"
57. Use a rag on : WIPE
58. Pricey handbag letters : YSL. (Yves Saint Laurent)
59. "Bingo!" : "A-HA!"
60. Kit __: candy bar : KAT. For breakfast?
Notes from C.C.
1) Happy one year blog anniversary to dear Irish Miss (Agnes), a mysterious lady with 12 rings. Argyle met with Irish Miss twice and said she's just as kind and charming as she is on the blog. In fact, they're going to meet again this morning for coffee.
2) Happy Birthday to our beautiful JD, who has been with the blog since 2008. It's so much fun watching her family grow.
Here is a photo of JD's family in April 2008 when her daughter Shelby got married. Truman was just a tiny baby.
Here is a photo taken in 2012 when their family went to San Diego to celebrate JD's birthday.
Also great news: Cameron will be a big brother in July. Congratulations again, JD!